PDA

View Full Version : BP's Plan B: Golf balls and shredded tires

DMX7
05-12-2010, 01:21 AM
BILOXI, Miss. -- Golf balls and shredded tires may be the latest solution to stop a leak spewing crude into the Gulf, a top Coast Guard official said Sunday morning.

"The next tactic is going to be something they call a junk shot,'' U.S. Coast Guard Commandant Thad Allen said on Face the Nation,.

"They're actually going to take a bunch of debris, shredded up tires, golf balls and things like that and under very high pressure shoot it into the preventer itself and see if they can clog it up and stop the leak,'' Allen said. The concept is not as ``exotic'' and Allen cautioned there were difficulties with that plan as well.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/09/1620841/with-dome-setback-solution-may.html#ixzz0nh3xNo2j

Nbadan
05-12-2010, 01:48 AM
I kinda was liking the nuke idea....

LnGrrrR
05-12-2010, 04:12 AM
And I thought Biloxi sucked BEFORE this... yeesh.

So glad I'm in Hawaii.

Winehole23
05-12-2010, 05:18 AM
The fishery could be fucked. Louisiana supplies, like, 20% of the domestic seafood market. It could hurt Texas too. Economically, this could end up being much worse than Katrina in the long run.

In Hawaii, you're fine LNGR, but in Texas I might be fucked.

Winehole23
05-12-2010, 05:22 AM
In Louisiana, they're definitely fucked.

Drachen
05-12-2010, 08:42 AM
... heh heh .... junk shot.

Wild Cobra
05-12-2010, 10:12 PM
Seems stupid to me. If they can get inside the pipe with any reliability, I would thing they could make a proper plug to fit. Once inserted, expands.

Wild Cobra
05-12-2010, 10:16 PM
I kinda was liking the nuke idea....
If they could drop a small nuke set off to go at maybe 7,000 feet, it could be a winner.

Wild Cobra
05-12-2010, 10:17 PM
And I thought Biloxi sucked BEFORE this... yeesh.

So glad I'm in Hawaii.
What's it like being on the tallest mountain range in the world?

LnGrrrR
05-13-2010, 03:35 AM
The fishery could be fucked. Louisiana supplies, like, 20% of the domestic seafood market. It could hurt Texas too. Economically, this could end up being much worse than Katrina in the long run.

In Hawaii, you're fine LNGR, but in Texas I might be fucked.

Maybe you should think about moving here? It's quite nice. :lol

It may be much worse economically, but emotionally nothing will top Katrina.

LnGrrrR
05-13-2010, 03:37 AM
What's it like being on the tallest mountain range in the world?

It'a AMAZING WC.

Growing up in Massachusetts/NH, I was used to having mountains nearby. I love hiking. Not so much of that down south, of course.

Every morning here I wake up, the weather is great, I get picturesque views of the mountains in the background... I can't quite describe how nice it is.

I feel blessed (in the secular sense) to get stationed here, really. Life has been good to me.