PDA

View Full Version : This Offseason

EMS33
05-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Here is what I think should happen this off-season combined with what is most likely to happen. Also a little player evaluation.

1. We need bring Tiago Splitter over. That has to be the number one priority. Buford has expressed this to be a priority, lets see if he can get it done. I think everyone's bashing of Duncan is not fair. I think he can still be very productive but he can't get ALL the rebounds by himself and can't play defense around the basket ALL by himself. He has gotten a little older but through out his career he has had someone that can help him around the basket. Robinson/Horry/Oberto mainly. Hell even mohammed, KT, Rasho, Elson. We need another true big man to play along Duncan and relieve him of some of the heavy lifting.

- Let's look at our big men now. TD/Dice/blair/bonner/maihmi
- If Splitter comes over then we should have a solid rotation and should be set. TD/Splitter Dice/Blair and I think we should keep bonner (as much as everyone bashes him, he started to play well before he broke his hand, he spreads the floor, and he knows the system) I do not think he should be in the playoff rotation but he should get minutes during the season. As for Ian, I just do not see him getting a chance if Splitter comes over.
- If we do not get splitter we need to find a way to pick up a FA that is BIG and can rebound and play D. Haywood maybe. Another big body on this team is a MUST if this does not happen then waive next season good bye. Think about it. Even if we got past the suns the Lakers front line would have dominated us. If they had Artest, odom, bynum, and gasol in the game at the same time? we was going to guard them? we have one 7ft player in duncan and dice MIGHT have been able to guard one.

2. We need to draft a athletic SF and pick up at least one wing player in the FA. This is the second most important thing for the offseason. The SF position in the spurs system doesn't NEED to be a scorer. Someone who can play D and shoot the three is all we need. NONE of our SF's could do that this year. We only had one valuable SF on our roster this year in Jefferson and that is stretching it. In the past we had Bowen/Finely (he could at least drain the three)/Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_/sjax and others. I think Jefferson will be on the team next year mainly because we do not have a choice, but this is not necessarily a bad thing. Unless Jefferson opts out (who would walk away from 15 mil?) or we find a way to trade him (highly unlikely) he is going to be on this team next year. BUT it is true that players do way better their second year in the spurs system. I think that Jefferson showed flashes and can be a valuable player next year. He needs to play with Manu and be able to run the floor. I think he figured out how he could help the team by rebounding at the end of the year. Next year I think they will have a better idea of how to use him. I think he should play in this lineup. Manu/Hill/Jefferson/Blair/Splitter. This lineup is young and athletic and will run the floor. I do not think he plays well with Duncan because he just has to stand and watch, he is a player that has to be moving and cutting.

- We need to draft a SF that is big and can play bigger players, also that plays D and hustles. If he can hit the three that is a plus. (Note that the three is a HUGE part of the spurs offense and it was no where to be seen in the playoffs and not good during the season) Spreading the floor and playing through duncan does not work if we can't hit three's. Damion James of Texas is an underrated player, he averaged a double double most of college is 6'8 and very aggressive. He is not a great offense player and does not have a great shot but that is ok, he works very hard. Look at Hill he could not shoot at all when came to the spurs and he was one of our best three point shooters this season. Chip can work his magic. If not James there are a number of good SF type NBA players in the draft. SF should be a top draft pick considering their are not many good C/PF in this draft and with our position can not get a top one. I trust our scouts they never let us down.

- Lets look at the rotation for next year. Malik Hairston should get his chance, it is time. He does not have to play big minuets or anything but atleast give him some during the season and see what he as got. He was one of the best players in D-league this year, and when he played on the spurs he showed hustle, solid D, and mainly ATHLETICISM. He also showed he knows the system. He needs to play and if he is a bust then so be it, it is better then using Bogans and roger mason.
- We need to pick up a solid wing in this years FA and that should be our only pick up. Let bogans and Roger Mason walk (they are worthless) I doubt other teams will hardly look at them. Also if this means we have to let bonner walk then so be it. Lets look at someone like Raja Bell or Matt Barnes. Not high profile, just some one that has proven D and hits the three. The rotation should look like this Jefferson/FA pick up/Hairston/Rookie in draft.

