PDA

View Full Version : world cup for dummies, NBA style

hater
05-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Since I'm guessing most of you spurfans are bored now, I advise you to watch the world cup.

Here's a little guide for you soccer dummies NBA style

And the contenders are:
#6 Argentina - similar to San Antonio Spurs:
Argentina is a great very disciplined team with a few great players like the Spurs. They are eternal favorites and usually go far but most of the time they end up short of their goal just like the Spurs. Like the Spurs they are also composed of a number of older players that slow down their team and in the end, won't be able to keep up with the faster, younger teams. Their leader is Messi, similar to Tony Parker

http://footballteamplayers.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/messi1.jpg

#5 Germany - similar to Boston Celtics:
Germany is a team of geriatricts but they can still play. They will definitely win some games and it would not surprise if they make the semis or finals. Like the Celtics, their leaders are players past their primes and carrying injuries. Their defense is like a Berlin wall, impenetrable, like sometimes the Celtics are. They will bruise you and molest you, and they get referee preference. But they will also fall short of their goal, like the Celtics. Their leader is Michael Ballack, similar to Kevin Garnett

http://www.goalvideoz.com/images/players/83065ballack.jpg

#4 Portugal - similar to Cleveland Cavaliers:
Portugal is a team centered on their leader, Ronaldo who could be the Lebron of soccer. The most complete player and big and stong and fast enough to be a weapon vs. most defenses. He is the main man and they will go as far as he goes. If Ronaldo has a good WC, they could get to the finals, if not they could fall short. Same as Lebron's cavs.

http://www.freewebs.com/cristianoronaldopictures/cristianoronaldopic18x.jpg

#3 Spain - similar to Dallas Mavericks:
Unfortunately Spain is similar to the Mavs. They come to the tournament looking like the strongest team but most of the times end up choking to lesser teams or missing penalty shots. Their fans are also similar to mavfans in that they beleive they are superior than the rest and blame the refs if their team fails. Sadly, the Spanish team will fail similar to the mavericks this year. Their leader is Fernando Torres, similar to Dirk Nowitzki

http://www.wldcup.com/pictures/wld2006/0606/pic225.jpg

#2 Brazil - similar to Phoenix Suns
This year's Brazil team is different from other years. Just like this year's Phoenix Suns team. They are concentrating more on defense and are leaving behind the run-n-gun game (jogo bonito) They even dumped Ronaldinho from the team, because their coach Dunga wants to have a bunch of soldiers out there, same as Gentry. Dunga will put in whatever soldiers will get the job done. Could they win it all even after changing their game style? I don't think so. Their leader is Kaka, similar to Steve Nash

http://www.racingdiary.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/kaka.jpg

#1 Italy - similar to Los Angeles Lakers
The most hated team in soccer, the Italian team. They will foul, lie and cheat, do pretty much anything to win. They don't care about winning with honor or if ppl like them. They are also referee favorites and if things don't go their way, will be the first to bitch publicly. See the similarites to Lakers, even the fact that they are defending the title. I don't know why but I like Italy to at least reach the finals, mostly due to their superior players, unbeleivable defense and help from the referees. Much like I see the Lakers reaching the NBA Finals. Their leader is Buffon, the best goalkeeper in the world, similar to Kobe Bryant

http://www.gfdb.com/images%5Cpictures%5Cplayers%5Cgianluigi-buffon.jpg

Darkhorse: Ivory Coast - similar to Orlando Magic?
They are the best african team and they also have the most dominant player in the game. Didier Drogba. I don't see much similarites with the magic except that they could give any team trouble and have plenty of weapons around their main leader. They are also well coached. They are my darkhorse. So are the Magic.

http://www.topnews.in/files/Didier-Drogba_1.jpg

so you see, now you can safely watch the WC, pick a team and enjoy the summer, forget about the Spurs failures. Which team will you root for?

z0sa
05-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Can't vouch for accuracy of your opinions since I know little about soccer, but well done.

Will Hunting
05-12-2010, 11:06 AM
:lmao comparing the best soccer player in the world to Tony Parker.

jiggy_55
05-12-2010, 11:06 AM
LOL it seems you don't know too much about football dude.. Torres the leader of Spain? They have 10 other players who rank ahead of Torres as a leader..
Leo Messi like Tony Parker? Leo Messi is arguably the #1 footballer in the world right now (between him and Ronaldo).. Parker isn't even the # 1 Pg.. Their only similarity is speed..

hater
05-12-2010, 11:07 AM
relax this is not supposed to be too accurate but should help the soccer dummy spurfans be interested in soccer instead of crying in the corner about he Spurs.

TheRealCB
05-12-2010, 11:09 AM
:lmao buffon best goalkeeper in the world

ElNono
05-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Cristiano Ronaldo is WAAAAAAY overrated.

Messi is 3 years younger and already won the golden ball last year...

BTW: Deco a teammate of Ronaldo in the Portugal national team said of Messi “There’s no other like Leo. Not even Cristiano Ronaldo”

nkdlunch
05-12-2010, 12:04 PM
LMAO Spain

btw, Torres is injured and not sure if will play

kaji157
05-12-2010, 12:10 PM
I am not sure how informed you are about Soccer. But would be wise to get more information.
Argentina would be more like the Mavs than the Spurs, a lot of talented players with a so-so coach-owner that thinks that a lot of talent equals a championship. Is arguably one of the most younger rosters in the WC.

thispego
05-12-2010, 12:17 PM
SOCCER FUCKING SUCKS! Get this shit OUTTA the Spurs forum!

Bukefal
05-12-2010, 12:26 PM
nice :lol

But I think messi is more the Lebron of football
Henry is more the parker of football :)
and christiano ronaldo is the kobe bryant

Budkin
05-12-2010, 12:43 PM
The only time I watch "Football" is during the World Cup. These games are a blast and it's too bad that it never catches on here in the US, because there really is some amazing play going on.

I <3 SPURS
05-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Italy #1? Are you serious?

It goes Brazil, Spain, Portugal as the top 3 in my book and Brazil is like the Lakers, Spain as like Cavs or something and Portugal as like the Magic or something.

Anyways I'll be rooting for France and Cristiano Ronaldo of Portugal is the best! I hope he is the leading scorer when its over.

DynastySpurs210
05-12-2010, 12:49 PM
hahah i love this thread!! Go Argentina :D

englishspursfan
05-12-2010, 12:52 PM
come on england! rooney=ginobli

sonic21
05-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Only Germany, Brazil and Spain are contenders on your list (judging by the last 2 years). You forgot England.

sonic21
05-12-2010, 12:56 PM

are you saying parker is past his prime and washed up.

Penya
05-12-2010, 12:57 PM
#3 Spain - similar to Dallas Mavericks

:(

BTW, Torres will play.

Texas_Ranger
05-12-2010, 12:58 PM
And Argentina coach Maradona is so stupid as is Rick Carlisle

hater
05-12-2010, 01:05 PM
SOCCER FUCKING SUCKS! Get this shit OUTTA the Spurs forum!

this is why I got compelled to educate this dummy ass

LaEliza
05-12-2010, 01:07 PM
come on england! rooney=ginobli

Skills: Ginobili=Messi

Heart: Ginobili>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Messi

Bukefal
05-12-2010, 01:12 PM
are you saying parker is past his prime and washed up.

Noo im not saying that. I wasnt comparing them based on henry's qualities or what he is doing now, because i dont really follow henry, nor do i know his capabilities nowadays. I remember henry as a great player, and i compared them more because they are friends and both from france, it was more in a way of kidding. If i made a bad comparing, pardon me :toast

englishspursfan
05-12-2010, 01:13 PM
peter crouch =shaq?:D

rjv
05-12-2010, 01:14 PM
i'll be rooting for italy, mexico and the US but expect none of them to win.

mogrovejo
05-12-2010, 01:15 PM
Haha, nicely done. Good reading.

Criticism: Italy as #1 is plain crazy. Even worse is the Orlando Magic as the darkhorse to win the NBA title.

Plus, Deco+Pepe+Nani+Bruno Alves+Meireles+Carvalho >>>>>>>>>>> Mo+Shaq+Jamison etc and it's not even close.

I like England's team this season, in spite of their record in recent years. Actually I think they'd be the best comparison to the Magic.

My favourite to win would be Argentina, but I don't trust Maradona. I doubt he's smart enough to handle the team to Lucho Gonzales.

Bukefal
05-12-2010, 01:20 PM
I dont think England will do anything significantly, they pretty much always suck in the last years at big tournaments and i dont see them doing something else this time. They just dont have 'it'.

my favorites for winning; Argentina, brasil, Germany and maybe Spain, but Spain usually sucks. I hope holland would do something and I think they are capable of, but they often have a lack of motivation, which is very needed.

And I do think the USA will surprise.

englishspursfan
05-12-2010, 01:25 PM
I dont think England will do anything significantly, they pretty much always suck in the last years at big tournaments and i dont see them doing something else this time. They just dont have 'it'.

my favorites for winning; Argentina, brasil, Germany and maybe Spain, but Spain usually sucks. I hope holland would do something and I think they are capable of, but they often have a lack of motivation, which is very needed.

i completley agree,we have a great team on paper but we never get the full potential on the day.
but we are always contenders!

hater
05-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Isn't roonie injured?

