PDA

View Full Version : Thank you, Tony Parker

zocool16
05-09-2010, 11:16 PM
In my mind, it's pretty clear this was Parker's last game as a San Antonio Spur. I don't think anyone will say his play was a contributing factor for the Spurs to lose this year. If anything, he was one of the players who showed the most heart out there in these playoffs.

With that being said, the Spurs' need to bring someone in combined with the play of George Hill will most likely result in the departure of Parker, the Spurs' most valuable trade asset. It's sad to see him go, but it's necessary. San Antonio will have to lose its All-Star in hopes to fill other voids.

The only consolation is that Richard Jefferson might get attached in a Parker package. If that gets done, the Spurs can really reload themselves for a good run in 2010-11.

Good bye, Tony Parker, 2007 NBA Finals MVP. It was a great ride and have nothing but good memories.

Good luck.

superjames1992
05-09-2010, 11:17 PM
In my mind, it's pretty clear this was Parker's last game as a San Antonio Spur.
What?

Kori Ellis
05-09-2010, 11:18 PM
:lol

George Hill averaged 0.8 assists per game in the postseason.

The Spurs plan for Hill to be the starting SHOOTING guard, not PG.

So I don't have any idea how you concluded that this was Parker's last game. :lol

JMarkJohns
Huh? Why would the Spurs trade Parker?

z0sa
I admire the confidence in your prediction. You almost make it seem like he's already been traded.

BadMotorscooter
05-09-2010, 11:20 PM

So I don't have any idea how you concluded that this was Parker's last game. :lol

+1. Hill is being groomed for manu's replacement not Parkers.

Spurologist
05-09-2010, 11:21 PM
In my mind, it's pretty clear this was Parker's last game as a San Antonio Spur. I don't think anyone will say his play was a contributing factor for the Spurs to lose this year. If anything, he was one of the players who showed the most heart out there in these playoffs.

With that being said, the Spurs' need to bring someone in combined with the play of George Hill will most likely result in the departure of Parker, the Spurs' most valuable trade asset. It's sad to see him go, but it's necessary. San Antonio will have to lose its All-Star in hopes to fill other voids.

The only consolation is that Richard Jefferson might get attached in a Parker package. If that gets done, the Spurs can really reload themselves for a good run in 2010-11.

Good bye, Tony Parker, 2007 NBA Finals MVP. It was a great ride and have nothing but good memories.

Good luck.

:lmao

mameha
05-09-2010, 11:23 PM
if there's one thing the playoffs have exposed, it is that Hill is NOT A PG. god, TP is our most consistent spur, injuries and all, and this is what he gets. he only gets traded for an elite PG, and you know that's not going to happen, because no one will be crazy enough to let go of their elite PGs, and i'm confident the Spurs would not be that crazy to do so.

Budkin
Tony's not going anywhere... nor should he.

timvp
:smchode:

ShoogarBear
05-09-2010, 11:25 PM
We should start a Rogue's Gallery of everyone who wants Parker traded so that Hill can be the starting point guard.

tlongII
05-09-2010, 11:27 PM
If the Spurs plan is for George Hill to be the long-term solution at SG then their FO is a helluva lot dumber than I thought. You can't compete in this league with a 6-2 shooting guard.

myhc
05-09-2010, 11:28 PM
:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes

Chief
05-09-2010, 11:29 PM
Tony will leave when Tim and Manu do

BadMotorscooter
05-09-2010, 11:31 PM
If the Spurs plan is for George Hill to be the long-term solution at SG then their FO is a helluva lot dumber than I thought. You can't compete in this league with a 6-2 shooting guard.

Tell Eric Gordon and OJ Mayo that. All are within 2 inhes of each other.

lefty
05-09-2010, 11:32 PM
TP is going to L.A

SPURSGOAT
05-09-2010, 11:33 PM

Agreed! :toast

Sigz
05-09-2010, 11:33 PM
Tony loves SA.

Dex
05-09-2010, 11:37 PM
http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/7402/kittyyu2.gif

SPURSGOAT
When I first saw the title; I thought this was going to be a thank you to Parker for how he did in the playoffs all the way to the end...

tlongII
Tell Eric Gordon and OJ Mayo that. All are within 2 inhes of each other.

Mayo is 6-4 and Gordon is 6-3 and weighs 222 lbs. Both are significantly bigger than Hill. However, they are both still smallish for the SG position and you will note that neither were in the playoffs as well.

ElNono
05-09-2010, 11:38 PM
Tony stays... if we manage to move RJ, I see a contract extension as soon as that happens.

BadMotorscooter
05-09-2010, 11:39 PM
Mayo is 6-4 and Gordon is 6-3 and weighs 222 lbs. Both are significantly bigger than Hill. However, they are both still smalling for the SG position and you will note that neither were in the playoffs as well.

Took you that long to look up their stats? And you think the reason they arent in the playoffs is because they are undersized at the 2 spot? lol really?

BadMotorscooter
05-09-2010, 11:41 PM
And for the record, tlong...you do know your guy B. Roy is 6-6 and only weighs 211.

tlongII
05-09-2010, 11:48 PM
Took you that long to look up their stats? And you think the reason they arent in the playoffs is because they are undersized at the 2 spot? lol really?

You really think a 6-2 shooting guard is a good idea? Really? :lmao

Why not put a 6-0 shooting guard out there? Hey, he would only be 2 inches shorter than Hill!

