PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Recomendations ?

Chief
05-11-2010, 02:26 AM
Sup all,

looking for a phone that can be used worldwide, a gsm phone. a.k.a. it can't be sprint or any phone that does not use a sim card.

a touch screen would be nice, HAS TO have WiFi. good multimedia

what do you guy's have right now ? what are the hottest phones in the states right now ?

DMX7
05-11-2010, 02:39 AM
Well, there's a lot to choose from. I hear this phone called "iPhone" is pretty popular too.

The Reckoning
05-11-2010, 04:03 AM
converted go-phone works wonders

Bukefal
05-11-2010, 05:43 AM
A blackberry Bold is nice, but it doesnt have touchscreen. Iphone is great too.

fraga
05-11-2010, 09:33 AM
Htc evo 4g

Drachen
05-11-2010, 10:32 AM
Htc evo 4g

Would have recommended this one, but am unsure if you can take it 'round the world.

CavsSuperFan
05-11-2010, 11:21 AM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:z6Wip7JRtEJqEM:http://www.ixibo.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/first-wireless-phonemotorola-dynatac-8000x.jpgI have been using one of these for years...Like an 8x tape player you just can't beat the classics...

DisAsTerBot
05-11-2010, 11:22 AM
nokia n900

FalleNxWiZarDx
05-11-2010, 11:50 AM
BlackBerry Bold 9700 with at&t

bigzak25
05-11-2010, 11:51 AM
link (http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Unlocked-Slot-U-S-Warranty-Ultramarine/dp/B00212HNA0/ref=sr_1_1/186-4454840-7860023?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1273596332&sr=8-1)

i just got this one from amazon as it was a good deal and i didn't want to get a 2 year contract extension with att and i didn't want them to charge me 20/30 bux extra a month for a required data plan.

it has wifi and a keyboard as i was tired of having to respond to texts with my no keyboard flip phone from 2007...

i popped the sim card in and it was good to go.

goodluck.

EricB
05-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Can't beat the Iphone with any other phone. Period.

JoeChalupa
05-11-2010, 12:25 PM
For what I use my cell phone for I just a simple one with no camera, no wifi, no touch tone. No need for no iphone for me but I do see how it would benefit some but for most of the friends I know that have it the got the iphone for the fun of it and don't use if for much more than what I use a cell phone for.

JoeChalupa
05-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Damn bigzaks, no way I'm paying that much for a phone. I'm up for a new phone this month so I'll probably go with another simple one but I do want a keypad for texting.

TwAnKiEs
05-11-2010, 12:31 PM
My Touch 3G Slide (T-Mobile)

http://phandroid.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/htc-mytouch-slide-red-550x733.jpg

lefty
05-11-2010, 12:31 PM
The new Iphone 4g is coming this summer

JoeChalupa
05-11-2010, 12:34 PM
The new Iphone 4g is coming this summer

I was at Sprint a week ago upgrading my daughter's phone and they told me that Sprint was coming out with the first 4G phone this summer that was going to blow the Iphone away?

JoeChalupa
05-11-2010, 12:35 PM
My daughter wanted one of those touch screen phones and I told her noway I was going to pay extra just because of that. :lol She got a Rumour.

Heath Ledger
05-11-2010, 01:05 PM
There is only one real phone in the states. IPHONE FTW.

ididnotnothat
05-11-2010, 01:42 PM
I still use and love my blackberry.

Cry Havoc
05-11-2010, 01:46 PM
The HTC Evo 4G is going to be at least equal to, if not superior, to the iPhone in every conceivable way. The only real advantage the iPhone will have is a bigger app store, but I find there's a lot of crap to wade through with it.

The Evo 4G is going to have a larger screen, a kickstand, a more customizable user-interface (a huge difference), and it will feature the ability to be a wifi hotspot for up to 8 devices.

I have never seen a phone that could truly be called an "iPhone killer". This is the first. It's going to blow away any other phone on the market EXCEPT the new iPhone, and will probably be better than the latest darling from Cupertino.

I wouldn't recommend anything except the Evo right now. It's just freaking awesome. If you live in a 4G area for Sprint, there is no comparison, because 4G is going to blow past 3G. Streaming HD video? Yes please.

fraga
05-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Can't beat the Iphone with any other phone. Period.

There is only one real phone in the states. IPHONE FTW.

HTC EVO 4G...look into it...

jaffies
05-11-2010, 03:28 PM
You're damn right, Havoc and Fraga!

HTC EVO 4G doesn't have any close competitors right now. However, for the OP, I wouldn't recommend it because it runs on CDMA not GSM, so no overseas usage.

lefty
05-11-2010, 03:45 PM
I was at Sprint a week ago upgrading my daughter's phone and they told me that Sprint was coming out with the first 4G phone this summer that was going to blow the Iphone away?
Yep

There is thread in the Geek Zone forum about it

CosmicCowboy
05-11-2010, 04:02 PM
I just moved to the iphone. I'm OK with 3G. I really don't need high speed HD video.

Biernutz
05-11-2010, 04:48 PM
I have a T-Mobile My Touch 3g with the internet. T-Mobiles internet service sucks. Soooooooo Sloooooooooooooow it makes AOL dial up look fast. Can't wait to get out of my contract.

ShoogarBear
05-21-2010, 12:41 AM
Got my preorder for the EVO in.

David@SLCC
05-21-2010, 05:35 AM
BlackBerry Bold 9700 with at&t

I'd recommend the BB 9700 as well (my carrier is different, though). I got one earlier this year and have already taking it to a few places where it used to be impossible for me to connect consistently with the same phone: China, Japan, Korea, Dubai, USA, UK, Argentina, India, etc.

It's reliable and it has improved multimedia capabilities compared to previous Bold and Curve models. However, it's still very much oriented for the enterprise/corporate users and some people might not like that.

AnthonyM
05-23-2010, 12:40 AM
http://phones.verizonwireless.com/htc/incredible/

I just bought this phone.

