PDA

View Full Version : # Rumors: Spurs' Parker on block this summer Insider

TheSpursFNRule
05-10-2010, 03:49 AM
Someone with insider post this!!!

milkyway21
05-10-2010, 03:52 AM
U must be kidding me.

U want to see TP & Kobe next yr? It will really piss me off. Unless of course they hire DWade

TheSpursFNRule
05-10-2010, 03:54 AM
Okay man I have no idea what your talking about. Someone post the fucking insider.

DesignatedT
05-10-2010, 03:57 AM
this needs to stop already. tony isn't going anywhere, and nor should he. We would be in much worse shape without him.

rayray2k8
05-10-2010, 04:03 AM
It might be this.

Spurs could take new directions

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playof...nsgame3-100508

SAN ANTONIO -- Tim Duncan was sitting on the corridor floor, with Gregg Popovich standing over him, two unquestioned champions presumably trying to make sense of what had just happened to the team that just last week was being hailed as the most fearsome No. 7 seed in history.

You couldn't get close enough to hear what they were saying. Yet you could safely assume that this was not the way they expected the Phoenix Suns to finally get their vengeance.

The sight of Duncan and Popovich commiserating in a hallway outside the Spurs' locker room was the chilling picture Goran Dragic left in his wake late Friday night, after shredding the San Antonio Spurs like they belonged in his Slovenian league back home. The Suns still have to win one more game to say they've at last beaten Team Duncan in a playoff series for the first time in five tries, but good luck finding someone willing to pick these Spurs to become the first team in NBA history to recover from a 3-0 deficit after the 23-point highlight reel Dragic assembled in the final 12 minutes.

Never in the Duncan era have the Spurs sounded as bewildered in defeat as they sounded after this 110-96 Game 3 pounding, which marked the first time in Pop's 14-season reign that San Antonio surrendered 110 points in three straight games in the postseason.

Never did they imagine missing seven straight free throws in the first half to throw away their early momentum, ultimately blowing all of an 18-point lead and then fading away in crunch time against the speed of a tiny, sub-filled, drive-and-kick lineup ... while Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire and Jason Richardson led the cheers from the Suns' bench.

Someone asked Duncan, before he made it out to his impromptu meeting with his coach in the hall, how surprised he was by all of this.

"I still am," Duncan said.

Exasperated teammate Manu Ginobili added: "It was kind of embarrassing. ... It's really hard not only because of the fact that we are down 3-0 [but because of] the way they are beating us.

"In the first game, we fouled too much and they [scored] too much in transition. In Game 2, they stopped running but they beat us on offensive rebounds. Tonight we didn't foul them, they didn't beat us on the offensive boards, Amare scored seven points and they killed us anyway. That's the tough part to swallow."

That's actually only one slice of the unsavory stuff the Spurs have to digest. There's more. Lots more.

The short-term problem: Tony Parker, making his first start of the playoffs in this Game 3, landed hard on his shoulder after a second-quarter collision with Stoudemire -- with the hosts still up 16 -- and will undergo an MRI on Saturday to determine his status for Sunday's Game 4.

The long-term issue, meanwhile, is how to proceed roster-wise after the Suns finish the Spurs off, which looms as an inevitability no matter how jittery Suns fans are when it comes to San Antonio, even with a 3-0 cushion.

Owner Peter Holt sanctioned the offseason acquisitions of Richard Jefferson and Antonio McDyess, pushing his payroll into the $80 million range, because he believed the Duncan-Ginobili-Parker triumvirate was still a title contender if healthy. A six-game dismissal of the Spurs' longtime rivals from Dallas in the first round had finally begun to convince Holt that the investments were worth it, but the grittier-than-ever Suns' ability to grind out wins in the past two games when San Antonio shut down their running game has instead spawned the suggestion that the No. 2-seeded Mavericks would have taken out the aging No. 7 seeds if Dallas coach Rick Carlisle had simply unleashed his Dragic -- rookie guard Rodrigue Beaubois -- as so many Mavs fans lobbied for back in Big D.

