PDA

View Full Version : Spurs already have a 6'8 Long SF....

El_Mago
05-12-2010, 12:51 AM
....I just don't know how good Viktor Sanikidze is?!?!

The Spurs traded for him in 2004. At the time he was a young kid (18 I believe) who had ton's of potential, but needed experience, muscle, and a bit more skill.

He's now 24 and playing for Virtus Bologna in Italy I believe. He's been over here in SA quite a bit of times and even played in our Summer League two years ago where he scored 15 points in a game, and was never heard of again.

Any thoughts? Chances?

Here is a video of him on youtube. I like the way he attacks the basket, finishes, and hustles. He has a weird looking shot though.

Watch the entirety and you will see him bring down the court via a massive dunk.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaG1D7PH_AA

MannyIsGod
05-12-2010, 12:54 AM
The search button is your friend. Spurs fans have been jizzing over this guy forever but I don't see it happening.

DesignatedT
05-12-2010, 12:56 AM
I know we still own his rights I believe, haven't heard anything about him though.

Kori Ellis
05-12-2010, 12:58 AM
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Viktor-Sanikidze/179472732235

El_Mago
05-12-2010, 12:59 AM
Why don't you see it happening?

I mean, the kid was super young when we drafted him and the Spurs truly did not have a need for him while he was developing.

It appears as if they let him grow throughout the Euro League, and now he's (or was) playing on a decent team and against good competition - Virtus Bologna.

At the very least it would be great to see him in the Summer League.

He definitely appears to have what we are missing. Length, athleticism, penetration, and hustle.

Ditty
05-12-2010, 01:00 AM
i talked to him on facebook like 2 months ago and asked him if he was coming but of course gave me the answer "Haven't heard of anything hopefully something happens this summer"

El_Mago
05-12-2010, 01:02 AM
Hmmmm.

Real Madird? Another Euro powerhouse.

Another sign that his game has improved by leaps and bounds.

Maybe he will spend another year over and Europe. Maybe he'll never sign here.

Who knows?!?!

Ditty
05-12-2010, 01:03 AM
he was picked one pick before trevor ariza thats how i remember him really

TDMVPDPOY
05-12-2010, 01:17 AM
the only reason those other euro clubs want to sign him, that 500k payout is nice

ploto
05-12-2010, 02:15 AM
From January 2010:

I have a 2+1 years contract, with an NBA escape clause at the end of the second year. I feel really good here in Bologna… Seriously, I really like this place and this organization, a club with such history, it was my dream to come here, so as of now I see my future here, I would not leave even for top Euroleague teams such as Barcelona or Real Madrid, I don’t feel there is a huge difference with Virtus. I would only leave for the NBA.

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/01/22/an-interview-with-viktor-sanikidze/

So I think he has a buy out in 2011.

NZ Spurs
05-12-2010, 07:48 AM
Did anyone else think this thread was going to be about James Gist?

L.I.T
05-12-2010, 08:10 AM
And now it truly is the offseason. We have our first Sanikidze thread.

I'm eagerly awaiting the first Gist! and Javtokas threads; unless I've missed them already.

wildbill2u
05-12-2010, 08:58 AM
Don't think he has progressed as much as needed to play in NBA.

redskinfan
05-12-2010, 09:12 AM
This dude looks he glides when he goes for dunks and is kind of impressive, who knows maybe he finally gets some run with the Spurs..

JonNOKC
05-12-2010, 10:11 AM
and maybe we could bring over Robertas Javtokas :lol - obviously there is lot of talk about Splitter but anybody no the whereabouts, any info, or if we own rights of the following guys:

De Colo (know we have rights but chances of him coming over - when?)
Romain Sato (know he payed college ball at Xavier, last heard in Europe)
Sergei Karaulov
Damir Markota (edit: forgot we traded this pick for future pick)
Giorgos Printezis

Bottom line - we have gotten nothing from the Euro/foriegn plan since Manu from 1999 draft - the guys who have come to fruition (see Scola, Dragic, Barbosa) have done so for other teams - would be nice to see some results whether new guy coming over this year or Ian actually becoming a contributor - I know most these guys were late picks but you think we could hit on one that we don't send to a division/conference rival

bigdog
05-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Romain Sato spent a year with the Spurs (I think), but never played and he was released. Damir Markota was traded to the Bucks after he was drafted and has since returned to playing overseas.

bus driver
05-12-2010, 11:35 AM
he already looks better than mason and bonner maybe we can traded them to europe for him :rollin

eisfeld
05-12-2010, 11:41 AM
I saw him play in 2009 in the Eurochallenge and he's definitely not NBA Material right now and I doubt he'll ever be. He could be a nice DLeague player with his potential right now. He's too skinny and seems lost on offense. Maybe I can get a hold on the tape of the game to give further insight.