It was out of stock so I have to wait for it after I ordered it...but all of the reviews say it is as good, if not better than the Iphone...with a 1Ghz Snapdragon processor and an 8 megapixel camera...I have tried it though and the phone is lightning fast. Beats the IPhone in speed in my opinion. It also can handle most of what you can ask it to do...reviews say it can handle as many as 7 to 8 apps running and it doesn't lag at all and is still fast, even when surfing the web...

CNet has it rated the 2nd best phone behind the Iphone right now...largely because the IPhone can still do voice and data at the same time and Verizon phones still don't do that..

Also, Verizon beats Sprint and At&t coverage...as most reviews say...and I have friends that don't like either service.

The IPhone may still be the best out there (I tend to think that's because of brand recognition...but their apps are well established and the IPhone has been out longer so many features have been tweaked)...but those saying the IPhone is the best need to look up some reviews on this phone...many say that it's far and away the best smartphone on the market right now...

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/7460/htcdroidincredible2300x.jpgSend To Phone

Fillmoe
05-23-2010, 02:25 AM
anything with android

Venti Quattro
05-23-2010, 03:06 AM
nokia n900

Cry Havoc
05-23-2010, 11:51 AM
http://phones.verizonwireless.com/htc/incredible/

I just bought this phone.

It was out of stock so I have to wait for it after I ordered it...but all of the reviews say it is as good, if not better than the Iphone...with a 1Ghz Snapdragon processor and an 8 megapixel camera...I have tried it though and the phone is lightning fast. Beats the IPhone in speed in my opinion. It also can handle most of what you can ask it to do...reviews say it can handle as many as 7 to 8 apps running and it doesn't lag at all and is still fast, even when surfing the web...

CNet has it rated the 2nd best phone behind the Iphone right now...largely because the IPhone can still do voice and data at the same time and Verizon phones still don't do that..

Also, Verizon beats Sprint and At&t coverage...as most reviews say...and I have friends that don't like either service.

The IPhone may still be the best out there (I tend to think that's because of brand recognition...but their apps are well established and the IPhone has been out longer so many features have been tweaked)...but those saying the IPhone is the best need to look up some reviews on this phone...many say that it's far and away the best smartphone on the market right now...

That's probably the best smartphone on the market presently. I saw it, looks very sexy.

However, the Evo 4G is going to destroy everything when it's released. Engadget has been testing it, and they say it's a step above anything that's been released before.

Sisk
05-23-2010, 03:19 PM
http://images.fastcompany.com/upload/iphone4-giz.jpg

I enjoy androids, but their screens are still inferior in terms of sensitivity.

Cry Havoc
05-23-2010, 08:56 PM
http://images.fastcompany.com/upload/iphone4-giz.jpg

I enjoy androids, but their screens are still inferior in terms of sensitivity.

Have you used an HTC screen? Ever attempted to type on an HD2? It's extremely close between the two. I don't think you could make a convincing argument that the iPhone's screen is outright more sensitive than the newer smartphones.

Amarelooms
05-23-2010, 08:58 PM
WTF....Iphone rules all dummy....

:elephant

Dro210
05-23-2010, 09:14 PM
I have a Motorola Droid, and even tho it's about to be a little outdated by the Incredible and EVO, it's still better than a non-jailbroken Iphone... and it's still by far the best smartphone with a real keyboard.

Now if you jailbreak the Iphone, then we've got a real competition. Iphone's biggest advantages are that it's got the market on lock, and things are made with the Iphone in mind. Plus, of course, voice/data at the same time. Droid's biggest advantages are that it has the slide out keyboard (cause fuck typing on the screen), and Adobe Flash 10.1 will (supposedly) be released for it sometime this summer. Android app store is pretty legit, Apple may have a little more, but all the good ones are in both.

I haven't really notice a difference in the touch screen functioning.

fraga
05-23-2010, 09:42 PM
WTF....Iphone rules all dummy....

:elephant

http://maaadddog.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/ignorance.jpg

Sisk
05-23-2010, 09:44 PM
Have you used an HTC screen? Ever attempted to type on an HD2? It's extremely close between the two. I don't think you could make a convincing argument that the iPhone's screen is outright more sensitive than the newer smartphones.

Yes, I have used one and it's not on par with the iPhone's IMO. That being said I'd rock an android in a heartbeat if I wasn't on AT&T/had an iPhone.

For me, iPhone is the best on the market, but with the new HTC Androids being a very close second.

Cry Havoc
05-24-2010, 12:10 AM
(cause fuck typing on the screen)

I don't get why people are so resistant to using touchscreen phones for typing. One of the biggest advantages that the iPhone had when i twas released is the ability to type without needing to depress a key with your thumb over and over and over. I'm satisfied that I can blow any Blackberry/Droid user away with my ability to text via an iPhone -- a difference that will likely become even more pronounced with the larger screen of the Evo. I'm talking about speeds in the 40-50 wpm range, which is faster than most people can type on a keyboard.

Yes, I have used one and it's not on par with the iPhone's IMO. That being said I'd rock an android in a heartbeat if I wasn't on AT&T/had an iPhone.

For me, iPhone is the best on the market, but with the new HTC Androids being a very close second.

Have you used ANY of the new Android phones extensively? Obviously you haven't tried the Evo yet, so I wonder how you can possibly say that it's not as good as the iPhone, especially considering the Evo will absolutely DESTROY the 2g/3g/3gs iPhones. Seriously, all of the iPhones with exception of the newest one are not even worth comparing to the Evo. They're 2nd rate phones at best at this point. No matter how pretty the iPhone OS looks, it can't compete with the Evo until the 4th gen phone is released. Fortunately for Apple, that's coming on the 7th, but it is still no guarantee of superiority, given how superior the HTC looks on paper.