Sources with knowledge of the team's thinking say the Spurs are increasingly optimistic about their ability to inject their front line with some new blood by convincing Brazilian forward Tiago Splitter -- whom they drafted in 2007 -- to leave the European game to come to the NBA starting next season. Yet it remains to be seen how aggressive San Antonio feels it'll have to be about reshaping the rest of the roster after Jefferson's season of struggle, with Parker -- unpalatable as it sounds -- ranking as its best trade asset. The Frenchman has only one season left on his contract ($13.5 million) after this season and, according to a recent report in the San Antonio Express-News, has told friends that he's unsure about his future in town after the contract extension recently bestowed upon Ginobili and with second-year guard George Hill capable of playing the same position.

First, though, the Spurs are going to have to get over this thorough humbling at home. Which certainly didn't sound imminent as you listened to various Spurs describe the problems they had dealing with the guard penetration and pick-and-roll success Phoenix manufactured at the start of the decisive fourth quarter with a group of Grant Hill, Jared Dudley, Channing Frye, Leandro Barbosa and Dragic on the floor.

"We are going to have to play the perfect game," Ginobili said of possibly stealing Game 4, after the Spurs slipped into a 3-0 hole for just the third time in the history of the franchise.

"They just killed us."

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here.

rayray2k8
05-10-2010, 04:03 AM
Unless it's something else. This was from after game 3.

milkyway21
05-10-2010, 04:22 AM
The San Antonio Spurs season is not a disappointment.

Come on the Utah Jazz has not won a thing even during the 2x MVP Karl Malone era and it's still kind of amazing to see their fans cheer for their team each yr.

Keep the 21+20+9+3 Alive

Buddy Holly
05-10-2010, 04:27 AM
U must be kidding me.

U want to see TP & Kobe next yr? It will really piss me off. Unless of course they hire DWade

Why would the Spurs trade him to LA? You know that's the only way he'd end up in LA, is if the Spurs traded him there, which they're not going to do.

Bukefal
05-10-2010, 04:44 AM
Could take new directions, yes, but tp isnt going anywhere.

jiggy_55
05-10-2010, 05:26 AM
Someone with insider post this!!!

You should provide a link so others could find it and post it.

Unless it's something else. This was from after game 3.

I don' believe that's an Insider article, although I couldn't click on the shortened link you posted to confirm.

TheSpursFNRule
05-10-2010, 05:58 AM
You should provide a link so others could find it and post it.

I don' believe that's an Insider article, although I couldn't click on the shortened link you posted to confirm.

Sorry man next time i'll be sure to give the link for espn.com :rolleyes

sonic21
05-10-2010, 06:13 AM
already posted

Now down 3-0 to the Suns in the second round of the playoffs, the Spurs are on the verge of being ousted from the postseason.

So what to do with the roster this summer?

ESPN's Marc Stein writes that the team will likely try and convince Brazilian forward Tiago Splitter -- a player they drafted in 2007 -- to leave Europe and play in the league next season.

But is it also possible the team will look to trade -- gasp -- Tony Parker (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1015)?

As shocking as it sounds, Parker is likely the team's best trade asset, and he'll be on the last year of his contract next season,

lefty
05-10-2010, 08:15 AM
L.a

WalterBenitez
05-10-2010, 08:56 AM
It makes sense TP + RJ or Manu + RJ ... that money could let us to get some good players to enhance our bench

CubanMustGo
05-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Bonner + RJ FTW

jiggy_55
05-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Sorry man next time i'll be sure to give the link for espn.com :rolleyes

You're retarded, and I'm loving the sarcasm. It seems you are the only one to have seen an insider article mentioning Parker on the block.

montgod
05-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Another bogus attempt at making news where there is no news. TP ain't going no where unless NO calls and says they will give us Paul... which will never happen. TP won't be going anywhere.

rjv
05-10-2010, 09:34 AM
no real significant evidence there that suggests tony is on the trading block. but it is a possibility certainly. spurs would have to consider it if it meant getting more talented at the 2 and/or 3 spot.

dbestpro
05-10-2010, 09:36 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-100509/daily-dime

The good news: San Antonio will have the blossoming George Hill and DeJuan Blair coming back next season, along with the 20th pick in the June draft, which is the Spurs' highest selection since winning the lottery in 1997 and the right to take Duncan. Team sources say that the Spurs remain optimistic about their chances of convincing 2007 draftee Tiago Splitter to leave Europe and come to the NBA next season.