ShoogarBear
05-09-2010, 11:51 PM
Where is the "Thank You Greg Oden" thread?

tlongII
05-09-2010, 11:54 PM
Where is the "Thank You Greg Oden" thread?

I'll be starting one of those in June of 2011. :smokin

Brox6
so soon?:bang:bang

toki9
Why do so many people on this board want Parker gone?!?

BadMotorscooter
05-09-2010, 11:56 PM

Why not put a 6-0 shooting guard out there? Hey, he would only be 2 inches shorter than Hill!

Its about skill, son...not inches. Obviously you cant play Hill at center but you can play him at SG. You tell me....LaMarcus Aldrigde at 6'11 or Chris Bosh at 6'10 at the PF spot...if inches make a difference. How about Roy at 6'6 against Wade at 6'4 for the SG spot? Hell I can do this all day...

ShoogarBear
05-09-2010, 11:56 PM
I'll be starting one of those in June of 2011. :smokin

But his contract isn't up until 2012. :smokin

jag
05-09-2010, 11:57 PM
This thread is gold.

EricB
05-10-2010, 12:00 AM
Wasn't Allen iverson a really successful small shooting guard?

zocool16
05-10-2010, 12:08 AM

I don't understand why you think this is so funny. I don't know what position Hill's exactly being groomed for, but when Parker was out, the backcourt duo of Ginobili and Hill was a very good one. Ginobili had his best games when this was going on, and Hill was also playing at a high level.

If the Spurs have that backcourt and a decent front court, which can be obtained through that Parker trade, then I don't see the craziness in this notion.

pawe
05-10-2010, 12:16 AM
Maybe we can trade TP to LA for ODOM so POP can use him as his point forward, no? This thread sucks. TP is not going anywhere.

BUMP
05-10-2010, 12:18 AM
You can't compete in this league with a 6-2 shooting guard.

:lol The Mavs won 67 games with a 6-2 shooting guard

Truckules
05-10-2010, 12:19 AM
lolwut

Trainwreck2100
05-10-2010, 12:20 AM
parker for chris paul baby

Ditty
05-10-2010, 12:22 AM
trading parker would be stupid he was really the only consistent player all playoffs

TD 21
05-10-2010, 12:26 AM
I'd be shocked if Parker got traded. So long as he rests this summer and recaptures his form of two seasons ago, I expect at some point next season the Spurs will work out an extension with him.

Hill is a third guard ideally. Maybe the Spurs prefer to start him, put him on top opposition perimeter scorers and return Ginobili to his sixth man role, but this notion of starting Hill at PG is ridiculous. Like Kori Ellis alluded to, he's more SG than PG. He's a guy that can play some PG, but even then it's best he do so with a ball handling, play making SG, such as Ginobili. That's why he's a perfect fit in a three guard rotation with Parker and Ginobili. His emergence has given the team some depth and athleticism in the back court, but not a viable reason to trade Parker.

Not even at the expense of being able to off load Jefferson would I trade Parker, unless it's a no brainer type deal, the likes of which the Spurs almost certainly will not be offered. Jefferson, if he's not gone next season or at the trade deadline, will be gone next off season barring something unforeseen. You don't trade a player like Parker to speed that up a few months or a year. If Jefferson had the contract of Turkoglu, then that would be a legit discussion.

tlongII
05-10-2010, 12:43 AM
:lol The Mavs won 67 games with a 6-2 shooting guard

With a 6-6 Stackhouse and a 6-3 Devin Harris as well. How'd that team do in the playoffs by the way?

rayray2k8
05-10-2010, 12:43 AM
What the fuck are you talking about? Are you blaming Parker for losing the series against the suns?

spurs10
05-10-2010, 12:51 AM
Tony's not going anywhere. Hopefully he'll get some much needed rest. For someone as banged up as him, he played mighty tough ouy there. So yeah, thank you Tony Parker.

Cane
05-10-2010, 01:06 AM
I'll thank him if he doesn't play for France this summer. Best shot the Spurs have now is to rest their core players and find a way to stay healthy.

gilmor
05-10-2010, 01:08 AM
Maybe we can trade TP to LA for ODOM so POP can use him as his point forward, no? This thread sucks. TP is not going anywhere.

That will be ideal..

I wish to God that trade will go through..

That will be less Parker haters around..

Stringer_Bell
05-10-2010, 01:13 AM

Haha, that'd be epic if that's how it turned out. All this time we thought we were looking at Parker Jr...except it was actual Manu Jr. :p:

Either way, no one can replace Parker or Manu. They are beastly in their own way. I love seeing Parker get angry and take it to the other team without mercy. I love seeing Manu flying around like a crazed racoon defensively and draining shots.

We need to find quality bench players, not new starters.

Sense
05-10-2010, 01:14 AM
I don't understand why you think this is so funny. I don't know what position Hill's exactly being groomed for, but when Parker was out, the backcourt duo of Ginobili and Hill was a very good one. Ginobili had his best games when this was going on, and Hill was also playing at a high level.

If the Spurs have that backcourt and a decent front court, which can be obtained through that Parker trade, then I don't see the craziness in this notion.

Are you serious?

the backcourt duo of Ginobili and Hill was a very good one when GINOBILI was healthy. Did you not witness Hill completely choke in these series? Tony Parker is the only reason we weren't blown out in all 4 games.

It's foolish to think that after his performance, he's going to be traded because you think Hill is the better "fit" as a PG.

and trust me I know what you're trying to say... you're saying that we should trade Parker, because his trade value is high.... especially if we ship him with Jefferson and we're only going to get better because we have someone close to his skill in Hill....

