PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker was the worst of the Big 3. Should he be traded?

Cane
05-10-2010, 11:53 AM
All of the Big 3 declined.

But none as much as Tony Parker. He went from being a top 3 PG and in the top 10 PER to not even making it the top 50 PER this year for the regular season. Tim Duncan finished 5th overall and Ginobili finished 12th in the regular season. For the playoffs, Tim Duncan was 25th and Ginobili, 15th. Parker finished at no. 43. Parker was 2nd last year in playoffs PER and Duncan was 4th in that short series against the Mavs.

Yes, he's had injuries but its not like Duncan isn't dealing with a degenerative knee condition or that Manu's nose wasn't broken. But Parker also had the most difficulty of the big 3 trying to incorporate the new players and unlike Manu...he's likely going to play for France to make things worse for this injury plagued core. Manu has shown the capability of running the team with Parker out and the best wins of the regular season came when Parker was sidelined.

Reasons for trading Parker:

1. Most valuable trading asset the Spurs have outside of RJ and Tiago's rights

2. Parker's not a leader even though he's the PG. Spurs have won against the top teams without him and Manu has really taken the role of being a vocal leader and helping guys like Blair fit into the Spurs.

3. Parker will likely play for France this summer while Manu rests. Next year is going to be one of the best shots the Spurs have with a rested Manu and Tim. Parker is far from healthy and far from what he used to be athletically yet he's going to get even more wear and tear.

4. Declined mightily. Didn't even finish the regular season as a top 50 player in PER which he used to finish in the top 10. Manu still finished 11th in his injury shortened season last year. Doesn't have the intangibles that Manu and Duncan have either to make up for the lack of boxscore stats.

EDIT:

5. This will be the biggest offseason in recent NBA history. Teams are going to be losing their star players and needing to revamp their rosters so there will likely be opportunities to gamble on.

Of course there has to be a deal worth a damn.

Bruno
05-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Half hater, half clueless. :rollin

Spurologist
05-10-2010, 11:56 AM
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/DaGonz/jeez.jpg

Kori Ellis
05-10-2010, 11:58 AM
:lol

Did Parker tell you he's playing for France this summer?

And I guess you don't really get how injured Parker was this year.

Cane
05-10-2010, 12:00 PM
The number don't lie, he's fallen off dramatically and easily the worst of the Spurs big 3.

If he plays for France this summer that only makes trading a better option if the Spurs want to utilize the short window that Manu and Tim have left. Parker's said he'd like to play and he's going to show up for training camp in a month or two from that recent interview posted.

Muser
05-10-2010, 12:00 PM
N
o

Snik
05-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Worst of the big three? He was the finals MVP the last time we won it all. He's the only piece of the big three that has some really good years left in him. If he will quit playing all year round like he has been, he'll be very very good for quite a few years to come.

Muser
But let's explore this, who the hell do you think the Spurs could get for Tony that could put them back into title contention?

Kori Ellis
The number don't lie, he's fallen off dramatically and easily the worst of the Spurs big 3.

If he plays for France this summer that only makes trading a better option if the Spurs want to utilize the short window that Manu and Tim have left. Parker's said he'd like to play and he's going to show up for training camp in a month or two from that recent interview posted.

Oh he definitely fell off the most. But he was also injured for about 90% of the season.

Did you want to trade Manu last summer because he was injured too?

AmatureNIGHT
05-10-2010, 12:05 PM
All of the Big 3 declined.

But none as much as Tony Parker. He went from being a top 3 PG and in the top 10 PER to not even making it the top 50 PER this year for the regular season. Tim Duncan finished 5th overall and Ginobili finished 12th in the regular season. For the playoffs, Tim Duncan was 25th and Ginobili, 15th. Parker finished at no. 43. Parker was 2nd last year in playoffs PER and Duncan was 4th in that short series against the Mavs.

Yes, he's had injuries but its not like Duncan isn't dealing with a degenerative knee condition or that Manu's nose wasn't broken. But Parker also had the most difficulty of the big 3 trying to incorporate the new players and unlike Manu...he's likely going to play for France to make things worse for this injury plagued core. Manu has shown the capability of running the team with Parker out and the best wins of the regular season came when Parker was sidelined.

