PDA

View Full Version : LeBron’s moment of truth awaits

usdane
05-12-2010, 04:02 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AuPj6UsYuOgL8rQcHc8btzq8vLYF?slug=aw-lebroncavs051210

Adrian Wojnarowski (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/expertsarchive;_ylt=AvA9ct7PnG13Yk85i_oaYHLTjdIF?a uthor=Adrian+Wojnarowski), Yahoo! Sports

CLEVELAND – This isn’t important enough to LeBron James (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3704/;_ylt=AjHzEpkupSgQYk5na6Eug6zTjdIF)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3704/news;_ylt=Apmm0mrjUktYZaviZ2Ve6ibTjdIF). That’s the uncompromising, unconquerable truth. Everything has come too easy to him, and he still doesn’t believe that winning championships takes a consuming, obsessive desire that borders on the maniacal. He is chasing high school and college kids on recruiting trips for his fledgling marketing company, medicating his insecurities with unending and unfolding free-agent dramas.

James is chasing Warren Buffett and Jay-Z the way he should be chasing Russell and Jordan and Bryant. He wants CEOs to bow before him, engage him as though he is a contemporary on the frontlines of industry. Only, the truth of the matter is, he’s a singular talent who’s going to watch his playoff failures start to chip away at the thing that seems to matter most to him: his marketability and magnetism.

Most of all, James is forever selling something of himself – an ideal, an image, a possibility. Something nebulous, something promised. He’s chasing a global platform, the bright, blinking billion-dollar fortune, and he’s largely gotten the natural order of things backward.

Stop strutting, stop preening, stop stomping away as an ungracious winner, a sore loser, and win something, LeBron.

Win something now.

No more excuses. Not now, not after this biblical bottoming out that pushes the Cleveland Cavaliers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/cle/;_ylt=Apmy0hT_9VUBqh2qdQNCAZvTjdIF) to the brink of an unthinkable collapse. And yet, after Tuesday’s ferocious failure of his professional career, the encompassing embarrassment of a 120-88 Game 5 loss to the Boston Celtics (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/bos/;_ylt=AuCN3lEzq_r.sG6IjsNHz6rTjdIF), James dismissed his unthinkably poor performance with this colossal cop-out: “I spoil a lot of people with my play. When you have three bad games in seven years, it’s easy to point them out.”

Who is he to be indignant after he gave a playoff game away? What’s he ever won to be so smug to the masses? That’s what drives the Celtics crazy about James. Eventually, he will understand his greatness isn’t measured on the hit-and-runs through NBA cities across a long season. It’s measured now, in the teeth of the battle, when a tiny guard, Rajon Rondo (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4149/;_ylt=ArefNMhFdH61Cm05nd4L7tbTjdIF)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4149/news;_ylt=AkiYSz51W7pU4XsuiO7QsN_TjdIF), has stolen his stage and nearly a series.

Somewhere, the whispers of the game’s greatest talents became a murmur louder and louder: James still doesn’t understand part of the price of greatness is inviting the burden on yourself and sparing those around you. He missed 11 of 14 shots. James didn’t score a basket until the third quarter. He was terrible, just terrible, and yet James couldn’t bring himself to say the worst home playoff loss in franchise history began and ended with him.

For all of James’ unselfishness on the floor, he can still be so selfish off it. They could’ve lined up the greatest players in the game’s history Tuesday night in the primes of their championship lives, and there isn’t one of them who would’ve deflected and deferred like the self-proclaimed King James. They would’ve been livid and they would’ve put it on themselves. Magic Johnson and Larry Bird. Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3118/;_ylt=Ang0DAxfG.jlxLN51.2fgYjTjdIF)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3118/news;_ylt=AvjzWqMjy3QB57qXtPnhlLzTjdIF). Tim Duncan (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3173/;_ylt=Aj49_lFF.9L9CxkulNB_O37TjdIF)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3173/news;_ylt=Ahq5HxPdMHNMSdlKvHVHEOXTjdIF) and, yes, Shaquille O’Neal (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/847/;_ylt=Auxw7Bn2qwPIbthmkPqdShnTjdIF)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/847/news;_ylt=Aq3lTNlPN79NvtGmYe5GZO3TjdIF).