And that... is wrong.

scottspurs
05-10-2010, 01:21 AM
It's more likely that Parker gets extended than traded.

zocool16
05-10-2010, 01:23 AM
Are you serious?

the backcourt duo of Ginobili and Hill was a very good one when GINOBILI was healthy. Did you not witness Hill completely choke in these series? Tony Parker is the only reason we weren't blown out in all 4 games.

It's foolish to think that after his performance, he's going to be traded because you think Hill is the better "fit" as a PG.

and trust me I know what you're trying to say... you're saying that we should trade Parker, because his trade value is high.... especially if we ship him with Jefferson and we're only going to get better because we have someone close to his skill in Hill....

And that... is wrong.

OK so you know what I'm saying. I don't know how else the Spurs can get themselves to an elite level. Even if they got past the Suns, were they gonna win a championship? Waiting for Jefferson's contract to be up will only put another year on Duncan and Ginobili.

Maybe Spurs are one-and-done in 2011 playoffs and then Tony signs somewhere else. I think Parker is our best player, but what good is having such a great player if there are other needs? They can't sign anyone significant because they're screwed with the luxury. I believe it's a gamble that must be made.

It's not that crazy a post, guys. Geez. I've been thinking about this since the series barely started.

Brox6
05-10-2010, 01:24 AM
^^+1...let TP9-Hill-Manu man the Guard Spot for the Spurs..:ihit

we need new bench player not starter :flag::flag:

Sense
05-10-2010, 01:29 AM
OK so you know what I'm saying. I don't know how else the Spurs can get themselves to an elite level. Even if they got past the Suns, were they gonna win a championship? Waiting for Jefferson's contract to be up will only put another year on Duncan and Ginobili.

Maybe Spurs are one-and-done in 2011 playoffs and then Tony signs somewhere else. I think Parker is our best player, but what good is having such a great player if there are other needs? They can't sign anyone significant because they're screwed with the luxury. I believe it's a gamble that must be made.

It's not that crazy a post, guys. Geez. I've been thinking about this since the series barely started.

And why would you trade your best player?

Personally I think Manu is our best player right now.... Tony is our most reliable.

I really don't think Jefferson will stay another year, or at least I hope not. If we can get someone in to contribute and get rid of all the dead weight, we should be back to where we were 3 years ago, assuming we are injury free.

rayray2k8
05-10-2010, 01:31 AM
Spurs could take new directions

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=spurs-sunsgame3-100508

SAN ANTONIO -- Tim Duncan was sitting on the corridor floor, with Gregg Popovich standing over him, two unquestioned champions presumably trying to make sense of what had just happened to the team that just last week was being hailed as the most fearsome No. 7 seed in history.

You couldn't get close enough to hear what they were saying. Yet you could safely assume that this was not the way they expected the Phoenix Suns to finally get their vengeance.

The sight of Duncan and Popovich commiserating in a hallway outside the Spurs' locker room was the chilling picture Goran Dragic left in his wake late Friday night, after shredding the San Antonio Spurs like they belonged in his Slovenian league back home. The Suns still have to win one more game to say they've at last beaten Team Duncan in a playoff series for the first time in five tries, but good luck finding someone willing to pick these Spurs to become the first team in NBA history to recover from a 3-0 deficit after the 23-point highlight reel Dragic assembled in the final 12 minutes.

Never in the Duncan era have the Spurs sounded as bewildered in defeat as they sounded after this 110-96 Game 3 pounding, which marked the first time in Pop's 14-season reign that San Antonio surrendered 110 points in three straight games in the postseason.

Never did they imagine missing seven straight free throws in the first half to throw away their early momentum, ultimately blowing all of an 18-point lead and then fading away in crunch time against the speed of a tiny, sub-filled, drive-and-kick lineup ... while Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire and Jason Richardson led the cheers from the Suns' bench.

Someone asked Duncan, before he made it out to his impromptu meeting with his coach in the hall, how surprised he was by all of this.

"I still am," Duncan said.

Exasperated teammate Manu Ginobili added: "It was kind of embarrassing. ... It's really hard not only because of the fact that we are down 3-0 [but because of] the way they are beating us.

"In the first game, we fouled too much and they [scored] too much in transition. In Game 2, they stopped running but they beat us on offensive rebounds. Tonight we didn't foul them, they didn't beat us on the offensive boards, Amare scored seven points and they killed us anyway. That's the tough part to swallow."

That's actually only one slice of the unsavory stuff the Spurs have to digest. There's more. Lots more.

The short-term problem: Tony Parker, making his first start of the playoffs in this Game 3, landed hard on his shoulder after a second-quarter collision with Stoudemire -- with the hosts still up 16 -- and will undergo an MRI on Saturday to determine his status for Sunday's Game 4.

The long-term issue, meanwhile, is how to proceed roster-wise after the Suns finish the Spurs off, which looms as an inevitability no matter how jittery Suns fans are when it comes to San Antonio, even with a 3-0 cushion.

Owner Peter Holt sanctioned the offseason acquisitions of Richard Jefferson and Antonio McDyess, pushing his payroll into the $80 million range, because he believed the Duncan-Ginobili-Parker triumvirate was still a title contender if healthy. A six-game dismissal of the Spurs' longtime rivals from Dallas in the first round had finally begun to convince Holt that the investments were worth it, but the grittier-than-ever Suns' ability to grind out wins in the past two games when San Antonio shut down their running game has instead spawned the suggestion that the No. 2-seeded Mavericks would have taken out the aging No. 7 seeds if Dallas coach Rick Carlisle had simply unleashed his Dragic -- rookie guard Rodrigue Beaubois -- as so many Mavs fans lobbied for back in Big D.