Reasons for trading Parker:

1. Most valuable trading asset the Spurs have outside of RJ and Tiago's rights

2. Parker's not a leader even though he's the PG. Spurs have won against the top teams without him and Manu has really taken the role of being a vocal leader and helping guys like Blair fit into the Spurs.

3. Parker will likely play for France this summer while Manu rests. Next year is going to be one of the best shots the Spurs have with a rested Manu and Tim. Parker is far from healthy and far from what he used to be athletically yet he's going to get even more wear and tear.

4. Declined mightily. Didn't even finish the regular season as a top 50 player in PER which he used to finish in the top 10. Manu still finished 11th in his injury shortened season last year. Doesn't have the intangibles that Manu and Duncan have either to make up for the lack of boxscore stats.

Of course there has to be a deal worth a damn.

Tony was the only player who showed any heart for you guys in game 7. Trying to make plays and go to the rim relentlessly to will your team to victory. Meanwhile, Duncan was a shell of his former self (being held in check by Amudson and Channing effing Frye) and Emanuel once again proved ineffective to be the play maker he once was... and get to the rim.

You've got to be kidding me... he is the only one with anything left in his tank out of the long gone "BIG 3".

Cane
05-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Oh he definitely fell off the most. But he was also injured for about 90% of the season.

Did you want to trade Manu last summer because he was injured too?

I don't remember; did Manu play for Argentina last summer? If Parker wants to be on good terms with the FO then he won't play for France this summer especially with the season and injuries he's unfortunately had.

In any case, Manu is basically a Spur until his contract ends given his extension. He was the Spur that really saved the 2nd half of the season and was the catalyst that the Spurs even made it to the playoffs.

silverblk mystix
05-10-2010, 12:06 PM
I think you got it all backwards.

Parker has the MOST mileage of the big 3 left in the tank.

Keep the big 3 intact---minimize TD & Manu's minutes---develop a deep bench.

Cane
05-10-2010, 12:09 PM
He's also the least likely Spur to finish his career here and has the best contract of the Big 3 to move.

kace
05-10-2010, 12:09 PM
he was as good as the others 2 members of the big 3 when it counted the most: in the PO.

considering the season he had with all his injuries, the last one only allowing him to come back just before the PO, that tells a lot about his level.

Cane
05-10-2010, 12:13 PM
he was as good as the others 2 members of the big 3 when it counted the most: in the PO.

considering the season he had with all his injuries, the last one only allowing him to come back just before the PO, that tells a lot about his level.

From a PER standpoint, Tony Parker was the worst of the Big 3 in the playoffs and regular season. He finished at no. 43 whereas Duncan finished at no.25 and Manu at the 15th spot in the playoffs. Manu and Tim finished in the top 12 in the regular season; Parker didn't even make the top 50.

sa_butta
05-10-2010, 12:15 PM
I think you got it all backwards.

Parker has the MOST mileage of the big 3 left in the tank.

Keep the big 3 intact---minimize TD & Manu's minutes---develop a deep bench.
I agree and while I did see a decline on his points in the paint from last year he was slowed down due to injury... But at the same time I think he has really come along with his shot and he is still one of the quickest on the team. Duncan and Ginobili have lost alot more steam than Parker.

Dex
05-10-2010, 12:18 PM
http://www.joewrite.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/haters-gonna-hate.gif

beachwood
05-10-2010, 12:19 PM
I hope TP makes up his mind very soon about playing this summer. If he does, it's a pretty much forgone conclusion he won't perform any better than this year. His drop off this year was pretty astounding. He's definitely not a top 5 PG anymore. But he's still good.

I think people speculating on a TP trade, for the most part, aren't suggesting that TP sucks. But that the FO will look for options to use TP to return pieces that make the team better. What if the Spurs could get two or three good pieces in return for one Tony Parker? It's going to be an interesting summer.

And what if the only way to get rid of RJ is to package someone like TP along with him, does the FO pull the trigger on that if it would return significant players?

RiverwalkParade
05-10-2010, 12:20 PM
But let's explore this, who the hell do you think the Spurs could get for Tony that could put them back into title contention?