Sisk
05-24-2010, 01:27 AM
I don't get why people are so resistant to using touchscreen phones for typing. One of the biggest advantages that the iPhone had when i twas released is the ability to type without needing to depress a key with your thumb over and over and over. I'm satisfied that I can blow any Blackberry/Droid user away with my ability to text via an iPhone -- a difference that will likely become even more pronounced with the larger screen of the Evo. I'm talking about speeds in the 40-50 wpm range, which is faster than most people can type on a keyboard.

Have you used ANY of the new Android phones extensively? Obviously you haven't tried the Evo yet, so I wonder how you can possibly say that it's not as good as the iPhone, especially considering the Evo will absolutely DESTROY the 2g/3g/3gs iPhones. Seriously, all of the iPhones with exception of the newest one are not even worth comparing to the Evo. They're 2nd rate phones at best at this point. No matter how pretty the iPhone OS looks, it can't compete with the Evo until the 4th gen phone is released. Fortunately for Apple, that's coming on the 7th, but it is still no guarantee of superiority, given how superior the HTC looks on paper.

I've used one droid (hero) from HTC. I haven't used the evo, so I can't comment. That phone should be extremely impressive.

However, I've got a feeling this new iPhone will be miles ahead of the 3G S.

Dro210
05-24-2010, 01:35 AM

Haha, I don't know man, it's just personal preference I guess. I've been using that style of keyboard for a long time now.... I'm pretty quick with it myself. :smokin

Cry Havoc
05-24-2010, 01:44 AM
I've used one droid (hero) from HTC. I haven't used the evo, so I can't comment. That phone should be extremely impressive.

However, I've got a feeling this new iPhone will be miles ahead of the 3G S.

What, exactly, do you expect it to do so much better than the current iPhone? Other than the higher HQ back/and front facing camera, what have you heard from Apple about any upgrades or innovations to the iPhone? The 3GS was a very incremental upgrade... and I really don't see anything that seems to set this one apart.

The Evo, on the other hand.... 7.5 megs per second download speed. That's untouchable.

Haha, I don't know man, it's just personal preference I guess. I've been using that style of keyboard for a long time now.... I'm pretty quick with it myself. :smokin

I just think that a lot of people reject a touchscreen before they see the potential merits. I could never go back to a standard physical keyboard on a phone. I'm 2 to 3 times as fast on a touchscreen. It's almost embarrassing.

Sisk
05-24-2010, 01:50 AM
I couldn't tell you exactly they'll do - they're the ones paid to think of that, not me - but I do know that Apple is the owner of many, many patents that they could throw out on any new iPhone as they please. The reason I'm saying I expect this new phone to be a huge step is due to the fact that Android's are gaining a lot of ground on iPhones and, well, Apple doesn't like to lose.

Just to mention one patent as I'm a bit too tired right now to bring up more, they have a patent that embeds miniature solar panels embedded to the phone. Thus charging your phone as you're using it. Not saying it'll be on this next phone, I'm just saying they could.

Cry Havoc
05-24-2010, 08:06 AM
I couldn't tell you exactly they'll do - they're the ones paid to think of that, not me - but I do know that Apple is the owner of many, many patents that they could throw out on any new iPhone as they please. The reason I'm saying I expect this new phone to be a huge step is due to the fact that Android's are gaining a lot of ground on iPhones and, well, Apple doesn't like to lose.

Just to mention one patent as I'm a bit too tired right now to bring up more, they have a patent that embeds miniature solar panels embedded to the phone. Thus charging your phone as you're using it. Not saying it'll be on this next phone, I'm just saying they could.

:lol

So because they have a patent on a mini-solar panel, the new iPhone is going to be a massive leap forward for Applekind.

Conjecture is nice, but without any real evidence, that's all it is. The Evo will be here in a week and a half, and it will have specs that outstrip anything ever offered in a phone in the US.

ShoogarBear
05-24-2010, 06:18 PM

Well, I've preordered the EVO but the virtual keyboard is the thing I'm least looking forward to. I've found the virtual keyboard on the iPhone frustrating the few times I've played with it, and one of the reasons I'm sad the Pre didn't pan out (in addition to the promise of webOS) is that it had a sliding keyboard.

But, with the EVO's bigger screen the keys are supposedly much easier to use, so we'll see.

AnthonyM
05-25-2010, 12:38 AM
That's probably the best smartphone on the market presently. I saw it, looks very sexy.

However, the Evo 4G is going to destroy everything when it's released. Engadget has been testing it, and they say it's a step above anything that's been released before.

Yeah, I've heard the Evo is going to be pretty sick.

But, I have Verizon so, it really wasn't an option for me. I think it's important though because isn't the Evo only coming out for Sprint? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I've heard that Sprint's service is pretty terrible though, from friends and what I've read...and their 3g coverage isnt that great either. And, I've never had any problems with Verizon's service...I think it's great...Almost never have problems getting a signal...

dastrey
05-25-2010, 02:15 AM
I've heard that Sprint's service is pretty terrible though, from friends and what I've read...and their 3g coverage isnt that great either.
Whenever a Sprint phone starts to roam out of coverage, it switches over to Verizon's towers for free. So essentially Sprint 3g coverage=Verizon's 3g coverage.

Sprint is great for people looking to get unlimited calls to cell phones, unlimited internet, and unlimited text messages for $70. There are also several ways to get discounts. The only draw back in my experience is their customer service. If a problem comes up, it is best to email them and wait a couple days, then to talk to their representatives. It is a small price to pay for the amount of money I save over Verizon or AT&T.

dastrey
05-25-2010, 02:22 AM
Well, I've preordered the EVO but the virtual keyboard is the thing I'm least looking forward to. I've found the virtual keyboard on the iPhone frustrating the few times I've played with it, and one of the reasons I'm sad the Pre didn't pan out (in addition to the promise of webOS) is that it had a sliding keyboard.

But, with the EVO's bigger screen the keys are supposedly much easier to use, so we'll see.

Not only is the screen bigger, but the onscreen keyboard is bigger as well. Most people with droids don't even use their keyboard. Also don't forget about programs like Swype (http://gizmodo.com/5047798/blindingly-fast-touchscreen-text-entry-system-gets-a-push-by-creator-of-t9), that will make it faster and easier to type on a touch screen.