3. Let's be realistic. The Spurs are not going to move Tony Parker this summer. It is an option if he plays horrible next season that we might consider a trade during the season. I do not see this happening. Parker had an All-Star season 08-09 and I think he will retain that form. I do not think he is going to play in France this summer and he will come back fresh. He has said that he is going to work hard and come out with something to prove next season, he wants to be a spur long term and the same thing happened with Manu this last season. He was hurt, didnt play for his national team, rested, and came back and played his way into a contract. Tony will do the same. Tony never got into a grove with the team. When the team started to gel he was hurt and that is why Manu become the starter and centerpiece. Parker played well but never really found his way in the lineups. There is alot of trade talk about parker for joe johnson or bosh and I just do not see the spurs making a move like that. As you saw this year, when they add new major piece's it takes a while for this team to gel. I think they need get the glue pieces and strengthen their bench. Our bench was no where in the playoffs. Against the suns we essentially had five players contributing Parker/Hill/Manu/Dice/Duncan. Blair tried he is just a rookie, Jefferson did nothing, Bonner had a flash and the rest is history.

- Our guard rotation is fine next year. Parker/Hill/Manu with our FA pick up getting some minutes at SG/SF, also we can try out garret temple. He played well and we should see what he does this summer and early in the season. We do not have the money to pick up some major FA this summer. We have to work with what we have and I think we were missing a few things to actually contend. 1. BIG C/PF that can play D and rebound to give Duncan rest/play along side him when we play bigger teams i.e. lakers. 2. A couple of shooters that can spot up and shoot (by the way if we got channing frye that would be perfect, big who can stretch the floor, this wont happen just sayin) 3. More athleticism (we did well last offseason but not good enough)

Here are some FA that we can look at some are nothing special just something that is not roger mason jr or keith bogans) We need shooters also some that can play D.

Maurice Evans
Ray Allen
Eddie House
Raja Bell
Anthony Morrow
Quenton Richardson
Matt Barnes
Grant Hill (we should have got him last year)
Kyle Korver

Here is what our roster and lineups should and most realistically will look next year:

Duncan/Splitter/Bonner(maybe)
Dice/Blair
Jefferson/Hairston/ FA pick up 1(Bell/Barnes/Evans)/Draft pick(James)
Manu/Hill/FA pick up will get minutes here too
Parker/Hill/Temple

These are potential rotations that I like and just for the sake of example lets say we get Mo Evans in the FA because he is a proven Defender and hits the three:

Starting lineup:

Duncan - Duh
Dice - D/Rebound/Mid range jumper all solid - knows the system now
Evans - can guard teams best player or second scorer hits three
Hill - Solid D and his play this season shows he can play
Parker - I think parker needs to start and Manu off the bench, Manu plays better with the second team players and is more of a creator.

- This starting lineup is like the lineups that brought SA championships. Duncan playing with a solid big that does his job and hits shots when needed. Mo Evans like Bowen can play D and hits the three, we dont need him to be a scorer with the first unit. Hill will become a little more of a scorer and serve better then the finleys of the past, he D is solid. Parker will be the primary scorer and fire power to start games, thats what we need from him.

Second Unit:

Splitter - We need to get him minutes and prime him to become solid along side TD, he has the potential to start along side Duncan
Blair - I think he will play well with a bigger player in splitter. He played most of his minutes with guys like bonner/Dice and RJ as PF. This will allow him to not have to guard the biggest guy on the other team and dominate the boards with another big on the floor. Also this means no more small ball.
Jefferson - This lineup will run the floor and he feeds of players (Manu) this will get him more involved
Hairston( or rookie) - This will get him a chance to show what he can do playing with go to guys on the second unit he can hit shots an play D
Manu - Manu is not a PG but he handles the ball and creates for this team when he is in the game so technically he kinda is for the second unit.

- This second unit is young and athletic and will bring energy and change of pace. They will run the floor more and change the game. Yes manu and jefferson are not young but jefferson is athletic and manu is the creator.
- P.s. these lineups make for no more small ball! please!

Those 10 guys will be our units hopefully and the roster will round out with Temple, maybe bonner, and it would be great if we could add another FA with evans or whoever we get but it is likely it will be a scrub from D-league or Ian maihimi.