England will have trouble scoring like usual in WC.

MmP
05-12-2010, 01:33 PM
very nice i had the same idea a few months ago but im timeless to do this.

i wouldn't put brazil as the suns. brazil somehow ends up winning and are always favorites...kinda like the spurs
argentina is really pumped up about their mini maradona, the have hopes this time they'll do better because of him unlike previous times but the thruth is they haven't won anything in 30 years

MmP
05-12-2010, 01:33 PM

i wouldn't put brazil as the suns. brazil somehow ends up winning and are always favorites...kinda like the lakers
argentina is really pumped up about their mini maradona, the have hopes this time they'll do better because of him unlike previous times but the thruth is they haven't won anything in 30 years

in2deep
05-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Cristiano Ronaldo is WAAAAAAY overrated.

Messi is 3 years younger and already won the golden ball last year...

BTW: Deco a teammate of Ronaldo in the Portugal national team said of Messi “There’s no other like Leo. Not even Cristiano Ronaldo”

it is messi who is overrated. I have yet to see him dominate an olympic/wc game.

Ronaldo singlehandedly has already taken his team to WC semis

sonic21
05-12-2010, 01:38 PM
England finally has a good coach, so we'll see. I think they can reach the SF.

englishspursfan
Isn't roonie injured?

England will have trouble scoring like usual in WC.

no,he pulled his nuts a bit but he should be ok an the rest now will do him the world of good

Muser
As long as the fat ass is coaching Argentina i'm not worried.

LaEliza
05-12-2010, 01:39 PM

i wouldn't put brazil as the suns. brazil somehow ends up winning and are always favorites...kinda like the lakers

Argentina won the world cup in 1986. And then won American cups. But yes, it's a lot of time anyway

Muser
05-12-2010, 01:39 PM
no,he pulled his nuts a bit but he should be ok an the rest now will do him the world of good

We got this shit :ihit

I hope...:blah

sonic21
05-12-2010, 01:44 PM
No team has ever won a WC outside of its continent except Brazil.

Muser
05-12-2010, 01:46 PM
No David Beckham makes me sad though..

mabrignani
05-12-2010, 01:52 PM
:lmao buffon best goalkeeper in the world

who else is better? casillas, cech, vandersar? yeah right BUFFON IS THE BEST GOALKEEPR IN THE WORLD, THE WORLD CRAIG

sonic21
05-12-2010, 01:52 PM
who else is better? casillas, cech, vandersar? yeah right BUFFON IS THE BEST GOALKEEPR IN THE WORLD, THE WORLD CRAIG

Lloris is better. He's the main reason Lyon went to the SF of the Champions League and France qualified for the WC.

mabrignani
05-12-2010, 01:54 PM

anyone who mentions henry in soccer is a fruit cake....henry is overrated and sux balls now....maybe 4 or 5 years ago but now no way

mabrignani
05-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Italy #1? Are you serious?

It goes Brazil, Spain, Portugal as the top 3 in my book and Brazil is like the Lakers, Spain as like Cavs or something and Portugal as like the Magic or something.

Anyways I'll be rooting for France and Cristiano Ronaldo of Portugal is the best! I hope he is the leading scorer when its over.

hahahahaha france? france? for real...france? they cheated to get past ireland...they wont make it to the knockout round

marini martini
05-12-2010, 01:56 PM
Wooo Hooo, just got my copy of VF today!!!!:toast

http://www.thelifefiles.com/2010/05/03/annie-leibovitz-shoots-vanity-fairs-june-2010-cover/

sonic21
05-12-2010, 01:56 PM
hahahahaha france? france? for real...france? they cheated to get past ireland...they wont make it to the knockout round

yes, france sucks but it will not be easy to beat them.

in2deep
05-12-2010, 01:59 PM

http://www.thelifefiles.com/2010/05/03/annie-leibovitz-shoots-vanity-fairs-june-2010-cover/

WTF?? :lol

mabrignani
05-12-2010, 02:06 PM
Lloris is better. He's the main reason Lyon went to the SF of the Champions League and France qualified for the WC.

hahaha that just shows how little you know about soccer....i mean nice name drop with lloris but lyon sux, and france barely qualified for the world cup.....

the next best goalie to Buffon is Julio Cesar...his team is going to win the champions league and Brazil more than qualified for the WC.

FUCKIN FRENCHIES haha

Texas_Ranger
05-12-2010, 02:22 PM

julio cesar.

Bukefal
05-12-2010, 02:48 PM
anyone who mentions henry in soccer is a fruit cake....henry is overrated and sux balls now....maybe 4 or 5 years ago but now no way

Really? I dont know, i havent been following him, i just remember him of the past being good. As ive said, I just compared him with tp, in a kidding way, both from france, friends etc..

ffadicted
05-12-2010, 02:50 PM
lol clearly you don't actually watch any football OP

try again later

hater
05-12-2010, 02:56 PM
lol clearly you don't actually watch any football OP

try again later

so who do you have winning the WC? or are you too afraid to say it?

sonic21
05-12-2010, 02:59 PM

hahaha that just shows how little you know about soccer....i mean nice name drop with lloris but lyon sux, and france barely qualified for the world cup.....

the next best goalie to Buffon is Julio Cesar...his team is going to win the champions league and Brazil more than qualified for the WC.

FUCKIN FRENCHIES haha

haha, calm down it's just soccer.

mogrovejo
05-12-2010, 03:02 PM

Well, Spain has an history of underperforming in the international tournaments... but they just won the European Championships 2 years ago.

England has excellent coaching this time around. They've been displaying great chemistry. I don't put much stock on tradition and stuff. There's nothing genetic about winning football competitions.

I generally like to pull for the US team, but who are their best players? Howard and Donovan? Going into the knock-out round would be great, winning a game there would be a massive overachievement. Effort and work rate only take you so far.

ffadicted
05-12-2010, 03:36 PM
so who do you have winning the WC? or are you too afraid to say it?

Brasil: As always, they enter the world cup strong favorites. Roster is disgustingly deep at the back and wings (see: Daniel Alvez probably a reserve), and at the attack as well. Fabiano destroys with the NT, Robinho is still a star if he can play less selfish, and Nilmar is a great young player that a lot may not know about. Grafite is also a nice surprise in place of fat fuck Adriano lol. Midfield is shaky, have had troubles creating scoring opportunities if Kaka isn't playing magic ball. That's why I'm disapointed Ronaldinho isn't going, he has the experience, the talent, the knowledge, and could very well at least be insurance for what Kaka brings to the table. Dunga will be sure to remind the team what happened in '06, and they will stay humble this time, and are out for redemption. Very likely to reach the finals

Spain:

As good as brasil, if not better then brasil. Ridiculous ability to create and put the ball in the net. So many players that are so good as well, they are an offensive juggernaut. You're right to say they've choked before, but they have had experience as a group winning the last Euro, and I wouldn't read too much into the loss to USA in the Conf. Cup. I like leaving Raul out, and Xavi is the star of this team imo, such a leader on the pitch, good defender, and can create as well. Also see them reaching the finals, and the brackets would have them up against brasil, which would be anyone's match

Also, a few thoughts on other teams, in no particular order:

Argentina:

Could certainly make some noise, but they are so inconsistent. Their coach is garbage, and are very susceptible to desperation tactics and failure when playing under pressure. Talented individually, but lack any sort of strong team chemistry. Not like it takes an expert to say this, but they'll go where Messi can take them, but Messi is still very unproven in the international stage. This could be his coming out party, but I expect semis at best, most likely quarters.

Germany:

Will make noise, as they always do. So much tradition and history here, and their team has pride, which anyone that watches can tell you is a huge part of football. Very experienced coaching staff, as well as players like Klose, Lahm, and Ballack. Powerhouse as always, and as OP said, very strong defensively, but can also put the ball in the net with ease. With that said, I wouldn't put them in the Brasil/Spain tier, they're with the likes of England and Argentina

England:

lulz Becks. Sucks for him, I wanted him in. Ummm, where are we with this team. Gotta start with how amazing Rooney is I suppose. Being a Man U fan, I know this guy's game inside out, and I can tell you he's gonna make some noise. England has always had heart, and it's no different this year, and another team that could challenge spain and brasil for the title, perhaps more so then anyone else. They're full of stars, but stars with class, "tim duncan"-like players. Also, biggest collection of WAGs ever, it's a beauty.

Ivory Coast:

Best african team in my opinion, at least when talking position-to-position talent. Drogba is a king, but they also guys like Toure, Eboue and Kolo; quality players with experience and determination. Very difficult group stage, but Portugal has shown plenty of weaknesses and they could easily take second place. They've got the talent and the team play, and it's up to their effort and matchups in the knockout to see how far they can go. I expect R of 16 or Quarters, but wouldn't be surprised too much at a semis appearance

France:

Fuck ya'll, I'm sick and tired of getting eliminated by you guys lol (86: France, 94: won, 98: France, 02: won, 06: France). Aint going nowhere, serves them right for the gay ass hand goal. Oh, and I want Ribery in Man U... bad

Netherlands:

The main team you forgot up there. Strong up front, know how to play, but they're also known for fading out when it matters most. With that said, they killed at the qualifiers (17 - 2 in goals), did well at the start of the Euro, and they're looking to improve here. With that said, the bracket gods have them running into brasil in the quarters, which doesn't do much for their chances. This is a team I fear.