Drachen
05-25-2010, 08:09 AM

I have a Hero, and for the first week and a half or two weeks, I didn't like the touch keypad, but now I am faster than I was on a regular phone keyboard. Also, for those who enjoy the tactile feedback that a regular phone keyboard gives you when you press a key, you can set the touch screen to vibrate a little every time you type a letter so you are getting feedback.

TwAnKiEs
05-25-2010, 08:31 AM
anything with android or HTC

:toast

Cry Havoc
05-25-2010, 08:52 AM

Well, if you think about it, you're basically learning to type all over again, using your thumbs, and depending on sight and spatial cues to know where your fingers are on the "keys". I don't think it's something you can accurately get a feel for after a few uses. Once you do though, the lack of needing to press down on the buttons saves you tons of texting time, especially with how robust predictive text is these days.

It'll take a couple weeks for you to really get used to it. After that though, you'll leave your physical keyboard behind. I think the same goes for almost any experienced typist.

Yeah, I've heard the Evo is going to be pretty sick.

But, I have Verizon so, it really wasn't an option for me. I think it's important though because isn't the Evo only coming out for Sprint? Correct me if I'm wrong.

The Evo is a Sprint-exclusive phone. But I'm dropping AT&T to go to them. Can't wait.

I've heard that Sprint's service is pretty terrible though, from friends and what I've read...and their 3g coverage isnt that great either. And, I've never had any problems with Verizon's service...I think it's great...Almost never have problems getting a signal...

Sadly, I've heard the same thing about every major US provider. T-mobile, AT&T, Sprint, Verizon... they all have spotty service at times.

Bender
05-25-2010, 12:58 PM
according to the coverage maps you can look at on each provider's site, AT&T coverage is way ahead of the other providers, at least for voice.

I don't have a smart phone, I just talk & text.

ShoogarBear
05-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Sprint's customer service is MUUUUUCH better than it was 4-5 years ago. And to be honest I haven't heard anyone rave about how great their cellular company's customer service is.

And since, as pointed out, Sprint uses the Verizon towers for 3G, I don't see how their coverage can be any worse. My impression is that it's generally better than T-Mobile's and AT&T's. (AT&T has great coverage by the map, but is notoriously bad in large cities with heavy iPhone use.)

Sisk
05-25-2010, 08:11 PM
:lol

So because they have a patent on a mini-solar panel, the new iPhone is going to be a massive leap forward for Applekind.

Conjecture is nice, but without any real evidence, that's all it is. The Evo will be here in a week and a half, and it will have specs that outstrip anything ever offered in a phone in the US.

:bang

When did I say because of one single patent this phone would be leaps forward? I said there are multiple (more than one) patents they have that most are unaware of that could be implemented in this next phone.

And you know what we don't have? All the new iPhone specs. So both are arguments for each phone are purely speculation.

Are you related to the developers of the Android or what? They're just damn phones after all. Quit getting your panties in a punch - they're both good phones. :tu

Cry Havoc
05-25-2010, 08:43 PM
:bang

When did I say because of one single patent this phone would be leaps forward? I said there are multiple (more than one) patents they have that most are unaware of that could be implemented in this next phone.

And you know what we don't have? All the new iPhone specs. So both are arguments for each phone are purely speculation.

Are you related to the developers of the Android or what? They're just damn phones after all. Quit getting your panties in a punch - they're both good phones. :tu

No, I'm just chuckling at people drooling over everything that comes out of Cupertino. Which is exactly my point -- no hard specs for the phone, and somehow you know it's going to be a huge step up from the 3GS. It doesn't make any sense. I'm not getting my panties in a "punch", I find it humorous at how quickly people rush to defend "their" brand.

ShoogarBear
05-25-2010, 08:50 PM
Cell phone wars are some of the most humorous things on the internets these days. You think you were kicking people's dogs around

One other issue with the EVO: It has Android 2.1 with the Sense UI. Android 2.2 is coming out and is about five times FASTER than 2.1, but unfortunately the history with HTC/Sense is that it delays the Android updates by several months. Too bad, because the EVO with Android 2.2 should really rock.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
05-25-2010, 09:10 PM
Sprint's customer service is MUUUUUCH better than it was 4-5 years ago. And to be honest I haven't heard anyone rave about how great their cellular company's customer service is.

And since, as pointed out, Sprint uses the Verizon towers for 3G, I don't see how their coverage can be any worse. My impression is that it's generally better than T-Mobile's and AT&T's. (AT&T has great coverage by the map, but is notoriously bad in large cities with heavy iPhone use.)

AT&T's 3g coverage is embarrassing

http://www.almostagency.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/VZ_vs_ATT_3G_coverage.jpg

fraga
05-25-2010, 09:13 PM
I could have sworn I heard the HTC EVO would be running Android 2.2...aka Froyo...

AnthonyM
05-25-2010, 10:53 PM
I could have sworn I heard the HTC EVO would be running Android 2.2...aka Froyo...

It probably won't at first but according to HTC...if the Android phone you have was released in 2010 there's a good chance you'll be able to update your phone to Android 2.2 (Froyo)...

http://www.wirelessandmobilenews.com/2010/05/android-an-droid-update-news-android-22-coming-to-nexus-one-droid-incredible-htc-desire-evo-4g-and-m.html

Sisk
05-26-2010, 04:18 PM
No, I'm just chuckling at people drooling over everything that comes out of Cupertino. Which is exactly my point -- no hard specs for the phone, and somehow you know it's going to be a huge step up from the 3GS. It doesn't make any sense. I'm not getting my panties in a "punch", I find it humorous at how quickly people rush to defend "their" brand.

First off, Apple is not "my" brand. I hate macbooks/OS X/anythingthatisn'taniPhone. I'm a Windows user all the way.

Apple does these things in cycles. Release a type of product - refresh it the next year - then come out withs something much improved the year after.

Time will tell.

