PDA

View Full Version : What does your team mean to your city?

djohn2oo8
05-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Aside from all the shit talkin that goes down here, "we" as fans are connected with our teams because they are a part of our communities, which is why we real fans stick with our teams through it all, because at the end of the day, we appreciate what our teams are able to provide for us, an outlet for daily struggles and tribulations. So, what does your team mean to your city? Are fans in your city diehard fans?

On a side note, I think we can all agree that the city of Cleveland is invested in their basketball team, more heavily than anyone else.

D2Procon
05-12-2010, 09:18 PM
No team sticks to its city more like chicago. Even during the slump of the Bulls in the early 2000s we still had sold out arenas.

Brigham Young
05-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Aside from all the shit talkin that goes down here, "we" as fans are connected with our teams because they are a part of our communities, which is why we real fans stick with our teams through it all, because at the end of the day, we appreciate what our teams are able to provide for us, an outlet for daily struggles and tribulations. So, what does your team mean to your city? Are fans in your city diehard fans?

On a side note, I think we can all agree that the city of Cleveland is invested in their basketball team, more heavily than anyone else.

That's if your team is good. What if your team sucks? Then your real life sucks (it does for most people) and your escape frome reality sucks too. Makes it even worse.
The reason why it may seem like Cleveland is invested in their team more is because none of their teams have won shit for 40 + years.

cobbler
05-12-2010, 09:32 PM
:lobt:

Koolaid_Man
05-12-2010, 09:41 PM

I take it your a lesbian...I mean your post sounds like you're a bitch but then you show chics in your sig...Perhaps your a lesbian and a bitch...but whateva your post is as gay as they come...and no the Lakers aren't a source or outlet for daily struggles and tribulations. Shit it's the exact opposite for us... They're an enabler for lofty ambitions, pirate style raids, bling-bling, pussy fests, first class entitlements, enviousness, extreme confidence, making it rain, incessant shit talking, and a million campionships....:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2 ::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2: :lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

djohn2oo8
05-12-2010, 09:46 PM
I take it your a lesbian...I mean your post sounds like you're a bitch but then you show chics in your sig...Perhaps your a lesbian and a bitch...but whateva your post is as gay as they come...and no the Lakers aren't a source or outlet for daily struggles and tribulations. Shit it's the exact opposite for us... They're an enabler for lofty ambitions, pirate style raids, bling-bling, pussy fests, first class entitlements, enviousness, extreme confidence, making it rain, incessant shit talking, and a million campionships....:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2 ::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2: :lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

Of course this douche couldn't give a real answer, because he is a bandwagonner, he could never know what a real fan is. Just a bitch made cunt faggot who is 13 yrs old and still sleeps in his mommy's bed while sucking on her titty. All of those things above that he listed, he will never personally experience any of them, and if your team represents pussy, that speaks volumes to how badly you can't get any

JamStone
05-12-2010, 09:52 PM
The Pistons have a weird relationship with the City of Detroit. They gave us three championships, which were great. The Bad Boys really connected with the city. The problem came when the late owner, Bill Davidson, moved the Pistons from downtown Detroit to Auburn Hills, which is a rich suburb of Detroit about 40 minutes north of the city. It created somewhat of a disconnect. The Tigers and Red Wings stayed in Detroit. The Lions moved back to Detroit. Only the Pistons don't actually play in the city. It was okay at first because it was during the Bad Boys run and Detroit still loved those teams. But then in the early 90s, Jordan started dominating and the dreaded Teal Era of Pistons basketball began. We had Grant Hill but a lot of losing and futility.

There were plenty of fans that stuck by the team. And when Dumars took over, he breathed a little life back into the connection. The problem was that when the Pistons started getting good again, ticket prices got raised, and more and more corporates and high class people were buying the tickets. The diehards and middle class loyal fans got weeded out, especially in the lower bowl area of the seats. That helped widen that disconnect that some had already felt.

