PDA

View Full Version : Roger Mason and R.C. Buford on 1250 the Zone Today!

spurs_2108
05-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Roger comes on at 4:05 CST. And R.C. will be on around 5:05 CST.

To stream online. http://www.1250zone.com/

4>0rings
05-11-2010, 03:53 PM
Why are they putting that clown Mason on the air, hopefully hes packed his bags already.

scottspurs
05-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Is Mason just saying goodbye?

TheProfessor
05-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Roger.

TIMMYD!
05-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Is Mason just saying goodbye?

Hopefully.

LakerHater
05-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Why Mason?

timvp
05-11-2010, 04:09 PM
RMJ basically just said he's not coming back.

Good news.

LakerHater
05-11-2010, 04:09 PM
What did he call Roger a fan favorite??

EricB
05-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Yuck...

EricB
05-11-2010, 04:10 PM

Those people are clowns. Same jackasses who love people like Terrell Owens and Alvin Robertson...

rjv
05-11-2010, 04:11 PM
they should have asked him when the last time he made a shot was.

objective
05-11-2010, 04:15 PM
their site doesn't have an 'email the show' option? lame.

Somebody please ask them to ask RC if he and Pop are going to go to Spain to visit Splitter personally, or if they're just going to relax in SA while Splitter gets courted by the rest of Europe and makes up his mind.

Borosai
05-11-2010, 04:17 PM

Good news.

Yes it is.

rjv
05-11-2010, 04:17 PM
RC spends an awful lot of time in europe as it is and i am sure will be there very soon not just to speak to splitter's agent but also to check on the other players we have the rights to.

EricB
05-11-2010, 04:18 PM

Somebody please ask them to ask RC if he and Pop are going to go to Spain to visit Splitter personally, or if they're just going to relax in SA while Splitter gets courted by the rest of Europe and makes up his mind.

:lol he wouldn't answer that.

spurs_2108
05-11-2010, 04:19 PM

call the show. 656 ESPN I believe.

objective
05-11-2010, 04:20 PM
RC spends an awful lot of time in europe as it is and i am sure will be there very soon not just to speak to splitter's agent but also to check on the other players we have the rights to.

he stayed stateside the last time Splitter was making his mind up.

If Pop can fly all over and trek through mountains to personally visit Rasho, and can go out of his way after a game to fly quickly to court Damon Stoudamire of all people, then these guys need to camp out near Tiago until something happens.

Stringer_Bell
05-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Caught the end of it, RMJ was a hero that turned into a zero...sorry, but these guys are crazy if they think him chucking up crap shots that turn into fast breaks for the other team is worth keeping around.

He should have never bitched about minutes.

objective
05-11-2010, 04:21 PM
call the show. 656 ESPN I believe.

i could email, but not call today. I can't even listen.

I just hope it's not the usual retarded questions the local media asks RC when he's on.

spurs_2108
05-11-2010, 04:22 PM
^ Try to facebook them? http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=44957472204&ref=ts

crc21209
05-11-2010, 04:51 PM

Good news.

GREAT news. :tu

mexicanjunior
05-11-2010, 04:59 PM

Good news.

Cool... :tu

SenorSpur
05-11-2010, 05:08 PM
The sooner the better.

Good riddance, Rog.

ElNono
05-11-2010, 05:13 PM

Good news.

Awesome. Did he mention if he's going to try out for the Toros?

timvp
05-11-2010, 05:17 PM
What did RC say?

baseline bum
05-11-2010, 05:20 PM
I really liked Roger, but he stopped performing and shouldn't have been getting any minutes in the playoffs. I bet he'll have a strong bounce-back season playing for a lottery team though.

Libri
05-11-2010, 05:40 PM

Good news.

http://www.gifflix.com/files/676dfb5aa5f3.gif

SenorSpur
05-11-2010, 05:44 PM
What did RC say?

RC didn't say a whole helluva lot. He mostly answered questions in his usual measured manner. Here are a few brief nuggets:

Regarding TP and whether a subsequent extension would be forthcoming:

RC stated that TP's extension wouldn't be the focus over the summer. The immediate focus would be improving the team. Because TP has an expiring contract, along with RJ, he is sure that would generate interest by some teams. While he has no plans of trading TP, he knows the phone would ring and that the FO would answer the call and listen.