Portugal:

Can't see them going anywhere. A complete one man show much like the OP put it, except their one-man hasn't exactly shown much with the NT as of late, at least not enough. You can make the claim they have solid talent elsewhere, but I won't buy it, their chemistry is horrible, and they had a shitty qualifiers. Too much of the wrong personality here

Italy:

Not at all favorites. Bad Euro, and not much talent has shown up since '06, they've only gotten worse. Good coaching base and solid players for sure, but I just don't see it with this team, they havn't done anything since winning their 4th title. To real star, no real threats, and their one shinning star is Buffon, although I disagree with him being the best goalie in the cup (no homerism: Cesar has been amazing). Good defense, will probably walk on top of their group, but will bust at the quarters. Book it

ElNono
05-12-2010, 03:42 PM
My favourite to win would be Argentina, but I don't trust Maradona. I doubt he's smart enough to handle the team to Lucho Gonzales.

Lucho didn't make the cut, so he will miss this world cup. Agree that Maradona is what can hold Argentina back.

Portugal always looked good on paper, but they fold when the WC comes around. Happened in the Rui Costa era, still happening with this generation of players. Just like Brazil always steps it up for the WC.

As far as Italy, nobody had them penciled for the last one either. But the catenaccio has worked well for them even though it's ugly as shit.

cantthinkofanything
05-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Since I'm guessing most of you spurfans are bored now, I advise you to watch the world cup.

Here's a little guide for you soccer dummies NBA style

And the contenders are:
#6 Argentina - similar to San Antonio Spurs:
Argentina is a great very disciplined team with a few great players like the Spurs. They are eternal favorites and usually go far but most of the time they end up short of their goal just like the Spurs. Like the Spurs they are also composed of a number of older players that slow down their team and in the end, won't be able to keep up with the faster, younger teams. Their leader is Messi, similar to Tony Parker

http://footballteamplayers.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/messi1.jpg

#5 Germany - similar to Boston Celtics:
Germany is a team of geriatricts but they can still play. They will definitely win some games and it would not surprise if they make the semis or finals. Like the Celtics, their leaders are players past their primes and carrying injuries. Their defense is like a Berlin wall, impenetrable, like sometimes the Celtics are. They will bruise you and molest you, and they get referee preference. But they will also fall short of their goal, like the Celtics. Their leader is Michael Ballack, similar to Kevin Garnett

http://www.goalvideoz.com/images/players/83065ballack.jpg

#4 Portugal - similar to Cleveland Cavaliers:
Portugal is a team centered on their leader, Ronaldo who could be the Lebron of soccer. The most complete player and big and stong and fast enough to be a weapon vs. most defenses. He is the main man and they will go as far as he goes. If Ronaldo has a good WC, they could get to the finals, if not they could fall short. Same as Lebron's cavs.

http://www.freewebs.com/cristianoronaldopictures/cristianoronaldopic18x.jpg

#3 Spain - similar to Dallas Mavericks:
Unfortunately Spain is similar to the Mavs. They come to the tournament looking like the strongest team but most of the times end up choking to lesser teams or missing penalty shots. Their fans are also similar to mavfans in that they beleive they are superior than the rest and blame the refs if their team fails. Sadly, the Spanish team will fail similar to the mavericks this year. Their leader is Fernando Torres, similar to Dirk Nowitzki

http://www.wldcup.com/pictures/wld2006/0606/pic225.jpg

#2 Brazil - similar to Phoenix Suns
This year's Brazil team is different from other years. Just like this year's Phoenix Suns team. They are concentrating more on defense and are leaving behind the run-n-gun game (jogo bonito) They even dumped Ronaldinho from the team, because their coach Dunga wants to have a bunch of soldiers out there, same as Gentry. Dunga will put in whatever soldiers will get the job done. Could they win it all even after changing their game style? I don't think so. Their leader is Kaka, similar to Steve Nash

http://www.racingdiary.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/kaka.jpg

#1 Italy - similar to Los Angeles Lakers
The most hated team in soccer, the Italian team. They will foul, lie and cheat, do pretty much anything to win. They don't care about winning with honor or if ppl like them. They are also referee favorites and if things don't go their way, will be the first to bitch publicly. See the similarites to Lakers, even the fact that they are defending the title. I don't know why but I like Italy to at least reach the finals, mostly due to their superior players, unbeleivable defense and help from the referees. Much like I see the Lakers reaching the NBA Finals. Their leader is Buffon, the best goalkeeper in the world, similar to Kobe Bryant

http://www.gfdb.com/images%5Cpictures%5Cplayers%5Cgianluigi-buffon.jpg

Darkhorse: Ivory Coast - similar to Orlando Magic?
They are the best african team and they also have the most dominant player in the game. Didier Drogba. I don't see much similarites with the magic except that they could give any team trouble and have plenty of weapons around their main leader. They are also well coached. They are my darkhorse. So are the Magic.

http://www.topnews.in/files/Didier-Drogba_1.jpg

so you see, now you can safely watch the WC, pick a team and enjoy the summer, forget about the Spurs failures. Which team will you root for?

This is a gay analogy. It makes as little sense as saying that Friends is the Dallas Mavericks of the sitcoms. Or that Shelly Winters is the TransAm of acting.

hater
05-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Brasil: As always, they enter the world cup strong favorites. Roster is disgustingly deep at the back and wings (see: Daniel Alvez probably a reserve), and at the attack as well. Fabiano destroys with the NT, Robinho is still a star if he can play less selfish, and Nilmar is a great young player that a lot may not know about. Grafite is also a nice surprise in place of fat fuck Adriano lol. Midfield is shaky, have had troubles creating scoring opportunities if Kaka isn't playing magic ball. That's why I'm disapointed Ronaldinho isn't going, he has the experience, the talent, the knowledge, and could very well at least be insurance for what Kaka brings to the table. Dunga will be sure to remind the team what happened in '06, and they will stay humble this time, and are out for redemption. Very likely to reach the finals

Spain:

As good as brasil, if not better then brasil. Ridiculous ability to create and put the ball in the net. So many players that are so good as well, they are an offensive juggernaut. You're right to say they've choked before, but they have had experience as a group winning the last Euro, and I wouldn't read too much into the loss to USA in the Conf. Cup. I like leaving Raul out, and Xavi is the star of this team imo, such a leader on the pitch, good defender, and can create as well. Also see them reaching the finals, and the brackets would have them up against brasil, which would be anyone's match

Also, a few thoughts on other teams, in no particular order:

Argentina:

Could certainly make some noise, but they are so inconsistent. Their coach is garbage, and are very susceptible to desperation tactics and failure when playing under pressure. Talented individually, but lack any sort of strong team chemistry. Not like it takes an expert to say this, but they'll go where Messi can take them, but Messi is still very unproven in the international stage. This could be his coming out party, but I expect semis at best, most likely quarters.

Germany:

Will make noise, as they always do. So much tradition and history here, and their team has pride, which anyone that watches can tell you is a huge part of football. Very experienced coaching staff, as well as players like Klose, Lahm, and Ballack. Powerhouse as always, and as OP said, very strong defensively, but can also put the ball in the net with ease. With that said, I wouldn't put them in the Brasil/Spain tier, they're with the likes of England and Argentina

England:

lulz Becks. Sucks for him, I wanted him in. Ummm, where are we with this team. Gotta start with how amazing Rooney is I suppose. Being a Man U fan, I know this guy's game inside out, and I can tell you he's gonna make some noise. England has always had heart, and it's no different this year, and another team that could challenge spain and brasil for the title, perhaps more so then anyone else. They're full of stars, but stars with class, "tim duncan"-like players. Also, biggest collection of WAGs ever, it's a beauty.

Ivory Coast:

Best african team in my opinion, at least when talking position-to-position talent. Drogba is a king, but they also guys like Toure, Eboue and Kolo; quality players with experience and determination. Very difficult group stage, but Portugal has shown plenty of weaknesses and they could easily take second place. They've got the talent and the team play, and it's up to their effort and matchups in the knockout to see how far they can go. I expect R of 16 or Quarters, but wouldn't be surprised too much at a semis appearance

France:

Fuck ya'll, I'm sick and tired of getting eliminated by you guys lol (86: France, 94: won, 98: France, 02: won, 06: France). Aint going nowhere, serves them right for the gay ass hand goal. Oh, and I want Ribery in Man U... bad

Netherlands:

The main team you forgot up there. Strong up front, know how to play, but they're also known for fading out when it matters most. With that said, they killed at the qualifiers (17 - 2 in goals), did well at the start of the Euro, and they're looking to improve here. With that said, the bracket gods have them running into brasil in the quarters, which doesn't do much for their chances. This is a team I fear.

