PDA

View Full Version : When does Shaq retire and where does his jersey hang?

milkshakeballa
05-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Thoughts?

When will Shaq retire?

Where will his jersey retire? My mind and heart tell me LA...but with the nasty breakup that happened.....

namlook
05-09-2010, 02:23 PM
The Lakers will definitely retire Shaq's number but they will probably make him wait a couple years after he retires to pay him back for publically trash talking Dr Buss.

N4th4n
05-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Shaq should clearly be retired as a Sun.

TheMACHINE
05-09-2010, 02:59 PM
he'll retire no where. Burned to many bridges imo.

namlook
05-09-2010, 03:01 PM
he'll retire no where. Burned to many bridges imo.

The Lakers organization is too classy to not retire Shaq. They will do it. Guaranteed.

HarlemHeat37
05-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Shaq was the best player on a 3-peat in LA, obviously he should have his jersey in the rafters there, even though most Laker fans no longer appreciate his previous contributions..

Giuseppe
05-09-2010, 03:48 PM
The fact that Phil came back, hat-in-hand, tail tucked proved Bryant to be correct about Jackson & thusly Daddy. Kobe will have quantitative say about Daddy's treatment by the Lakers as he did Jackson's treatment.

FkLA
05-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Can you have your # retired by two teams? I would think he did enough at both Orlando and LA to warrant his number hanging in the rafters.

LakerHater
05-09-2010, 03:54 PM
In Shaunie Nelson's house!

TampaDude
05-09-2010, 03:55 PM
Shaq will retire as a Laker, no question.

Dex
05-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Thoughts?

When will Shaq retire?

Where will his jersey retire? My mind and heart tell me LA...but with the nasty breakup that happened.....

I think Shaq will play for two more years, following the same formula he followed this season: miss half of the regular season with "injuries", then show up for the playoffs.

If Shaq's jersey is hung anywhere, it will be in L.A, and I think it will be one day. The breakup was ugly, but people have forgotten about that over the years. Those three banners are still hanging in the rafters, though.

adidas11
05-09-2010, 04:25 PM
He is one of the greatest players in our franchise's history. His jersey will definitely be retired at Staples.

The fact that Phil came back, hat-in-hand, tail tucked proved Bryant to be correct about Jackson & thusly Daddy. Kobe will have quantitative say about Daddy's treatment by the Lakers as he did Jackson's treatment.

This is one of the worst posts that I've ever seen on this message board. Pathetic.

Trainwreck2100
05-09-2010, 04:30 PM
He is one of the greatest players in our franchise's history. His jersey will definitely be retired at Staples.

This is one of the worst posts that I've ever seen on this message board. Pathetic.

adidas you're og, don't take cully seriously. Also of cours miami will retire him, they retired jordan and he didn't play for them

N4th4n
05-09-2010, 04:32 PM

Quantitative: That is, or may be, measured or assessed with respect to or on the basis of quantity; that may be expressed in terms of quantity; quantifiable.

What you mean is

Qualitative: Of or relating to quality or qualities; measuring, or measured by, the quality of something. In later use often contrasted with quantitative.

Don't try to sound smart unless you can pull off the ruse without error. Otherwise you really look like a retard.

Leetonidas
05-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Quantitative: That is, or may be, measured or assessed with respect to or on the basis of quantity; that may be expressed in terms of quantity; quantifiable.

What you mean is

Qualitative: Of or relating to quality or qualities; measuring, or measured by, the quality of something. In later use often contrasted with quantitative.

Don't try to sound smart unless you can pull off the ruse without error. Otherwise you really look like a retard.

:lmao

Cane
05-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Undoubtedly he'll get his jersey retired in LA. Best Laker since Magic.

Killakobe81
05-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Shaq was the best player on a 3-peat in LA, obviously he should have his jersey in the rafters there, even though most Laker fans no longer appreciate his previous contributions..

That is BS ...yes we do. He was an aSS but he led us to 3 titles ESPECIALLY the first one ...the other 2 titles Kobe (foremost) horry and Fish played much larger hands in ...