Detroit is a curious hodge podge of a sports city. Detroit has sports teams in all four major sports. We have two major college programs that are nearby with Michigan and Michigan State. The City has been blessed with championships from all four organizations, with the Lions being way, way, way back in 1957, but a championship nonetheless. The southern part of the City is very Red Wings dominant. The richer northern suburbs are Pistons dominated. And while both of those two teams have given multiple recent championships, the City remains widely a football and baseball town.

The Pistons mean a lot to some people in Detroit. But it's not the most important sports team. The most important sports team in Detroit remains the Detroit Lions, despite how bad they've been for so long. Then it's the Tigers. Then it's a toss-up between the Pistons and Red Wings, even though those two franchises have been more successful more recently.

Sports is big for metro Detroit. It's a blue collar city, and it's tough times. Sports are one of the things that Detroiters hold dearly.

Koolaid_Man
05-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Of course this douche couldn't give a real answer, because he is a bandwagonner, he could never know what a real fan is. Just a bitch made cunt faggot who is 13 yrs old and still sleeps in his mommy's bed while sucking on her titty. All of those things above that he listed, he will never personally experience any of them, and if your team represents pussy, that speaks volumes to how badly you can't get any

i know what a losing fan is.....the emotional type are we...you once a month period having bitch...:toast

djohn2oo8
05-12-2010, 10:05 PM
i know what a losing fan is.....the emotional type are we...you once a month period having bitch...:toast

Why do you refer to Kobe in that manner?

JoeTait75
05-12-2010, 10:07 PM

Actually, I don't agree with this. People in Cleveland are into the Cavaliers because they're good. But this city lives and dies with the Browns. If the Browns ever got good- I mean, contend for championships good- LeBron (presuming he stays) would be a sideshow.

monosylab1k
05-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Dallas is a football city first and foremost. The Cowboys rule and that won't change. Even when the Mavs are in the playoffs, most Dallas fans would rather talk about Cowboys offseason mini-camps than talk Mavs.

As far as the Mavs fanbase, Dallas has an underrated fanbase. Sure, the fans don't show up to games when the team sucks, but that's 90% of NBA cities. Overall everybody in Dallas that was a Mavs fan from the start has stuck with the team through everything, with varying levels of interest that you see in every city.

Except for black guys in Dallas, they're all bandwagon Lakers fans. I mean all of them.

JoeTait75
05-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Except for black guys in Dallas, they're all bandwagon Lakers fans. I mean all of them.

The black guys in Cleveland all rooted for the Bulls in the '90s.

redzero
05-12-2010, 10:23 PM
I guess this topic isn't for bandwagoners.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-12-2010, 10:30 PM
The black guys in Cleveland all rooted for the Bulls in the '90s.

The few black guys in Phoenix are 50% loyal and 50% Lakers/Cowboys/Yankees. However, ALL of them are UNC fans, even the ones who attended UA or ASU.

The Mexicants however, are Lakers/Cowboys/Yankees/USC fans with a few exceptions. You drive through a Messican area in Phoenix and you'll see house after house with Lakers flags.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, most of the black people I know are "Kobe fans" or "Lebron fans". Pretty much the minorities in Phoenix need to walk around with a chip on their shoulder and root against the home team.

dickface
05-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Pretty much the minorities in Phoenix need to walk around with a chip on their shoulder and root against the home team.

Damn, that's just like black South Africans rooting for the New Zealand rugby team. Except that in Arizona they weren't persecuted and oppressed their whole lives.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Damn, that's just like black South Africans rooting for the New Zealand rugby team. Except that in Arizona they weren't persecuted and oppressed their whole lives.

:lol now that the entire Suns organization has spoken out against the immigration law the Mexicants have no reason to hate them so much yet they still do just because a part of them loves being belligerent.