Portugal:

Can't see them going anywhere. A complete one man show much like the OP put it, except their one-man hasn't exactly shown much with the NT as of late, at least not enough. You can make the claim they have solid talent elsewhere, but I won't buy it, their chemistry is horrible, and they had a shitty qualifiers. Too much of the wrong personality here

Italy:

Not at all favorites. Bad Euro, and not much talent has shown up since '06, they've only gotten worse. Good coaching base and solid players for sure, but I just don't see it with this team, they havn't done anything since winning their 4th title. To real star, no real threats, and their one shinning star is Buffon, although I disagree with him being the best goalie in the cup (no homerism: Cesar has been amazing). Good defense, will probably walk on top of their group, but will bust at the quarters. Book it

going with brasil. way to go out on a limb :rolleyes

hater
05-12-2010, 04:00 PM
This is a gay analogy. It makes as little sense as saying that Friends is the Dallas Mavericks of the sitcoms. Or that Shelly Winters is the TransAm of acting.

you're gay. for watching friends

cantthinkofanything
05-12-2010, 04:06 PM
you're gay. for watching friends

damn good point

ElNono
05-12-2010, 04:14 PM
it is messi who is overrated. I have yet to see him dominate an olympic/wc game.

What?

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/olympics/2008/writers/grant_wahl/08/23/five.thoughts/T1_0822_messi.jpg

mexpurs21
05-12-2010, 04:44 PM
I don't agree with your rankings, Spain will win it all, Italy is not as strong as they have always been, Portugal and Argentina shouldn't be on that list, and WHERE THE FUCK IS THE NETHERLANDS they haven't lost a game in 56 games, thats like 2 years without losing a game.

ffadicted
05-12-2010, 05:16 PM
going with brasil. way to go out on a limb :rolleyes

Oh, sorry man, I didn't know I was supposed to make predictions based on originality.

Paraguay takes it all

DAF86
05-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Only Germany, Brazil and Spain are contenders on your list (judging by the last 2 years). You forgot England.

lol, if Germany is a contender then there are at least like 10 contenders.

Bukefal
05-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Well, Spain has an history of underperforming in the international tournaments... but they just won the European Championships 2 years ago.

England has excellent coaching this time around. They've been displaying great chemistry. I don't put much stock on tradition and stuff. There's nothing genetic about winning football competitions.

I generally like to pull for the US team, but who are their best players? Howard and Donovan? Going into the knock-out round would be great, winning a game there would be a massive overachievement. Effort and work rate only take you so far.

Yeah, they did won the EC and they have a pretty good team, but still, Im not sure about them given their history on big tournaments.

AS for the us, I think they will surprise, im not saying they could or will win it all, i dont think so, but I do think they will advance further in the tournament, further then we would expect them to do.

mogrovejo
05-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Lucho didn't make the cut, so he will miss this world cup. Agree that Maradona is what can hold Argentina back.

Portugal always looked good on paper, but they fold when the WC comes around. Happened in the Rui Costa era, still happening with this generation of players. Just like Brazil always steps it up for the WC.

As far as Italy, nobody had them penciled for the last one either. But the catenaccio has worked well for them even though it's ugly as shit.

Maradona is pathetic.

Portugal went to the semi-finals in the last WC and were the best team in that game; quarter-finals, final and semi-finals in the last EC. It's not like they just lay an egg. Dangerous team, especially because this new coach will actually play his best players.

DAF86
05-12-2010, 05:50 PM

Julio Cesar (Brazil) is the best Goalie in the World.

DAF86
05-12-2010, 05:54 PM

Didn't Dunga left him out of the list? Or was that Neymar?

sonic21
05-12-2010, 05:54 PM

Germany has a good generation who often goes far in tournaments.
WC 2006=SF
Euro 2008=RU

i don't think they'll win though

DAF86
05-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Comparing Messi to Tony Parker may be one of the greatest troll jobs ever :lol

lol CoM

DAF86
05-12-2010, 06:00 PM

What?

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/olympics/2008/writers/grant_wahl/08/23/five.thoughts/T1_0822_messi.jpg

Self ownage

ElNono
05-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Portugal went to the semi-finals in the last WC and were the best team in that game; quarter-finals, final and semi-finals in the last EC. It's not like they just lay an egg. Dangerous team, especially because this new coach will actually play his best players.

Well, we'll see. I think they need a breakthrough, like Spain winning the EC.
Something to prove themselved they can go all the way.

History is definitely not on the side of Euro teams. They have never won a World Cup when it was hosted outside of Europe.

Behrooz24
05-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Meh soccer. WGAF

DPG21920
05-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Anyone who calls Christiano overrated is ridiculous. Go Dempsey!

roycrikside
05-12-2010, 06:30 PM
I appreciate the effort to bring some soccer knowledge to the forum, but I think most of the comparisons were quite poor and you didn't put much thought into them. If you want to compare soccer teams to NBA teams, I'd go with these...

LA Lakers: Brazil Most star power, most championships, most bandwagon fans, favorites to win again this year. They're coached by a defensive-minded ex-player (Phil Jax and Dunga). Best player a threat to score or pass (Kobe, Dunga).

Cleveland: England Lots of media hype and attention, but ultimately they've won nothing. Their best player scores a lot, but not on the big stage (LeBron/Rooney), but their second and third best routinely disappear in the big tournaments (Mo Williams, Antawn Jamison/Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard)

Orlando: Spain They just won something recently (the Euro Cup/the Eastern Conference) and their roster is fucking loaded, but people keep forgetting about them. Their best player (Dwight Howard/Fernando Torres) can't always perform because of circumstances beyond his control (foul trouble/injury).

Boston: Italy Recent champions, old as hell, lots of internal bickering, tough as heck to knock out in tournaments. They're like cockroaches you can't kill. Defense-first team.

Spurs: Germany Lots of past success, some proud veterans with a history of showing up when it matters most, but ultimately a bit long in the tooth. They play an efficient, mechanical style but have more flair than their critics give them credit for.

Phoenix: Holland They play an attractive style, very offensive with lots of scorers who can shoot from anywhere. Ultimately they always choke in the big games, but maybe this will be their year.

Denver: Portugal One big off-putting bitch of a scorer (Ronaldo/Carmelo), a lot of arrogant, enigmatic knuckleheads. Lots of unrealized potential. Lots of red cards too. Nobody likes them, emotionally immature.

Dallas: Argentina (sadly, because I like Argentina). One sensational player who has a lot of regular season success but a checkered history in big games (Dirk/Messi). A bunch of individual scorers who play with no heart. An idiotic figurehead on the sidelines who insists on being quotable and making himself the center of the story (Maradona/Cuban). No serious analyst gives them a chance to go far.

Milwaukee: USA Nice story, but ultimately they have little chance against the big boys.

Ivory Coast: Portland Ditto.

hater
05-12-2010, 06:39 PM
I don't agree with your rankings, Spain will win it all, Italy is not as strong as they have always been, Portugal and Argentina shouldn't be on that list, and WHERE THE FUCK IS THE NETHERLANDS they haven't lost a game in 56 games, thats like 2 years without losing a game.

wake me up when netherlands wins something... :sleep

hater
05-12-2010, 06:39 PM
I appreciate the effort to bring some soccer knowledge to the forum, but I think most of the comparisons were quite poor and you didn't put much thought into them. If you want to compare soccer teams to NBA teams, I'd go with these...

LA Lakers: Brazil Most star power, most championships, most bandwagon fans, favorites to win again this year. They're coached by a defensive-minded ex-player (Phil Jax and Dunga). Best player a threat to score or pass (Kobe, Dunga).

Cleveland: England Lots of media hype and attention, but ultimately they've won nothing. Their best player scores a lot, but not on the big stage (LeBron/Rooney), but their second and third best routinely disappear in the big tournaments (Mo Williams, Antawn Jamison/Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard)

Orlando: Spain They just won something recently (the Euro Cup/the Eastern Conference) and their roster is fucking loaded, but people keep forgetting about them. Their best player (Dwight Howard/Fernando Torres) can't always perform because of circumstances beyond his control (foul trouble/injury).

Boston: Italy Recent champions, old as hell, lots of internal bickering, tough as heck to knock out in tournaments. They're like cockroaches you can't kill. Defense-first team.

Spurs: Germany Lots of past success, some proud veterans with a history of showing up when it matters most, but ultimately a bit long in the tooth. They play an efficient, mechanical style but have more flair than their critics give them credit for.

Phoenix: Holland They play an attractive style, very offensive with lots of scorers who can shoot from anywhere. Ultimately they always choke in the big games, but maybe this will be their year.

Denver: Portugal One big off-putting bitch of a scorer (Ronaldo/Carmelo), a lot of arrogant, enigmatic knuckleheads. Lots of unrealized potential. Lots of red cards too. Nobody likes them, emotionally immature.

Dallas: Argentina (sadly, because I like Argentina). One sensational player who has a lot of regular season success but a checkered history in big games (Dirk/Messi). A bunch of individual scorers who play with no heart. An idiotic figurehead on the sidelines who insists on being quotable and making himself the center of the story (Maradona/Cuban). No serious analyst gives them a chance to go far.

Milwaukee: USA Nice story, but ultimately they have little chance against the big boys.

:tu

FeZZy
05-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Chileeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

ForeignFan
05-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Germany? You must be kidding... They will go home early (as France will). And Spain are not chokers anymore; they won the euro chamnpionship in 2008.

So Spain, Brazil and maybe Argentina (though they hardly qualified for the final tournament) are my favorites. I hope that an african team such as Ivory Coast can realise an upset, though.

The US team will soon enjoy south african beaches...

thispego
05-12-2010, 07:30 PM
hmmmmm was pretty sure this was a spurs basketball forum......