Sources with knowledge of the team's thinking say the Spurs are increasingly optimistic about their ability to inject their front line with some new blood by convincing Brazilian forward Tiago Splitter -- whom they drafted in 2007 -- to leave the European game to come to the NBA starting next season. Yet it remains to be seen how aggressive San Antonio feels it'll have to be about reshaping the rest of the roster after Jefferson's season of struggle, with Parker -- unpalatable as it sounds -- ranking as its best trade asset. The Frenchman has only one season left on his contract ($13.5 million) after this season and, according to a recent report in the San Antonio Express-News, has told friends that he's unsure about his future in town after the contract extension recently bestowed upon Ginobili and with second-year guard George Hill capable of playing the same position.

First, though, the Spurs are going to have to get over this thorough humbling at home. Which certainly didn't sound imminent as you listened to various Spurs describe the problems they had dealing with the guard penetration and pick-and-roll success Phoenix manufactured at the start of the decisive fourth quarter with a group of Grant Hill, Jared Dudley, Channing Frye, Leandro Barbosa and Dragic on the floor.

"We are going to have to play the perfect game," Ginobili said of possibly stealing Game 4, after the Spurs slipped into a 3-0 hole for just the third time in the history of the franchise.

"They just killed us."

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here.

word
05-10-2010, 01:37 AM
Agreed. Parker is gone.

Xylus
05-10-2010, 01:41 AM
http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/7402/kittyyu2.gif

:lmao :lmao :lmao

zocool16
05-10-2010, 02:00 AM
And why would you trade your best player?

Personally I think Manu is our best player right now.... Tony is our most reliable.

I really don't think Jefferson will stay another year, or at least I hope not. If we can get someone in to contribute and get rid of all the dead weight, we should be back to where we were 3 years ago, assuming we are injury free.

I think Jefferson is the main reason Parker will be gone. Trading Parker would make no sense unless the Spurs can send Jefferson along with him. This is the only reason I say I doubt Parker will come back.

No one is taking Jefferson off the Spurs' hands just like that.

vednam
05-10-2010, 02:04 AM
Spurs would be stupid to trade Parker.

His trade value is probably at an all-time low after his injury plagued season. There is a 90% chance that Tony rebounds with a much better performance next year.

On top of that George Hill is not a point guard.

I like the idea of a three-guard rotation of Parker, Ginobili and Hill. The Spurs are set in the back-court. They need to focus on the front-court.

Pauleta14
05-10-2010, 02:36 AM
I thought it was gonna be a thread paying tribute to Tony...

Here we go again!
It's going to be a long postseason with a lot of "trade Parker" threads I guess!

Guys, if you wanna win, YOU DON'T TRADE YOUR BEST PLAYERS!!!!!!!

And for the RJ+Tony package argument, this is BS!!

Both contracts end next year (so no "compensation") and if we manage to shop RJ, it will be for financial reasons (cap relief) and Tony's contract won't be necesarely needed!

NFGIII
05-10-2010, 02:49 AM
TP isn't going anywhere unless the trade proposal is one of those that you can't turn down. And those would be very few indeed though the Paul for TP I think would qualify.

The Spurs can't trade him unless they get another pg of his caliber in return. Otherwise it would be counter productive. Talk about hanging TD out to dry if you trade TP and not get a quality pg back. Hill isn't ready yet. This series proved it and he needs more time but ultimately I don't see him as a pg. Sixth man combo guard but primarily at sg.

FkLA
05-10-2010, 02:55 AM
You cant really knock Hill for only averaging 0.8 apg in the postseason, not when most of the ballhandling is being done by Manu and Parker...two proven veteran players. Taking that into consideration I'd hardly say that this postseason 'proves' that Hill cant play the PG spot. He isnt near Parker when it comes to running the point, but have some perspective--Hill is a 2nd year player, this is his 1st year with significant PT, he isnt going to immediately be Parker. He already made huge strides in a year, let the kid grow.

You also have to consider certain things when analyzing this subject...has the Big 3's window closed? Can we still win with that formula? What guarantee is there that Parker re-signs? If he does what kind of money will he be expecting, max? Dont want to get into it too much though we have all summer to dissect this. In the meantime, props to Parker for the way he played in the postseason and for accepting coming off the bench without complaining one bit.

milkyway21
05-10-2010, 03:17 AM

Good luck.

those turnovers but TP played his heart out tonight.

I was surprised by Manu's game.

I admit I wanted to kill Bonner in some instances.I wish I saw more of McDyess, instead of him. McDyess was so sad after the game( is it true he is contemplating to retire soon?hope not::(). Hope he'd be back next yr.

timtonymanu
05-10-2010, 03:21 AM
Fuck no.

After seeing the way Hill handled himself in the Suns series, no fuckin way I want Parker gone. Hill still has long ways to go before the Spurs put him in Parker's role. And i agree with some posters here. Hill will replace Manu.

Hill really has to dedicate his offseason to working on his defense. If he wasn't a good shooter, I would hate him as much as RJ Bonner and Mason.

