PDA

View Full Version : The Better Team Won. On to Next Season

BadOne
05-09-2010, 11:30 PM
Congratulations PHX

Give PHX a lot of credit. They've always been a good team, this time they solidified their offensive potency by adding J-Rich and even MORE 3 point shooters. More than anything, they're actually playing some decent defense. Now, without sounding bitter, lets face it, this was not the best Spurs team they have ever faced. They were a 7th seed for a reason. No injuries, no missed calls, the Suns were just the better team. Yes some of our Spurs fans will taunt the Suns with their "Rings" jokes, but if we're measuring the greatness of the franchises themselves, I'm sure even PHX owner, staff and management will yield that the Spurs are a more storied and greater franchise given their success overall. Just as Spurs owner, staff and management likely would yield to the Lakers and Celtics being greater and more overall successful franchises.

Phoenix is still working to achieve their own greatness, and could very well achieve success this year. However, their biggest challenge is next. Their defense has improved, yes, but its like a 300 pound man losing 10 and wanting all sorts of congratulations for it. It still has a long way to go and significant flaws among many of the teams in the league. But its a step in the right direction. If they actually keep Amare and eventually improve to keep opposing teams around 80 - 90 points on a consistent basis, then the rest of the league will have to deal with a true contender. In the meantime though they more than likely go on to face a team which some of their fans could say they have "owned" in the playoffs. Once again though, lets face it, this will not be the same L.A. team they defeated in the 1st round twice in 06 and 07. Good luck PHX...you're gonna need it.

On to the offseason...

So what's next for the Spurs? In my honest opinion, the moves made this offseason will likely shape the franchise for the next decade and more than anything, affect when and how Tim Duncan retires.

Let’s review who could potentially be leaving:

RESTRICTED
None

UNRESTRICTED
Keith Bogans (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1995)
Matt Bonner (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1996)
Richard Jefferson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1006) (ETO)
Ian Mahinmi (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2774)
Roger Mason (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1721)

Looking at this list reveals the biggest potential gain for the Spurs. Richard Jefferson's early termination option. Many will ask, "What kind of idiot would walk away from a guaranteed $15 Million? He had mentioned the possibility of doing just that in the hopes of overall matching or exceeding the amount over a longer period of time. Also, with his contract expiring, he could be a valuable trade asset. Let’s review these players and the impact of their potential departure.

RICHARD JEFFERSON: He brought a long absent athleticism to this team, and was expected to be the 4th offensive threat this team had after TD, TP and Manu. Let's face it though, he is a fast break player only. One who would likely succeed playing with J-Kidd, CP3 or even Steve Nash. In the Spurs system, he is a total failure. His defense was inconsistent to say the least, and his inability to consistently hit open jumpers [something this team heavily relies on] has made him a liability. I can only hope and pray that he is gone next season. Peter Holt has to be pissed, but when you gamble, you do on occasion lose. Sorry Pete, the cards just didn't fall where we needed them to with RJ. On Tony's behalf, I say au revoir RJ.

KEITH BOGANS: His defense is good, but his lack of size and offense outweigh his defensive capabilities in my opinion. For God's sake...he's a shooting guard. Make some shots and create some offense. Sorry Boges, but you got's ta go.

MATT BONNER: No one likes a “big” man who is known to make 3’s alone. You have guards for that. Sure Matty has hit some shots in the regular season, however when the playoffs arrive, his shot is as gone as a hoagie 2 feet within his reach. His defense is at times, nonexistent. Yes the Spurs need more 3 point shooting, however they need it from someone who is also not afraid to play their position [“Power” Forward] and actually be able to do more than just spot open 3 shots during the regular season. Sorry Matt. You got a ring out of this, and I’m sure you’ll always remember your time in S.A., but don’t let the door hit ya on the way out. Who knows, he loves Canada so much, maybe the Spurs can use him in a sign and trade with Toronto if they have someone we can use.

IAN MAHINMI: As an NBA player, it still may be too soon to call this guy a bust. But as a Spur? Oh yeah. Bust City. Perhaps it’s not all his fault. Some say Pop should’ve given him more PT, others say if Pop would’ve seen something he liked by now, then he would’ve given him more PT. Either way, he’s never really impressed me with what we did see from him. No matter whose fault that is, it’s all I need as a fan to say adios amigo!

ROGER MASON JR.: Ouch. I don’t think anyone in the league has underachieved this season more than this guy. Last year, he was clutch in the season. In the offseason of 09, he vanished, and since then has NEVER regained his shooting touch. Mason is a shooter. That’s it. He can’t dribble, drive or even pass very well. I do not know what happened to him, but he was never the same after the Dallas series in 09. Throw in the fact that he did want to be traded [despite his reasons], almost confirms he will be gone next year. A shooter who can’t shoot…um…peace Rog. It’s been real but you won’t be missed.

So we’ve got the 20th pick in this year’s draft, and then, yes…there’s free agency. With Alonzo Gee (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=4232), Malik Hairston (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3433), Curtis Jerrells (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=4164), Garrett Temple (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=4023) [RESTRICTED] & Tim Duncan (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=215) (ETO), Tony Parker (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1015) [UNRESTRICTED] slated as the 2011 free agents, what assets does this team have?