ShoogarBear
05-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Who is the Goran Dragic of the World Cup?
:pctoss

diego
05-12-2010, 07:59 PM

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

ronaldo singlehandedly eh? Domination? that's interesting seeing as he scored one goal for the tournament, a penalty against Iran- DOMINATION! Portugal beat holland in one of the most disgraceful world cup games ever, then squeaked out penalties against england and lost to france. the only reason they got that far was because they led the tournament in yellow cards by beating the crap out of everyone, but it finally caught up to them in the semis when they couldnt play 2 starters because of the bookings. In fact I looked up the ideal team for the 06 WC, which is larger than previous WC ideal teams (23 instead of 16 players), and there is no sight of ronaldo, though you do have 4 other portuguese players- I guess it was cristiano that made them look good eh? He must have dominated us all blind that tournament. :lmao:lmao:lmao

but please tell me which game of any world cup or olympic game ronaldo dominated, I'd love to know what I'm missing.

and FYI, messi won the 2008 olympics and has a grand total of 122 minutes played over 3 games in a world cup. if you had just said WC, you could be on to something (even if the kid barely played), but since he was clearly the best player of the 08 gold medal team, you shot yourself in the foot.

---

ps: Nice topic but I dont agree at all with the comparisons.
And for the guy that says argentina hasnt won anything in 30 years, its not 2016 yet and we also won the 2004 olympic gold (the same day manu and co won in basketball) as well as 2008. and on the youth level, we've won lots and lots of WC in the past 20 years, but that only makes it more damning that we havent been able to transfer that success to the adult level.

DesignatedT
05-12-2010, 08:03 PM
My favorites: Espana, Germany

Sleeper (although a couple have already mentioned them) : Netherlands

I think they could do work. Im not feeling Argentina this year, although I will be rooting for them over most opponents.

mexpurs21
05-12-2010, 08:10 PM
wake me up when netherlands wins something... :sleep
Wake me up when Portugal wins something :p:

Netherlands is way stronger than Portugal, no, they won't win the world cup, but they deserve to be considered as a semifinalist.

Brazil
05-12-2010, 08:13 PM
My favorites: Espana, Germany

Sleeper (although a couple have already mentioned them) : Netherlands

I think they could do work. Im not feeling Argentina this year, although I will be rooting for them over most opponents.

Netherlands is always the sleeper of everybody for every WC

Argentina is talented but I can't see a team coached by Diego winning a WC tbh.

For me it's like every WC, contenders are Germany, Italy, Brazil +1 country that change every year, this year it is Spain

ElNono
05-12-2010, 08:14 PM
BTW, Maradona already left out Cambiasso, Zanetti, Gago, Lucho Gonzales and Lisandro López... :bang

ALVAREZ6
05-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Comparing Argentina to Spurs is very inaccurate:
1. Argentina's coaching is like having Isaiah Thomas, Spurs obviously have arguably the best coach in the league (definitely top 2)
2. Argentina has a ton of young talent, most of their best players are pretty young, not like Spurs
3. "Most of the time they end short of their goal" ...I don't think this is the case... 4 championships the past decade basically, all within an 8 year span, I wouldn't say this is true compared to other teams. The Lakers are the only other team on the Spurs level this past decade.

DesignatedT
05-12-2010, 08:19 PM
Ivory coast is pretty interesting. Drogba is going to have to have a monster world cup for them to come remotely close, but i could see it happening.

Brazil
05-12-2010, 08:20 PM
BTW, Maradona already left out Cambiasso, Zanetti, Gago, Lucho Gonzales and Lisandro López... :bang

what ?

can you give me the big lines of this selection ?

Our dumb coach left out Nasri and Benzema

Cherry
05-12-2010, 08:24 PM

Respect Carlisle a little more... he is coach. :lol

mogrovejo
05-12-2010, 08:35 PM

Well done as well. Some stuff is pure fiction/hating, but nicely done nonetheless.

DAF86
05-12-2010, 08:48 PM

I Agree with pretty much everything except that part, How is Messi a chocker in the big stage? He's 22 and has already won everything there's to win except the World Cup (he only played one at age 18 and wasn't even the starter) and in every important game Messi played well and scored (Last season he played 5 finals and scored in 4 of them) and against Real Madrid (Barca's biggest rival -Barca is Messi's team -) Messi has scored 6 goals in 7 games. (To give you an idea: That's like A-Rod hitting 6 home runs in 7 games against the Red sox in a playoff series.)

jdev82
05-12-2010, 08:55 PM

not in level of dominance, but stylistically its a good comparison. small, the fastest player ive ever seen, good passer, but his main goal is to score, and he does it brilliantly from inside the box. good comparison.

arles
05-12-2010, 09:39 PM
what ?

can you give me the big lines of this selection ?

Our dumb coach left out Nasri and Benzema

From OLE:

Arqueros/Goalkeepers: Sergio Romero (Az Alkmaar), Mariano Andújar (Catania) y Diego Pozo (Colón)

Defensores/Defenders: Nicolás Burdisso (Roma), Ariel Garcé (Colón), Fabricio Coloccini (Newcastle), Martín Demichelis (Bayern Munich), Gabriel Heinze (Olympique Marsella), Juan Manuel Insaurralde (Newell's), Nicolás Otamendi (Vélez), Clemente Rodríguez (Estudiantes) y Walter Samuel (Inter).

Volantes/Midfielders: Sebastián Blanco (Lanús), Mario Bolatti (Fiorentina), Jesús Dátolo (Nápoli), Angel Di María (Benfica), Jonás Gutiérrez (Newcastle), Javier Macherano (Liverpool), Juan Mercier (Argentinos Juniors), Javier Pastore (Huracán), Maxi Rodríguez (Liverpool), José Sosa (Estudiantes) y Juan Sebastián Verón (Estudiantes).

Delanteros/Forwards: Gonzalo Higuaín (Real Madrid), Ezequiel Lavezzi (Nápoli), Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Diego Milito (Inter), Martín Palermo (Boca), Carlos Tevez (Manchester City) y Sergio Agüero (Atlético Madrid).

gilmor
05-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Skills: Ginobili=Messi

Heart: Ginobili>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Messi

You got to be fucking kidding..

In terms of skills, Manu can't even smell Messi..

But I would agree with the 'Heart' part though.

td_tp_manu
05-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Xavi is the heart of Spain. Don't forget him.

I think Italy has more resemblance with Spurs - because I love them both!

This is very very good and creative write-up. Thanks!!

DAF86
05-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Xavi is the heart of Spain. Don't forget him

Agreed, IMO Xavi is the best Spanish player of all time.

LaEliza
05-12-2010, 10:09 PM
You got to be fucking kidding..

In terms of skills, Manu can't even smell Messi..

But I would agree with the 'Heart' part though.

Mmmm maybe because its not a "NBA fan" point of view, is more like an argentinian point of view....I wrote that thinking about Manu is our best player in basquetball and Messi is our best in football.
Anyway in terms of skills....i dont think that Manu is so far away like you say ;)

manubili
05-12-2010, 11:03 PM
I am not sure how informed you are about Soccer. But would be wise to get more information.
Argentina would be more like the Mavs than the Spurs, a lot of talented players with a so-so coach-owner that thinks that a lot of talent equals a championship. Is arguably one of the most younger rosters in the WC.

I wish Argentina was more like the Spurs, classy, self tempered, well coached etc.

ALVAREZ6
05-12-2010, 11:06 PM
I wish Argentina was more like the Spurs, classy, self tempered, well coached etc.

Argentina and classy, self-tempered, well coached...haha, these are all dreams... (of course I'm speaking about futbol)
The basketball squad is the opposite, this generation has been lucky with them, because Argentina basketball will be back to nothing quite soon.

itzsoweezee
05-12-2010, 11:21 PM
Excellent thread.

Could someone do a similar comparison with the NBA and the English Premier League? I've always wanted to watch club soccer, but don't have a team to root for.

polandprzem
05-13-2010, 12:46 AM
For Argentina it pretty much goes Messi or Mess

Bukefal
05-13-2010, 04:11 AM
Netherlands is indeed a sleeper. They are very good, they have great players and a champion caliber team, but the thing with Netherlands is, they lack motivation. They advance to the semi-final for example, and then in their heads they already think they have won, they think its too easy in their unconsciousness and lose, plus, Netherlands are not so good in handling pressure especially when it comes down to penalty shootout.

Also, if the Dutch team of 1998 in France did not manage to win the WC, then I dont think they will now. It's a shame, because they have loads of talent.

One of the best coaches in the world who can give a team motivation and win because of a motivated team is Guus Hiddink. He was also the coach of the 1998 team. He is the perfect coach for a team like Netherlands.

Muser
05-13-2010, 04:57 AM
lol @ Gerrard being a choker, i'll give you that Lampard is the Bonner of english football.

Spursfanfromafar
05-13-2010, 05:05 AM
Nice article :)

Don't agree with many comparisons, but for me the most uncomparable was Parker and Messi. I would actually compare Messi with Ginobili. Lovely to watch, terrific creativity and that Left Hand-Left Leg similarity going for them. Besides they typify the Argentinian "Che" spirit.

Gervin44Silas13
05-13-2010, 07:11 AM
You forgot the Netherlands...they always have a great showing.