This is the big question.

Who are the buyers on this market? If we are going to trade TP, I think he is packaged with RJ and goes to a team that just lost a big name free agent i.e. Cleveland, Miami, Toronto, Atlanta...

Why those teams? That way they can clear cap space for next years FA market and be heavy hitters while the other big boys spend their money this year.

kace
05-10-2010, 12:22 PM
From a PER standpoint, Tony Parker was the worst of the Big 3 in the playoffs and regular season. He finished at no. 43 whereas Duncan finished at no.25 and Manu at the 15th spot in the playoffs. Manu and Tim finished in the top 12 in the regular season; Parker didn't even make the top 50.

i saw the games. PER has always been tim's and manu's game friendly. not really for TP's game, even in his best year.
I didn't expect Tony to be at this level. like many of us i guess. You can't tell there was a big difference in the big 3 production. None of them sucked, none of them dominated.

Tim isn't anymore the inside force he was. He's still one of the very best bigs but not as dominant.

Manu wasn't able to dominate like he did in the last part of the RS and like a lot of you in ST expected. Supermanu wasn't here.

I would say that they were almost equal, and from what was expected from them considering their season (health, injuries, rythm.....), tony was a rather good surprise in those PO whereas Tim and Manu kind of disapointed.

There's no way you can imagine that tony won't be as good if not the best of the big 3 next year, if all of them are healthy.

now, i would understand if the FO tried a different road and trade TP, even if i don't think that would be the smartest choice, even in rebuilding mode.

Kermit
05-10-2010, 12:24 PM
:lmao

I hope Tony plays this summer, if only to see the massive explosion of heads.

smeagol
05-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Lets trade Parker and Manu and get it over with . . .

Cane
05-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Yea its really up to Parker and playing for France this summer. I just can't see how getting even more miles in his condition will help the Spurs especially since Manu will be resting. Parker wasn't even a top 40 player in PER for the playoffs and didn't make it to the top 50 PER in the regular season which is just staggering for a guy like Parker; Parker's best asset was his offensive efficiency since thats what made the Spurs work since 2007.

However it might be hard to ignore Manu's impact while Parker was sidelined since that stretch was the Spurs most impressive and saved the season in terms of making the playoffs. And in this world of Kwame Brown for Pau Gasol trades; all teams are probably pretty active in talks.

Kori Ellis
05-10-2010, 12:28 PM
So, you should wait a week or two until Parker announces he's not playing for France before you trade him for scraps.

Truckules
05-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Lets trade Parker and Manu and get it over with . . .

Fuck it, let's just trade the whole team. The Spurs' entire roster for Phoenix' entire roster. I think that would make some of these posters happy.

Mal
05-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Spurs need big to help Duncan (Splitter is OK)

Young athletic wing with 3 point range from draft. Robinson, George (dont know about their 3 point range)

Some veteran with 3 point range and decent D. Raja Bell anyone ?

Pop to trust youngs in regular. Blair, Hill, Temle, 2 draft picks, Splitter need to see plenty of minutes to improve their game, and rest Duncan, Gino as long as it possible.

Cane
05-10-2010, 12:35 PM
So, you should wait a week or two until Parker announces he's not playing for France before you trade him for scraps.

It might be a non-issue but Parker's indecisiveness just isn't good for a Spurs fan. Why dangle this issue when he's had the sharpest dropoff of any of the Spurs big 3 especially when it comes to PER. Considering his health, decline in athleticism, and letting the team down with his performance...should be an easy enough decision if he wants to be on good terms with the Spurs and to chase another :lobt2:

TheChillFactor
05-10-2010, 12:38 PM
He's also the least likely Spur to finish his career here and has the best contract of the Big 3 to move.

trade him because he's the most likely to leave....hmmmm.....does not compute....

Kori Ellis
05-10-2010, 12:39 PM
It might be a non-issue but Parker's indecisiveness just isn't good for a Spurs fan. Why dangle this issue when he's had the sharpest dropoff of any of the Spurs big 3 especially when it comes to PER. Considering his health, decline in athleticism, and letting the team down with his performance...should be an easy enough decision if he wants to be on good terms with the Spurs and to chase another :lobt2:

I believe he said he's meeting with the team (Spurs) about it next week, talking about extension, etc. So, should we give him a call and tell him Cane doesn't think that's soon enough?