They had titles, and they would’ve mutilated themselves for public consumption. James is too cool, too stubborn and maybe too self-unaware. This is on me, they would’ve told you, and, I’ll get us out of this. They would’ve made sure teammates and opponents, fans and enemies understood. They would’ve made sure the whole world understood: This isn’t how an MVP plays in the playoffs. This isn’t how he lets a legacy linger in limbo. What you heard out of James was self-righteous: “I put a lot of pressure on myself to go out and be great and the best player on the court. When I don’t, I feel bad for myself.”

This wasn’t the night to feel bad for himself. There’s been enough pity for him in this series. As much as anything these past two years, the Cavaliers have taken on James’ persona: Entitled, arrogant and expectant that the sheer divine right of his greatness will win them a ring. Only, the Celtics are proud, old champions arisen out of the rubble and on the brink of closing out the Cavaliers on Thursday night at the Boston Garden. No one saw this coming on Tuesday night, the surgical removal of the Cavaliers’ hearts surrounded with a stunned silence that devolved into the debris of boos.

James lorded over one of the most agonizing, humiliating losses a championship contender ever endured. So much comes with this collapse, bookended with decades of a city’s championship sports futility set against the free agency for the son it spawned in neighboring Akron.

This collapse will cost people jobs. This will change the course of the franchise. Where’s James going? And as job security goes, the CEO of British Petroleum has more going for him than Mike Brown right now. Forty feet away Tuesday night, Kentucky’s John Calipari was sitting under the basket with Leon Rose, the agent Cal shares with his buddy, LeBron.

James invites these storylines into the gymnasium, this drama, and leaves everyone else to live with the consequences. Owner Dan Gilbert has fostered a culture of permissiveness with James that hasn’t served him or the franchise.

The Cavs live in fear of him, his moods, his whims, and it’s the reason no one ever tells him the truth: Hey ’Bron, you looked childish for refusing to shake the Orlando Magic (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/orl/;_ylt=AqzQWFK5xAa_.Ycjk0X1jG7TjdIF)’s hands last season. You sounded small grumbling about criticism for your wildly up-and-down play in this series. James walked out of the Q on Tuesday night and there’s no guarantee he’ll ever return as a Cavalier here.

Yet make no mistake: James has enough around him. This team isn’t perfect, isn’t assured of beating the Los Angeles Lakers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/lal/;_ylt=AqRi2LS7vXwhhSAFSZtZm5nTjdIF), but it has no business losing in the conference semifinals – never mind failing to even compete. And, yes, as much as ever, this is on James.

He invited all this drama about walking out on his hometown team this summer, and now free agency hung over the Q like an anvil. Here’s a city that’s waited 46 years for a championship, a town that reacts viciously to the sheer suggestion that James could leave for New York this summer. These fans have been much better to James than he’s been to them. It hasn’t been the media that’s built his role in the summer of 2010 to a crescendo, but James himself. He constantly manipulated it with suggestions and hints and wink-winks to New York.

James proclaimed July 1, 2010, as the biggest day in the history of basketball, ramping up suspense of his ultimate decision: Do I stay or do I go? What it has done is throw more palpable pressure in the air, more desperation, and it’s come back to haunt him now.

James says the Cavaliers know all about what it takes, but he knows about winning in the regular season. This is a different time, a different game. Three bad games in seven years? He’s kidding himself. Now, he has a championship cast around him. Now, he’ll be judged. No one gives a damn what he did in the regular season.

Perhaps sooner than later, he’s going to get his coach fired for losing this series. Or the next to Orlando. He’s mocked Brown for acting too angry with the Game 2 thrashing, but the coach understood what James refused to acknowledge until Tuesday night: The Cavs have been wildly inconsistent in these playoffs and they’re nowhere near playing championship ball.

Across the regular season, James can play hard, let his talent take over and embark on all the side gigs that gobble his time.

This isn’t a part-time thing. Winning everything takes a single-minded, obsessive devotion. Michael Jordan had it. Kobe Bryant does, too. They didn’t want to win championships, they had to win them. They needed them for validation and identity and, later, they became moguls. LeBron James is running around recruiting college kids to his marketing company. He picks up the phone, tells them, “This is the King,” and makes his pitch to be represented in his stable. Think Kobe would ever bother with this? Or Michael? Not a chance when they were on the climb, not when they still had a fist free of rings.