But you outsiders gave Shaq too much credit for them ...Shaq was not clutch, couldnt hit FT's and never made a game winner or go ahead clitching basket in that run ...

But he was the star and leader of that team

Goran Dragic
05-09-2010, 05:03 PM
That is BS ...yes we do. He was an aSS but he led us to 3 titles ESPECIALLY the first one ...the other 2 titles Kobe (foremost) horry and Fish played much larger hands in ...

But you outsiders gave Shaq too much credit for them ...Shaq was not clutch, couldnt hit FT's and never made a game winner or go ahead clitching basket in that run ...

But he was the star and leader of that team

He averaged close to 37 points and 17 rebounds in the finals those three years, how the hell is that not clutch?

ChrisRichards
05-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Lakers

3 Finals MVPs

/thread

BadOdor
05-09-2010, 05:22 PM
He averaged close to 37 points and 17 rebounds in the finals those three years, how the hell is that not clutch?

Son killa is as dumb as they come, you should be spending your time preparing for another spur ass raping instead of replying to him.

Goran Dragic
05-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Sons Tony Parker will be guarding me, no preparation needed.

Daddy_Of_All_Trolls
05-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Can you have your # retired by two teams? I would think he did enough at both Orlando and LA to warrant his number hanging in the rafters.
Kareem Abdul Jabbar's number 33 is retired in both Los Angeles and Milwaukee.

Giuseppe
05-09-2010, 05:57 PM

What you mean is

I got me a fresh fish.

tee, hee.

Champs15
05-09-2010, 06:04 PM
Shaq retires in a year or so and without a doubt the Buss Family will honor Shaq by retiring his number and hang his Jersey at Staples.

I don't think the Magic/Suns/Heat/Cavs will hang his jersey or retire his number.

N4th4n
05-09-2010, 06:31 PM
I got me a fresh fish.

tee, hee.

You already used that line! Come on Cubby, I expect a little more originality. :depressed

Ya gotta give me something to work with.

adidas11
05-09-2010, 08:55 PM

You should watch game 7 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals, overtime...Shaq made clutch baskets in that overtime.

Also, there weren't as many opportunities to be "clutch", because the Lakers were always dominating throughout anyhow in the playoffs.

Get a clue.

Killakobe81
05-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Son killa is as dumb as they come, you should be spending your time preparing for another spur ass raping instead of replying to him.

You my son are an idiot. I am just posting facts you can sscore points without being clutch.

I said Shaq was the star and the leader Kobe was the closer ...Horry most clutch Fisher 2nd ..what more can I say?

Killakobe81
05-09-2010, 09:01 PM
You should watch game 7 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals, overtime...Shaq made clutch baskets in that overtime.

Also, there weren't as many opportunities to be "clutch", because the Lakers were always dominating throughout anyhow in the playoffs.

Get a clue.

Ok in a 3 year run you pointed to one game ...
I have been watching the lakers for 30 year YOU go get a fyucking clue ...

In Lakers history clutch: West, Kobe, Magic Horry, fisher Worthy and Kareem

In Lakers history great players but no so clutch: SHAQ, Baylor, Pau, wilt Eddie Jones (not great but one of my faves not so clutch)

Just beacuse you are a great player or put up great stats does NOT make you clutch: Karl malone, Clyde Drexler, Pat Ewing, Pippen, etc all come to mind.

I FORGOT more Lakers and NBA basketball then most of you ass pirates EVEN have a clue about ... so PLEASE dont bring weak arguments to this discussion.

Shaq was a great player but when you look up clutch he is not ...how can a 50% FT shooter ever TRULY be clutch?!

HarlemHeat37
05-09-2010, 09:02 PM

In Lakers history great but no so clutch: SHAQ, Baylor, Pau

Just beacuse you are a greaty player does NOT make you clutch: Karl malone, Clyde Drexler, Pat Ewing, Pippen, etc all come to mind.

I know more Lakers and NBA basketball then most of you ass pirates so PLEASE dont bring weak arguments to this discussion.

Shaq was a great player but when you look up clutch he is not ...how can a 50% FT shooter ever TRULY be clutch?!