Parker was injured all year. You can't really keep comparing his PER numbers to Manu/Tim to try to prove something.

And just FYI, PER isn't the end all. If it is, then Nazr Mohammed is better than Rajon Rondo, among other things.

ElNono
05-10-2010, 12:43 PM
I think looking what you could fetch for him is the sensible thing to do. I'm sure they did the same with Manu before the last trade deadline. That said, I don't think you'll get equal value in return. I really think the Spurs will only entertain offers if they figure they can't offer an extension to retain him past next season.

Cane
05-10-2010, 12:47 PM
I believe he said he's meeting with the team (Spurs) about it next week, talking about extension, etc. So, should we give him a call and tell him Cane doesn't think that's soon enough?

Parker was injured all year. You can't really keep comparing his PER numbers to Manu/Tim to try to prove something.

And just FYI, PER isn't the end all. If it is, then Nazr Mohammed is better than Rajon Rondo, among other things.

PER's pretty spot on, most of the all-NBA guys and historic greats have had their greatness reflected in this stat which basically combines a players' boxscore contributions. Its also an easy way to demonstrated just how huge of a decline that Tony Parker had since he's been very efficient in the past but now isn't even a top 40/50 player in that area.

And while Parker was injured all year its still worth noting that the best stretch the Spurs had were when Parker was sidelined and Manu ran the point. This, especially if Parker continues to play for France, says that he's expendable if there's a right deal available.

sonic21
05-10-2010, 12:48 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/54/long_facepalm.gif

Kori Ellis
05-10-2010, 12:49 PM
PER's pretty spot on, most of the all-NBA guys and historic greats have had their greatness reflected in this stat which basically combines a players' boxscore contributions. Its also an easy way to demonstrated just how huge of a decline that Tony Parker had since he's been very efficient in the past but now isn't even a top 40/50 player in that area.

And while Parker was injured all year its still worth noting that the best stretch the Spurs had were when Parker was sidelined and Manu ran the point. This, especially if Parker continues to play for France, says that he's expendable if there's a right deal available.

Do you just keep copying and pasting this? You've repeating it several times now.

Truckules
05-10-2010, 12:50 PM
In the playoffs, Tony averaged 17.3 ppg and 5.4apg. His assist to turnover ratio for the playoffs was 2.5. If you think there is a better player on a team who is willing to trade him, then go ahead and trade. The problem is that there are very few guards that are better than Tony, and none of them are on a team that would trade them.

benefactor
05-10-2010, 12:51 PM
rofl PER.

ducks
05-10-2010, 12:53 PM
manu ran the point mostly when hill was in
so I am not sure why people think hill will replace tp as point guard

z0sa
05-10-2010, 12:55 PM
The problem is, we trade Parker and we lose some offensive explosion and our goto player. Neither Tim nor Manu can be the #1 option all season if we want to play for a title. Who can we trade Parker for that will shoulder the burden while also improving us in other areas? 1on1 swap won't cut it. We'll need a trade steal.

However, I don't think Holt or the FO has any intention of trading Parker out. RJ is the one who's on his way out. And good riddance. Dude is one of the all-time epic failures in Spur history.

Cane
05-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Yea there's a lot of "ifs" like if Parker doesn't play for France and whether or not a deal can be made thats worth a damn. However Tony Parker's trading chip is pretty valuable and this summer is going to be the biggest offseason the NBA has seen in years so there will likely be opportunities to cash-in on. Lots of teams are going to lose their star players and need to revamp their rosters.

Do you just keep copying and pasting this? You've repeating it several times now.

You've also been repeating that Parker's been injured and whether or not he's personally contacting me about his plans for France; even though that was addressed in the OP and addressed in my replies of your replies :toast

His numbers are ugly and so is the Spurs situation but it is what it is. After the infamous Pau Gasol trade and given how the Spurs are a team in transition plus Parker's decline while the Spurs were on the rise....lots of stuff to think and talk about in this long offseason.