The complicated part: San Antonio has a nearly $80 million payroll after an aggressive offseason led to the acquisitions of Richard Jefferson and Antonio McDyess, but the Spurs couldn't build on a first-round win over its old rivals from Dallas that had many experts pegging them to be back in the title mix.

As a consequence of this one-sided defeat, San Antonio is thus expected to at least consider trading Tony Parker to either give its three-man core a fresh look or find a younger big man to pair with Duncan, after signing Manu Ginobili to a three-year contract worth nearly $40 million last month and with Duncan and Spurs coach Gregg Popovich under contract through 2011-12.

Duncan wouldn't be drawn on specific areas that need improvement, saying only: "We'll start doing whatever we've got to do to prepare for next year."

rjv
05-10-2010, 09:54 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-100509/daily-dime

The good news: San Antonio will have the blossoming George Hill and DeJuan Blair coming back next season, along with the 20th pick in the June draft, which is the Spurs' highest selection since winning the lottery in 1997 and the right to take Duncan. Team sources say that the Spurs remain optimistic about their chances of convincing 2007 draftee Tiago Splitter to leave Europe and come to the NBA next season.

The complicated part: San Antonio has a nearly $80 million payroll after an aggressive offseason led to the acquisitions of Richard Jefferson and Antonio McDyess, but the Spurs couldn't build on a first-round win over its old rivals from Dallas that had many experts pegging them to be back in the title mix.

As a consequence of this one-sided defeat, San Antonio is thus expected to at least consider trading Tony Parker to either give its three-man core a fresh look or find a younger big man to pair with Duncan, after signing Manu Ginobili to a three-year contract worth nearly $40 million last month and with Duncan and Spurs coach Gregg Popovich under contract through 2011-12.

Duncan wouldn't be drawn on specific areas that need improvement, saying only: "We'll start doing whatever we've got to do to prepare for next year."

time to start seeing what swingmen will be around at the 20 spot.

scottspurs
05-10-2010, 09:58 AM
Trading Parker and creating more chemistry problems will be the Death of the Spurs at least for the Duncan Era.

Cane
05-10-2010, 10:25 AM
Tony Parker hindered the Spurs the most out of the Big 3 and despite his injuries he's still going to play for France this summer whereas Manu at least is taking this summer off.

If there's a good enough deal, then he should be traded.

EricB
05-10-2010, 10:28 AM
:lol yeah cause all star level point guard like him are sooooooooo easy to find...

ducks
05-10-2010, 10:29 AM
I don’t know what the Spurs want to do. So I can’t tell what’s going to happen .
that was to yesterday

z0sa
05-10-2010, 10:29 AM
We already have a gargantuan expiring in RJ. I doubt the FO trades any of the Big 3 at this point.

deibero
05-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Holliner talks about it in todays Insider Per Diem...

Heres the part regarding the Spurs:

" As for the Spurs, they've already committed their free-agent money by agreeing to a three-year, $37 million extension for Manu Ginobili (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=272) late in the regular season. However, they might be pondering a change of course after being thoroughly outclassed by Phoenix in the second round. The Spurs could go into the luxury tax if they sign Brazilian big man Tiago Splitter, a seemingly necessary move to augment the frontcourt. If they also plan to bring back Matt Bonner (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1996) and Roger Mason (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1721) or sign any notable free agents, that seems certain to put them over.