LeBron James is on the clock now, and Game 6 in Boston could be for his legacy in Cleveland. He has been prancing around the edges for too long now, angling for a transcendent existence he believed his brand could bring him. Only, it’s all a mirage. It’s all vapor until he does the heavy lifting that comes now, that comes in the shadows of Magic and Larry, Michael and Kobe. This isn’t about selling an image to Madison Avenue, about pushing product through all those dazzling plays across the winter months. This is an MVP’s time, his calling, and there was LeBron James standing in the middle of the Cavaliers’ locker room at 11:25 p.m., staring in a long mirror, fixing his shirt before the long walk down the corridor to the interview room.

James stood there for five seconds and 10 and maybe now 20, just staring into the mirror, just taking a long, long look at himself. For the first time in his career, the first time when it’s all truly on him, maybe the sport stood and stared with him. All hell breaking loose, all on the line now. Forget everything in his life, all the make-believe nonsense, Game 6 and maybe Game 7 will promise to serve as the most honest hours of his basketball life.

ForeignFan
05-12-2010, 04:36 AM
Great article. What could first be viewed as immature comments due to LBJ's youth has really proved to be arrogance. I hope he proves me wrong in the future, though, otherwise this would be a waste of talent.

Ghazi
05-12-2010, 04:52 AM
Lebron/Dirk will be the greatest forward tandem of all time.

staaaacked

ginobili's bald spot
05-12-2010, 05:06 AM
Very good article.

boutons_deux
05-12-2010, 05:29 AM
We Are All Witness

quickerblade
05-12-2010, 05:42 AM
Lebron will score 50 in the next game, would be funny if cavs lose though.

Lebron lacks the passion to have a ring, he assumes it will be there for him.

redzero
05-12-2010, 05:46 AM

staaaacked

Yeah, maybe Dirk will go to New York with LeBron.

der Kaiser
05-12-2010, 06:32 AM
Does anyone think that Lebron threw the game? I read this a lot in a certain Cavaliers board and then I came across this video.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/15832/what-happened-to-lebron-james

Chillen
05-12-2010, 08:09 AM
No LeBron didn't threw the game, this is the NBA it's basketball and players on any given night can have bad shooting nights plus he has a bad elbow so that had to give him some problems. I don't know what to expect in game 6 but don't count out LeBron and the Cavaliers, though I expect the Celtics to approach this game like it's game 7 since going back to Cleveland for a game 7 would not be ideal. Though the Celtics have been the better team the whole series except for games 1 and 3.

If the Cavs lose game 6 I don't know LeBron's future plans but he should look at Chicago Bulls as a future team. LeBron, Rose, Noah is a nice big 3 and Chicago is a big market for a player like LeBron, plus they will have some $$$'s to sign him. At least if he starts off fresh with a new franchise it would take all these championship expectations off his back. With the Bulls if they got out of the 2nd round the fans would be happy, the Cavaliers fans after the Cavs got to the NBA finals have had so many high expectations, but I wonder if they lose game 6 was that their peak as a franchise with LeBron. Hmmm.

I would say he stays a Cavalier but if they lose game 6 it might seriously make him look to move on.

TimmehC
05-12-2010, 08:17 AM
I spoil a lot of people with my play. When you have three bad games in seven years, it’s easy to point them out

What a selfish asshat.

pauls931
05-12-2010, 08:18 AM

staaaacked

Isn't Dallas losing money hand over fist?

Baseline
05-12-2010, 02:23 PM
The writer of this artlicle never once mentioned that James is hurt, or injured.

He obviously is not himself, but the truth is that nobody knows how bad his injury is. I like the fact that James isn't making excuses because of his injury, which he obvioulsy could be doing.

I don't see the reasoning for all the hate on this guy. Well, other then the fact that venom sells newspapers. He's the best team basketball player the League has seen since Magic, Bird, and Jordan. He had a bad game, but he's also not at 100%.

Why So Serious
05-12-2010, 02:25 PM
^^.. who is 100% at this time of the year :lol:lol

Viva Las Espuelas
05-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Lebron lacks the passion to have a ring, he assumes it will be there for him.

:lmao he'll fit in nicely with the mavs then, if that happens. :lmao

I bet both of them are gone next year. I can see Dirk taking less pay to be on a contending team cuz he's winning nothing but fabric in Dallas.