:rollin:rollin

BadOdor
05-09-2010, 09:08 PM

In Lakers history great players but no so clutch: SHAQ, Baylor, Pau, wilt Eddie Jones (not great but one of my faves not so clutch)

Just beacuse you are a great player or put up great stats does NOT make you clutch: Karl malone, Clyde Drexler, Pat Ewing, Pippen, etc all come to mind.

I FORGOT more Lakers and NBA basketball then most of you ass pirates EVEN have a clue about ... so PLEASE dont bring weak arguments to this discussion.

Son, when you have someone averging 30 and 17, yo don't need someone to be "clutch", because you practically sweep your way to the title like the lakers did in 2001.

shaq = number 1 guy on 3 championship teams.

Now, O'm not saying kobe wasn't a vital part, because he was, but shaq was clearly the number 1 guy - let go off kobe's nuts, son.

Killakobe81
05-09-2010, 11:03 PM
apparently you can NOT read ...I SAID Shaq was the leader and Shaq was the star ...

i am not on Kobe's nuts but apparently you prefer the taste of Shaq's ...

I said Shaq was the leader in fact for the most part Kobe has been a shitty leader, but a heck of a clutch player (in fact Phil has been the leader of the Bulls and the Lakers) but Shaq was more of one than Kobe ...for the 3 peat team and it is ALSO why:

We were a dominant playoff team, but half-assed our way through evry season after his MVP year ...we reflected our leader.

2000 Shaq was even greater than Hakeem or Duncan but any other year I would take those 2 or Kareem over Shaq ...

I am honest you my friend... are full of shit ...

SenorSpur
05-09-2010, 11:18 PM
In his garage.

Roddy Beaubois
05-09-2010, 11:21 PM
:lmao kobefan

SenorSpur
05-09-2010, 11:29 PM
Not in LA. You Shaq sympathizers are pathetic. So what he helped win three titles. Of all the superstars that have donned the purple and gold, Shaq was the most lazy, most pathetic, and the most envious of the success of his teammates. He canceled his own contract during the middle of a dynasty, cursed the owner out, and called the organization cut throat. I'd be shocked if his number hangs in Staples. Maybe Miami is foolish enough.

Finally, someone speaks the truth.

While Shaq was once the most dominant player the NBA ever saw, yet he curtailed his own success because of his arrogant, selfish, immature actions. He's a jealous bitch with a cartoon-mind.

TheMACHINE
05-09-2010, 11:32 PM
Yes Shaq us got 3 rings, but you really think Old Jerry Buss is gonna retire him. He doesnt have too retire him as a Laker. Shaq left LA calling out the boss and its fans, Why the hell would Buss let Shaqs jersey hang in the rafters. lol

Killakobe81
05-09-2010, 11:36 PM
His MVP year we saw what Shaw was truly capable of ... unfortunately after that he only played hard in the Finals and came up "small" in the last 2:00 mins.

In 2000 I thought we would see a run like Hakeem's back2 back or Kareem but ...nope.

People think I hate on Shaq cuz Im a Kobe fan ...but I Hate on Shaq cuz I WANTED to be a an O'neal fan ...but his laziness wouldnt let me ...

Im just telling the truth ...here Shaq as great but coulda and shoulda been GOAT ...

SomeCallMeTim
05-09-2010, 11:39 PM
Son, when you have someone averging 30 and 17, yo don't need someone to be "clutch", because you practically sweep your way to the title like the lakers did in 2001.

shaq = number 1 guy on 3 championship teams.

Now, O'm not saying kobe wasn't a vital part, because he was, but shaq was clearly the number 1 guy - let go off kobe's nuts, son.

You guys seem to be arguing past each other. What you each are saying seems perfectly compatible to me. You're both right.

The only way there's a conflict is if you define "clutch" as "any non-garbage playoff minutes." Maybe you do, but I don't.... I'll hold to clutch as pretty much "close and late," YMMV as to what exactly that means.