JoeTait75
05-12-2010, 10:47 PM
EDIT: Now that I think about it, most of the black people I know are "Kobe fans" or "Lebron fans". Pretty much the minorities in Phoenix need to walk around with a chip on their shoulder and root against the home team.

I think that, for whatever reason, black dudes seem prone to being bandwagon fans.

- Who rooted for Michigan in the early '90s when they had the Fab Five and John Cooper was coaching Ohio State? Black dudes.

- Who rooted for MJ? Black dudes.

Exception is the Steelers. Bandwagon Steelers fans consist mainly of white rednecks who still have ground affects on their trucks and ugly chicks with 1980s hairdos. Black dudes in NE Ohio are strong for the Browns.

tlongII
05-12-2010, 11:05 PM
I would say Portland fans have the most invested in their team. We are WACKOS when it comes to the Blazers. It's the only big-league team we have although we have a sizable market. The winter months here are wet and gray and the Blazers are the city's emotional outlet during that time.

JoeTait75
05-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Portland, Salt Lake, San Antonio, the one-team towns- those are the best NBA cities. Oklahoma City is going to be a great NBA city too.

cobbler
05-12-2010, 11:17 PM
I would say Portland fans have the most invested in their team. We are WACKOS when it comes to the Blazers. It's the only big-league team we have although we have a sizable market. The winter months here are wet and gray and the Blazers are the city's emotional outlet during that time.

Well of course you do. Paying for pre-playoff parades can get costly! :toast

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-12-2010, 11:23 PM
I think that, for whatever reason, black dudes seem prone to being bandwagon fans.

Mexicans are no different. It's a minority thing.

HarlemHeat37
05-12-2010, 11:33 PM
Some quality racism in this thread..

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-12-2010, 11:33 PM
It's not racist if it's true.

redzero
05-12-2010, 11:39 PM
I hope the bandwagoners don't become offended by the truth being laid down in this thread.

IronMexican
05-12-2010, 11:42 PM
It's not the Mexicans fault that they got family from Dallas, LA and New York.

Findog
05-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Exception is the Steelers. Bandwagon Steelers fans consist mainly of white rednecks who still have ground affects on their trucks and ugly chicks with 1980s hairdos. Black dudes in NE Ohio are strong for the Browns.

The durability and pervasiveness of the Steeler fanbase is two things - bandwagoners who like to root for winners, and the industrial exodus out of Pittsburgh over the last 20-30 years has spread that fanbase out geographically. They pass their team loyalties down to their kids and so on.

Findog
05-12-2010, 11:45 PM
However, ALL of them are UNC fans, even the ones who attended UA or ASU.

Dean Smith and Michael Jordan to thank for that.

clambake
05-12-2010, 11:45 PM
The Pistons have a weird relationship with the City of Detroit. They gave us three championships, which were great. The Bad Boys really connected with the city. The problem came when the late owner, Bill Davidson, moved the Pistons from downtown Detroit to Auburn Hills, which is a rich suburb of Detroit about 40 minutes north of the city. It created somewhat of a disconnect. The Tigers and Red Wings stayed in Detroit. The Lions moved back to Detroit. Only the Pistons don't actually play in the city. It was okay at first because it was during the Bad Boys run and Detroit still loved those teams. But then in the early 90s, Jordan started dominating and the dreaded Teal Era of Pistons basketball began. We had Grant Hill but a lot of losing and futility.

There were plenty of fans that stuck by the team. And when Dumars took over, he breathed a little life back into the connection. The problem was that when the Pistons started getting good again, ticket prices got raised, and more and more corporates and high class people were buying the tickets. The diehards and middle class loyal fans got weeded out, especially in the lower bowl area of the seats. That helped widen that disconnect that some had already felt.

Detroit is a curious hodge podge of a sports city. Detroit has sports teams in all four major sports. We have two major college programs that are nearby with Michigan and Michigan State. The City has been blessed with championships from all four organizations, with the Lions being way, way, way back in 1957, but a championship nonetheless. The southern part of the City is very Red Wings dominant. The richer northern suburbs are Pistons dominated. And while both of those two teams have given multiple recent championships, the City remains widely a football and baseball town.