ShoogarBear
05-26-2010, 06:40 PM
It probably won't at first but according to HTC...if the Android phone you have was released in 2010 there's a good chance you'll be able to update your phone to Android 2.2 (Froyo)...

http://www.wirelessandmobilenews.com/2010/05/android-an-droid-update-news-android-22-coming-to-nexus-one-droid-incredible-htc-desire-evo-4g-and-m.html

Except that HTC/Sense phones are notoriously slow (6 months!) at updating to the latest Android.

The more I read about Froyo, the more it seems that it will be as big or maybe even a bigger deal than having the EVO.

AnthonyM
05-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Except that HTC/Sense phones are notoriously slow (6 months!) at updating to the latest Android.

The more I read about Froyo, the more it seems that it will be as big or maybe even a bigger deal than having the EVO.

Yeah, I get what you're saying.

Honestly...anyone who has had Verizon for longer than a year knows that they finally have good phones out and are catching up to the other providers in terms of quality of the phone. So I'm just glad they finally wised up.

And, I've never had a top of the line phone, so I'm just happy to be getting any phone with Android technology...the extra wait for Froyo for me isn't really too big a deal.

Cry Havoc
05-26-2010, 10:59 PM

Froyo is a big deal. However, the Evo is such an awesome phone, that even without it, it will be a phenomenal phone to have. I really doubt that a flagship phone like the Evo will have to wait more than a few months for the Froyo upgrade.

Cry Havoc
05-27-2010, 07:36 AM

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2364111,00.asp

Nothing definite, but it seems that they are serious about upgrading to Froyo ASAP.

ShoogarBear
05-27-2010, 08:19 AM
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2364111,00.asp

Nothing definite, but it seems that they are serious about upgrading to Froyo ASAP.

Yeah, I've seen this announcement. You notice they say things like "most likely . . . this year". There's nothing that states it will be any different from the previous delays.

Cry Havoc
05-27-2010, 09:51 AM
Yeah, I've seen this announcement. You notice they say things like "most likely . . . this year". There's nothing that states it will be any different from the previous delays.

It is what it is.

As fast as the Evo is being purported to be, I'm wondering how the new OS can be "5 times as fast". From what I've heard, there's almost no delay doing any task while using the Evo. Even multi-tasking between 4-5 different apps is supposed to be almost completely free of slowdown.

I'll know in exactly a week just how good this phone is. :hat

Bender
05-27-2010, 10:20 AM
we expect a full report!

ShoogarBear
05-27-2010, 11:55 AM
It is what it is.

As fast as the Evo is being purported to be, I'm wondering how the new OS can be "5 times as fast". From what I've heard, there's almost no delay doing any task while using the Evo. Even multi-tasking between 4-5 different apps is supposed to be almost completely free of slowdown.

Froyo uses a just-in-time (JIT) compiler which is supposedly a game-changer.

There's a video of a speed test of the EVO running 2.1 and the N1 running 2.2; I'll have to see if I can find it again. But the benchmark testing (which isn't the same as running everyday programs, was 5 x faster on Froyo.)

So the EVO with 2.2 should be awesome.

Fpoonsie
05-27-2010, 12:18 PM
Ok, every time ya'll reference "Froyo", I think of frozen yogurt.

AnthonyM
05-27-2010, 01:03 PM

Well, ya know, Android 2.1 is also known as Eclair...

Just sayin'...

Drachen
05-27-2010, 01:04 PM

Yeah, Android releases are named after deserts. Eclair, Cupcake, Froyo. Funny though, because all I can think of is that my phone's operating system saved middle earth from the evils of Mordor.

ShoogarBear
05-27-2010, 07:04 PM
There's a video of a speed test of the EVO running 2.1 and the N1 running 2.2; I'll have to see if I can find it again. But the benchmark testing (which isn't the same as running everyday programs, was 5 x faster on Froyo.)

Here's the link:

http://www.androidcentral.com/benchmarking-android-22-froyo-against-android-21-eclair

ShoogarBear
06-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Less than 48 hours from EVO day. Here's the first EVO commercial:

HdLtWVy1DQI

Radio Shack is opening 1600 of their stores at 6 a.m. to handle the demand.

This thing is gonna be big. Lots of reviews available on-line and about the only real concern is the battery life. Some are saying its horrible, some say it's not much different than the iPhone.

florige
06-03-2010, 12:41 AM

I have been with Sprint for 10 years and in enclosed areas I don't just not get spotty service, I get zero service. There are people in the lockeroom at my job who still get clear service while I still get zero bars. Sprint is by far the worst service I have ever encountered.

TheMACHINE
06-03-2010, 01:19 AM
so im stuck with verizon and i told my bro i was gonna get the HTC Incredible...he told me to get the Droid 2.2 when it comes out (He used the word "Tank"?) I dont know much about phones since i still have dont have a smartphone (LG EnV2). Should i take his word for it? He're what he wrote me:

"get the tank. dont go for the htc. the htc is like a simpler phone version of the droid, if your going to upgrade to a unlimited internet plan, the droid is like a mini computer and does it all. thing is i havent unlocked the true potential of my phone yet. all of the stuff you can do etc, i just use it for my calendar and its synced and emails etc... but the cool thing is that soon droid 2.2 is coming out (an upgrade for the droid currently) and we can view flash sites. apple cant do that yet. its been pushed back but it'll come. anyway i really need to learn my phone more, but its really good at multitasking. iphones cant do that :)"

ShoogarBear
06-03-2010, 07:36 AM
so im stuck with verizon and i told my bro i was gonna get the HTC Incredible...he told me to get the Droid 2.2 when it comes out (He used the word "Tank"?) I dont know much about phones since i still have dont have a smartphone (LG EnV2). Should i take his word for it? He're what he wrote me:
The general rule is if you want the New Hotness, you always have to wait another six months. But if you're always waiting, then you'll never have it. I

Motorola is supposed to be coming out with two new phones for Verizon in July, one of which is supposed to be the Droid Shadow, but nobody seems to know a lot about it specs other than it's got a 4.3" screen like the EVO.