In a "close and late" game, Shaq was, for obvious reasons, often a liability on offense. Not always of course, he had his share of clutch plays in the POs ("The Lob" is the first example that comes to mind), but Kobe's clutch plays in the POs when they were teammates easily outnumber Shaq's.

Pelicans78
05-09-2010, 11:41 PM
Shaq doesn't need his jersey retired anywhere. He's bigger than that. (He really is, he's almost 400 pounds)

TheMACHINE
05-09-2010, 11:47 PM
Shaq might have done good when he was here but he demanded a trade. From that point, i dont give a fuck about him.

Im self-employed, lets say I have an awesome employee for 3 years making me a shit load of money, but if there is a fall out and he leaves my company and things turn ugly, i aint gonna fucking hold a ceremony for him. I'll be like "dont let the door hit you on the way out bitch"

Chieflion
05-09-2010, 11:49 PM
Lakers and Heat. The Heat will retire anyone's jersey. I expect Udonis Haslem to get his jersey retired too.

LnGrrrR
05-09-2010, 11:50 PM
LA fans will hold Buss to the fire until he retires Shaq's jersey, I think.

TheMACHINE
05-09-2010, 11:50 PM
LA fans will hold Buss to the fire until he retires Shaq's jersey, I think.

:lmao

ChrisRichards
05-09-2010, 11:53 PM
Lakers and Heat. The Heat will retire anyone's jersey. I expect Udonis Haslem to get his jersey retired too.
Funny but true :lol

LnGrrrR
05-09-2010, 11:56 PM
Nope. The alumni still hold Shaq to the fire for his behavior before and after the divorce.

Eh, I'm not a Laker fan so you guys know better than me.

I'm just saying, time heals all wounds... :lol

midnightpulp
05-10-2010, 12:25 AM
The second greatest Laker of all time should definitely have his jersey retired.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-10-2010, 12:29 AM
The straws Kobefan grasps at to tear Shaq down in an attempt to prop Kobe up are hilarious.

He might have had one of the most dominant playoff runs in NBA history from 2000-2002, but god dammit he wasn't clutch :madrun:madrun:madrun

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-10-2010, 12:50 AM
Um as far as I know I'm not getting in any fights anytime soon.

And whether or not Shaq was an underachiever, he won LA three championships. I'm not saying his jersey should be retired given how LA doesn't retire numbers up the wazoo like Boston, I just find it funny how Lakerfan likes to pretend he was some scrub who coulda been replaced easily.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-10-2010, 12:56 AM
Well, we are on our way back to the finals for the third straight year...:lol

Yeah and trading Shaq led to one of LA's most embarrassing 3 year stretches in Laker history, I wouldn't say it was easy for them to replace Shaq.

milkshakeballa
05-10-2010, 12:56 AM
The second greatest Laker of all time should definitely have his jersey retired.

Magic, Kareem, and Kobe say hi.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-10-2010, 01:01 AM
But regarding this thread, why do you think Shaq was trying to rebuild relationships with LA so much last year? At some point last year, he realized he has no team he can retire his jersey with and shit, and knew he should try and retire with the team he had his best years on.

kamikazi_player
05-10-2010, 01:02 AM
No No NO, Magic is debatable, probably even better. But Shaq is better than those other 2.

milkshakeballa
05-10-2010, 01:02 AM
West is the greatest Laker. Kobe is the most talented. Magic is most people's favorite, and Kareem the most dominate.

I definitely agree that West and maybe even Wilt? are ahead of Shaq in LA history.

But Magic/Kareem/Kobe is not even a question.

milkshakeballa
05-10-2010, 01:03 AM
No No NO, Magic is debatable, probably even better. But Shaq is better than those other 2.

Not even really close.

Not going to argue with you either.

kamikazi_player
05-10-2010, 01:05 AM
Not even really close.

Not going to argue with you either.
Heh, saying shit is fun isn't it?
you should know

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-10-2010, 01:08 AM
Don't you think we are aware of this. He pretty much sucked Kobe's cock, which is why Cul alluded to the fact that his number retiring in LA could need Kobe's approval. Shaq is sucking the wrong cock though.