The Pistons mean a lot to some people in Detroit. But it's not the most important sports team. The most important sports team in Detroit remains the Detroit Lions, despite how bad they've been for so long. Then it's the Tigers. Then it's a toss-up between the Pistons and Red Wings, even though those two franchises have been more successful more recently.

Sports is big for metro Detroit. It's a blue collar city, and it's tough times. Sports are one of the things that Detroiters hold dearly.

great post. on a trip here from ireland, my dad took me to a playoff game between the lions and cowboys. iirc the cowboys won 5-0.

a long time ago.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Dean Smith and Michael Jordan to thank for that.

I think it's more to do with the amount of national championships they have.

HarlemHeat37
05-12-2010, 11:51 PM
LOL @ the cheapest hoe in the stable talking like this..they gave you the night off tonight, Luva?..

Go take care of your business in that thread, and then come back here..you need to get your credentials back..

redzero
05-12-2010, 11:52 PM
I'll tell you what, and anyone from LA that travels knows this is 100% true. And you busters from lesser cities know this is true too. When a cat from LA visits another city, immediately the bitches start jocking that cat. I've been to all the major cities, and plenty of the low life southern cities as well, and the moment they find out I'm fro m LA, the panties drop instantly!!! It could be your mama, sister, auntie, or daughter, the shit is like kryptonite. The local niggas tend to hate, and get mad, but by the time they get to react, I'm on plane going back home. Being a Laker fan is similar. Wearing the purple and gold is like wearing a Teflon suit. No one can fuck with you. The hoes recognize a winner because we are winners. This reply has nothing to do with the question the original faggot posed, but I thought I'd give an answer you all would want hear.

:rollin

Findog
05-12-2010, 11:52 PM
Dallas is Cowboys, Cowboys, Cowboys. The only thing I've ever seen like it when it comes to rabid zealotry from the natives is Texas Longhorn football in Austin. Austin is still a hippie dippie town in some ways, but Longhorns football is as huge there as the Cowboys are in DFW.

The Rangers are the second most important franchise locally. They have a solid and loyal core in their fanbase that has stuck with them throughout their history, which is mostly littered with failure. They draw two million even when they suck, which is usually the case. If the Rangers ever actually threatened to do some serious damage in the playoffs, it would be a big, big deal and the bandwagon would fill up quick.

The Mavs and Stars I think only really thrive and draw when they're good. The Mavs are a distant third in importance to the Rangers and Cowboys, but they've outperformed them in meeting fan expectations for the past 10 years.

Unforgivable
05-12-2010, 11:57 PM
I'll tell you what, and anyone from LA that travels knows this is 100% true. And you busters from lesser cities know this is true too. When a cat from LA visits another city, immediately the bitches start jocking that cat. I've been to all the major cities, and plenty of the low life southern cities as well, and the moment they find out I'm fro m LA, the panties drop instantly!!! It could be your mama, sister, auntie, or daughter, the shit is like kryptonite. The local niggas tend to hate, and get mad, but by the time they get to react, I'm on plane going back home. Being a Laker fan is similar. Wearing the purple and gold is like wearing a Teflon suit. No one can fuck with you. The hoes recognize a winner because we are winners. This reply has nothing to do with the question the original faggot posed, but I thought I'd give an answer you all would want hear.

My nigga OGBobbyJohnson bout to drop a dime on your ass, nigga

Findog
05-12-2010, 11:58 PM
I think it's more to do with the amount of national championships they have.

That helps, but there are a lot of powerhouse schools. Why not the inspired devotion to Duke or Indiana by the brothers?

Dean Smith integrated his teams a lot sooner than his ACC contemporaries, and was eager to recruit blacks. He built UNC into a national power by being ahead of the curve on race, and ran his program with a lot of integrity. He legitimately cared about things like civil rights and black graduation rates. Black America reveres Dean Smith a lot more than White America does.