Allanon
05-12-2010, 02:35 PM
This truly is a no excuse year.

Two straight years of 60+ win seasons and a payroll only $7 million behind the Lakers and $2 million more than the Magic... that's definitely enough talent.

Roddy Beaubois
05-12-2010, 02:38 PM
We Mavfans are 100% sure Lebron is coming here, so there was no point in me reading this article. Just ask dok.

Ghazi
05-12-2010, 02:43 PM
This truly is a no excuse year.

Two straight years of 60+ win seasons and a payroll only $7 million behind the Lakers and $2 million more than the Magic... that's definitely enough talent.

Payroll? Really?

They're paying shaq's fat ass $20million this year for christs sake.

Allanon
05-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Payroll? Really?

They're paying shaq's fat ass $20million this year for christs sake.

Shaq led the Cavs in scoring yesterday.

Not worth $20 million but he's still the 2nd best Center in the East. Dampier was paid $10 million for suiting up.

Bender
05-12-2010, 03:15 PM
“I spoil a lot of people with my play. When you have three bad games in seven years, it’s easy to point them out.”
another LBJ tidbit worthy of being added to Duck's sig

LnGrrrR
05-12-2010, 03:19 PM

Not worth $20 million but he's still the 2nd best Center in the East. Dampier was paid $10 million for suiting up.

I'd take Perk over Shaq. He is probably 3rd best though.

Ghazi
05-12-2010, 03:19 PM

Bogut says hi

boston.balla
05-12-2010, 03:23 PM
of the top of my head(sans dwight which is obvious): bogut, lopez, horford, perk, noah, gortat(it's a shame he stayed in orlando) There are probably more better suited centers for the cavs identity.

The Franchise
05-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Excellent read. This will be the first time that people actually hold the king accountable for his teams shortcomings.

Allanon
05-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Bogut says hi

Bogut's pretty good but he isn't unstoppable like Shaq nor does he have the postseason experience. Shaq is shitty on PNR's but in the paint, his fat ass is still the best defensive presence outside of Dwight.

@LNGRR Perk is underrated in the list of Centers, but as you can see in this series, he's on the pine all the time...mostly because nobody can guard Shaq 1 on 1...even at 38.

boston.balla
05-12-2010, 03:37 PM
pine or no pine, at center you gotta factor in defense and rebounding and that makes perk a clear cut winner in the comparison.

LnGrrrR
05-12-2010, 03:57 PM
@LNGRR Perk is underrated in the list of Centers, but as you can see in this series, he's on the pine all the time...mostly because nobody can guard Shaq 1 on 1...even at 38.

That's why I'd put Shaq as third, mainly for playoff basketball. I just like tthat Perkins has a shot a few steps out from the basket, that he can play more mins without being winded (usually, sometimes he seems to suffer from poor conditioning), and that against any other center in the East besides Shaq, he can hold his own. He acquitted himself quite well in last year's playoffs against Dwight, and I don't see any reason to think it will be different from last year. Dwight will get his double-double, but assuming we make it to the next round, I don't think Dwight will be picking up 20 pts a game.

JoeTait75
05-12-2010, 04:01 PM
The writer of this artlicle never once mentioned that James is hurt, or injured.

Ah yes. That torn elbow ligament which magically never shows up on an MRI.

I think LeBron has a strained inner labia. That's his "injury."

mogrovejo
05-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Shaq better than Bogut, Jamison similar to Gasol...

Definitely retarded.

Allanon
05-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Definitely stupid over-rating of Bogut.

mogrovejo
05-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Shaq shouldn't even be playing. He'd have to play but as a 3rd/4th big. Him and Z should be sharing 20 mpg or so.

Cavs offence falls off a clif when they're feeding Shaq. Mo and Jamison don't know to play off him, especially when there isn't a double - and Boston has the best post defense in the league by a large margin. Plus, they're all 3 massive defensive liabilities.

mogrovejo
05-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Definitely stupid over-rating of Bogut.

Yeah, a guy who lead his team to almost 50 wins, anchored arguably the best defense in the league and made an All-NBA team is obviously a scrub. Shaq is much better, everybody knows that.