I probably agree that he needs Kobe's approval, what I don't agree with is him saying Phil Jackson begged to come back. I think LA wanted Phil back.

midnightpulp
05-10-2010, 01:09 AM

Magic is the greatest Laker, bar none.

I love Kareem, but his peak years were spent with the Bucks.

Kobe. Yeah, right.

Bottom line is that Shaq was the best player on the 3 straight championships teams, putting up ridiculous numbers, sending coaches scrambling for a desperation gameplan in hopes of stopping him, and earning 3 Finals MVPs. His resume is better than any of the aforementioned players besides Magic.

And I hated that asshole when he was with the Lakers. Cocky, classless, always talking shit and showing little respect to his opponents. Back then, I liked when Kobe would steal a little bit of his thunder. Got so tired of "most dominant ever" and the legion of Laker fans saying, "Wait until Shaq gets in shape and motivated." "Ain't no one stopping Shaq." etc, etc.

But time has allowed me to be objective and he indeed is the second GLOAT, no matter how much Kobe lovers want it to be the other way.

namlook
05-10-2010, 01:09 AM

Shaq was great for the first three quarters of an important game but couldn't be relied on to do anything when the game was on the line.

midnightpulp
05-10-2010, 01:15 AM
Shaq was great for the first three quarters of an important game but couldn't be relied on to do anything when the game was on the line.

I know you have me on ignore, but who gives a shit.

The game is on the line the WHOLE fucking game. How many times has a great first quarter been the reason a team won the game? Or a great second quarter? Fuck this selective memory bullshit. "The 4th is when it counts." To my knowledge, points are worth exactly the same in the 1st quarter as they are in the 4th quarter.

Just another weakass argument Kobe lovers use to try and downplay Shaq's contributions to the Lakers.

milkshakeballa
05-10-2010, 01:19 AM
Kobe has had a decade long of dominance with LA and has brought LA 4 titles...and is STILL counting.

If you really think Shaq has had more of an impact in LA Laker history you need your fucking head examined.

Kareem won 5 fucking titles with LA.

Jesus christ. Did any of you fuckers see some of the 80's finals games against Boston?

Kareem and Magic broke the fucking Boston curse for us.

MAGIC mainly but him and the Cap WERE SHOWTIME. They fucking took LA by storm.

I'm 99% sure you idiots arguing in favor of Shaq were even in LA at the time showtime was here...

NewJerSpur
05-10-2010, 01:21 AM
When will Shaq retire: Not soon enough.

Whose jersey will he wear: Whoever shells out the most money.

milkshakeballa
05-10-2010, 01:22 AM
I am not tyring to downplay Shaq during the 3 peat. He was unreal. He was the MDE sans Wilt.

Doesn't mean Kobe didn't have a WHOLE lot to do with it.

And I think ALL la fans realize what shaq did for us...but Jerry Buss does not forget.

I agree with DOK re. Shaq kissing the Lakers ass all last year. I think he did that for 2 reasons:

1) Jersey retired
2) wants to play in LA next year and coattail Kobe to more titles.

Cane
05-10-2010, 01:23 AM
Even if you love Kobe there's no denying Shaq's 3-peat Finals MVPs. Impressive even if its a player you despise and definitely impressive enough to hang a god damn jersey.

Although if Shaq gets his fifth ring winning against LA this year it might be a longer wait...

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-10-2010, 01:25 AM
He was more dominant than Wilt when you take into account all Wilt did was dominate honkies 5 inches shorter than he was.

midnightpulp
05-10-2010, 01:27 AM
Kobe has had a decade long of dominance with LA and has brought LA 4 titles...and is STILL counting.

If you really think Shaq has had more of an impact in LA Laker history you need your fucking head examined.

Kareem won 5 fucking titles with LA.

Jesus christ. Did any of you fuckers see some of the 80's finals games against Boston?

Kareem and Magic broke the fucking Boston curse for us.

MAGIC mainly but him and the Cap WERE SHOWTIME. They fucking took LA by storm.

I'm 99% sure you idiots arguing in favor of Shaq were even in LA at the time showtime was here...