Having a cultural icon like Michael Jordan as an alumnus counts a lot as well. UNC, along with Georgetown, is revered by blacks for deep-seated reasons.

dirk4mvp
05-13-2010, 12:01 AM
tbh why couldn't Kyle have been wanting to go to Notre Dame in Above The Rim instead of Georgetown?

Giuseppe
05-13-2010, 12:01 AM
and ran his program with a lot of integrity.

He ruined the game though with that 4 corners stall. It was unforgiveable.

dirk4mvp
05-13-2010, 12:02 AM
So what now? You jumping off of my nuts on to his? I'm a true playa, bitch. Follow me now and I'll show you how true playas get down.

crofl your schtick is about as cool as Brhornet's.

lol whitey

OGBobbyJohnson
05-13-2010, 12:05 AM

Damn, nigga. I know this net and all, but you gotta quit fronting. The history's broke on you, dog. Niggas tend hate on you cause you be wearing snitchass Kobe's colors, and any real OG don't 'preciate that shit, you dig?

And damn straight you been to all the major cities. That asshole of yours has made alot ends for the Deuce. Shit. Ray-Ray bought a Bentley from what you ass bring in. We truly thankful for that, nigga. It's why you eyes never seen a potato slide on to the barrel of a gat. Yo ass puts in alot awork smuggling dope and gats and taking in gay trick dick. Shit. Sometimes we feel sorry for you, watching you limp around like a cripple.

Thanks again, nigga. But quit fronting. Keep that shit real and know you role in the set...

Cheapest hoe in the stable.

I was 'bout to give you ass a day off. Let yo asshole rest a bit. I figure that shit probably be looking like Berbick's face after Tyson knock his ass out. Not now, busta. You back on the clock.

Consider it punishment for acting all uppity.

Findog
05-13-2010, 12:15 AM
I don't know if the Mavs are a distant 3rd. Right now I'd say they're a distant 2nd. Every team that isn't the Cowboys really suffers when the team sucks, and thrives when the team is good. Just last season Ian Kinsler took criticism because he was pissed the fans weren't showing up while they were still in the hunt for the division title.

I don't know that the Rangers fanbase during the 96-99 run was any better than the current Mavericks fanbase during their strong period.

The Stars are obviously 4th but only cuz nobody in Dallas cares about hockey.

The Rangers have been here longer than the Mavericks and I think in most people's heart of hearts, they'd take a Rangers World Series over a Mavs Finals.

LnGrrrR
05-13-2010, 03:07 AM
This should be obvious, but despite having a historically great team in the Celtics, Boston is first and foremost, and always will be, a baseball city. No team can top the Red Sox.

However, all the sports teams are beloved by the fanbase. The Pats didn't have any true fans outside the locals until this decade, and the Bruins are mostly beloved by the locals as well.

If I had to rank local love, it'd be Red Sox first by a good amount, Celtics second, and then a good deal below, Bruins and Pats tied for third. Once Brady leaves and the Pats suck again, all the bandwagoners will jump off.

Ghazi
05-13-2010, 04:25 AM
I'm not from Dallas, but do you think there's any shot when Lebron comes to Dallas it could change the entire atmosphere regarding obsession with Cowboys whereas the Mavericks are just the little brother?

I mean... we're talking about one of the 5 most prominent athletes in the WORLD.

LnGrrrR
05-13-2010, 04:34 AM
I'm not from Dallas, but do you think there's any shot when Lebron comes to Dallas it could change the entire atmosphere regarding obsession with Cowboys whereas the Mavericks are just the little brother?

I mean... we're talking about one of the 5 most prominent athletes in the WORLD.

I highly doubt it. Texas is crazy about football.

Again, look at Boston. The Pats won in 2001, 2003 AND 2004... yet I don't think anyone would say that the Pats outshadowed the Red Sox as far as local importance.