Lets get the pipe dream out of the way first. Chris Bosh. Make no mistake, if CB4 became a Spur to play next to Tim Duncan, we’d have our next franchise guy for Tim to pass the torch to. If there was a way to achieve this acquisition without even unloading our rights to Tiago Splitter, than we’d have, in my opinion, the best front court in the league. Unfortunately, and here’s where the high wears off, Chris is a Max salary guy. Even if there were a way to unload RJ’s contract, someone else with a big contract would likely have to either accept a pay cut for the betterment of the team [I don’t see anyone other than Tim doing this, however he’s already done it once…the guy has a family] OR…one of the larger contracts along with RJ would have to be dealt. This is where it gets Hairy. Manu is still the heart and soul of this team. Despite his age, he proved, he is is still the best 6th man for this team and x factor. Tim is the face of the Franchise. He won’t be moved ever. That leaves Parker. In my opinion, he is too much of a damn good player to ever part with. But when you look at what he brings to the team, which is pretty damn big, it is however not impossible to move him for a Chris Bosh via sign and trade as Bosh would likely have a greater impact on the team than Tony would. All of that of course being speculation within this pipe dream at that, let’s not get it confused. I like Tony as a Spur. As a Spurs fan, I’m greedy, I’d say [sparking up another fatty] “let’s get Chris Bosh and keep Tony without losing Splitter or anyone else on the team”. But as all buzzes and highs wear out, reality sets back in. I have a better chance of winning the Texas Lotto than Bosh coming to S.A. He would likely have to make a whole lot less than he could get anywhere else in the league. So unless I hit the Jackpot and get rich, I don’t see any of this happening.

Tiago Splitter will be a boost for the front court, and I can see him being a great player to complement Tim, however I am certain that he is is not the one for Tim to pass the proverbial torch to. DeJuan Blair will develop into a great role player, but his lack of size will also prevent him from being the next BIG to take the reins. So it remains that once Duncan leaves, this franchise will be in complete rebuilding mode. What about the draft? Can we move up to find this individual? I personally like Hassan Whiteside and would be thrilled if we could get him. He’s very raw, but I believe Tim could really help his development. Maybe even David Robinson could give him some off the court tutelage. If not, it’ll be interesting to see what happens to our front court next season. Tim deserves the maximum effort from the FO to get the best help he can.

Next, 2 flaws PHX dramatically exposed. 3 point shooting and perimeter defense.

I’ve always liked Courtney Lee. When the Magic traded him to New Jersey after last season, I thought we should have made an offer for him before the deadline. Getting him and someone else would’ve been perfect. And, he’s still on his rookie scale contract. Lee is a good defender, however unlike Bogans and Mason, can dribble, penetrate and create his own shot. I do hope they try to make a run at this guy. How about Raja Bell? An even better defender and a guy we know who can knock down them 3’s. Daniel Gibson has fallen out of regular rotation in Cleveland. Not much of a defender IMO, however he’s a proven threat behind the line. Perhaps an offseason trade can happen there. Channing Frye mentioned earlier the possibility of opting out of his contract, however he will likely demand more money than he’s already making.

What about veterans? Antonio McDyess is a warrior and a perfect vet to come off the bench for this team. He could opt to retire after this season, however if he stays, I’ll have absolutely no gripe about it. I’d like to see the Spurs sign Anthony Carter as a backup point guard for the team. Great experienced player who can dribble and pass. I believe though that we are witnessing a transition stage for our star players. Tim Duncan is over 30. Manu is over 30. Tony is almost there. Our once spry and young core of players have turned into veterans themselves. That’s a great luxury only few teams will have. The key is, finding younger guys who can assume the star roles on this team.

It may be a very active offseason. Likewise, it maybe one that brings virtually no changes to this team at all. Either way, it will dramatically shape the direction of this franchise for the next decade or so. Peter Holt lost this year’s gamble, but he has to accept this one way or the other…in a small market, you most likely will have to stay above the salary cap for sometime in order to make this team a true contender as they once were before.

So here’s to next season Spurs fans. We didn’t have the best of seasons this year, but the good memories will always be there. Man, I tell you, Manu’s block on KD was huge, but then the block on KG? Wow.

Can’t wait for the draft and free agency to begin. Till then, GO SPURS GO!

-BadOne

BadOne
05-10-2010, 09:01 AM
BTW, anyone know what pick(s) we have in the 2nd round? Are there any prospects there?

ajballer4
05-10-2010, 09:24 AM
What about CP3? I know hes a longshot, but the Hornets seem like they want Collison to be the new guy, and we've rumored to have made that offer earlier this season

WalterBenitez
05-10-2010, 09:42 AM
The better team won and by far ...

Our side needs to be redraw, RJ + Roger M must go, we need to improve our bench bring Tiago, why not try a shot on Scola + another interesting thing around.

DesignatedT
05-10-2010, 09:45 AM
of course the better team won, we just got swept.

lefty
05-10-2010, 09:46 AM
Fuck Pop for destroying RMJ by playing him as a backup PG

Hey Pop, get a clue, he is supposed to be a SG

admiralsnackbar
05-10-2010, 09:50 AM
What about CP3? I know hes a longshot, but the Hornets seem like they want Collison to be the new guy, and we've rumored to have made that offer earlier this season

It really is the off-season, isn't it? :wakeup

BadOne
05-10-2010, 09:57 AM
It really is the off-season, isn't it? :wakeup

:lol

florige
05-10-2010, 10:02 AM
I call bull shit. The better team laid an egg, for the entire damn season. You got a hard on for the Mavs, then turned around and rolled over and gave up the nookie for a scrub Suns team.

You had better hope those "scrubs" aren't still hot as they were from 3 like they were against us.