This is IMO is the best possible team we could have next year and I think it is ideal. It does not involve alot of new pieces. A couple of the new players from this last season have a year in the system and it will be easier to gel. We are not adding a ton of players and remember Splitter is not a rookie he is 25 and a two time MVP of the spanish league. He is going to come over and know how to play. I mean with this team set in place I think we would have a shot. We were not that far off this year, we just needed TP to be completely healthy and playing like an All Star (which he will), A Big that can play around the basket, and a wing defender or some players that can hit the three for god sake. I know that sounds like a lot but it really isn't. It just means adding two maybe three guys, not major pieces just glue pieces.

- Just a note if the Spurs sign Roger Mason and Bogans as their bench/role players then we are done. They are FA, let them walk please. I do not think the Spurs FO is that dumb but if the Suns showed them anything our bench "role players" or horrible. The suns bench was amazing in this series. Dragic, Dudley (hate him), Frye, Hill, Amundson. Those guys outplayed or starters most of the time.

Ideally it would be great to bring an all star type big man like bosh but there is no way we can do that with our money situation unless we make drastic moves like trading parker. I do not think the spurs are ready to trade parker. Hill has improved but is not a true pg( I know neither is TP) but if we got another all star (bosh) then we would need hill to be a distributor and I do not think he is ready. Also doing something that drastic as in breaking up the big three pretty much IMO means rebuilding and closing the window on the duncan era. If your are going to break it up then you might as well trade duncan. Duncan does not have another 4 to 5 years to build with a new point guard and TP is not that old (28). Duncan is 34 and I see two more years in him maybe three. For him to last that long he needs another big to help him out, much like Robinson did when Duncan came along. I know we are not going to magically get another player like Duncan (best PF of all time) but atleast someone (hopefully splitter) to help him out for the next couple of years. If this does not happen then sadly the window might be closed. I will never admit the window is closed, but the Spurs do anything this offseason it needs to be getting a BIG player along side Duncan. Splitter is our best bet but if not him then we have to figure out a way to get a solid big to build along side Duncan and for the future of this team.

One good thing is that this is a big FA year which means several teams will probably be changing some of their core players and it takes a while for teams to gel with their new players and build a team. The allows a veteran team like the spurs to have a shot while they still have their core. I can not stress enough that we NEED a natural big that can play. He doesn't even have to be a great offensive player but a big body that is proven on the offensive end (not great) or a young guy that has room to improve but can play D and rebound. If this does not happen this offseason I am afraid the Duncan era might be over.

The reason this is such a priority is that even if we don't contend next year we still have another year or two with Duncan and this new big will have a year with the team and be ready to make a run. I know if Duncan thinks they are contending he will stay until he is 38 or 39 much like shaq. So the Spurs need to prove to Duncan that they will get a guy in there that he can pass the torch too. Now I do not know just how good Splitter is or will be, but he is the best chance we got and the Spurs have to get him over here even if that means promising him a starting role.

DesignatedT
05-11-2010, 12:08 AM
is there sparknotes available for this?

MaNu4Tres
05-11-2010, 12:17 AM
:smchode:

4>0rings
05-11-2010, 12:26 AM
People actually think writting 10 page documents is going to accomplis something?

SenorSpur
05-11-2010, 12:36 AM
I totally gave up reading this, when the poster recommended keeping Bonner and letting Ian go. How anyone, in their right mind, could want to replay another season of Bonner's failed playoff outings, is beyond me? So, let's just waste another year on that one-trick pony and, at the same time, kick out an unproven, talented big, who has unique skills that no one else on the roster has. That's a fine idea. :rolleyes

D. Nile
05-11-2010, 12:50 AM
Jesus Christ, mate! If I didn't hae double vision already, I dae now. And we Cockney perform quite well under those circumstances usually, but this is just too much. Has it been a whilst since yeh got lost in the olde meat curtains?

Anyroad, can we let the season finish up before we start yakking about all this shizz. The lads hae a big game tomorrow and I for one hae been prepping for it the last 48 hours. I've been tossing back the ale fancy it was flea infested panties -- ye hae to watch yoursely with some of these women hereaboot.;)

Looking forward to a sterling game tomorrow and hopefully our yobs lay it all out on the pitch and put themselves in position to win the whole thingamijig. Fancy I've been saying, the Finals will be here shortly and the chaps need to be fit and in tip top shape. The coach knows what he's doing, mates. Just keep the faith and root the lads on. We've got plenty of time for the offseason bobbins.

Toodle pip!

poop
05-11-2010, 12:54 AM
for gods sake, can we please...PLEASE...stop hearing all this hopeful whimsical talk of this 'splitter' character already????