BigVee
05-10-2010, 01:00 PM
The only reason in my mind to even think about trading Parker is if you believe you can get better because you can get what you need in exchange for him, not because of how he played this year. Come on, he was hurt virtually the entire year...not fair to judge him. I say give him an injury free year with an injury free Manu year and see how everything fits. You just don't cut loose a player of his abililty unless someone comes in with an offer that really upgrades the team...unlikely in my opinion.

NFGIII
05-10-2010, 01:04 PM
There needs to be a waiting period for posting "trade (inset name)" just after getting bounced from the POs. People need to just chill and reflect on the season. The probability of beating LA in the WCF was small so the WCF was the best this team could have probably done. Though this season was one of the most frustrating ones in many years the Spurs do have some good pieces in place.

Trading TP isn't the answer. And though many think he may represent the best trade assest the Spurs have to offer other teams the Spurs have to get a top fight pg in return or they would be taking a step backwards.

Yeah, I could see TD signing off on a trade to move TP and leaving a gapping hole at pg. And Hill ain't ready to step in that role and I don't believe he ever will. That isn't the position the Spurs are grooming him for - it's sg and sixth man role type of contribution.

Draft picks wont work, either. The Spurs are in a "the future is now" MO. And why would other teams swap top flight PGs? The possibililty of that happening is remote IMHO. So by trading TP the Spurs most likely would be getting either draft picks orscraps in return as Kori already stated.

If you trade TP and don't get a top pg in return then you might as well blow the team up. Trade all your older assets and let the youngsters take over the team.

Pop would then retire and Fabbs would now know his life is complete.

mogrovejo
05-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Yes, I think it's the Spurs best chance of improving their team. People were defending this before the playoffs even started, so not all of them are being reactionary.

Either that or moving Jefferson expiring + pick + Splitter/Blair... but what is that going to land them?

Man In Black
05-10-2010, 01:07 PM
If you trade him who do you want back CANE? I'm a huge stat guy and even I can tell you that it has to be an overall picture where multiple stats are needed not just PER or tendex or Points Created or whatever. It has to be a list of things. I can tell you from a per minute standpoint that he played as well as anybody in the playoffs and most certainly was top 4 practically every game for San Antonio.

So again, for who?

Brazil
05-10-2010, 01:08 PM
His numbers are ugly and so is the Spurs situation but it is what it is. After the infamous Pau Gasol trade and given how the Spurs are a team in transition plus Parker's decline while the Spurs were on the rise....lots of stuff to think and talk about in this long offseason.

His numbers are ugly ? wtf ? what parker's decline ?

Considering the fact that Parker went in the POs after a broken hand injury and he played coming off the bench and Manu became the go to go guy of the team, I don't see parker's decline at all. TP was our most reliable player: in 10 games he had two bad games, game 4 against dallas and game 3 against the suns because of his shoulder. Globally he played as well as we can expected.

During the RS Parker struggled due to injuries but his ppg declined also because he had to give some space to G Hill and RJ, I didn't check but I'm quite sure his FGAs are below last year.

sonic21
05-10-2010, 01:14 PM
^^

BS, only PER matters!!

Cane
05-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Yea I'm also on the optimistic side when it comes to getting a decent trade in return since the NBA is going to be changing incredibly in the summer. It'll be interesting to see how many star players leave their teams which will put their franchises in revamp mode. Based on that it seems like chances are good that there will be opportunities to cash-in on.

Also, it might be worth noting that both Dallas and Houston will probably get another star player in this upcoming arms race. San Antonio is going to have a lot to deal with when it comes to the other playoffs contenders like the Jazz who swept the Spurs this regular season, PHX who basically swept the Spurs for both the reg season and playoffs, Portland whose been a playoffs contender even without Oden, and just having a poor record in general against their Western playoffs peers.

Cane
05-10-2010, 01:17 PM
^^

BS, only PER matters!!