When asked about expectations of Tiago Splitter:

Because he's not played a minute against NBA competition, no one knows what he's capable of. He simply wanted to caution folks not to overhype his arrival, because while he's a talented player, he's unproven at the NBA level. He simply doesn't want people to make him out to be something that he's not.

On the play of Richard Jefferson:

RC stated that he thought RJ got too much of a bad rap for the Spurs overall performance this past season. Everybody knows that new free agents tend to struggle in their first year. He fully expects to see the second year surge that we normally see from other new Spur players, who enter their second season.

On whether the FO had been given the green light by Holt to continue the strategy of exceeding luxury tax territory, in pursuit of a championship:

RC stated part of the difficulty is that no one can forecast the future economic landscape of the NBA, nor do they know what the team budget will be for next year. Because of those factors,, he really doesn't know what opportunities will be presented. Until that time, it's difficult to predict what direction they will move in.

On whether signing Splitter and securing their 1st round pick (#20) in the NBA draft would constitute all of the necessary offseason tweaks needed for the Spurs to contend in the Western Conference:

RC reaffirmed their "desire to have Splitter for next year". As for the first round pick, Buford stated "if a young player we like is there, we'll move forward on him. If not, we'll seek other ways to improve the team if the moves are right."

baseline bum
05-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Sounds like the Spurs are fully committed to letting Jefferson's deal expire and come off the books next summer as opposed to trading it.

Tpark da Clown
05-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Those people are clowns. Same jackasses who love people like Terrell Owens and Alvin Robertson...

:rolleyes

Shastafarian
05-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Sounds like the Spurs are fully committed to letting Jefferson's deal expire and come off the books next summer as opposed to trading it.

A lot can happen between now and the deadline.

romsho
05-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Damn, you people are harsh. Mason didn't try to suck, he just did. He had his moments in 08-09, but he just obviously lost his confidence and his shot. He's not a bad guy- just a crappy basketball player. Let him go peacefully.

gatoloco
05-11-2010, 05:59 PM

i'm sure Holt is salivating at the thought of getting the 16 million off the books as you say, but if the right player is on the table...i'm sure they'd pull the trigger...at least i sure hope they would.

who knows what will be up for grabs come trade deadline.

I sure hope RJ does take his game to another level of consistency though...(consistently good i mean :lol) and at least gives the Spurs options...

Thompson
05-11-2010, 06:02 PM
I think some are upset with Roger for complaining about his minutes (though Bruce said at some point he wasn't the main problem, implying it was Finley I think). I wish Roger had worked out, he seems like a really cool guy. It's depressing to think about how great he was for us last year vs. how badly he played this year.

God bless, Roger. Hope you can make a comeback somewhere and regain your form (unless you're playing us, of course).

NFGIII
05-11-2010, 06:03 PM

Hope not. Personally I hope that the Spurs can deal him by the trading deadline and either get draft pick(s) or a player(s) or a combo of both. Some cash thrown in to sweeten the deal wouldn't be bad either. If the Spurs let the deal expire then he is a UFA and can walk without any compensation to the Spurs. But then again if RJ does have that 2nd year surge - which I think he wont because I feel that our system isn't suited fo his game - the Spurs may want to resign him. To me it seemed that RC was just being diplomatic and not taking a stance about RJ at this moment. But I bet you they will be listenting to any and all offers for RJ services.

Letting him walk for nothing isn't a good prospect. Even if he can't or the FO won't trade him by the trade deadline at least try to get something.

MannyIsGod
05-11-2010, 06:08 PM
I don't know what he possibly could have said that would have given people the indication they aren't open to trading his deal and why people would take that at face value.

DPG21920
05-11-2010, 06:08 PM
What did Mason say exactly?

SenorSpur
05-11-2010, 06:12 PM
ESPN 1250 is replaying the RMJ interview right now!

MaNu4Tres
05-11-2010, 06:13 PM
I wonder if he"ll continue wearing the brace for his sprained pinky next year so he can continue having an excuse for being absolutely pathetic.

gatoloco
05-11-2010, 06:17 PM
I don't know what he possibly could have said that would have given people the indication they aren't open to trading his deal and why people would take that at face value.

must be this quote...