Germany, Italy, Argentina, Brazil.......Never count them out

US, Mexico, Spain, Portugal............Do great (or try to in Group state) always dissapoint in knockout round

I do hope that the US makes a good show.......That 1st game vs England is key!

stéphane
05-13-2010, 07:34 AM
wow Hater your comparisons are disgusting bro.
Spain is definitely the Lakers. Clear favorites with hard to deal matchups. And I don't think they did such a choke job winning the last European championship (wich is basically harder to win but less prestigious).

temujin
05-13-2010, 08:41 AM
Nice job, Hater.

My predictions.

1) England. Eternal losers, the laughter of the World Cup usually, this time they have a great coach. Rooney will be the key. Orlando.

2) Brazil. Great defense (FCI) excellent midfield, but scoring will be on Kaka and Fabiano, not having great years. Final. Lakers.

3) Spain. Best midfield in soccer, not quite as good upfront. Semis. Suns.

4) Germany. Boring, slow, but physically strong, well organized and disciplined. Quarter to semis. Spurs.

5) Holland. Solid with some talented, but fragile, players (Robben, Sneijder). Could be the surprise. Quarter. Atlanta.

6) Argentina. With a mediocre coach they would win hands down. No other team has half of the talent. Instead, the drug-addicted selects Bolatti and Dattolo, instead of Zanetti and Cambiasso. That's like picking Mason and Tolliver instead of R.Allen and C.Paul. Quarter. Mavs.

7) Ivory Coast. Good team, physically very strong. No experience at this level. Utah. Quarter but I can see an African team in the semis with lots of help from the Refs.

8) Portugal. It's a one man show in a sport of 11. Cleveland. Quarter.

Unclassified: Italy (used all the possible luck in the past WC + left home the top three talents); France (tons of talent, but idiotic coach, plus they shouldn't even be there in the first place).

cheguevara
05-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Comparing Argentina to Spurs is very inaccurate:
1. Argentina's coaching is like having Isaiah Thomas, Spurs obviously have arguably the best coach in the league (definitely top 2)
2. Argentina has a ton of young talent, most of their best players are pretty young, not like Spurs
3. "Most of the time they end short of their goal" ...I don't think this is the case... 4 championships the past decade basically, all within an 8 year span, I wouldn't say this is true compared to other teams. The Lakers are the only other team on the Spurs level this past decade.

4 championships? olimpics and Copa America don't count for shit. Everyone knows often teams send their B teams to Olympics and Copa America has teams like Venezuela and Bolivia :lmao

cheguevara
05-13-2010, 09:37 AM
What?

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

and FYI, messi won the 2008 olympics and has a grand total of 122 minutes played over 3 games in a world cup. if you had just said WC, you could be on to something (even if the kid barely played), but since he was clearly the best player of the 08 gold medal team, you shot yourself in the foot.

you're seriously bragging about a soccer olympic gold??? the same one that Brazil and other teams sent their B teams????

Truth is, Messi hasn't proven shit in the only BIG international competition Argentina competes in... World Cup

typical Argentine homers :rolleyes

nkdlunch
05-13-2010, 09:49 AM

I'm just here to disprove that Brasil is like the Lakers.

1. Brasil is the best team in history, the Lakers are not even the best team in NBA history, the Celtics are.
2. Brasil doesn't cheat to win, they don't need to.
3. Brasil is not hated like the lakers are. Yeah, some people are tired of seeing them win, but nobody is truly pissed when they do win.
4. Brasilian players are cool by nature, shit they even go by 1 name, are you kiddin me? if that's not the coolest thing in sports I don't know what is: Ronaldo, Romario, Bebeto, Kaka... Lakers players are not cool, shit some of them marry fat asses like Khloe Kardasian
5. Brasil has carnaval and hot friendly easy women. LA has pollution and stuck up silicone filled bitches.
6. Brasilian players celebrate a win by dancing samba on the field, Laker players celebrate by raping their hotel maids and getting arrested

Kuestmaster
05-13-2010, 10:48 AM
your comparisons are far from the true bro...

I'm spanish and I can tell you that NO WAY fernando torres is the star of the team, that would be xavi or iniesta. with cesc and villa for outsiders. torres is behind all of them.

how do you compare leo messi (best player of the world and if he continues to play like that he will be the best of the history) to someone like tony parker? maybe because it's fast and can drible, but kobe is too (well, maybe was)

messi is definitely like kobe, can decide a game whenever he wants

although, I agree with you that cristiano ronaldo is like lebron, loved for ones (a few ones) and hated so much for the rest of the world.
he is wooed in every stadium he goes, his arrogance is her biggest fault. maybe he is the best athlete in soccer, like lebron in basketball, but his manners lose him...

and how in the world you put italy #1? italy will be lucky if he can get to quarterfinal, it's not the powerful squad that once was.

agree with you that germany and argentina play in a similar way that spurs and celtics. defensive minded teams that have firepower to knock out anyone.

agree with you too in the comparison of this years brazil and phoenix suns. they are not the only offensive minded team that were but have focused more in defense. I don't see brazil winning it all.

and returning to spain, I think that if they are able to pass the 2nd round match against (presumably brazil, portugal or ivory coast) they can make it to the finals.
we are the current euro champions and we have players with a lot of experience in the champions league (like xavi, puyol, iniesta, pique...) that can lead us to the final.

I would like the chances of ivory coast if they hadn't fall in such a difficult group with brazil and portugal.

My favourites for winning it all are spain and argentina

rAm
05-13-2010, 10:53 AM
I didn't read all the subsequent posts, but the OP's is retarded. You obviously know little to nothing about the game. lol.

scottspurs
05-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Lionel Messi is closer to Michael Jordan in soccer than he is Tony Parker

nkdlunch
05-13-2010, 11:07 AM

:lmao :lmao :lmao

wow talk about overrating.

come back when Messi has won at least 1 world cup

:downspin:

hater
05-13-2010, 11:26 AM
what is this bullshit about Spain not being chokers anymore due to winning the Euro Cup???? This is like saying the Mavs are not chokers because they won the Western Conference Championship

let's not forget the previous reigning Euro champs was Greece. Fucking Greece. :rolleyes

If they don't make it to the WC Finals this time around they will still be chokers

ElNono
05-13-2010, 11:31 AM
you're seriously bragging about a soccer olympic gold??? the same one that Brazil and other teams sent their B teams????

Everybody sends their B teams to the olympics, including Argentina, because you can only take 3 players over 23 years old. And that Brazil B-Team included Ronaldinho, Diego and Marcelo.

But my response specifically was to the argument that Messi is overrated because he didn't do anything in the olympics... well, you can't do much more than win gold there.

Truth is, Messi hasn't proven shit in the only BIG international competition Argentina competes in... World Cup

I completely agree with this. It's also safe to say he didn't play many minutes in the previous World Cup, being he was only 18 years old.
This world cup should be his center stage, and well, we'll see how he does.

temujin
05-13-2010, 11:45 AM
Spain is second only to England as losers.
If you factor in salaries of the players and coaches, size of the soccer base, budget of the different teams in the national championship, and expectations.

Euro has been won by countries like Greece, Denmark and Holland, with a much smaller players base.
Even in Euro08, with an incredibly better team, Spain could only eliminate Italy with the penalties.

In the World Cups, Spain has been an epic failure, with Belgium, Croatia, Sweden, Bulgaria, Poland, Hungary and even frigging Korea, having done better -reached the semis- over the last 60 years.
Spain can't really be named with the teams that get to the semis more often than not (Brazil, Italy, Germany, Argentina) and it is historically not even in the class of France and Holland.

Brazil
05-13-2010, 12:03 PM
From OLE:

thx :toast

mathbzh
05-13-2010, 12:44 PM

With soccer this may be true. In 2006, before the WC both Italy and France sucked... and made it to the finals.

cheguevara
05-13-2010, 12:47 PM

http://www.thelifefiles.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/vf.jpg

R u a female or just plain gay?

ALVAREZ6
05-13-2010, 12:57 PM
4 championships? olimpics and Copa America don't count for shit. Everyone knows often teams send their B teams to Olympics and Copa America has teams like Venezuela and Bolivia :lmao

No shit...you are agreeing with me here. My post said why Argentina IS NOT like the Spurs.

easy7
05-13-2010, 01:02 PM
As a Spaniard I approve of the threads that say that Spain will win it all.
In other news- Kaka will be the shit this year. :hat

ALVAREZ6
05-13-2010, 01:02 PM

He also was never given the chance...due to the coaching. Crespo and Saviola I believe started over Messi and Tevez, Argentina's two biggest striking talents at the time. Every game they subbed Messi and Tevez in deep in the 2nd half of play, they would immediately give the team energy and provide results. They came in and scored a significant amount of goals for the little time they played. So it's sort of unfair to say he hasn't proven shit...the few minutes he ever played in world cup play were pretty productive, and he was 18 years old, turned 19 during the tournament I believe.

DAF86
05-13-2010, 02:29 PM

WTF? Olympic gold medal is the only big tournament that Brazil hasn't won in football, they're desperate to win one. Why are you talking out your ass?

diego
05-13-2010, 02:42 PM

actually, if you'd read my posts about messi in the other sports forum you'd know I believe he is overrated and pure potential at this point.