Again, leaving Shaq out of the equation. 3 of those titles were "brought" when Shaq was the best player on the team.

Kobe, as team leader and the best player, has won one title. I don't understand how you can argue with the results and stats that clearly show Shaq ahead of Kobe. 3 Finals MVPs to 1. Best player on 3 Championship teams. Much, much, much better playoff numbers. I know you Kobe fans hate PER because it doesn't always render Kobe in the best light, but Shaq's playoff PER with the Lakers crushes Kobe's.

Now if you're talking about cultural impact, fan involvement, popularity, then Kobe is indeed a "greater Laker" than Shaq, as is Kareem. But if we're talking about on the court performance, only Magic has been better in a Laker uniform.

Don't let the bitterness of how Shaq left LA color your objectivity.

midnightpulp
05-10-2010, 01:46 AM
You are insane if you think Shaq has been a better player than Kareem and Kobe. I noticed you mentioned Wilt playing against short white boys, but who was Shaq playing against. Fuck a PER, I think we watched more Laker games than you did. West has already called Kobe the greatest Laker. You can just continue to hate.

DoK said Wilt played against whiteboys, not me.

It's not hate. I'm just going by the facts. Yep, fuck PER, when it's pretty damn ironclad. The various top ten lists thrown about correlate very strongly with PER. Jordan has the highest of all time and is regarded as the best player of all time. Sure there's some flaws (it's biased against assists, which Hollinger admits), but it does tend to tell a story of player's skill and impact.

Shaq went through Duncan and Robinson twice on the way to the 3 peat. And those two in their relative prime were one of the best 4/5 combos to ever step foot on a basketball court. He was dealing with them while Kobe was torching the likes of Danny Ferry, Steve Smith, and Terry Porter. Tell me who had the tougher matchup there? I could easily state "who was Kobe playing against?" All the best wing players during that era were on suckass teams.

And how has Shaq never been a better player than Kobe? Better playoff stats (even if we don't go by PER), more Finals MVPs, more championships as the consensus best player on the team. I agree that Kareem in his prime was better than Shaq ever was, but Kareem's peak years were with the Bucks, not the Lakers. He was still awesome with Showtime, but 3 peat Shaq was better than Showtime Kareem.

What argument do you actually have that Kobe is a better on court Laker than Shaq?

I won't argue with you if you attribute other things to what makes a great Laker (attitude, popularity, cultural impact, longevity with the team, etc), but for pure on court performance, Kobe was not better than Shaq.

Killakobe81
05-10-2010, 06:54 AM
LOL PER is ironclad ...midnightpulp you lost me there ...

midnightpulp
05-10-2010, 07:32 AM
LOL PER is ironclad ...midnightpulp you lost me there ...

Top playoff PER (the real season) min. 100 games played (eliminates the Wades and Stoudemires whose sample sizes are way too small):

1. Michael Jordan* 28.59
2 Shaquille O'Neal 26.17
3 Tim Duncan 25.74
4 Hakeem Olajuwon* 25.69
5 Dirk Nowitzki 24.65
6 Charles Barkley* 24.18
7 Jerry West* 23.06
8 David Robinson* 23.02
9 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar* 23.01
10 Magic Johnson* 22.95
11 Wilt Chamberlain* 22.77
12 Kobe Bryant 21.94
13 Elgin Baylor* 21.83
14 Larry Bird* 21.41

When we list our top tens in these forums and such, it usually looks something like this:

MJ
Kareem
Russell
Magic
Bird
Wilt
Duncan/Shaq
Hakeem
Kobe/Oscar/West

Maybe ironclad is too strong a word, but there is a strong correlation between fan and expert opinion and what the stats tell us, you can't deny that. Now of course there's flaws. Magic and Bird are lower on the list because PER is somewhat biased against assists and Kareem places low because he's had such a long career, his later lower numbers bringing down his overall average. Dirk is quite high, but he also has the least amount games played and if 06 and 07 went differently with the Mavs winning back-to-back, we'd likely be placing Dirk in the top ten.