PER is a great stat and more right that not. Parker used to be incredibly efficient but due to injury and never getting into rhythm he's fallen off the wayside. Even if you ignore PER you can see that Parker struggled throughout the entire season and playoffs more than any other member of the Big 3 and its still worth mentioning again that the Spurs were on the rise and winning against the top teams in the league when Parker was on the sidelines. There's no arguing that Parker was the worst of the big 3 this season and declined the most imo.

z0sa
05-10-2010, 01:18 PM
The reality is, any kind of major trade might still not be enough. We've gotten to that point where we can't say we'll trade one of the Big 3 and the other 2 will pick up the slack undoubtedly. Just this season we saw a multiple title winning coach and team unable to incorporate a still very talented player in RJ well, and overall underachieve.

lefty
05-10-2010, 01:20 PM
VOus etes tous des Parker hayteurs, bordel de merde

sonic21
05-10-2010, 01:22 PM
PER is a great stat and more right that not. Parker used to be incredibly efficient but due to injury and never getting into rhythm he's fallen off the wayside. Even if you ignore PER you can see that Parker struggled throughout the entire season and playoffs more than any other member of the Big 3 and its still worth mentioning again that the Spurs were on the rise and winning against the top teams in the league when Parker was on the sidelines. There's no arguing that Parker was the worst of the big 3 this season and declined the most imo.

So, you think they would have won against the mavs without parker?

boutons_deux
05-10-2010, 01:23 PM
"And I guess you don't really get how injured Parker was this year."

and with Manu and Tim both hurting last season, Tony's number were way up as the tried to carry the team, and did a wonderful job.

Mr Bones
05-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Yes, I think it's the Spurs best chance of improving their team. People were defending this before the playoffs even started, so not all of them are being reactionary.

Either that or moving Jefferson expiring + pick + Splitter/Blair... but what is that going to land them?

I agree. People get so frenzied about any trade discussion and right away start yelling "hater!" It's really just looking at the payroll numbers while realizing something has to change or the last two years of Duncan's contract will be spent getting into the playoffs with a 7 or 8 seed and not truly contending for a championship.

timvp
05-10-2010, 01:29 PM
This is going to be a long, long offseason :pctoss

Parker led the Spurs in plus/minus in the playoffs. That's pretty damn impressive considering he came off the bench 80% of the time.

But whatever. Spurs fans have been trying to trade him since right after he was drafted. Nothing has changed.

roycrikside
05-10-2010, 01:29 PM

I'm not agreeing with the OP about trading Parker, but clearly, you either cannot read or choose to delude yourself from reality. The point he made, quite clearly, was that TP DID NOT play as well as the other two in the playoffs.

Manu was 12th in PER in the reg season and 15th in the playoffs.
Duncan was 5th in the regular season and 25th in the playoffs.
Tony was 89th in the regular season and 43rd in the playoffs.

Yeah, you could give him credit for improving upon his regular season and actually playing better in the playoffs, but he almost had to by default because he was awful in the regular season, by his standards (albeit, with a lot of injuries).

Parker remains what he's always been, a player whose value on any given night is almost 100% dependent on his scoring. He cannot influence a game, in the positive sense in any other way, whether it be passing, rebounding, defense or hustle plays.

Duncan, even when the ball isn't dropping, can still rebound, can protect the rim (on most nights), and can pass out of double teams as the hub of the offense. Manu can pass, get a clutch board, draw a charge or get a big steal (he leads all players in steals in the playoffs).

Unless Tony is scoring over 20 ppg, and at an efficient clip, he's not helping us, and too often in the playoffs, he didn't.

Cane
05-10-2010, 01:33 PM
The reality is, any kind of major trade might still not be enough. We've gotten to that point where we can't say we'll trade one of the Big 3 and the other 2 will pick up the slack undoubtedly. Just this season we saw a multiple title winning coach and team unable to incorporate a still very talented player in RJ well, and overall underachieve.

Yea unfortunately this team is very much in transition. The rest of the West is only going to get stronger too especially if everyone's healthy.

So, you think they would have won against the mavs without parker?

Nope but he was coming off the bench. I was mainly referring to the regular season when the Spurs were winning against the other contenders with Parker sidelined.

I agree. People get so frenzied about any trade discussion and right away start yelling "hater!" It's really just looking at the payroll numbers while realizing something has to change or the last two years of Duncan's contract will be spent getting into the playoffs with a 7 or 8 seed and not truly contending for a championship.