BUT, ronaldo is a million times more overrated. In2Deep's post (which he hasnt come back to defend) said that messi had never taken over a world cup OR olympic game and that Ronaldo had, presumably in the 06 world cup. I showed him that he was wrong about messi (because he included olympics) and wrong about Ronaldo (because he sucked balls in the 06 WC). Or do you think he was dominant, even if in just one game, in that tournament? I'd love to know which was his dominant game. Or any argument for ronaldo over messi for that matter.

cheguevara
05-13-2010, 02:46 PM
WTF? Olympic gold medal is the only big tournament that Brazil hasn't won in football, they're desperate to win one. Why are you talking out your ass?

:lmao

Brazil desperate to win olympic gold in soccer??? Do you have a link?

It means nothing to them. they are 5 time WC champs.
it seems you are the one talking out your ass

if you knew anything you would know World Cup is about 1000000x more valuable than a mere Olympic gold

ffadicted
05-13-2010, 03:04 PM
lol Argentina fans: I can tell you first hand, considering I'm from Rio, no one in brasil really gives a fuck about winning the olympics , lol @ roster limitations. Kiss the 5 bitches

also, agree completely with nkdlunch about his LA - brasil post, and I was about to rip into diego's post until I realized he was talking about Dinho, not the legend, in which case I sorta agree, he showed nothing in '06, but he was key in our '02 run

ElNono
05-13-2010, 03:04 PM

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-08/09/content_9082075.htm

Excerpts:
Brazil, who are desperate to end their Olympic gold medal drought, beat nine-man Belgium in their group opener and top the group ranking with a lot of difficulty.

Brazil have won the FIFA World Cup a record five times but have come up short at the Olympics, finishing with a silver medal in the 1984 and 1988 Games, and bronze in 1996. After failing to qualify in 2004 Athens Games, coach Dunga's side is determined to bring it home from Beijing

Now, honestly, I personally couldn't care less about the olympic gold medal. But probably because Argentina won it twice in a row recently. I do value the WC a lot more, because even though I lived to experience both the '78 and '86 world cups, it's been 24 years since the last one. On that note, I can see how Brazil could feel the other way around. They've won it multiple times recently, and it's kind of embarrassing that they can't seem to nail the olympic gold.

cheguevara
05-13-2010, 03:07 PM
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-08/09/content_9082075.htm

Excerpts:
Brazil, who are desperate to end their Olympic gold medal drought, beat nine-man Belgium in their group opener and top the group ranking with a lot of difficulty.

Brazil have won the FIFA World Cup a record five times but have come up short at the Olympics, finishing with a silver medal in the 1984 and 1988 Games, and bronze in 1996. After failing to qualify in 2004 Athens Games, coach Dunga's side is determined to bring it home from Beijing

Now, honestly, I personally couldn't care less about the olympic gold medal. But probably because Argentina won it twice in a row recently. I do value the WC a lot more, because even though I lived to experience both the '78 and '86 world cups, it's been 24 years since the last one. On that note, I can see how Brazil could feel the other way around. They've won it multiple times recently, and it's kind of embarrassing that they can't seem to nail the olympic gold.

so now Xinhuanet speaks for Brazil???????

you argentines make me laugh.

ElNono
05-13-2010, 03:08 PM
lol Argentina fans: I can tell you first hand, considering I'm from Rio, no one in brasil really gives a fuck about winning the olympics , lol @ roster limitations. Kiss the 5 bitches

also, agree completely with nkdlunch about his LA - brasil post, and I was about to rip into diego's post until I realized he was talking about Dinho, not the legend, in which case I sorta agree, he showed nothing in '06, but he was key in our '02 run

Actually, diego is talking about Christiano Ronaldo, the portuguese player.
Not Ronaldinho or Ronaldo (Luís Nazário de Lima).

cheguevara
05-13-2010, 03:08 PM
lol Argentina fans: I can tell you first hand, considering I'm from Rio, no one in brasil really gives a fuck about winning the olympics

ElNono
05-13-2010, 03:09 PM

"Many people think the Olympics are not as important to us as the World Cup, as we have five of those already. But we're Brazil, and every time we take to the pitch, we do so to win. We want to claim our country's first gold medal [in football]," said Dunga giving some indication of his plans when the team arrives in China.

Better?

cheguevara
05-13-2010, 03:11 PM
"Many people think the Olympics are not as important to us as the World Cup, as we have five of those already. But we're Brazil, and every time we take to the pitch, we do so to win. We want to claim our country's first gold medal [in football]," said Dunga giving some indication of his plans when the team arrives in China.

Better?

duh, he was the coach of the team.

what do you want him to say? "we don't really care if we win, we are really practicing for the WC" :rolleyes

are you seriously that stupid to beleive Brasil gives a shit about the olympics??????

englishspursfan
05-13-2010, 03:14 PM
england may be chokers but we have the best world cup songs every time:lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uFWGALVF0Y

ElNono
05-13-2010, 03:16 PM
duh, he was the coach of the team.
what do you want him to say? "we don't really care if we win, we are really practicing for the WC" :rolleyes
are you seriously that stupid to beleive Brasil gives a shit about the olympics??????

Brazil gives a shit about everything they play. I lived and worked in Sao Paulo long enough (even through the entire 1998 WC) to know they have a lot of pride when it comes to the verde-amarela. Argentina is really no different.

Now, if you ask me if they value the WC more than the Olympics? Sure they do, and I already stated as much. Argentina does also. But from there to say they don't give a shit about it there's a long mile.

chichi!gettheyeyo
05-13-2010, 03:17 PM
england may be chokers but we have the best world cup songs every time:lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uFWGALVF0Y

:lol

ffadicted
05-13-2010, 03:18 PM
Brazil gives a shit about everything they play. I lived and worked in Sao Paulo long enough (even through the entire 1998 WC) to know they have a lot of pride when it comes to their national soccer team. Argentina is really no different.

Now, if you ask me if they value the WC more than the Olympics? Sure they do, and I already stated as much. Argentina does also. But from there to say they don't give a shit about it there's a long mile.

Yes, we're always behind our team, without a doubt. I'm just saying, I would put as much value on brasil winning the olympics as I would the spurs winning the southwest division, that's a fair comparison most here could relate to.

cheguevara
05-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Brazil gives a shit about everything they play. I lived and worked in Sao Paulo long enough (even through the entire 1998 WC) to know they have a lot of pride when it comes to their national soccer team. Argentina is really no different.

I understand what you say. Everytime Brazil faces a team no matter where or when they better win or it's a huge fuckup.

But my point is, in the end, all that matters is the World Cup. You could offer Brazil 1,000 olympic medals, and ask for 1 of their World Cups. They would not do it.

cheguevara
05-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Yes, we're always behind our team, without a doubt. I'm just saying, I would put as much value on brasil winning the olympics as I would the spurs winning the southwest division, that's a fair comparison most here could relate to.

exactly. I was just ticked off at bragging about olympic gold. It's equivalent to a mavfan bragging about their Western Conference Title.

ElNono
05-13-2010, 03:21 PM

Well, I would equate the olympics as winning the west. The Copa America I would equate to winning the SW division.

ElNono
05-13-2010, 03:22 PM
But my point is, in the end, all that matters is the World Cup. You could offer Brazil 1,000 olympic medals, and ask for 1 of their World Cups. They would not do it.

No team in their right mind would. Including Argentina.

ElNono
05-13-2010, 03:24 PM
exactly. I was just ticked off at bragging about olympic gold. It's equivalent to a mavfan bragging about their Western Conference Title.

When it's been 20+ years since you won your last one, and your neighbor to the north wins 'em like it's nobody's business, you grasp at every straw you can get... :lol

cheguevara
05-13-2010, 03:25 PM
When it's been 20+ years since you won your last one, and your neighbor to the north wins 'em like it's nobody's business, you grasp at every straw you can get... :lol

and in mavfan's case it's the neighbors to the south :)

DAF86
05-13-2010, 03:30 PM

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/folha/esporte/ult92u435228.shtml

If you understand Portuguese, go ahead.

It means nothing to them. they are 5 time WC champs.
it seems you are the one talking out your ass

if you knew anything you would know World Cup is about 1000000x more valuable than a mere Olympic gold

Of course the WC >>>>>>>> Olympic games

But that doesn't mean that Brazil doesn't care about the olympics. In 2008 Dunga went with the best he had available at that time.

DAF86
05-13-2010, 03:33 PM

I've read a lot of articles in Brazil and they do care about the Olympics.

You only said that 'cause you haven't won it yet. 2 golds, foggots.

Bruno
05-13-2010, 03:38 PM
L7d4I-HR6iw

DAF86
05-13-2010, 03:39 PM

Nobody was bragging about the gold medal. Some idiot said that Messi was overrated 'cause he never did shit in the WC or Olympics. And a more knowledgeable poster reminded him that Messi won the olympic medal beign a key player of that team.

Spurs Brazil
05-13-2010, 03:44 PM
Brazil was and is desperate to win gold in the Olympic games.

Dunga sucks big time. He left a lot of good people out of the World Cup and I doubt Brazil is going to win this.

I also don't know if Argentina is going to win but I can't wait to see all the talent play together. Messi, Di Maria, Tevez and Higuain will be fun to watch.