But, if you wait till the end of the year, Snapdragon is coming out with a dual-processor chip (? which phones) and that combined with Android 2.2/2.3 will probably be blazing.

"get the tank. dont go for the htc. the htc is like a simpler phone version of the droid, if your going to upgrade to a unlimited internet plan, the droid is like a mini computer and does it all. thing is i havent unlocked the true potential of my phone yet. all of the stuff you can do etc, i just use it for my calendar and its synced and emails etc... but the cool thing is that soon droid 2.2 is coming out (an upgrade for the droid currently) and we can view flash sites. apple cant do that yet. its been pushed back but it'll come. anyway i really need to learn my phone more, but its really good at multitasking. iphones cant do that :)"

The other thing is, you have to be careful about distinguishing between Android, which is the operating system owned by Google, and Droid, which is the brand name owned by Verizon. To make things more confusing, both Motorola and HTC make Droid phones (Motorola makes the Droid, HTC makes the Droid Incredible).

Android 2.2, the OS, does support flash, but it will do it on all Android phones.

And most impressions are that the HTC Droid Incredible is superior to the Motorola Droid (for one thing, it's newer).

benefactor
06-03-2010, 07:50 AM
Amongst all the smart phone talk...does anyone have any suggestions regarding the best non-smart phone? I'm looking to get away from my old as dirt phone but I don't really need or want a smart phone. If the phone is 3G, has a decent amount of internal memory(that's also expandable) then that's all I really need. I've looked at a couple and the Motorola Tundra seems like a pretty good phone. Anyone have any experience with this one or any other they could recommend? I'm on AT&T, BTW.

Cry Havoc
06-03-2010, 08:47 AM
The bandwidth cap on AT&T service basically means you're screwed if you're a new customer.

Sad to see a huge company self-sabotage.

fraga
06-03-2010, 08:49 AM
I have been with Sprint for 10 years and in enclosed areas I don't just not get spotty service, I get zero service. There are people in the lockeroom at my job who still get clear service while I still get zero bars. Sprint is by far the worst service I have ever encountered.

And what area are you in...cause here in San Antonio...I don't think I've ever lost signal on my Sprint service...

Drachen
06-03-2010, 09:03 AM
And what area are you in...cause here in San Antonio...I don't think I've ever lost signal on my Sprint service...

I have, but only in one place. In the bathroom, in the middle of the building of the floor underneath the John Peace Library at UTSA, but only in the far stall.

TheMACHINE
06-03-2010, 12:21 PM
The general rule is if you want the New Hotness, you always have to wait another six months. But if you're always waiting, then you'll never have it. I

Motorola is supposed to be coming out with two new phones for Verizon in July, one of which is supposed to be the Droid Shadow, but nobody seems to know a lot about it specs other than it's got a 4.3" screen like the EVO.

But, if you wait till the end of the year, Snapdragon is coming out with a dual-processor chip (? which phones) and that combined with Android 2.2/2.3 will probably be blazing.

The other thing is, you have to be careful about distinguishing between Android, which is the operating system owned by Google, and Droid, which is the brand name owned by Verizon. To make things more confusing, both Motorola and HTC make Droid phones (Motorola makes the Droid, HTC makes the Droid Incredible).

Android 2.2, the OS, does support flash, but it will do it on all Android phones.

And most impressions are that the HTC Droid Incredible is superior to the Motorola Droid (for one thing, it's newer).

I got you...so both HTC incredible and Motorola will eventually come out with a 2.2. The choice whether to get Incredible or Motorola Driod will be size, qwerty board etc.

Höfner
06-03-2010, 12:24 PM
Cell phones cause cancer

Fpoonsie
06-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Yeah, Android releases are named after deserts. Eclair, Cupcake, Froyo. Funny though, because all I can think of is that my phone's operating system saved middle earth from the evils of Mordor.

:rollin

I wasn't aware of the dessert names. Kinda feel a bit dumb now.

Ah, well.

ShoogarBear
06-03-2010, 12:51 PM
I got you...so both HTC incredible and Motorola will eventually come out with a 2.2. The choice whether to get Incredible or Motorola Driod will be size, qwerty board etc.

Yep. 2.2 is the software. In most cases software upgrades aren't that big a deal, but in this case the difference between 2.1 and 2.2 is supposed to be huge.

TheMACHINE
06-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Yep. 2.2 is the software. In most cases software upgrades aren't that big a deal, but in this case the difference between 2.1 and 2.2 is supposed to be huge.

well since im stuck with verizon...other then being newer, do you have a preference in which is better...droid or incredible?

I'll probably have to research on the shadow.

BTW...i'm eligible for upgrade on July 25th...so i still have plenty of time to research/

ShoogarBear
06-03-2010, 01:00 PM
The Incredible is supposed to be second only to the EVO, so it should be a pretty safe purchase now.

But if I was on Verizon, I would definitely wait for the two new Motorola phones coming out next month. It wouldn't be shocking to find out that one of them is as good or better than the EVO.

koriwhat
06-03-2010, 01:00 PM
i don't know about phones but definitely do not go with sprint! sprint is a pos network with shitty support and they almost always try to find a way to fuck you on your monthly bill.

TheMACHINE
06-03-2010, 01:34 PM
The Incredible is supposed to be second only to the EVO, so it should be a pretty safe purchase now.

But if I was on Verizon, I would definitely wait for the two new Motorola phones coming out next month. It wouldn't be shocking to find out that one of them is as good or better than the EVO.

then i shall wait. lol

leemajors
06-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Verizon has pushed out Android updates much quicker than Sprint in the last year.

TwAnKiEs
06-03-2010, 01:51 PM
I picked up the MyTouch Slide yesterday, and its running Android 2.1. Its a big refresh from my my touch (1.6), and its confirmed that its getting the 2.2 update. HTC\Andriod have done a great job with their stuff.