PER also doesn't factor in defense. But for the most part, it's a valid tool to use in conjunction with observation.

Would you rather all discussions be distilled down to "I saw him play and I say he's the greatest!"

Tell me your issue with PER?

And don't say because it doesn't factor in intangibles, I realize that, which is why we can adjust the list and shuffle the players around accordingly.

Ashy Larry
05-10-2010, 09:50 AM
His jersey will be going up ........

can't deny what he's done on the floor especially in Purple and Gold. If Wilt's number in up based on what he has accomplished as a Laker, Shaquille's will definitely go up......

Ashy Larry
05-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Yeah, Shaquille did drop the line "Pay Me, MF" and the classic "Mickey Arison is the best owner".

Without Shaquille, the Lakers do not win one of those titles. Spurs would probably be going for a five peat or 4 outta five with Sacramento getting the other.

Doc Buss will take the high road like he always does and hang up 34.

Ashy Larry
05-10-2010, 10:23 AM
I'm not so sure about that. It would take some major ass kissing on Shaq's part. Hope Buss isn't as cold as Kobe.

That's the thing. Doc Buss isn't cold except on the poker table. Dude is too busy popping blue pills and banging 22 year old skanks.

TheMACHINE
05-10-2010, 10:24 AM
Listen up guys.

I AM NOT DENYING THE FACT THAT SHAQ GOT US 3 RINGS. Im disputing the fact that Jerry Buss HAS to retire him as a Laker.

Anyone who simply says "Shaq got us 3 rings, he's gonna retire here" is totally ignoring the fact that Jerry Buss does not like Shaq and left the team in a bitter situation.

Ashy Larry
05-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Listen up guys.

I AM NOT DENYING THE FACT THAT SHAQ GOT US 3 RINGS. Im disputing the fact that Jerry Buss HAS to retire him as a Laker.

Anyone who simply says "Shaq got us 3 rings, he's gonna retire here" is totally ignoring the fact that Jerry Buss does not like Shaq and left the team in a bitter situation.

It's true he doesn't have to retire it. But what would that really say about Doc Buss?? That he's a bitter old man?? If anything, Bean's would probably go up before Shaquille's and Doc Buss doesn't have to raise it up there but when it all said and done, it will be retired. Especially if dude has been elected to the Hall of Fame. If he's got his HOF plaque and ring, and his jersey still isn't hanging up in Staples, mostly everyone will come down on Doc Buss.

Ashy Larry
05-10-2010, 10:32 AM
:lol

We'll see. I don't think anyone will fault him if he does retire his number. We'll see how Shaq plays his card if the Cavs win a title.

He'll more than likely take the high road and won't say nothing but "I'm happy - mumble mumble mumble mumble - chippies - mumble mumble mumble mumble - food - mumble mumble mumble mumble - five rings - mumble mumble mumble mumble.

I think the fat man has grown up as well. Hell, we know if Shaquille had been injured while playing for the Lakers, we'd be more nervous than a whore in church about him going over 380. Dude came back lean and in great shape. Part of the Fat Man finally gets it.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-10-2010, 10:35 AM

lol, of course:

The straws Kobefan grasps at to tear Shaq down in an attempt to prop Kobe up are hilarious.

He might have had one of the most dominant playoff runs in NBA history from 2000-2002, but god dammit he wasn't clutch :madrun:madrun:madrun

GuerillaBlack
05-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Kareem Abdul Jabbar's number 33 is retired in both Los Angeles and Milwaukee.

Miami retired Jordan's number. :lol

SenorSpur
05-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Nope. The alumni still hold Shaq to the fire for his behavior before and after the divorce.

Speaking of which, how does the alumni actually feel about Shaq?

Muser
05-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Why the fuck is this even a question :lmao

SenorSpur
05-10-2010, 12:10 PM
I think the fat man has grown up as well. Hell, we know if Shaquille had been injured while playing for the Lakers, we'd be more nervous than a whore in church about him going over 380. Dude came back lean and in great shape. Part of the Fat Man finally gets it.