(Of course, winning in 2004 for the Sox helped heh.)

One player doesn't change a city's sports makeup that much, even if the player is world-beating. See JoeTait's comments about the Browns.

panic giraffe
05-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Mexicans are no different. It's a minority thing.

kindly kill yourself.

dirk4mvp
05-13-2010, 10:06 AM
crofl

Killakobe81
05-13-2010, 10:13 AM
The Lakers are L.A. ... the hardwork, celebrity, entertainment, arrogance, overpriced seating and high expectations for success ... reflect L.A - high cost of living, galmour, glitz, the grime the crime

The Lakers embody all that is good and bad about living in LA

But when we win .... aww man!!!
A Laker's parade brings it ALL together in a way that folks that have never experienced would NEVER understand ...

Killakobe81
05-13-2010, 10:16 AM

Nope I live in Dallas it's a Cowboys town. Even during this dead period in football they talk more about Romo playing golf and a backup OT picked up in a trade than the Mavs ...

I have fam that live in Chicago and when the Bulls were winning they owned the town for a short while but Chicago is a Bears/Cubs town even though the Bulls and Wsox have won more recently...

Giuseppe
05-13-2010, 10:29 AM
The Lakers are L.A. ... the hardwork, celebrity, entertainment, arrogance, overpriced seating and high expectations for success ... reflect L.A - high cost of living, galmour, glitz, the grime the crime

The Lakers embody all that is good and bad about living in LA

But when we a Laker's parade brings it ALL together in a way that folks that have never experienced would NEVER understand ...

I'm innately ignorant, but, grand stuff, Killa. Easily visualized and quite emotional.

Killakobe81
05-13-2010, 10:30 AM

IDK if I would say it works EXACTLY like Lakaluva says ...but I travel for work ...and LA probaly gets the most love as far as women being intrigued with where you live or come from.

I lived in NY for a few years and folks are impressed with that as well ...but LA you get questions about the celebrities, the califroina sticky icky, the women etc.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-13-2010, 10:30 AM
kindly kill yourself.

Responses like this give the vibe that pointing out Hispanics are bandwagon fans struck a nerve with you somewhere......I wonder why

Killakobe81
05-13-2010, 10:37 AM

Great post Jamstone!
Detroit is one of the few major US cities I have not had the pleasure of travelling to ...
Your post gave me a good feel for the pulse of the city ...
I bet sportstalk there is amazing with passionate fans that would never dream of betraying their teams to jump on Kobe's, Lebron's or Peyton's bandwagon ...good stuff.

The Gemini Method
05-13-2010, 10:37 AM
What do the Lakers mean to LA? Well, they're basically the premiere sports franchise in L.A. Los Angeles can be considered a front running team, but it is used to being well-known. However, there are those, like me, who get really nostalgic every time I go to a show at the Forum or drive on the 110 past Staples. Often the place where a relatively normal joe like myself could be in the same building as Jack Nicholson or Andy Garcia or any of a multitude of famous people. I would also have to say that when you're donning the purple and gold out in the streets, you tend to elicit more positive commentary. I don't think I have ever gotten anything less than a smile and a "Go Lakers!" when I'm sporting a shirt, hat, or jersey and on my way to the game.

In a city with another legendary franchise (L.A. Dodgers), two major public/private universities within minutes of each other (USC/UCLA), a 2nd NBA franchise sharing the same residence (Clippers), and a wildly popular NHL team (Kings) there is a sense of sports pride in the City of Angels. Most of the teams have had reasonable success (Clippers and Kings have been to the playoffs), are amongst the leaders in titles won (Lakers, USC, and UCLA),also are legendary franchises (Lakers and Dodgers), and have really given us L.A. sports fan a chance to cheer and be rather enthused about our local teams.