On whether the FO had been given the green light by Holt to continue the strategy of exceeding luxury tax territory, in pursuit of a championship:

RC stated part of the difficulty is that no one can forecast the future economic landscape of the NBA, nor do they know what the team budget will be for next year. Because of those factors,, he really doesn't know what opportunities will be presented. Until that time, it's difficult to predict what direction they will move in.

you want R.C. to say, we are going to do what it takes to give the Spurs the best chance to win more titles in the Tim Duncan era.

instead he says, we're gonna wait and see, figure out our budget and the climate and go from there.

which can be interpreted as, if we are cash strapped, we will be very happy to let his contract expire and clear the books. if we are not, we'll see what opportunities are there.

but agreed that it is silly to expect definitives from the CIA spurs...at anytime really, but especially in May, just after the season...

Bender
05-11-2010, 06:40 PM
I didn't catch any of it, so thanks for the recap Senor!

ElNono
05-11-2010, 06:43 PM
RC didn't say a whole helluva lot. He mostly answered questions in his usual measured manner. Here are a few brief nuggets:

Regarding TP and whether a subsequent extension would be forthcoming:

RC stated that TP's extension wouldn't be the focus over the summer. The immediate focus would be improving the team. Because TP has an expiring contract, along with RJ, he is sure that would generate interest by some teams. While he has no plans of trading TP, he knows the phone would ring and that the FO would answer the call and listen.

Because he's not played a minute against NBA competition, no one knows what he's capable of. He simply wanted to caution folks not to overhype his arrival, because while he's a talented player, he's unproven at the NBA level. He simply doesn't want people to make him out to be something that he's not.

RC stated that he thought RJ got too much of a bad rap for the Spurs overall performance this past season. Everybody knows that new free agents tend to struggle in their first year. He fully expects to see the second year surge that we normally see from other new Spur players, who enter their second season.

On whether signing Splitter and securing their 1st round pick (#20) in the NBA draft would constitute all of the necessary offseason tweaks needed for the Spurs to contend in the Western Conference:

RC reaffirmed their "desire to have Splitter for next year". As for the first round pick, Buford stated "if a young player we like is there, we'll move forward on him. If not, we'll seek other ways to improve the team if the moves are right."

thanks

Blackjack
05-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Thanks, SenorSpur. :tu

dbestpro
05-11-2010, 07:42 PM

RMJ was a fan favorite before Pop tried to make him a point guard and blew him up as a player.

DesignatedT
05-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Im not worried about Jefferson. I am worried about re forming the bench and getting a quality big man to put next to duncan. those should be the priorities. By getting rid of RJ doesn't necessarily mean we will be a better team. We need some shooters off the bench and splitter would be nice.

DesignatedT
05-11-2010, 07:44 PM
RMJ was a fan favorite before Pop tried to make him a point guard and blew him up as a player.

oh yeah. its pop's fault :lmao

Russ
05-11-2010, 08:00 PM
The Spurs are so classy they put the GM on the air with the exiled player to administer the "feel good" send off. :lol

Russ
05-11-2010, 08:15 PM

Pure disinformation. Splitter is God (the way Scola never was or could be).

Book it. :)

Biggems
05-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Mason is a solid dude, unfortunately, he lost his shot and never found it. I think a change of scenery and playing styles will do wonders for his game. I think he should try to get with PHX, OKC, Charlotte, NJ, or even Orlando.

HarlemHeat37
05-11-2010, 08:35 PM
After reading that, it adds to my belief that the Spurs aren't going to draft a first-round contributor this Summer..it's going to be stashed or traded IMO..

bigzak25
05-11-2010, 08:41 PM
After reading that, it adds to my belief that the Spurs aren't going to draft a first-round contributor this Summer..it's going to be stashed or traded IMO..

did you get that feeling too? :lol

i can only hope it's because they'd rather trade the pick for an immediate contributor to the championship puzzle as opposed to drafting the rookie they anticipate being there at 20 that would most likely need at least a year of grooming, per Pop's rookie template.

if it's simply an anticipated financial move to avoid guaranteed salary, well that sucks.

4>0rings
05-11-2010, 08:42 PM
20th pick never turned out well anyways.

Ocotillo
05-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Spurs have had a history of trading away first round draft picks if they did not like who was left on the board for them rather than taking on guaranteed salary.

K-State Spur
05-11-2010, 09:17 PM
he stayed stateside the last time Splitter was making his mind up.

indeed, that was the clincher. he was going to turn down more money in europe and being near his ill sister (who received treatment in Spain) because if only he had gotten to see RC's smiling face in person...

the difference now is that we're not bound by the rookie minimum and his sister has - sadly and unfortunately - passed on.

K-State Spur
05-11-2010, 09:22 PM

because we always do what we hint at?