AnthonyM
06-03-2010, 02:15 PM

Yeah, the thing about phones now (and you mentioned earlier) is that even if you get the top of the line phone, you'll likely only have it for 3 or 4 months before something better comes out...so you'll always be waiting for the better phone.

So, it really comes down to what's available when you are eligible for an upgrade, or need a new phone. Which for me, right now, was the Incredible.

Cry Havoc
06-03-2010, 02:32 PM
i don't know about phones but definitely do not go with sprint! sprint is a pos network with shitty support and they almost always try to find a way to fuck you on your monthly bill.

LOL hater in the house.

My girlfriend has been with Sprint for 3 years, and said she hasn't had any real problems with them. She gets great service, too.

koriwhat
06-03-2010, 02:34 PM
LOL hater in the house.

My girlfriend has been with Sprint for 3 years, and said she hasn't had any real problems with them. She gets great service, too.

not a hater at all man...

- never got my rebate
- drop calls all the time
- bill is always wrong

why am i a hater for stating what's reality?

Drachen
06-03-2010, 02:37 PM

- never got my rebate
- bill is always wrong

That sucks dude, I haven't had a dropped call, my rebate came a month and a week early, and my bill is exactly what they said it would be (give or take about 20 cents).

Cry Havoc
06-03-2010, 02:39 PM

- never got my rebate Has nothing to do with their network
- bill is always wrong Has nothing to do with their network

It drops calls all the time and has a shoddy network.

AT&T has bungled my phone bill several times too.

I just find it hilarious that you just so happen to dislike the company who's putting up a serious competitor to the iPhone.

Seriously, since when does one person's testimony mean a company is bad? You think I couldn't find Verizon or AT&T customers to say that they've had a bad experience?

fraga
06-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Yeah I've been with Sprint for roughly 8 years...no problems what so ever...bill is the same month to month...maybe Sprint just hates you...

koriwhat
06-03-2010, 02:45 PM
It drops calls all the time and has a shoddy network.

AT&T has bungled my phone bill several times too.

I just find it hilarious that you just so happen to dislike the company who's putting up a serious competitor to the iPhone.

Seriously, since when does one person's testimony mean a company is bad? You think I couldn't find Verizon or AT&T customers to say that they've had a bad experience?

you're seriously making a big deal out of nothing and trying your hardest to make a case out of what i've said.

frankly i could give a shit less about the iphone because i don't own one, don't plan to own one, and really don't care to own one. keep reaching for the sky man!

i was simply stating my experience and if others haven't had to deal with the bs i have with sprint, then awesome! i've just had bad luck with them and when my contract is up i am out! i can't wait!

http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/jump-to-conclusions.jpg

Cry Havoc
06-03-2010, 03:07 PM
you're seriously making a big deal out of nothing and trying your hardest to make a case out of what i've said.

frankly i could give a shit less about the iphone because i don't own one, don't plan to own one, and really don't care to own one. keep reaching for the sky man!

i was simply stating my experience and if others haven't had to deal with the bs i have with sprint, then awesome! i've just had bad luck with them and when my contract is up i am out! i can't wait!

http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/jump-to-conclusions.jpg

I'm jumping to conclusions? You're the one making statements as if they're facts.

koriwhat
06-03-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm jumping to conclusions? You're the one making statements as if they're facts.

- never received a rebate... check
- drop calls all the time... check
- mistakes on my bill almost monthly... check

looks like facts to me.

jumping to conclusions is what you're best at man.

- thinking i give a shit about at&t's competitors because they are the only service the iphone is used on... check

the facts look legit to me. now where's that mat at in your house?

you can't really be this dumb are you CH? i mean arguing with someone because you think they're lying about their fuckin' phone service? what are you a rep for sprint? give me a fuckin' break!

Fpoonsie
06-03-2010, 03:37 PM

You made a generalization about Sprint's service as a whole simply due to your own personal experience and then accuse CH of jumping to conclusions.

How wonderfully ironic.

Oh, and "lol calf tats"

koriwhat
06-03-2010, 03:40 PM
You made a generalization about Sprint's service as a whole simply due to your own personal experience and then accuse CH of jumping to conclusions.

How wonderfully ironic.

Oh, and "lol calf tats"

let me make another assumption then... you like it up the ass!

lol gay hardy wearing fag!

hey keep following me around this forum and my assumptions will soon be shown to be truth.

btw, if CH needed someone to back him up i'm sure he wouldn't want some fag like you behind him.

Cry Havoc
06-03-2010, 03:47 PM
- never received a rebate... check
- drop calls all the time... check
- mistakes on my bill almost monthly... check

looks like facts to me.

jumping to conclusions is what you're best at man.

- thinking i give a shit about at&t's competitors because they are the only service the iphone is used on... check

the facts look legit to me. now where's that mat at in your house?

you can't really be this dumb are you CH? i mean arguing with someone because you think they're lying about their fuckin' phone service? what are you a rep for sprint? give me a fuckin' break!

It seems to me that you need to discover the difference between "personal experience" and "fact".

YOU had dropped calls. That does not mean their network is shitty. YOU had errors in your billing statements. That does not mean Sprint is out to hornswoggle their customers. Stop backpedaling because you made a gross generalization and got called out for it.

Fpoonsie
06-03-2010, 03:52 PM
let me make another assumption then... you like it up the ass!

lol gay hardy wearing fag!

hey keep following me around this forum and my assumptions will soon be shown to be truth.

btw, if CH needed someone to back him up i'm sure he wouldn't want some fag like you behind him.

Jesus, you're easy.

koriwhat
06-03-2010, 03:55 PM
It seems to me that you need to discover the difference between "personal experience" and "fact".

YOU had dropped calls. That does not mean their network is shitty. YOU had errors in your billing statements. That does not mean Sprint is out to hornswoggle their customers. Stop backpedaling because you made a gross generalization and got called out for it.

dude i dont give a fuck! fuck sprint! fuck you! fuck fpoonsie! i dont give a fuck!

kiss my ass bitch.

koriwhat
06-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Jesus, you're easy.

and you're still a fag no matter how you spin it.

fraga
06-03-2010, 04:46 PM
How dare you fuck sprint!!!

koriwhat
06-03-2010, 04:52 PM
How dare you fuck sprint!!!

sprint is hard to give it up but i got her number.