tlongII
05-13-2010, 10:39 AM
What do the Lakers mean to LA? Well, they're basically the premiere sports franchise in L.A. Los Angeles can be considered a front running team, but it is used to being well-known. However, there are those, like me, who get really nostalgic every time I go to a show at the Forum or drive on the 110 past Staples. Often the place where a relatively normal joe like myself could be in the same building as Jack Nicholson or Andy Garcia or any of a multitude of famous people. I would also have to say that when you're donning the purple and gold out in the streets, you tend to elicit more positive commentary. I don't think I have ever gotten anything less than a smile and a "Go Lakers!" when I'm sporting a shirt, hat, or jersey and on my way to the game.

I have a feeling you wouldn't get the same reaction if you wore those colors around here. :lol

Killakobe81
05-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Responses like this give the vibe that pointing out Hispanics are bandwagon fans struck a nerve with you somewhere......I wonder why

I disagree with the hispanic bandwagon stuff ... IN LA they were vatos, Loc's and upstanding mexican americans that I knew who stuck by the Raiders when they sucked, and ditto the Dodgers and the Lakers.

Yes all 3 franchises have had glory years but the hispanic community stuck through the bad years too ...at least in L.A.

The Gemini Method
05-13-2010, 10:46 AM
I have a feeling you wouldn't get the same reaction if you wore those colors around here. :lol

Thank you for stating the obvious there Tlong...

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-13-2010, 10:47 AM
I disagree with the hispanic bandwagon stuff ... IN LA they were vatos, Loc's and upstanding mexican americans that I knew who stuck by the Raiders when they sucked, and ditto the Dodgers and the Lakers.

Yes all 3 franchises have had glory years but the hispanic community stuck through the bad years too ...at least in L.A.

I'm sure the Yankees/Cowboys/Lakers fans in Phoenix are just some coincidence then.

LnGrrrR
05-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Hey LA fans, what do you guys think about the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim? :lol

The Gemini Method
05-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Hey LA fans, what do you guys think about the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim? :lol

I rarely refer to them as the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. It is a weird thing with them, but I notice no one calls them by their locale out here. They're simply known as the Angels for the most part. You have some people that call the the Anaheim Angels still and you have those that will refer to them (Media mostly) as the Los Angeles Angels. But to me, it seems that they're more referred as just the Angels.

*Interesting note...they were once actually the Los Angeles Angels...so I mean, I'm not sure what to make of 'em.

Killakobe81
05-13-2010, 11:09 AM
I'm sure the Yankees/Cowboys/Lakers fans in Phoenix are just some coincidence then.

I can not speak for the one's in Phoenix only L.A. and in Texas ... when i lived in NY ...not too many mexicans in NY PR and DR represents big time though ...

LnGrrrR
05-13-2010, 11:13 AM
I rarely refer to them as the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. It is a weird thing with them, but I notice no one calls them by their locale out here. They're simply known as the Angels for the most part. You have some people that call the the Anaheim Angels still and you have those that will refer to them (Media mostly) as the Los Angeles Angels. But to me, it seems that they're more referred as just the Angels.

*Interesting note...they were once actually the Los Angeles Angels...so I mean, I'm not sure what to make of 'em.

I just used their full name because it's ridiculous. :) But are they followed closely? Do Dodgers get 90% of the love, with 10% liking the Angels, much like the Yankees/Mets or Cubs/White Sox?

The Gemini Method
05-13-2010, 11:15 AM
I just used their full name because it's ridiculous. :) But are they followed closely? Do Dodgets get 90% of the love, with 10% liking the Angels, much like the Yankees/Mets or Cubs/White Sox?

Well, the Angels actually have a strong following in Los Angeles County. I would say its more along the lines of Yankees/Mets because the Dodgers have the history and legacy while the Angels are more of the younger team. They're in the top-5 for attendance annually along with the Dodgers. There is a good rivalry going since its been 22 years since the Dodgers have won the World Series and 8 since the Angels won theirs.