DesignatedT
05-10-2010, 03:21 AM
Tony :tu. He isn't going anywhere. Showed great heart out there tonight IMO.

temujin
05-10-2010, 03:50 AM
It would actually make perfect sense to trade Parker.

A 28 years old small guard who
has a lot of mileage,
a lot of bruises,
can't play defense,
average passer,
can't shoot the 3,
in his best days,
and,
most importantly,
whose 12 (Twelve) ankles injury have slowed down dramatically.

However, the Spurs FO are the most conservative folks in the league,
and will believe that he is still one of the "Big" three.

He is neither big, nor a three.

So we will see a lot of Parker next year.
At least untill the next elimination courtesy of a 37 years old SERIOUS point guard.

Sisk
05-10-2010, 04:01 AM
When I first saw the title; I thought this was going to be a thank you to Parker for how he did in the playoffs all the way to the end...

Me too..

Raising the bar!!11

Bukefal
05-10-2010, 04:45 AM
Lol Parkers last game? nope, i dont know why you got that thought.

I thought this thread was about thanking him for fighting untill the end yesterday and not giving up. He worked his ass off, thank you for that TP!

Pauleta14
05-10-2010, 06:20 AM
Fuck no.

After seeing the way Hill handled himself in the Suns series, no fuckin way I want Parker gone. Hill still has long ways to go before the Spurs put him in Parker's role. And i agree with some posters here. Hill will replace Manu.

Hill really has to dedicate his offseason to working on his defense. If he wasn't a good shooter, I would hate him as much as RJ Bonner and Mason.

+1

If the PO have tought us one thing about Hill (except his 3pts "reliablitity") is that his defense is WAY overated by spurs fan (on ST)...

He has a very atletic body, great wingspan, great potential...
But nothing replace brain/knowledge!
Knowing how to defend who, where to be, when to switch...
He made a lot of mistake!

We can all agree that Tony is lazy on D during the regular season, but when comes PO, he impresses me.

I want the best for the Spurs andTony and a trade would be a lose /lose...

ploto
05-10-2010, 06:51 AM
Who says Parker wants to stay beyond the last year of his contract?

Harry Callahan
05-10-2010, 07:25 AM
It would actually make perfect sense to trade Parker.

A 28 years old small guard who
has a lot of mileage,
a lot of bruises,
can't play defense,
average passer,
can't shoot the 3,
in his best days,
and,
most importantly,
whose 12 (Twelve) ankles injury have slowed down dramatically.

However, the Spurs FO are the most conservative folks in the league,
and will believe that he is still one of the "Big" three.

He is neither big, nor a three.

So we will see a lot of Parker next year.
At least untill the next elimination courtesy of a 37 years old SERIOUS point guard.

Please. Don't throw Steve Nash in here as having some great accomplishment in this series. Nash is now 1-6 in playoff series against the Spurs including his Dallas Failures.

Tony Parker whipped his butt time and time again through the years.

Nash is on his last legs RIGHT NOW. His back is so bad he can't sit in a chair. He is a wonderful player and had a fine series. Still, the cheap shot on Parker by Amoron changed this series dramatically.

Parker did a fine job out there in the playoffs given his injuries.

None of our top three players got out of the playoffs healthy again this year, but they still managed a series win.

Tell me any team that can overcome 46% shooting from three point for an entire series. That is the equivalent of shooting 69% from two point range. When Phoenix shoots in volume as well, that is too much to overcome.

Arrowch4
05-10-2010, 07:40 AM
In my mind, it's pretty clear this was Parker's last game as a San Antonio Spur.

this is a joke right???

temujin
05-10-2010, 07:56 AM
Please. Don't throw Steve Nash in here as having some great accomplishment in this series. Nash is now 1-6 in playoff series against the Spurs including his Dallas Failures.

Tony Parker whipped his butt time and time again through the years.

Nash is on his last legs RIGHT NOW. His back is so bad he can't sit in a chair. He is a wonderful player and had a fine series. Still, the cheap shot on Parker by Amoron changed this series dramatically.

Parker did a fine job out there in the playoffs given his injuries.

None of our top three players got out of the playoffs healthy again this year, but they still managed a series win.

Tell me any team that can overcome 46% shooting from three point for an entire series. That is the equivalent of shooting 69% from two point range. When Phoenix shoots in volume as well, that is too much to overcome.

It is perfectly likely that Nash will win nothing this year. More than likely.
And Parker has won 3 titles already. With a big part in all of them.

The question is not about the past.
The past is past, and WON'T come back.

Quick one: can you imagine Toni Parker playing a Conference final 9 years from now? With his style of play and the ankles he has?
I don't.
Even 2 years from now.
He has an expiring contract and this is a business.

romain.star
05-10-2010, 07:56 AM
well... i don't like the idea but what about the following starting 5:

C: TD
PF: All star caliber player
SF: Jefferson
SG: Hill
PG: Manu

Bottom line is, the spurs can't live with such a weak front court

gilmor
05-10-2010, 08:09 AM
It is perfectly likely that Nash will win nothing this year. More than likely.
And Parker has won 3 titles already. With a big part in all of them.

The question is not about the past.
The past is past, and WON'T come back.

Quick one: can you imagine Toni Parker playing a Conference final 9 years from now? With his style of play and the ankles he has?
I don't.
Even 2 years from now.
He has an expiring contract and this is a business.

Can you fucking imagine anyone in the current Spurs team playing 9 years from now?

I don't think anyone would.