ShoogarBear
06-03-2010, 06:48 PM
She gets great service, too.

Don't change the subject.

Cry Havoc
06-03-2010, 11:46 PM
Don't change the subject.

Just the facts, Sir. :hat

Cry Havoc
06-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Hey shoog, how are you liking your evo?

This phone is everything I expected it to be. It's fast and the screen is amazing. There are a couple of small hitches with the way the OS works but overall this phone beats anything I've used before. It stomps my iPhone. I can't wait to see the new iPhone to compare the two.

As far as battery life goes, I have been using the phone today since 11 am. I still have 30% life at 7 pm, and have been on this almost constantly. Using camera, camcorder, surfing, maps... the evo literally never slows down, although I've had the browser crash twice on me. Still though, its excellent.

fraga
06-05-2010, 07:43 PM
1 Ghz Snapdragon...whapeesh....

AnthonyM
06-05-2010, 09:56 PM

This phone is everything I expected it to be. It's fast and the screen is amazing. There are a couple of small hitches with the way the OS works but overall this phone beats anything I've used before. It stomps my iPhone. I can't wait to see the new iPhone to compare the two.

As far as battery life goes, I have been using the phone today since 11 am. I still have 30% life at 7 pm, and have been on this almost constantly. Using camera, camcorder, surfing, maps... the evo literally never slows down, although I've had the browser crash twice on me. Still though, its excellent.

Seems like what you are experiencing is pretty standard for Smartphones. Hope you like your Evo though. I still haven't gotten my Incredible yet largely because it was on back order...I didn't preorder it obviously.

Are you in SA? I don't know if the 4G service is good there...which is why I'm asking. I've heard that since the 4G network is still young, it has spotty service and isn't as good as it could be yet.

Also, another question...How do you like the screen size? I ask because I actually like the semi-smaller screens on phones because I don't like the bulkier ones. I never liked Palm Pilots, for instance. Either way, the Evo seems to be the smartphone to go to now. If it was on Verizon I would have gotten it...couldn't afford to wait for the Droid Shadow though.

Cry Havoc
06-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Seems like what you are experiencing is pretty standard for Smartphones. Hope you like your Evo though. I still haven't gotten my Incredible yet largely because it was on back order...I didn't preorder it obviously.

Are you in SA? I don't know if the 4G service is good there...which is why I'm asking. I've heard that since the 4G network is still young, it has spotty service and isn't as good as it could be yet.

Also, another question...How do you like the screen size? I ask because I actually like the semi-smaller screens on phones because I don't like the bulkier ones. I never liked Palm Pilots, for instance. Either way, the Evo seems to be the smartphone to go to now. If it was on Verizon I would have gotten it...couldn't afford to wait for the Droid Shadow though.

Let me respond firstly by saying that THE most important factor with the Evo is the screen. It sounds kind of shallow, but the 4.3 inch screen is far more than just something that looks pretty. Webpages look better, more fits on the screen comfortably... and most importantly of all, you can TYPE on this phone. It's incredible how accurate I am when texting a friend of mine or typing in a web address. The screen alone for me is something the new iPhone, which has a 3.1" display, is going to be unable to match.

The Evo fits extremely comfortably in my pocket because it's extremely thin, but it doesn't feel flimsy. I like the weight and heft of the phone.... it's extremely comfortable to type on during long conversations (I downloaded Meebo IM to use with AIM/MSN/Facebook/Gchat).

The Incredible looks like an awesome phone too.... also something I would probably get before the iPhone. Screen size does really make all the difference in the world when you're typing or looking at webpages.

I don't live in San Antonio, actually I just moved to the Washington DC Metro area. The 4G around here is spotty but growing, but even the 3G is blazingly fast most of the time.

EDIT: I can barely get a 4G signal at my house, but it's so weak it doesn't merit using in place of 3G for now.

ShoogarBear
06-06-2010, 06:12 PM
IraQfhlMwi4

ShoogarBear
06-06-2010, 06:18 PM

Me likey. Still learning my way around Android, but Sense makes things a lot easier on Android n00bs.

The typing I will probably eventually get used to, but the autocompletion is what really saves it.

My battery seems to have been around 10 hrs yesterday, but I'm trying to condition it.

Most of my time now is spent trying to figure out the which are the best apps for essential needs (like backups). Again, some of the Sense stuff like the Exchange integration is good enough that I don't need third party programs, at least for the time being.

I really can't wait until the 2.2 update. Then I think this thing will really be smoking.

Fpoonsie
06-06-2010, 08:40 PM
I messed around with some of the "Scenes" today. Pretty cool. Stuck w/ the Sprint Sense, though. All the bells and whistles on this thing are a blast...if it weren't for the battery, I'd waste even more time.

Downloaded the Seeds of Life Live Wallpaper today. If you haven't seen it, it's hilarious.

fraga
06-06-2010, 09:08 PM
If you haven't already...I would definitely hit the forums...they usually are the first to know on how to prolong battery life...tips...tricks...that's what I did when I got my HTC Hero...made a huge difference...

Sisk
06-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Well, I guess we'll know what this new iPhone has to offer tomorrow

Chief
06-18-2010, 07:29 AM
Thanks everyone for their recomendations, I went ahead and got the Blackberry Bold 9000. I like the look, Love that it has gsm as well as 3G, 2mpx camera, wifi access, cost roughly $300 on amazon. Cant wait to use it !

fraga
06-18-2010, 10:18 AM
^^Aaaah..I see you chose wrong then...

Chief
06-18-2010, 11:15 AM
^^Aaaah..I see you chose wrong then...

y ?

Sisk
06-18-2010, 11:39 AM
y ?

:reading

Drachen