PDA

View Full Version : LeBron wants a turn at Rondo

Jamorir
05-10-2010, 08:09 AM
BOSTON -- You know the cliché. Playoff series are all about adjustments. Most times, the adjustments are subtle, such as the Celtics' decision to pressure the ball more often in Game 4, which coach Doc Rivers credited with being a huge difference-maker in Boston's series-evening 97-87 victory over Cleveland on Sunday.

But how about this for an adjustment? LeBron James (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1966), first-team All-NBA defense, starts Game 5 on Tuesday night guarding the player who he says is "dominating" this Eastern Conference semifinal: Rajon Rondo (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3026).

If LeBron has any say in the matter, it could well happen. In fact, according to one courtside observer, James and Cleveland coach Mike Brown got into a heated discussion about whether James should cover Rondo at the critical moments of the fourth quarter. Brown ultimately decided against it, but that could change moving forward.
[+] Enlargehttp://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0509/bos_a_rondots_200.jpg (http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/columns/story?columnist=may_peter&id=5176274#)AP Photo/Charles KrupaRajon Rondo, who torched Cleveland for 29 points, 18 rebounds and 13 assists Sunday, may be seeing more of LeBron James in the future.

"I would love to,'' James said after Rondo had eviscerated the Cavs with 29 points, 18 rebounds and 13 assists. "It's something we maybe should explore because Rondo is definitely dominating this series at the point guard position. For me, I don't have a problem taking Rondo or guarding Rondo throughout the course of the game. If the coaching staff or the guys want me to do it, I will."

He may have to. The Cavaliers have had no answer for Rondo, who is averaging 21.8 points, 13 assists and 8.3 rebounds in the 2-2 series. (Take away Game 3 and the numbers are 23, 14.7 and 9.3.) James takes pride in his defense and, he noted after Game 4, he had moved to guard Derrick Rose (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3456) in the first-round series with the Bulls. There also was a memorable mano-a-mano switch-over to Miami's Dwyane Wade (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1987) during the regular season.

"When the opportunity does present itself, or if it does present itself, I would take the challenge,'' James said of guarding Rondo.
It wouldn't be the first time such a move has happened. Kobe Bryant (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=110) has been known to guard Rondo on occasion, and in the Lakers' first-round series against Oklahoma City, he switched to cover Thunder point guard Russell Westbrook (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3468) after their series was tied 2-2. The Lakers won the next two games.

Old-time Celtics fans may recall the 1984 NBA Finals, when Magic Johnson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2334) had done what Rondo is doing over the first three games while the Celtics' best defensive player, Dennis Johnson, was guarding someone else. Coach KC Jones finally saw the light and moved DJ over to guard Magic and not only did the Celtics win three of the next four games -- and the title -- but the unflappable DJ had at least 20 points in each of those four games.

So it wouldn't be unprecedented. But it would be a concession on the part of the Cavs that the Anthony Parker (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=635) experiment needs to be, er, modified. The 6-foot-6 Parker has been Rondo's primary defender over the last three games. He has the size to bother Rondo, but he doesn't have nearly the quickness or anticipation. James would present a more sizable problem for Rondo; the reigning MVP is 6-8 to Rondo's 6-1 and also has about 70 pounds on Rondo.

The problem the Cavs would face with such a switch is the possible awakening of Paul Pierce (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=662), who had his fourth straight subpar game. James usually guards him. A switch would likely mean Parker would have to guard Pierce, something that might serve to resuscitate Pierce, who is averaging 11.8 points on 32 percent shooting. Just not having to peer into James' grill all night might seem like an utter emancipation for the beleaguered Celtics captain, who has almost as many fouls (13) as baskets (16) in the four games.
CELTICS DEFENSE IN HALF-COURT, LAST 2 GAMES

After the Celtics' normally stingy half-court defense was torched for 114 points on just 89 plays in Friday's Game 3 loss, Boston was able to get back to form on Sunday. In Game 4, the Celtics allowed just 74 points on 91 plays in the half-court.

Regardless of what the Cavs decide to do with Rondo, they returned to Cleveland not only having regained the home-court advantage, but also with the knowledge that, despite Rondo's heroics, they were right there Sunday until the final two minutes. This despite getting manhandled on the glass 47-33, registering no second-chance points (they had only three offensive rebounds even though they shot 40.3 percent) and getting outscored on the break 23-7. Oh, and they allowed 97 points, missed 10 free throws, got only 22 points from James (10 fewer than he had averaged in the first three games) and turned it over 17 times.