To put things into perspective, we are looking at 2 year window here before the Big 3 will be blown up. Question is should you trade Parker within this 2 year window. Beyond 2 years, Manu and Tim will be gone.

If you should trade Parker, who should you get that will better the Big 3 combo with Tim and Manu.

gilmor
05-10-2010, 08:11 AM
well... i don't like the idea but what about the following starting 5:

C: TD
PF: All star caliber player
SF: Jefferson
SG: Hill
PG: Manu

Bottom line is, the spurs can't live with such a weak front court

The fact that you would trade Parker instead of Jefferson is fucking beyond me. How can that be true?

lefty
05-10-2010, 08:14 AM
Spurs could take new directions

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=spurs-sunsgame3-100508

SAN ANTONIO -- Tim Duncan was sitting on the corridor floor, with Gregg Popovich standing over him, two unquestioned champions presumably trying to make sense of what had just happened to the team that just last week was being hailed as the most fearsome No. 7 seed in history.

You couldn't get close enough to hear what they were saying. Yet you could safely assume that this was not the way they expected the Phoenix Suns to finally get their vengeance.

The sight of Duncan and Popovich commiserating in a hallway outside the Spurs' locker room was the chilling picture Goran Dragic left in his wake late Friday night, after shredding the San Antonio Spurs like they belonged in his Slovenian league back home. The Suns still have to win one more game to say they've at last beaten Team Duncan in a playoff series for the first time in five tries, but good luck finding someone willing to pick these Spurs to become the first team in NBA history to recover from a 3-0 deficit after the 23-point highlight reel Dragic assembled in the final 12 minutes.

Never in the Duncan era have the Spurs sounded as bewildered in defeat as they sounded after this 110-96 Game 3 pounding, which marked the first time in Pop's 14-season reign that San Antonio surrendered 110 points in three straight games in the postseason.

Never did they imagine missing seven straight free throws in the first half to throw away their early momentum, ultimately blowing all of an 18-point lead and then fading away in crunch time against the speed of a tiny, sub-filled, drive-and-kick lineup ... while Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire and Jason Richardson led the cheers from the Suns' bench.

Someone asked Duncan, before he made it out to his impromptu meeting with his coach in the hall, how surprised he was by all of this.

"I still am," Duncan said.

Exasperated teammate Manu Ginobili added: "It was kind of embarrassing. ... It's really hard not only because of the fact that we are down 3-0 [but because of] the way they are beating us.

"In the first game, we fouled too much and they [scored] too much in transition. In Game 2, they stopped running but they beat us on offensive rebounds. Tonight we didn't foul them, they didn't beat us on the offensive boards, Amare scored seven points and they killed us anyway. That's the tough part to swallow."

That's actually only one slice of the unsavory stuff the Spurs have to digest. There's more. Lots more.

The short-term problem: Tony Parker, making his first start of the playoffs in this Game 3, landed hard on his shoulder after a second-quarter collision with Stoudemire -- with the hosts still up 16 -- and will undergo an MRI on Saturday to determine his status for Sunday's Game 4.

The long-term issue, meanwhile, is how to proceed roster-wise after the Suns finish the Spurs off, which looms as an inevitability no matter how jittery Suns fans are when it comes to San Antonio, even with a 3-0 cushion.

Owner Peter Holt sanctioned the offseason acquisitions of Richard Jefferson and Antonio McDyess, pushing his payroll into the $80 million range, because he believed the Duncan-Ginobili-Parker triumvirate was still a title contender if healthy. A six-game dismissal of the Spurs' longtime rivals from Dallas in the first round had finally begun to convince Holt that the investments were worth it, but the grittier-than-ever Suns' ability to grind out wins in the past two games when San Antonio shut down their running game has instead spawned the suggestion that the No. 2-seeded Mavericks would have taken out the aging No. 7 seeds if Dallas coach Rick Carlisle had simply unleashed his Dragic -- rookie guard Rodrigue Beaubois -- as so many Mavs fans lobbied for back in Big D.

Sources with knowledge of the team's thinking say the Spurs are increasingly optimistic about their ability to inject their front line with some new blood by convincing Brazilian forward Tiago Splitter -- whom they drafted in 2007 -- to leave the European game to come to the NBA starting next season. Yet it remains to be seen how aggressive San Antonio feels it'll have to be about reshaping the rest of the roster after Jefferson's season of struggle, with Parker -- unpalatable as it sounds -- ranking as its best trade asset. The Frenchman has only one season left on his contract ($13.5 million) after this season and, according to a recent report in the San Antonio Express-News, has told friends that he's unsure about his future in town after the contract extension recently bestowed upon Ginobili and with second-year guard George Hill capable of playing the same position.

First, though, the Spurs are going to have to get over this thorough humbling at home. Which certainly didn't sound imminent as you listened to various Spurs describe the problems they had dealing with the guard penetration and pick-and-roll success Phoenix manufactured at the start of the decisive fourth quarter with a group of Grant Hill, Jared Dudley, Channing Frye, Leandro Barbosa and Dragic on the floor.

"We are going to have to play the perfect game," Ginobili said of possibly stealing Game 4, after the Spurs slipped into a 3-0 hole for just the third time in the history of the franchise.

"They just killed us."

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here.

Parker is so going to L.A

Brazil
05-10-2010, 08:28 AM
Parker is so going to L.A

you wish

Parker is going nowhere.