Agreed. Those that yell "hater" also contributed little to the discussion.

People forget that Duncan took a paycut so this team can remain competitive. If Parker chooses to play for France this summer that just doesn't look good given that Manu is going to rest and that the Spurs need all the health they can get since next year is likely their last best shot at making some noise. And to be a broken record; the Spurs actually played pretty well without TP and Tony Parker's contract is the most valuable asset the Spurs have next to RJ's expiring deal and Tiago's rights.

This summer is going to be an offseason for the ages...the Spurs will have opportunities given all the roster changes thats going to happen across the league.

mogrovejo
05-10-2010, 01:34 PM
It's irrelevant how good or bad Parker was last season. That's not a reason to trade him.

Brazil
05-10-2010, 01:47 PM

:lol this is just the beginning.

I'm waiting for the parker for biedrins and calderon thread bump

sabar
05-10-2010, 01:53 PM
A hurt TP almost shot 50% and managed 16 PPG despite 5 fewer FGA and getting 4 less MPG. He also still got 6 APM. Non-injured TP had a PER of 20-23.

This thread is a complete failure. There is no one that you can trade for and not lose something important to the team. He is one of the few players in the league that actually earns his contract.

If you traded a player because of an injury year then Manu wouldn't even be on the team right now with your logic. 2008 Manu had a crappy PER of 17 in the playoffs.

JonNOKC
05-10-2010, 01:59 PM
can't see it happening - the only reason I would consider it is will he re-sign with Spurs - rumors are that he wants to play in LA (not sure if any truth to it, obviously could make sense as far as Eva and bigger market, etc) - Maybe Spurs could try to get extension hashed out early in off season (at least basic framework) so we know Parker is committed - if he wants to play somewhere other than SA or the FO doesn't see him as part of future then NOW is the time to move him - again dont see it happening but if the above circumstances are true then get something back for him - maybe even could move him to one of LA teams although not sure if you could get back enough value

lefty
05-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Trade Parker !!!!!!!!

Brazil
05-10-2010, 02:11 PM
A hurt TP almost shot 50% and managed 16 PPG despite 5 fewer FGA and getting 4 less MPG. He also still got 6 APM. Non-injured TP had a PER of 20-23.

This thread is a complete failure. There is no one that you can trade for and not lose something important to the team. He is one of the few players in the league that actually earns his contract.

If you traded a player because of an injury year then Manu wouldn't even be on the team right now with your logic. 2008 Manu had a crappy PER of 17 in the playoffs.

Thanks Sabar, I was looking for the FGA line so if we apply the same FG % to this 5 FGA we all can see a proof of the decline theory BS.

it's me
05-10-2010, 02:11 PM
our problem isn't the big 3...... it's all the scrubs pop has managed to put on the floor with them..... we lost to the sun's bench. IMO

Brazil
05-10-2010, 02:13 PM
our problem isn't the big 3...... it's all the scrubs pop has managed to put on the floor with them..... we lost against the sun's bench.

well to be fair during long stretches of this serie suns bench > spurs starters

it's me
05-10-2010, 02:17 PM
well to be fair during long stretches of this serie suns bench > spurs starters

True but come on … you had a whole roster focusing on just three guys…. and ½ (Dick and Hill)…if you will…… our bench plain sucks.

lefty
05-10-2010, 02:20 PM
our problem isn't the big 3...... it's all the scrubs pop has managed to put on the floor with them..... we lost to the sun's bench. IMO
Why did Pop play Bonner?

If he didn't play hin in the 1st 2 games, we wouldnt have been winless after 3 games.

In game 2, that we lost by 8 pts, Bonner was on the court during a 9-0 Suns run (at the end of the 3rd, we had the lead before he came in)

Fuck you Pop :flipoff

TJastal
05-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Why did Pop play Bonner?

If he didn't play hin in the 1st 2 games, we wouldnt have been winless after 3 games.