SenorSpur
05-11-2010, 09:26 PM

They'd better. This is a very deep draft that contains a plethora of SF options. The 20th pick is also their highest pick since the Duncan draft. They desparately need a SF.

This is no time for them to continue employing the "draft-n-stash" strategy. The Spurs are no longer a perennial championship contender, so that strategy is dead. They need better components.

Getting a young, athletic forward, with a good perimeter shot, who can defend is vital toward the immediate improvement of their roster. Such a player can be groomed to assume the starting role when RJ leaves. The only way to do this is incorporating now - not two years from now.

pawe
05-11-2010, 09:48 PM
I loved RMJ as a Spur but when he complained about his playing time, I thought it was such a bitch move. Earn it, don't demand it, Roger!
I just wish he wont be another Spur killer.

Spursmania
05-11-2010, 10:26 PM
Awesome. Did he mention if he's going to try out for the Toros?

:lol

Agloco
05-11-2010, 10:47 PM

:depressed:depressed:depressed

Just like we saw from Bonner and Mason no doubt. Doesn't much matter if the Spurs don't pick up a big who can rebound and block some shots.

NFGIII
05-11-2010, 10:49 PM
I loved RMJ as a Spur but when he complained about his playing time, I thought it was such a bitch move. Earn it, don't demand it, Roger!
I just wish he wont be another Spur killer.

I know what you mean but his play this year was a Spur killer! :D

The Truth #6
05-11-2010, 11:38 PM
Given our lack of depth I'm pretty sure we could use a player with our pick. If we trade our pick I could see it being in a package which would mean someone on the team might be moved.

OR, they want to resign Bonner because everyone knows that it takes five years to really master the System.

dbestpro
05-11-2010, 11:42 PM
oh yeah. its pop's fault :lmao

Still wearing those pop colored glasses, huh?

EricB
05-11-2010, 11:53 PM
Yeah Pop made him miss those countless amounts of wide open shots :lol

Unreal.

DesignatedT
05-11-2010, 11:56 PM

Like he didn't give Mason plenty of chances??

and trying him at point guard over a year ago made mason lose his shooting touch...

:lmao give it up man.

MaNu4Tres
05-12-2010, 12:09 AM

I never tend to agree with you...

And it only continues..

Timmy
05-12-2010, 12:26 AM
RMJ is a good player.of course,i dont understand what happende this season for him,last season without tp and manu,he actualy did everything?: shooting the big shot,defending the fisrt role and so on

bless ,RMJ, get a good job!

i'll miss you

Cane
05-12-2010, 12:31 AM
Mason Jr. had a bad ass highlight last season where he sank the game winning 3 @ PHX on X-mas day. Its really no wonder that the Suns fans have rejoiced their sweeping of the Spurs.

RMJ is little more than a shooting scrub and his weaknesses were on display in the Spurs first round exit last year against the Mavs...and its been downhill ever since.

Seemed like an all right guy with comments like he wanted to retire in SA but then he threw that reputation out the window when he complained about minutes and wanting a trade. Shame that Miami's second rounder expired before it was made a reality.

Time to find another player that can actually hit open shots!

TDMVPDPOY
05-12-2010, 01:37 AM
simply it was a contract year for him and he sucked...

bbarry
05-12-2010, 01:55 AM
Who is this Roger Mason? Someone splain it to me.

D. Nile
05-12-2010, 01:57 AM
Roger Mason jr.?

Shizz, I don't know how the Spurs manage to win the way the dae with this fanny flap on board. The chap might find more success on his shot if he gave it a go with his foot. Thou don't believe he could be any worse. That lad's bollocks hae shriveled up into his lower intestine and turned to shizz. Mint riddance to him whenever the Spurs' season ends. Blinking poofter.

Toodle pip!

ploto
05-12-2010, 01:59 AM
In other words:

Lower the perceived value of Splitter so that fans will not be so disappointed in case he does not come.

Support the notion that Jefferson will be better next year so that fans will not be disappointed in case he is not traded.

Discuss the value of Parker's expiring contract so that fans will not be so upset in case he is traded and/or he does not get an extension.

D. Nile
05-12-2010, 02:37 AM
Oi, I'd asked Buford how much heavier or lighter a fools gold Larry O'Brien weighs. Thou wonders if they knew it was fools gold or not and if not getting a certificate of authentication gave em pause. Did they collywobbles that they would be treated differently? I'd fancy to know how they handled that as an organisation.

Toodle pip!