Retard.

bostonguy
05-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Why isnt coach Brown using Hickson more? I thought they were high on this guy? Or is Mike Brown to blame here?

boston.balla
05-12-2010, 04:13 PM
That's why I'd put Shaq as third, mainly for playoff basketball. I just like tthat Perkins has a shot a few steps out from the basket, that he can play more mins without being winded (usually, sometimes he seems to suffer from poor conditioning), and that against any other center in the East besides Shaq, he can hold his own. He acquitted himself quite well in last year's playoffs against Dwight, and I don't see any reason to think it will be different from last year. Dwight will get his double-double, but assuming we make it to the next round, I don't think Dwight will be picking up 20 pts a game.

dwight will get his boards against perk but will have to work like shit to get points from anything not named putbacks. Perk is maybe the best man2man low post defender in the league and what is most underrated at him is his lowerbody strength which helps alot against guys like howard who are disproportionally grown.

Bob Lanier
05-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Shaq is shitty on PNR's but in the paint, his fat ass is still the best defensive presence outside of Dwight.

:lol

Allanon
05-12-2010, 04:20 PM
:lol

Wassup Bob.

Props on the avatar :lol even I gotta admit that was some bad stuff.

Muser
05-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Shaq best defensive presence? :lmao

BadOdor
05-12-2010, 04:32 PM

He's batting 100, per course.

lol shaq best defensive presence.

lurker
05-12-2010, 04:34 PM
After practice, he was asked why Cleveland fans, who booed him and the other Cavs during the Game 5 debacle, should be confident.

"They got me," he said.:lmao

Allanon
05-12-2010, 04:34 PM

Who's a better defensive presence than Shaq in the Playoffs?

The Gemini Method
05-12-2010, 04:36 PM
Who's a better defensive presence than Shaq in the Playoffs?

Are we talking these playoffs? Is this question even being asked?

Allanon
05-12-2010, 04:36 PM
Are we talking these playoffs? Is this question even being asked?

Yes, in these Playoffs.

Which players are a better defensive presence than Shaq in the paint?

The Gemini Method
05-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Yes, in these Playoffs.

Which players are a better defensive presence than Shaq in the paint?

I would say the only one of absolute noteriety would be Dwight Howard.

Allanon
05-12-2010, 04:42 PM
I would say the only one of absolute noteriety would be Dwight Howard.

Agreed.

The Gemini Method
05-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Agreed.

I'm not sure if I'd say Gasol > Shaq in the paint this playoff season, but he has was pretty solid in the Jazz series against Boozer and Milsap.

HarlemHeat37
05-12-2010, 05:41 PM
Shaq is a massive liability on D, this isn't arguable outside of Allanon's world..

Sure, Shaq can play 1 on 1 post defense, but who uses that against him?..teams rarely run that against Shaq, they usually look to exploit him with ball movement and p&r, since he's absolutely horrible at making any kind of defensive movement..

ducks
05-13-2010, 12:40 AM
james is not hurt
his shooting in other games were ok

he should have said I SUCKED

jdev82
05-13-2010, 09:01 AM
No LeBron didn't threw the game, this is the NBA it's basketball and players on any given night can have bad shooting nights plus he has a bad elbow so that had to give him some problems. I don't know what to expect in game 6 but don't count out LeBron and the Cavaliers, though I expect the Celtics to approach this game like it's game 7 since going back to Cleveland for a game 7 would not be ideal. Though the Celtics have been the better team the whole series except for games 1 and 3.

If the Cavs lose game 6 I don't know LeBron's future plans but he should look at Chicago Bulls as a future team. LeBron, Rose, Noah is a nice big 3 and Chicago is a big market for a player like LeBron, plus they will have some $$$'s to sign him. At least if he starts off fresh with a new franchise it would take all these championship expectations off his back. With the Bulls if they got out of the 2nd round the fans would be happy, the Cavaliers fans after the Cavs got to the NBA finals have had so many high expectations, but I wonder if they lose game 6 was that their peak as a franchise with LeBron. Hmmm.

I would say he stays a Cavalier but if they lose game 6 it might seriously make him look to move on.

threw is past tense, throw is present. he didnt THROW the game. not he didnt THREW the game. and dont give me that elbow shit. every doctor worth a dogs shit said theres nothing wrong with his elbow. he is using escapist tactics to shift blame, and i hope i speak for everyone in cleveland when i say im sick of that shit.