Only possible trade is for an elite PG. As stated 50000 times Hill is a pure SG, Manu cannot run the point a whole season because he will loose his Offensive mojo, Spurs have no time to develop a young PG and you don't trade your most reliable PO player offensively and yes defensively.

Next year, TP and Hill will start, Manu will come off the bench. Spurs will try to improve the roster around the big 3 + blair + hill + maybe Ian, Temple and Hairston. If we land Splitter, the biggest work will be what to do with RJ (odds are RJ will stay) then work well the draft and sign some FAs for Mason, Bonner and Dice (if he retires) spots.

lefty
05-10-2010, 08:38 AM
you wish

Parker is going nowhere.

Only possible trade is for an elite PG. As stated 50000 times Hill is a pure SG, Manu cannot run the point a whole season because he will loose his Offensive mojo, Spurs have no time to develop a young PG and you don't trade your most reliable PO player offensively and yes defensively.

Next year, TP and Hill will start, Manu will come off the bench. Spurs will try to improve the roster around the big 3 + blair + hill + maybe Ian, Temple and Hairston. If we land Splitter, the biggest work will be what to do with RJ (odds are RJ will stay) then work well the draft and sign some FAs for Mason, Bonner and Dice (if he retires) spots.

Why would I wish that ? :lol

romain.star
05-10-2010, 09:07 AM
The fact that you would trade Parker instead of Jefferson is fucking beyond me. How can that be true?

i'm not a trade specialist so i won't go into some sophisticated scenarii.

Thing is, you win rings in the paint. Vintage TD needed little help in the past (Old Drob, Nazr, Rasho...) to dominate. This is not true anymore...

Bottom line is: no matter how good Parker, Hill or Manu play next season, without an all star bigman, the Spurs don't go nowhere. IMO, Blair and Ian are too young, Dyess is too old... As for Splitter, he still has to play one single game in this league.

So how do you get this kind of player before TD retire? There is no perfect answer to that question but the FO should consider every option. And as painful as it is, trading Parker is one of them.

Brazil
05-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Why would I wish that ? :lol

let me see....

cauz you don't like him?

Chomag
05-10-2010, 09:34 AM

What dumb team would want to just take RJ? It's funny how crazy people get just because you suggest a trade. Tp is the only Spur that could land the Spurs something right now, you have 2 of the big 3 that can not sustain their dominance 24/7. Manu and Tim were completely out of gas and they need serious help so that doesn't happen again. Tp is a great player and is a big part of this team but he is the only way Spurs could get anything else of value.

Our big 3 has just to many miles to be a legit big 3 in the NBA anymore.

lefty
05-10-2010, 09:42 AM
let me see....

cauz you don't like him?
Oh, I hate him

A lot

But I hate Bonner more

johnnySpurs
05-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Parker is one of the few things on this team that actually works still. This team needs a starting big, a few shooters and bench depth. We have a pretty good 3 guard rotation with Hill, Gino and Tony. For a team with so little depth at nearly every position it does not make sense to thin out what is our most serviceable depth position.

Unfortunately, we're not getting rid of RJ for obvious reasons. Would be nice if Blairs 6'7" ass could develop a semblance of an mid-range game so that we could play him as SF / PF instead of a solid PF where he presents size mismatches for us.

I've no idea what Splitter will contribute to us if he even comes over next year, but if he does prove to be at least a serviceable bench big man that would be huge for us.

florige
05-10-2010, 10:00 AM

:lol Thats what I thought too.

zocool16
05-10-2010, 11:22 AM

My thread wasn't a get-Tony-Parker-out-of-SA-asap thread, I did acknowledge his efforts in the playoffs. It was clear to see he was a true warrior out there. And I also thanked him for all these years he's been a Spur.

Tony is one of my favorite players. He's great. But the Spurs need a change, and that change is getting Richard Jefferson out of SA somehow. How else will that happen if the Spurs don't offer something valuable? Parker's just shit out of luck because of this.

With that being said, if my speculation came to reality, Ginobili and Hill are both PG/SG's. That is a good backcourt. And the $$$ relief would allow the Spurs to get a little more help there as well as in the front court.

But hey, I'm all for Tony Parker to stay, really. I'm no Parker hater at all. He's my third favorite Spur. So if the Spurs can trade Jefferson w/o including Parker in a deal, that'd be awesome. But like our friend John Hollinger said, the Spurs would also like to trade Malik Hairston for Lebron James.

Other than that, if the Spurs stay with Parker (and Jefferson), aka the same team as this year, SA can't expect to contend for a championship.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Hill isn't ready for prime time yet - if they are going to trade parker they need to get a least one real PG in exchange

temujin
05-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Parker's most obvious asset was his speed.

It's obvious that he has slowed down.
It is also very obvious that ankle injuries and age don't necessary translate into more speed next season.

It was also clear that he has been a significant defensive liability for most of the season.
This and the lack of 3 points range is NOT going to change.

He is very unlikely to evolve into a playmaker a-la Ginobili or Nash.

We will see a steady decline of his contribution.

The difference between Parker and Jefferson is clear: you get someone worth something trading the former, you have to ADD someone worth something to get rid of the latter.

Brazil
05-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Parker's most obvious asset was his speed.

It's obvious that he has slowed down.

Obvious for whom ? have you seen the game last night ? TP has been slowing down by injuries during the RS, it has not been the case during the POs.

It is also very obvious that ankle injuries and age don't necessary translate into more speed next season.

He is still in his prime if he can rest and have a season without injuries, he will be just fine.

