PDA

View Full Version : Allen: Not Sitting Pretty

Kori Ellis
05-10-2005, 03:58 AM
Allen: Not Sitting Pretty
By Kori Ellis
SpursZONE.com

http://www.woai.com/spurs/story.aspx?content_id=830F7074-0E19-45CD-AA7D-64143FCF2179

As the San Antonio Spurs prepare for their second game against the Seattle Supersonics Tuesday night at the SBC Center, much of the talk surrounding the series has been shifted to Ray Allen’s feud with Bruce Bowen. The latest from Allen is his belief that Bowen intentionally injured him during game one.

"Same old Bruce," Allen told the Seattle Times. "I got caught on his foot and it just turned. He's good for that. He's done that before."

For only being six games into their playoff run, the Spurs have already dealt with an inordinate amount of complaining from their opponents. In their first round matchup with the Denver Nuggets, George Karl wasn’t bashful in his criticism of the officiating and the way certain Spurs play.

Karl, much like Allen, was outspoken in his claims that Bowen gets away with physical play. But don’t confuse Karl and Allen for friends. The bad blood between the pair has been overflowing since their days together in Milwaukee when Karl coached Allen.

"He's a great player,” said Karl when questioned about Allen in the past. “But he cares too much about having style, making highlights and being cool.''

Being cool is tough with Bowen following your every move. Allen looked like the best player in the league during the Sonics’ first round matchup with the Sacramento Kings. The Kings, never to be confused with a defensive juggernaut, let Allen do whatever he wanted on the court. Bowen makes Allen adjust to him and Allen doesn’t like it.

In addition to his comments about Bowen, Karl was vocal about the play of Manu Ginobili.

”I love Manu, but he makes the game difficult to play, makes it difficult to defend, makes it difficult to referee,'' said Karl. “Personally, watching it kind of makes the game ugly.''

Ugly is playoff basketball, and Karl knows this. In the coach’s rant, Karl basically called Ginobili the Anti-Ray Allen, which in retrospect is a good thing.

Another perspective on Allen can be attained by listening to what Spurs reserve forward Glenn Robinson had to say about his former Bucks teammate. When Robinson was traded from Milwaukee to Atlanta, he took issue with Allen saying the trade to get rid of him was a good one.

"A lot of people were saying how bad of a trade it was and that they didn't get anything for me," said Robinson, "and for (Ray) to come out and say something like that, that's gay to me. You know what I mean? I look at him as a coward."

"It's no secret in the league that he's soft," Robinson said. "He needs to let me live my life and finish my career instead of talking about him being glad that I'm gone.

"I can remember when ... what's Dennis Rodman's boy name? His right hand man? He was with him at San Antonio? ... (Jack Haley) Yeah. Haley knocked the (expletive) out of him.

"Who was the first one there to take up for him? Big Dog was. He needs to work on not being so soft and quit being a little punk on the court. Just play ball and keep his mouth closed.”

Allen closing his mouth anytime soon isn’t too likely. He complained about Bowen before the series had even started. And because he becomes a free-agent after these playoffs, Allen has to be quick to deflect any criticism that could come his way. Blaming Bowen is the easy out for Allen at this stage.

"From a referee's point of view, if there's riding going on out on the floor, you have to make the call, plain and simple,” said Allen to the media on Monday. “I've played against (Bowen) before and when you take a shot, what he does is, he'll put his hands up, but he'll move his body right into your body. When you do that, you're putting the guy you're playing against in danger. It's just dirty basketball.”

Oddly enough, Karl gives the best insight on why Allen has been quick to whimper when tough defense has been played on him.

"I call him Barbie Doll because he wants to be pretty.”

Barbie Doll has a chance for revenge in game two, but don’t count on it. Bowen’s defense won’t be pretty.

violentkitten
05-10-2005, 04:01 AM
nothing better than spur role players getting into their superstar's head. nice article by the way, madam ellis.

gospursgojas
05-10-2005, 04:04 AM
Great article Kori

ZStomp
05-10-2005, 04:04 AM
Oh my god!!!!

Did Karl really make those comments???

When? On tv?? Kori, did you interview him????? When?

This Allen punk is getting on my nerves!

gospursgojas
05-10-2005, 04:05 AM
I knew Ray was going to become our new crybaby this series, with Bruce defending him, and with the bad blood between him and Big Dawg, but I didnt know it would come this soon.....

Kori Ellis
05-10-2005, 04:07 AM
Oh my god!!!!

Did Karl really make those comments???

When? On tv?? Kori, did you interview him????? When?

This Allen punk is getting on my nerves!

The George Karl "Barbie Doll" comment and the others are from a couple years ago after Ray was traded from the Bucks.

mattyc
05-10-2005, 05:11 AM
"I can remember when ... what's Dennis Rodman's boy name? His right hand man? He was with him at San Antonio? ... (Jack Haley) Yeah. Haley knocked the (expletive) out of him. :makemyday Big Dog.

"Who was the first one there to take up for him? Big Dog was. He needs to work on not being so soft and quit being a little punk on the court. Just play ball and keep his mouth closed.”
:makemyday Big Dog.

polandprzem
05-10-2005, 05:44 AM
Nice artcle Kori :tu

:princess

Well I realy knew that Ray will be bitching but what he is doing right now....

Man he is crying all the time

:drunk give his something to drink because he may loose all his water from the organism through the eyes

travis2
05-10-2005, 07:29 AM
That one needs some play in Seattle...maybe those cheap whores the PI calls "sportswriters" can learn something.