Let's just say who is going to guard Rondo isn't going to be the only thing on Brown's lesson plan for Game 5. It may be the first thing. But it won't be the only thing.

"There is no explanation for it. But we are not doing it,'' Brown said. The "it" in question was the Cavs' inability to keep the proverbial pedal to the metal for the full 48. "We have to do a better job. We talk about it. We preach it. Our guys talk about it and preach it. Now we just have to go out and do it. It's a 48-minute game. We can't afford to play one half on the road against a team like this."

James said he didn't think the Cavs lacked urgency, intensity or aggression, pointing to the 39 free throws the team attempted. "I think we played well,'' he said.
But after rallying from a double-digit hole in the third quarter to briefly take the lead late in the period, the Cavs opened the fourth quarter by going 0-of-5 from the field and adding four turnovers in the first 4:45, a stretch in which they were outscored 10-0. It was at the beginning of that run when Shaquille O'Neal picked up his fifth foul and went to the bench. He never returned. The Cavs never got the lead back.
"I was kind of surprised not to see him back on the floor,'' James said. "But they definitely turned it around at that point. They used their speed, they countered our aggression and they turned the game around."
They did indeed. They had to if this series was going to have any drama. Now, it's a best-of-three. And if James has anything to say about it, and one thinks his voice does carry some weight, the fun may just be beginning.

LOL@him pulling a Kobe

Darthkiller
05-10-2010, 10:11 AM
who guardrs pierce then.

Giuseppe
05-10-2010, 10:19 AM
He's just trying to be like Kobe so bad.

Grand citation, Luva. Yer battin' like a .1000, maybe even better.:lol

LnGrrrR
05-10-2010, 10:38 AM
No one has to guard him, he sucks.

That's the big question. Has Pierce been sucking due to guarding Lebron and picking up quick fouls? Or is he just too old?

If Lebron switches onto Rondo, then Pierce has to come through with a good game, at least 20 pts and preferably at 45% FG.

If he doesn't, no way we win, unless RayRay goes insane beyond the arc or one or more of the bench players play out of their minds.

Darthkiller
05-10-2010, 10:52 AM
rayray was 1-7 from threes last game and boston still won

picc84
05-10-2010, 10:54 AM
If Lebron switches to Rondo, go to Pierce on Parker or West, or whoever. That they've managed to get this series to 2-2 with the best player on earth getting outshined by Tony Allen is nothing short of amazing.

LnGrrrR
05-10-2010, 11:08 AM
KG has been the gipper in this one. James will have no reward guarding Rajon. PP and Ray have to step up in this next one. They have to understand that this win propels them to the finals... literally. Cavs lose this game, they quit. The MAGIC are no match for the C's toughness.

Agreed. I sincerely hope they come out of the gates strong, but this team can be very lackadaisacal at times.

Ready for a cliche?

They've proven they have the TALENT... but do they have the HEART?

:downspin:

Allanon
05-10-2010, 11:10 AM
Reading the news today:

Lebron had a heated discussion with Mike Brown during the game about letting him guard Rondo
Shaq's pissed at Mike Brown for not letting him play in the 4th

If the Celtics pull this out, I think they have a fairly good chance of a Lakers rematch.

The Gemini Method
05-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Reading the news today:

Lebron had a heated discussion with Mike Brown during the game about letting him guard Rondo
Shaq's pissed at Mike Brown for not letting him play in the 4th

If the Celtics pull this out, I think they have a fairly good chance of a Lakers rematch.

There would be a rematch of sorts...but not Boston.

Allanon
05-10-2010, 11:12 AM
There would be a rematch of sorts...but not Boston.

I dunno, I have a feeling the Celtics can beat the Magic. Magic/Celtics series went 7 games last year without KG.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-10-2010, 11:19 AM
I'll even admit this is Lebron trying to mimic Kobe's Westbrook thing, blatantly obvious :lol

The time for him to do this was last year when Turk was picking Cleveland's D apart.

LnGrrrR
05-10-2010, 11:22 AM
I'll even admit this is Lebron trying to mimic Kobe's Westbrook thing, blatantly obvious :lol

He figured that everyone figured out his elbow=Kobe's finger tactic since he couldn't pull it off for crap, so now he'll find another tactic. :D

picc84
05-10-2010, 11:35 AM

The time for him to do this was last year when Turk was picking Cleveland's D apart.

Cavs fans had the nerve to blame "matchup problems" for their loss while Lebron was picking up Skip-to-my-Lou fullcourt. :lol

Quit Hatin'
05-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Who does he think he is Kobe?