Dude has not grown up at all. Anyone who has kept up with his petty actions toward his soon-to-be ex-wife will know that he's the same chidish, immature, bitch-made punk that he's always been.

I just read the reason why PHX shipped his ass out of town - because he selfishly started hogging the basketball in an effort to prove to his next team that he still had game.

Shaq gets butt-kissed because of his personality and he's parlayed that into being a media darling, but this guy is big, fat, farce and a selfish, jealous, punk, to boot. He aint changed a bit.

TheMACHINE
05-10-2010, 12:31 PM
It's true he doesn't have to retire it. But what would that really say about Doc Buss?? That he's a bitter old man?? If anything, Bean's would probably go up before Shaquille's and Doc Buss doesn't have to raise it up there but when it all said and done, it will be retired. Especially if dude has been elected to the Hall of Fame. If he's got his HOF plaque and ring, and his jersey still isn't hanging up in Staples, mostly everyone will come down on Doc Buss.

Why will everyone come down on Buss?....Buss isnt the one who said "pay me MF" and trash talked the city. Its very understandable if Shaq's number doesnt go up.

Killakobe81
05-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Top playoff PER (the real season) min. 100 games played (eliminates the Wades and Stoudemires whose sample sizes are way too small):

1. Michael Jordan* 28.59
2 Shaquille O'Neal 26.17
3 Tim Duncan 25.74
4 Hakeem Olajuwon* 25.69
5 Dirk Nowitzki 24.65
6 Charles Barkley* 24.18
7 Jerry West* 23.06
8 David Robinson* 23.02
9 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar* 23.01
10 Magic Johnson* 22.95
11 Wilt Chamberlain* 22.77
12 Kobe Bryant 21.94
13 Elgin Baylor* 21.83
14 Larry Bird* 21.41

When we list our top tens in these forums and such, it usually looks something like this:

MJ
Kareem
Russell
Magic
Bird
Wilt
Duncan/Shaq
Hakeem
Kobe/Oscar/West

Maybe ironclad is too strong a word, but there is a strong correlation between fan and expert opinion and what the stats tell us, you can't deny that. Now of course there's flaws. Magic and Bird are lower on the list because PER is somewhat biased against assists and Kareem places low because he's had such a long career, his later lower numbers bringing down his overall average. Dirk is quite high, but he also has the least amount games played and if 06 and 07 went differently with the Mavs winning back-to-back, we'd likely be placing Dirk in the top ten.

PER also doesn't factor in defense. But for the most part, it's a valid tool to use in conjunction with observation.

Would you rather all discussions be distilled down to "I saw him play and I say he's the greatest!"

Tell me your issue with PER?

And don't say because it doesn't factor in intangibles, I realize that, which is why we can adjust the list and shuffle the players around accordingly.

after you got rid of ironclad I'm cool ..BUT a good list the order just sucks ...

Killakobe81
05-10-2010, 12:43 PM
magic as you admitted way too low ...dirk over magic david over /bird LMAO

bostonguy
05-10-2010, 05:28 PM
Maybe I am off for saying this, but is Shaq the type of person that if you kissed his ass and stroked his ego especially to the media that you would be on his good side.

I have never met Shaq personally but I was told while he was a Laker, he would go to poor areas of LA around Xmas time with a trailer full of toys to hand out. Laker fans, did he really do that?

Killakobe81
05-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Maybe I am off for saying this, but is Shaq the type of person that if you kissed his ass and stroked his ego especially to the media that you would be on his good side.

I have never met Shaq personally but I was told while he was a Laker, he would go to poor areas of LA around Xmas time with a trailer full of toys to hand out. Laker fans, did he really do that?

He was GREAT in the community no doubt about it ...just bad with women, management and #2 superstars ....LOL

TheMACHINE
05-10-2010, 06:35 PM

If it wasnt caught on tape or a press conference about the donation didnt occur, then it didnt happen.

milkshakeballa
05-10-2010, 08:56 PM
If it wasnt caught on tape or a press conference about the donation didnt occur, then it didnt happen.

This. Ye he did stuff for the community. But ALL players do. ESPECIALLY in front of the cameras.