DAF86
05-13-2010, 03:57 PM

Dunga sucks big time. He left a lot of good people out of the World Cup and I doubt Brazil is going to win this.

I also don't know if Argentina is going to win but I can't wait to see all the talent play together. Messi, Di Maria, Tevez and Higuain will be fun to watch.

:toast, I bet "El Che" won't quote this post.

cheguevara
05-13-2010, 03:59 PM
:toast, I bet el Che won't quote this post.

If you think Brazil really loses sleep on failing to win an olympic gold, whatevers helps you sleep at night. :toast

when are you guys raising your Western Conference... ahem, I mean Olympic Championship banner?

DAF86
05-13-2010, 04:05 PM
If you think Brazil really loses sleep on failing to win an olympic gold, whatevers helps you sleep at night. :toast

when are you guys raising your Western Conference... ahem, I mean Olympic Championship banner?

A brazilian has just said that they care about the olympics, what more do you want?

lol not accepting defeat.

cheguevara
05-13-2010, 04:08 PM
A brazilian has just said that they care about the olympics, what more do you want?

lol not accepting defeat.

come back when a brazilian states that they care as much to win olympic gold as to win a world cup. I was disputing the statement that Brazil is "desperate" to win olympics :rolleyes

read the posts above and try to reason.

DAF86
05-13-2010, 04:16 PM
come back when a brazilian states that they care as much to win olympic gold as to win a world cup.

And who said otherwise?

I was disputing the statement that Brazil is "desperate" to win olympics :rolleyes

read the posts above and try to reason.

Read the posts and try to reason, so you can accept you were wrong.

cheguevara
05-13-2010, 04:18 PM

any thoughts on this brazilian's opinion?

now admit you were wrong

Muser
05-13-2010, 04:18 PM
Man I can't wait, a different game on every night for weeks.

DAF86
05-13-2010, 04:26 PM
any thoughts on this brazilian's opinion?

now admit you were wrong

I know that at least Spurs Brazil gives a fuck so ffadicted it's either misinformed or just lying.

Bealive me, I read a lot of Brazilians articles when Argentina and Brazil played in the olympics, they do care. The fact that they care more about the WC (like everybody in the world) doesn't mean that they don't care about the olympics.

ffadicted
05-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Man, if you spell brasil with a 'z' your brasilian opinions don't count ;)

Oh, and I did say we do care anytime brasil plays, for gods sake I was screaming my ass off when we were down against the US in the goddamn confed cup. I'm just saying, we're not really desperate about it, or I'm not in particular. It'd be nice to win it, but I'm not losing sleep over it like Mavs fans are over a 'chip lol... and I don't really give a shit we havn't won it, but I'll always want to win anytime the team plays... how did this argument start in a world cup thread anyway lol

cheguevara
05-13-2010, 04:30 PM
I know that at least Spurs Brazil gives a fuck so ffadicted it's either misinformed or just lying.

so because he doesn't agree with you he is lying? wow, just wow

Bealive me, I read a lot of Brazilians articles when Argentina and Brazil played in the olympics, they do care. The fact that they care more about the WC (like everybody in the world) doesn't mean that they don't care about the olympics.

exactly, at the moment, what did the article say? go ahead and post them.

Again, nobody gives a shit about olympic soccer including Brazil. Olympic soccer is when teams usually send their young amateur B class squads to get them some experience. Just compare the TV ratings from Olympic soccer vs. World Cup for God's sake! it's not even in the same ballpark. They should not even be named in the same sentence. Olympic Soccer is nothing more but an amateur competition.

Really, in the end olympic gold means nothing to anybody(including Brazil), except maybe some homer argentines.

cheguevara
05-13-2010, 04:33 PM
really DAF86 stop with your retarded delusion. It's like saying USA is really desperate to win a World Cup.... really? they are? just because some US coaches and articles say so???? Is the american public really desperate to win a World Cup? no they don't give a shit about the World Cup. It would be unfair to say that.

Just like Brazilian public doesn't give a shit about olympics. And saying otherwise would be unfair.

DAF86
05-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Man, if you spell brasil with a 'z' your brasilian opinions don't count ;)

Oh, and I did say we do care anytime brasil plays, for gods sake I was screaming my ass off when we were down against the US in the goddamn confed cup. I'm just saying, we're not really desperate about it, or I'm not in particular. It'd be nice to win it, but I'm not losing sleep over it like Mavs fans are over a 'chip lol... and I don't really give a shit we havn't won it, but I'll always want to win anytime the team plays... how did this argument start in a world cup thread anyway lol

This is how things unfolded:

What?

As you can see a Messi vs Ronaldo argument that cheguevara turned into another thing. You're tainting Che's good name.

englishspursfan
05-13-2010, 04:39 PM
as an england fan i gotta say i wouldnt give a shit about winning the olympic gold medal but i would take it after winning fuck all else over the years!

hsxvvd
05-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Messi = Lebron.

Ronaldo = Kobe.

And you forgot the Dutch!

http://usoccers.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/netherlands_soccer_squad_team_world_cup_2010.jpg

The Netherlands - Similar to the Portland Trailblazers

The Dutch are a formidable side with a history of great players, great teams, but only getting close. Johan Cruyff equates to Bill Walton, and there is the obvious history of team in-fighting and a lack of chemistry. Patrick Kluivert/Edgar Davids days are gone as are Shawn Kemp or Zach Randolph days to the Blazers. A new breed of Dutch have been assembled with a very bright future, but injury problems still plague the teams potential.

DAF86
05-13-2010, 05:06 PM

Just like Brazilian public doesn't give a shit about olympics. And saying otherwise would be unfair.

So now you speak for Brazilian public?

lol Hypocrite

Question: Does Che Guevara make you laugh?

Greg Oden
05-13-2010, 05:12 PM

falconqb1234
05-13-2010, 05:29 PM
funny. but where are the dutch?

noob cake
05-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Fuck all you haters,

2010 will be Oranje

Dominating everyone in the qualifier world cup after world cup will pay off this year.

LaEliza
05-13-2010, 05:49 PM
So now you speak for Brazilian public?

lol Hypocrite

Really useless debating with cheguevara. He doesn't want see the real arguments, doesn't care about the links or another opinions. He's just like a troll. :rolleyes

sefant77
05-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Portugal isnt Cleveland, they are not that good.

Its more the Hornets with Paul.

MmP
05-13-2010, 06:34 PM
Ronaldo = kobe?
wtf

MmP
05-13-2010, 06:34 PM
Ronaldo = kobe?
wtf

diego
05-13-2010, 07:26 PM
about to rip into diego's post until I realized he was talking about Dinho, not the legend, in which case I sorta agree, he showed nothing in '06, but he was key in our '02 run

not talkin about either, talkin about that bitch Cristiano.

Ronaldinho was better than cristiano has been, but also overrated because of his dribbling and freekicks. still, a much much better playmaker than most give him credit for. and Ronaldo, what can I say, I'm argie so I hate him, especially that stupid haircut in 02 (that was the "i'm so good I can use this haircut and no one will make fun of me" look), but no matter how much I hate the guy I have to tip my hat, the man was a beast, and in a whole different league than messi and dinho, let alone cristiano.

and to conclude, what a stupid argument y'all are having. of course wc >>>>>>>>>>>>> olympics. the only reason this started is because In2Deep was stupid enough to say that messi hadn't dominated an olympic game (he did) and that Ronaldo had dominated a WC game (he hasn't). But cheguevara seems to think that because wc>>>>>>>>>>olympics that olympic teams dont compete. are you telling me brazil (players and fans) rolled over for messi in the olympic semis so they could be eliminated 3-0, thinking "we won the WC 6 years ago, this totally doesnt matter!". Or for that matter, that Argentina (players and coaches) minimized losing to brazil 3-0 in the copa america final a couple years back with a "bolivia and venezuela play this tournament, therefore its irrelevant to be upset in the finals by our rivals". please, a little common sense.

and finally, I'm sick and tired of hearing in all these arguments that eurocup is worth so much more than copa america. if european teams are so good, why have south american teams won half the 18 WC so far, even though the europeans send twice the amount of teams? why have no european teams won outside of europe? for every bolivia and venezuela, how many faroe islands and andorras do you have?

Manudona
05-13-2010, 10:41 PM

wow talk about overrating.

come back when Messi has won at least 1 world cup

:downspin:

And when did Jordan win at World Cup? :king

hater
05-14-2010, 09:26 AM
I'm not gonna take sides here but I gotta give my 2 cents.

1. in2deep doesn't know shit about soccer. he should have never mentioned olympics in my quality thread.
2. Olympic gold in soccer is one of the most insignificant awards in the soccer world. An olympic soccer gold medal wouldn't even get $25 in ebay. Argentines need to stop talking shit. NOONE cares about olympic soccer. Let's take a look at the last 6 olympic soccer winners :rolleyes
2008 - Argentina
2004 - Argentina
2000 - Cameroon
1996 - Nigeria
1992 - Spain
1988 - Russia

where is Germany?? where is Italy??? where is Brazil????

that's right, they are not there because they don't give a damn so they don't send their best teams.

End of argument.

NFGIII
05-14-2010, 12:43 PM

He can teach them the "Hand of God" move. :D