In game 2, that we lost by 8 pts, Bonner was on the court during a 9-0 Suns run (at the end of the 3rd, we had the lead before he came in)

I think Bonner should be signed for half his current salary and only play spurs' home games. LOL.

lefty
05-10-2010, 02:38 PM
I think Bonner should be signed for half his current salary and only play spurs' home games. LOL.
He was on fire yesterday :lol

Bukefal
05-10-2010, 02:40 PM

Parker led the Spurs in plus/minus in the playoffs. That's pretty damn impressive considering he came off the bench 80% of the time.

But whatever. Spurs fans have been trying to trade him since right after he was drafted. Nothing has changed

yup, very long and so true :sleep

Cane
05-10-2010, 02:47 PM

Tony Parker's injury forced the Spurs to move their best bench player, Ginobili, to the starting lineup. Parker just couldn't deliver the same impact and was woefully inefficient due to injuries and other reasons.

And in a thread started by duncan228 here are some lofty trade ideas that probably have a slim chance of becoming reality; but goes to show ya how valuable Parker's contract is and how the Spurs are in a state of transition:

OPPORTUNITIES

Here’s where Spurs General Manager RC Buford earns his paycheck, because he’s already $10 million over the cap for next season and only has seven players guaranteed for next season. His team is horrendously old and got out-worked by the Phoenix Suns (kudos to the Suns for pulling off one of the biggest surprises of the season, but it’s still the Suns!). With that said, I have a couple of ideas that could change the outlook of the franchise. Some insane, but could potentially happen:

1. Do a Sign-and-Trade deal with Tony Parker to Atlanta for Joe Johnson – Parker’s six-year/$66 million contract is up after the ‘10-11 season and with a league lacking in available free agent point guards, Parker would be a quality catch. This becomes more realistic with the emergence of George Hill this season. Joe Johnson could be a great long term fit in San Antonio, and with his career careening into the abyss in Atlanta his value could be lessened just a bit. Playing in San Antonio would have him playing for a contender, something Atlanta’s proven they’re not ready to be at all. Giving up Parker would seem insane, but for as good as Parker is, he has flaws as well. Move him and see if you can upgrade. Atlanta’s been in serious need for a PG for years now, as the basketball gods are making them pay for passing on CP3 and Deron years ago. Parker would be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade.

2. Do a Sign-and-Trade deal with Tony Parker to Toronto for Chris Bosh – Similar premise as Joe Johnson, the difference would be more relatable to when David Robinson’s career was tapering off and Duncan was able to be a lead dog, 10 years ago. Bosh is a born and raised Texan (Lincoln HS, stand up) and San Antonio might not be a bad look for him. I think San Antonio’s biggest flaw was that Timmy can’t do it by himself anymore and that there is no real frontline depth behind him. Toronto would love to upgrade at PG after the failed experiment, known as Jose Calderon. Plus, it’s the most international team in the League; TP might enjoy himself in the T-Dot.

3. Sign A Deal with the Devil to get the No. 1 Pick – Even the devil might not sign that deal. Doesn’t hurt to at least call New Jersey and inquire about the inevitable No. 1 pick for John Wall right?

CONCLUSION

You’re going to see one of two things happen with the Spurs this off-season. Either San Antonio will be steadfast with their team and make minor tweaks to their engine, (finding better glue guys, drafting wisely, importing some of their foreign talent) or they’re going to make a drastic change in their personnel. Bringing in Bosh in a sign-and-trade to Toronto would change the entire game in the Alamo and would scare the living daylights out of any team preparing to face them in ‘10-11.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2010/05/fix-a-team-the-san-antonio-spurs/

Brazil
05-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Why did Pop play Bonner?

but but he spread the floor !

WalterBenitez
05-10-2010, 03:14 PM
You don't trade a player like our French unless you get something valuable, I will not trade him unless CP3 or Nash ... (did I say that?).

TP + RJ or Manu + RJ for sth interesting is a good trade scenario we should consider, having Tiago + Hill + Blair + TD (declining) + Manu or TP + decent bench will give us some chance to dream again.

spurtech09
05-10-2010, 03:15 PM
no.....he was hurt mostly all season and got hurt again in the play-offs......should take some summer off

SpurOutofTownFan
05-10-2010, 03:19 PM
trade manu.. ooopss