He's gonna get pwnt

Quit Hatin'

The Gemini Method
05-10-2010, 11:40 AM
The more you look at the team, the more you realize that behind LeBron its mostly people who've never achieved much in the way of playoff success (cept Shaq of course) and they're getting blasted by Roller Skate Rondo. Though LeBron has played well this series, up to this point the series' MVP is Rajon imo.

An Unbiased Fan
05-10-2010, 11:52 AM
The artilcle is BS because there's no way Mike Brown has ever uttered the word "no" to Lebron. :lol

Frankly, the pressure's getting to him.

TheMACHINE
05-10-2010, 12:33 PM

TheMACHINE
05-10-2010, 12:34 PM
lol...so whos guarding paul pierce?

Killakobe81
05-10-2010, 12:34 PM
the problem is this: The problem the Cavs would face with such a switch is the possible awakening of Paul Pierce, who had his fourth straight subpar game. James usually guards him. A switch would likely mean Parker would have to guard Pierce, something that might serve to resuscitate Pierce, who is averaging 11.8 points on 32 percent shooting. Just not having to peer into James' grill all night might seem like an utter emancipation for the beleaguered Celtics captain, who has almost as many fouls (13) as baskets (16) in the four games

AND

What if rondo stillgets his probably less but still gets 80% of what he gets and pierce goes off?
what if Lebron gets tired (chasing Rondo) and the other cAvs are still cold from the field?

Cavs are the better team ...they just need to play like it ...Boston has better starting but Cavs are deeper have the best player and better coach they should not lose ...

mogrovejo
05-10-2010, 12:50 PM
who guardrs pierce then.

Well, we know who never had the balls to guard Pierce, even when Paul was destroying Radmanovic and Vujacic.

The TroutBum
05-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Loose translation: "Nobody on this team is as good as me. Our point guards suck, and can't guard shit, so I have to. I am God. I am The Chosen One."

How do people honestly cheer for this guy? If you're on his team, how can you STAND playing with him?

bostonguy
05-10-2010, 04:37 PM
It doesn't matter how you spin this. Paul Pierce needs to get going. If he doesn't, Celts have NO CHANCE of even winning another game in this series despite how Rondo does.

The Gemini Method
05-10-2010, 04:39 PM
It doesn't matter how you spin this. Paul Pierce needs to get going. If he doesn't, Celts have NO CHANCE of even winning another game in this series despite how Rondo does.

Uh, they've done pretty good considering he hasn't done anything for the majority of the series. If the Cavs can't stop Rondo--it may be the other way around.

mogrovejo
05-10-2010, 04:44 PM

Well, at least they've already avoided the swept you were predicting.

mogrovejo
05-10-2010, 04:44 PM
I have no problems with LeBron guarding Rondo. I suspect that will be short-lived.

What worries me is Moon guarding Rondo, LeBron on Pierce and West checking Ray Allen.

bostonguy
05-10-2010, 04:53 PM
I have no problems with LeBron guarding Rondo. I suspect that will be short-lived.

What worries me is Moon guarding Rondo, LeBron on Pierce and West checking Ray Allen.

You think Moon would do a better job on Rondo then Lebron would?

mogrovejo
05-10-2010, 04:57 PM
You think Moon would do a better job on Rondo then Lebron would?

Just slightly worse. The problem is that Pierce can eat Moon or Parker alive.

duncan228
05-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Cavaliers may put LeBron on Rondo (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-celtics-cavaliers)
By Tom Withers

Unable to corral Rajon Rondo so far in the NBA playoffs, the Cleveland Cavaliers may resort to Plan LeB.

LeBron James, it’s your turn.

With Rondo coming off an historic 29-point, 18-rebound, 13-assist performance in Game 4, Cavaliers coach Mike Brown said Monday he plans to use an assortment of players to try to slow the seemingly unstoppable Celtics point guard and one of them could be James, the league’s two-time MVP and a first-team all-defense selection.

“We’re going to give ‘Bron an opportunity,” Brown said.

Rondo’s not scared.

“I don’t really care who’s guarding me,” he said.

Keep Reading... (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-celtics-cavaliers)

lakaluva's mom
05-10-2010, 06:56 PM

Just like Kobe's trying to be MJ? :lol

KidCongo
05-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Cavs fans had the nerve to blame "matchup problems" for their loss while Lebron was picking up Skip-to-my-Lou fullcourt. :lol

That was about LeBron being able to play more help defense as no-one could guard Dwight.

KidCongo
05-10-2010, 07:04 PM

This is what I want to see. Moon can switch onto any of the others and so can Delonte (except Pierce could then post him up).