The Spurs' preferred course would be to find a taker for $15 million mistake Richard Jefferson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1006); of course, they'd also like to trade Malik Hairston (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3433) for LeBron James (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1966). More realistically, San Antonio can explore trading Tony Parker (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1015). He's on the books for $13.5 million, but the Spurs have a capable reserve in George Hill (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3438) who makes only $1.5 million. If they can trade Parker for help on the wings and/or a true "stretch 4" to help them match up against the Suns and Blazers of the world, it could get them under the tax line while also prying the window open on the Duncan era for another year."

Hollinger finishes by sayin that he doesnt believe Parker will be with the Spurs next year.

Chomag
05-10-2010, 10:52 AM
As I have said in other posts. I as a fan have my own ideas but I think what would make the FO ultimately decide is what Tony Parker decides to do this summer.

Borosai
05-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Right, get rid of the most consistent scorer on a team full of inconsistent scorers. That would be perfect.

TJastal
05-10-2010, 11:00 AM
*Time machine to 5 years from now*

Duncan is 39 and can barely run, Manu 37 and can't play more than 15 minutes a game, TP 32 and is now regularily missing half the season with injuries.

Random spurs dude: Hey guys, ESPN insider posted a link about trading one of the big 3... finally guys maybe we can get that big man to replace Bonner finally! What do you think?

Designated_T: Dis sheeit needs to stop man, we'd be fucked without the big 3. They will retire as spurs as long as I play a mean banjo!

Eric B: Fuck that man and fuck all da haters... there is still another title in this core, I feel it.

Bukefal: TP isn't going anywhere. He's confined to his crutches and wheelchair anyway. TP rox!

SpurOutofTownFan
05-10-2010, 11:01 AM
I think trading parker will be a huge mistake. for several reasons.

Chomag
05-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Right, get rid of the most consistent scorer on a team full of inconsistent scorers. That would be perfect.

It's about improving the team not about the individual player. Who else on the spurs has any trade Value? Unless you are the Lakers most teams have to give to get.

RiverwalkParade
05-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Let's say Lebron leaves Cleveland. What better way to rebuild than to take on two huge expirings and count on next seasons FA crop to reload.

Parker/RJ for Varajeo/Boobie/Jamario/Antwan

Any takers?

rascal
05-10-2010, 11:09 AM
It's about improving the team not about the individual player. Who else on the spurs has any trade Value? Unless you are the Lakers most teams have to give to get.

Manu after his nice stretch of games in the regular season.

dbestpro
05-10-2010, 11:19 AM
The number one reason to trade Parker.

Parker is the marquee free agent in 2011. He will want a max contract, something that I think the front office has a terrible time accepting. So, its either send him out now for something in return or see him go next year for nothing or at best a sign and trade.

beachwood
05-10-2010, 11:29 AM
I'm predicting TP will be gone. He's the biggest trade asset the Spurs have and after being swept, changes have to be made. Unless making the 2nd round of the playoffs is good enough for the franchise.

I couldn't imagine the Big 3 not suiting up together, but I'm bracing myself for what I feel is the inevitable.

I kinda blame RJ's inability to adapt his game and RMJ, Bogans, Bonner, the triumvirate of suck, for putting the team in this position. Those four guys and their inability to compete at a consistently high level and give the Big 3 help is at fault, I believe.

mexpurs21
05-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Damn, What would the world be like if ESPN's Trade Machine was fo' real:

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp134/mexpurs21/Trade.png

itsamanuthree
05-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Well, I disagree a bit. I don't think our "big 3" actually worked as pieces of the same "machine". I mean, they all contributed and a lot of stats and shared many minutes and ring quests, but, after so many years, I can't see them working as a threesome in the pitch. Parker and Manu do, specially Manu, have a connection with Duncan (I guess any guard in the league would at some extent), but Manu and Parker haven't find that connection, they don't boost themselves, and, perhaps on the contrary, cause they have different styles.

I like Tony in his way, or in my way, shall I say, but I think trading him to get a good couple of hard-working low-profile forwards (I miss bowen) (and I think in Nocioni), some other players and money for contracts, would make of his departure a great deal.