MannyIsGod
05-10-2005, 08:42 AM
“I've played against (Bowen) before and when you take a shot, what he does is, he'll put his hands up, but he'll move his body right into your body. When you do that, you're putting the guy you're playing against in danger. It's just dirty basketball.”

No, stupid. That's called defense.

picnroll
05-10-2005, 09:02 AM
Excellent article Kori

Ginofan
05-10-2005, 09:08 AM
LOL @ Big Dog :roll

That was awesome Kori! Nice job :)

xcoriate
05-10-2005, 09:30 AM
Big dog talks about himself in 3rd person. Thats fucking sweet :lol

Great article Kori.

Someone needs to stand up for Bruce whilst other try to tarnish his name. Bruce wont react and neither will SA front office. The media in SA needs to support him.

Fouled Out
05-10-2005, 09:52 AM
I love Manu, but he makes the game difficult to play, makes it difficult to defend, makes it difficult to referee,'' said Karl. “Personally, watching it kind of makes the game ugly.''

Can you believe this guy said this!!! We have a Flip Flopper in our hands, Not ugly just some good ball reading, in your face basketball.

violentkitten
05-10-2005, 10:17 AM
funny how when manu gets roughed up when he drives its a major problem but when spur opponents do they are pussies

SouthernFried
05-10-2005, 10:22 AM
She's a BARBIE DOLL!!
She's a BARBIE DOLL!!
She's real good lookin'...
But got no heart at all.

Lyrics to Jack Ingrams "Barbie Doll!"

MadDog73
05-10-2005, 10:24 AM
funny how when manu gets roughed up when he drives its a major problem but when spur opponents do they are pussies

Difference is, Manu gets back up and goes twice as hard the next time.

Allen leaves the game.

gospursgojas
05-10-2005, 11:05 AM
Difference is, Manu gets back up and goes twice as hard the next time.

Allen leaves the game.

Good one mad dog

Ishta
05-10-2005, 11:12 AM
I can't stand cry baby allen...Whoever goes to the game tonight ought to take some baby rattles, pacifiers, bottles etc... instead of booing him cry like a fing baby!!

GO BRUCE GO

gospursgojas
05-10-2005, 11:22 AM
I can't stand cry baby allen...Whoever goes to the game tonight ought to take some baby rattles, pacifiers, bottles etc... instead of booing him cry like a fing baby!!

GO BRUCE GO

Thats what I thought we should do Game 5 of the Denver series, for George Karl. I did hear a few rattles then, but it would be awesome if we could actually get enough people to do that, to get noticed...

Notorious H.O.P.
05-10-2005, 11:37 AM
Great article and great use of previous quotes by current principals. If Ray Allen leaves Seattle as a free agent, it will be interesting to see what his teammates will say about him then.

DDS4
05-10-2005, 11:42 AM
If anything, Ray could learn a few things from Manu. Instead of complaining of not getting calls through the media, Ray should initiate contact, draw fouls, and make the refs make calls.

Manu does it beautifully.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-10-2005, 12:01 PM
. . .what he does is, he'll put his hands up, but he'll move his body right into your body. When you do that, you're putting the guy you're playing against in danger.

Woah!!! Let me see if I've got this straight, Ray. Bruce puts his hands up in the air and uses his BODY to play defense??!!!

The horror!!!

CosmicCowboy
05-10-2005, 12:04 PM
Woah!!! Let me see if I've got this straight, Ray. Bruce puts his hands up in the air and uses his BODY to play defense??!!!

The horror!!!

:lmao

I hear that Ray Allen is asking the NBA to model their perimeter defensive rules after the new SA stripper "three foot" ordinance...:lol

Horry For 3!
05-10-2005, 12:05 PM
ESPN interviewed Allen yesterday and to see if he was going to play today. He sounded as he wasn't sure and sounded like he probably won't. If he doesn't play today I think it's because he scared of Bowen. He said I don't really have a reason to play this game 2 in San Antonio because we have 2 in Seattle.

bigbendbruisebrother
05-10-2005, 12:09 PM
OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, Barbie Doll--that's perfect!!!

Somebody out there with Photoshop get busy!

samikeyp
05-10-2005, 12:12 PM
Ray is a Barbie girl in a Barbie world.

well done K. :smokin

tlongII
05-10-2005, 12:16 PM
Nice read Kori.

Kori Ellis
05-10-2005, 12:23 PM
Thanks for all the props.

It's no secret that Bowen is one of my favorite Spurs. So you didn't think I'd stand idly by on this, did you? :)

tlongII
05-10-2005, 12:34 PM
Thanks for all the props.

It's no secret that Bowen is one of my favorite Spurs. So you didn't think I'd stand idly by on this, did you? :)

I can't stand Bowen, but I liked the article. Very entertaining.

TMSKILZ
05-10-2005, 12:48 PM
Can someone please bring a Barbie doll to 2nights game or to game6 (if there is a game 5) @ the SBC or make a sign in reference to the Karl barbie doll comments?

That was classic, Kori anyway to get the SBC music guy to play that techno song "I'm a barbie girl, in a barbie world" when Allen touches the ball or misses a shot?

LMAO!

Useruser666
05-10-2005, 01:20 PM
http://img231.echo.cx/img231/3785/rayallenbarbie3nh.jpg

Solid D
05-10-2005, 01:29 PM
:rollin @ Useruser