It was also clear that he has been a significant defensive liability for most of the season.

he had bad stretches but he is still the best defender we have against elite PGs and like always his Defense was more than ok during the POs.

This and the lack of 3 points range is NOT going to change.

Nostradamus? One thing is certain it is not natural for him to shoot the 3 unless he is wide open but untill now his lack of shooting was not really a problem because he developed a nice long JS. Maybe in the near future he will be obliged to work that and I'm confident he will be successful.

He is very unlikely to evolve into a playmaker a-la Ginobili or Nash.

So what ? He is our best option as of today, Hill cannot run the point and Manu won't have the gas to do that during a whole season, next year spurs will try to monitor his mintes.

We will see a steady decline of his contribution.

The difference between Parker and Jefferson is clear: you get someone worth something trading the former, you have to ADD someone worth something to get rid of the latter.

TP will stay in SA unless the FO trade him for another elite PG.

beachwood
05-10-2010, 11:50 AM

Bingo. Hill is being groomed for a PG, and I'm not convinced he has the potential to reach TP's level of play. And Hill's defense is vastly OVERRATED.

beachwood
05-10-2010, 11:52 AM
My thread wasn't a get-Tony-Parker-out-of-SA-asap thread, I did acknowledge his efforts in the playoffs. It was clear to see he was a true warrior out there. And I also thanked him for all these years he's been a Spur.

Tony is one of my favorite players. He's great. But the Spurs need a change, and that change is getting Richard Jefferson out of SA somehow. How else will that happen if the Spurs don't offer something valuable? Parker's just shit out of luck because of this.

With that being said, if my speculation came to reality, Ginobili and Hill are both PG/SG's. That is a good backcourt. And the $$$ relief would allow the Spurs to get a little more help there as well as in the front court.

But hey, I'm all for Tony Parker to stay, really. I'm no Parker hater at all. He's my third favorite Spur. So if the Spurs can trade Jefferson w/o including Parker in a deal, that'd be awesome. But like our friend John Hollinger said, the Spurs would also like to trade Malik Hairston for Lebron James.

Other than that, if the Spurs stay with Parker (and Jefferson), aka the same team as this year, SA can't expect to contend for a championship.

I agree with everything you're saying.

Bruno
05-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Parker won't be traded. It's even likely that he gets an extension this summer.

Kori Ellis
05-10-2010, 12:00 PM

If he doesn't play for France, I'm sure it will be discussed.

Bruno
05-10-2010, 12:17 PM
If he doesn't play for France, I'm sure it will be discussed.

I don't think he will play with the NT this summer mainly because he wants to sign an extension.

Anyway, Parker will give his answer for the NT this week. I would be damn surprised if Parker is in.

Kori Ellis
05-10-2010, 12:18 PM
I don't think he will play with the NT this summer mainly because he wants to sign an extension.

Anyway, Parker will give his answer for the NT this week. I would be damn surprised if Parker is in.

Me too... everything I'm hearing is that he isn't going to play.

Cane
05-10-2010, 12:22 PM
What’s your schedule now ?
I’m going to take some rest in San Antonio. I need to cut to get back on my feet. We’ll go on vacation at the end of June and right after that, I’ll go to my summer camp in Fécamp.

Do you think of the French National Team ?
I want to put basketball aside for the moment. But the national team will catch me up quickly since the Spurs staff wants to meet me soon to talk about this summer. We’ll know more this week. I don’t know what the Spurs want to do. So I can’t tell what’s going to happen .

If he does play for France then he should definitely be on the trade block. He didn't even finish as a top 50 PER player this regular season and didn't crack the top 40 in the playoffs either.

If he plays for France that will make the FO uneasy since the window's shorter than ever and Manu is taking this summer off.

MarceloM!
05-10-2010, 02:19 PM
Tony will leave when Tim and Manu do

The only thing i'm interesting in about this thread is the ass like that of your signature. I love it.

Bukefal
05-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Me too... everything I'm hearing is that he isn't going to play.

I think that if its even slightly possible to combine the spurs and naitonal team, he will play. I think he himself just wants to be there this summer, so he will try. If its really impossible and if the spurs are really giving him warnings and let him know his future is uncertain if he does, than he will back out.

spurtech09
05-10-2010, 03:19 PM
parker is staying put....

Spurs Brazil
05-10-2010, 03:51 PM

I hope so and also hope he gets a full summer of rst

sananspursfan21
05-10-2010, 03:54 PM

or a 6'5 center! oh wait, the rockets have that!*

* see chuck hayes

The ADMIRAL 50
05-10-2010, 04:00 PM

6'2'' is misleading when you have freakishly long arms

temujin
05-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Obvious for whom ? have you seen the game last night ? TP has been slowing down by injuries during the RS, it has not been the case during the POs.

He is still in his prime if he can rest and have a season without injuries, he will be just fine.

he had bad stretches but he is still the best defender we have against elite PGs and like always his Defense was more than ok during the POs.

Nostradamus? One thing is certain it is not natural for him to shoot the 3 unless he is wide open but untill now his lack of shooting was not really a problem because he developed a nice long JS. Maybe in the near future he will be obliged to work that and I'm confident he will be successful.

So what ? He is our best option as of today, Hill cannot run the point and Manu won't have the gas to do that during a whole season, next year spurs will try to monitor his mintes.

TP will stay in SA unless the FO trade him for another elite PG.

What did I write?
Yes Parker will stay and the Spurs' objective will be to make the playoffs, next season.
They are done as contenders.