CosmicCowboy
05-12-2010, 12:17 PM
With the recent drop in the Euro the NBA salary could be a little more attractive to him.

Ditty
05-12-2010, 01:00 PM
aint romain sato one of the best players in europe and said he wants to play in the nba?

ploto
05-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Giorgos Printezis

Traded to Raptors

senorglory
05-12-2010, 03:33 PM
And now it truly is the offseason. We have our first Sanikidze thread.

I'm eagerly awaiting the first Gist! and Javtokas threads; unless I've missed them already.

Cue KillBillPana with the greek player update.

senorglory
05-12-2010, 03:39 PM
It's very cool that he responds to fans directly via facebook.

mogrovejo
05-12-2010, 04:28 PM
aint romain sato one of the best players in europe and said he wants to play in the nba?

Sato is a NBA quality player. Good defensive wing backup for some team.

Sanikidze isn't NBA material.

objective
05-17-2010, 12:35 PM
I've seen lost of VS at different levels and I think he could be a useful NBA role-player.

He doesn't need the ball to affect games and plays with a passion that would translate well to the NBA.

biziofromdowntown
05-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Not a NBA level player. I saw him 2 weeks ago.

admiralsnackbar
05-17-2010, 12:52 PM

“Romain has always wanted to play in the NBA,” his agent Sam Goldfeder told us. For him the issue is playing. He is not interested to come to the NBA to sit.”

Sato told us something similar, via email. “Minutes and my role on a team are my main objective. I want to be on the court to contribute. Here in Europe I have a chance to play and improve my game every day. I'm looking for the same thing in the league.”

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Romain-Sato-5195/

I was really high on this kid after watching a Spurs exhibition game where he played some inspired D and hit some big shots over Bowen. IIRC, we cut him for Dion Glover, who was behind Manu and Barry. Shame.

Bob Lanier
05-17-2010, 02:07 PM
I assumed you were talking about Matt Bonner here.

NFGIII
05-17-2010, 02:26 PM
I really don't know if he is or isn't NBA quality but watching the Spurs FO over the years I'm willing to bet that he doesn't come over. If by now he is still too skinny then that would show his lack of committment and this is a red flag to the FO. Maybe he can't bulk up enough to be effective in the NBA and if so then isn't qualified to be given a shot at it.

He played in the summer league a couple of years ago and for whatever reason wasn't invited to training camp.IIRC If not invited due to injury is one thing but if that wasn't the case then this would be another sign that the FO wasn't all that high on him. By now shouldn't he at least be at a level to be considered for training camp or did he sign a Euro contract excluding him from doing so? That is too high a buyout now but would be significantly reduced in future years.

Just saying I don't think he will ever be here. Time to draft a good SF with our 20# and move on. Pondexter/George/Rinbinson are the three best choices that might be available to the Spurs. IMHO

Maddog
05-17-2010, 03:03 PM
“Romain has always wanted to play in the NBA,” his agent Sam Goldfeder told us. For him the issue is playing. He is not interested to come to the NBA to sit.”

Sato told us something similar, via email. “Minutes and my role on a team are my main objective. I want to be on the court to contribute. Here in Europe I have a chance to play and improve my game every day. I'm looking for the same thing in the league.”

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Romain-Sato-5195/

I was really high on this kid after watching a Spurs exhibition game where he played some inspired D and hit some big shots over Bowen. IIRC, we cut him for Dion Glover, who was behind Manu and Barry. Shame.
Cut by the Spurs to make room for Nazr in 04/05 Never got in a regular season game. Nobody was interested in picking him up.
Played for the Suns in summer league in 2006 no one seemed reall interested in giving him a decent offer.
Despite being listed at 6'5" measured at 6'2" (although very long arms) and couldn't dribble.

nick23
05-29-2010, 07:43 AM
he had excellent season in Italy . He was most highlight player !
[URL="http://195.56.77.208/player/?id=SAN-
http://195.56.77.208/player/?id=SAN-VIK-86&year=2009&team=1179 here is hes stats. in playoff games he done everything

http://www.legabaskettv.it/watch/d9fcb6867c7bdc89be7e/Ngc-Cantù-Canadian-Solar-Bo here is Playoff second game Highlights

m33p0
05-29-2010, 04:26 PM
thought it was going to be a Gist/White thread

05-29-2010, 04:27 PM
technically, his name is richard jefferson.

ShoogarBear
05-29-2010, 05:35 PM
I assumed you were talking about Matt Bonner here.

that would have been SG.