Kori Ellis
05-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Stein's article has a big flaw in that it says George Hill can play point guard. If the Spurs got an amazing offer for Parker (just like everyone else on the team), I don't doubt they take it. But if Parker doesn't play international ball this summer, I don't think they are actively out there looking to trade him. Their plan will probably be to start the Hill-Parker backcourt next year, with Manu coming off the bench again so they can better manage his minutes.

silverblk mystix
05-10-2010, 12:22 PM
If you/we ...were to be really honest---Parker has the most TALENT of the big three and should be the LAST to be considered as trade bait---

but no=one wants to hear about trading the other two--so we all are just pissing in the wind here...

smeagol
05-10-2010, 12:50 PM
RJ makes more than Tony and Manu (each individually).

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

ducks
05-10-2010, 12:51 PM
spurs did not give him that contract!

rjv
05-10-2010, 12:53 PM
suns and blazers? what about the lakers?

actually the blazers are the biggest worry. nash will eventually start playing more like the 40 year old he almost is.

ducks
05-10-2010, 12:54 PM
spurs should go after rudy

Drewlius
05-10-2010, 12:57 PM
If Spurs make it a point that any team looking for Parker must take on Richard Jefferson as well, I am 100% interested in the Spurs shopping him. Adding RJ's contract into any Parker trade must be a necessity as far as I'm concerned.

Doe
05-10-2010, 02:27 PM
I keep seeing it mentioned that the Spurs would be willing to trade Parker because they have George Hill. I hope to God not, I love Hill, but he didn't show any PG ability this year. Additionally his inability to guard PG's, run the pick & roll well, as well as bouts of passivity would leave a huge hole at that spot.

D. Nile
05-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Trading Parker? That seems a bit premature, doesn't it? Why don't we wait until the offseason for that.

The Spurs still got a job to dae and the Finals are less thean a month away. It's time to buckle down and get focused, not shufty to trade players. Let's get focused lads. Our chaps need us to support em on this endeavour with all of our heart. We're in sterling shape!

Toodle pip!

Spurs Brazil
05-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Parker, Spurs temper trade speculation

By PAUL J. WEBER
Associated Press Writer

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- Gregg Popovich joked last summer that he should be fired if the revamped Spurs didn't win a fifth title this season.

He'll be back. Who else will be is the question.

Popovich said Monday that this season was the most difficult of his 14 years in San Antonio. He cited the struggles the Spurs had adjusting to a roster overhaul they hoped would restore their championship form.

The Spurs wound up being the No. 7 seed and were swept by Phoenix in the Western Conference semifinals.

Popovich expects a less busy summer this time. Tony Parker and general manager R.C. Buford also sounded like the star point guard isn't going anywhere despite his contract expiring next season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-spurswrapup

itsamanuthree
05-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Yes, of course, nobody here's talking about trading Parker because of his performances on the playoffs, or season, for instance, but, you know, just letting our thoughts breath some air, see the light, that aint hurt anybody! ups, maybe Parker reads this forum... nah, I don't think so. It's allright, I'd just love to trade Parker for T Prince, he's very level-headed guy and excellent player, of course, some other players would have to come along with him.

Thompson
05-10-2010, 02:55 PM
With what the Hornet's new point guard showed this year, perhaps if Paul prodded them they'd consider trading him for Parker. They don't want a disgruntled Paul, and with Parker they could try him out for a year and see if they liked him before resigning him (or letting him expire for cap space).

Wouldn't happen unless Paul demanded a trade, but I'd be hesitant to trade Parker for anyone other than Paul, Deron, etc. I don't even like Chris Paul, but he's a good player.

What the hell, with Paul, Duncan, Splitter, and Ginobili, go ahead and do a S&T Jefferson/filler for LeBron. :p:

itsamanuthree
05-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Hha, that sounds gooood. But hey, aside the Lebron joke, it's not that crazy. I would, anyway, prefer this:

-------------Manu---------------------Prince---------------

---Splitter------------------------------------------Nocioni-

------------------------Duncan----------------------------

Bench (they're chanting and smiling):
Hill
Blair

ohoooo!

just fill that bench with some decent players and there we go

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Hha, that sounds gooood. But hey, aside the Lebron joke, it's not that crazy. I would, anyway, prefer this:

-------------Manu---------------------Prince---------------

---Splitter------------------------------------------Nocioni-

------------------------Duncan----------------------------

Bench (they're chanting and smiling):
Hill
Blair

ohoooo!

just fill that bench with some decent players and there we go

So who's your point guard? Manu? :lol

And I'm sorry, but you're the third person on this site to throw out Tayshaun. Have any of you seen him play (when healthy) the last two years? He's moving about as quick as Tim these days, and you're talking about someone having to defend on the perimeter.

itsamanuthree
05-10-2010, 04:48 PM
It's just that I think he's an excellent player. I don't really know about he's physical condition, but he's mental approach is what I like the most. I saw him last time around an year ago.

Regarding your question, well, I hadn't thought about the tactical consequences, but if you make me so, here I come...

Manu can certainly fill many of the PG "traditional" responsabilities (even though we all know there are many nuances between all these labbels we put). For instance, he has a great understanding of what's going on on the court. He's the spur who better understands what Poppovich is willing to do (Poppovich said this on many occasions). Manu's also very creative when it comes to distribute the ball, and he's fast thinking and crafty. He's got also a leading spirit. I don't see why he can't do it... isn't he short enough? No, ok, that was a joke. I really don't know what is so ridiculous and laughable at the idea of playing him as a PG, at least sharing the PG tasks. But perhaps you can explain what were you talking about. That'd be great

Josepatches_
05-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Nocioni,Splitter,Manu...what about Prigioni at PG? No serás argentino,verdad?

I said the same a lot of times these days.

Nobody want to break this team but there is not another tittle in this core.Spurs know that.

Splitter is far away to be enough.To make a good trade isn't easy but we have to do something.Parker,Manu or TD can go if the team is going to be better

Parker will be free agent in 2011.We can't paid him a lot to resign because our cap space.He could play next summer.Sure he will play in 2011 summer because he wants to stay in London 2012.He will play in the summer of 2012.A lot of risk for the Spurs. They have to choose what to do

itsamanuthree
05-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Haha!! Paisano. Prigioni! Jaja, cómo no, y te debe salir dos mangos aparte.

CGD
05-10-2010, 07:32 PM
You have to try TP for Chris Paul straight up. Let's see if NOLA is really in THAT bad of a financial hardship to dump CP3s longterm deal.

elbamba
05-10-2010, 07:33 PM
I wonder if the Spurs would move Parker for another 1st rounder this year? They would have to take back some salary I am sure, but perhaps a trade that included Andre miller and their 1st rounder for TP. I personally would pull the trigger if we could get D.J. Augustine from the Bobcats. That team needs more offense and Tony could provide that.

jiggy_55
05-11-2010, 02:04 AM
Stein's article has a big flaw in that it says George Hill can play point guard. If the Spurs got an amazing offer for Parker (just like everyone else on the team), I don't doubt they take it. But if Parker doesn't play international ball this summer, I don't think they are actively out there looking to trade him. Their plan will probably be to start the Hill-Parker backcourt next year, with Manu coming off the bench again so they can better manage his minutes.

As long as that is the case, G. Hill will continue to be destroyed by the bigger 2's while playing with Parker and he will never develop into a star talent. He's simply not big enough, tall enough, or strong enough. It's a mistake to think he is only a 2, in my opinion that is. He's shown time and time again that he will be abused while playing most SG's.

I understand he's not a typical PG either, but to think of him as an SG is idiotic I think. He has the necessary skills to be a PG, good ball handling and decent passing. He's developed a nice shot, he has good speed and size. We saw that when Parker was out, he could get decent assists #'s as well. The reason his assist numbers were so low in the PO's is because whenever he played with Parker or Manu, he was technically the 2 guard. So he RARELY was considered the ball handler or distributor, even if he was technically listed as the starting PG.