LnGrrrR
05-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Neato. Thanks for the info Gemini! :toast

The Gemini Method
05-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Neato. Thanks for the info Gemini! :toast

No problem.

panic giraffe
05-13-2010, 11:59 AM

i'm not "hispanic"

besides i've been a spurs fan since i was a kid, even during the late 80's "can robinson please just finish his contract to the navy" shit years. even when i didn't live in SA.

i don't know any "hispanics" that are bandwagon fans...there's bandwagon fan's in any ethnicity, so i don't know why you feel the need to add your prejudice...

The Gemini Method
05-13-2010, 12:01 PM
He's from Arizona...what'd you expect, Giraffe?

JoeTait75
05-13-2010, 01:24 PM
The durability and pervasiveness of the Steeler fanbase is two things - bandwagoners who like to root for winners, and the industrial exodus out of Pittsburgh over the last 20-30 years has spread that fanbase out geographically. They pass their team loyalties down to their kids and so on.

Except for the whole "winners" part you could be talking about the Browns. Even now, after 20 years of almost non-stop suckitude, there are a lot of Browns fans in attendance when they play in Miami, Tampa, Atlanta, San Diego etc. Back in the late '80s and early '90s Browns fans would be at those venues in huge numbers, as well as the L.A. Coliseum when the Raiders played there.

Cleveland and Pittsburgh have a lot in common, sports-wise. It goes, in order:

1.) Browns/Steelers = the alpha and omega

2.) Tribe/Pirates = compact but long-time and die-hard fanbases

3.) Cavaliers/Penguins = almost pure bandwagon. I

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-13-2010, 01:33 PM
He's from Arizona...what'd you expect, Giraffe?

Saying Mexicans in Phoenix are bandwagon fans has nothing to do with SB1070, it's simply stating fact. Sorry you're so offended by the equivalent of calling the sky blue.

Killakobe81
05-13-2010, 02:01 PM
To me nothing wrong with being a bandwqaggoner as long as you admit and dont pose as a diehard fan ...

I hate fake tough boy posers that talk the most trash but have only been followihng a team since the "glory days" ...

JustBlaze
05-13-2010, 02:02 PM
1st round exit.

z0sa
05-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Saying Mexicans in Phoenix are bandwagon fans has nothing to do with SB1070, it's simply stating fact. Sorry you're so offended by the equivalent of calling the sky blue.

Stereotype much?

Wait, we already know the answer to that question.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-13-2010, 02:11 PM
Stereotype much?

Wait, we already know the answer to that question.

lol hypocrite

Greg Oden
05-13-2010, 02:13 PM
To me nothing wrong with being a bandwqaggoner as long as you admit and dont pose as a diehard fan ...

I hate fake tough boy posers that talk the most trash but have only been followihng a team since the "glory days" ...
What is your level of formal education? There's always a couple words per post that you manage to butcher.

JoeTait75
05-13-2010, 02:18 PM
I don't see why it's such a horrible thing to stereotype certain groups for having a high percentage of bandwagon sports fans. It's not as if it's some kind of grave insult or a call for persecution or anything like that. IOW, who fucking cares?

z0sa
05-13-2010, 02:18 PM
lol hypocrite

lol has thousands of posts "joking" about racism then calls others hypocrites

Ghazi
05-13-2010, 02:20 PM
lol racist rich jew faggot.

Greg Oden
05-13-2010, 02:21 PM
lol racist rich jew faggot.

fat.

Ghazi
05-13-2010, 02:21 PM
:tu

Basketballgirl25
05-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Sure, the fans don't show up to games when the team sucks, but that's 90% of NBA cities

Ask the Nets if this is true, fans didn't show up when they were in the Finals in 2002 and 2003, but that most likely is because of the location they were in Newark should help that. So fans don't show up even if a team is good:lol. I have to say though I know more Net fans who are loyal then Knick or any other fans that I talk with

GuerillaBlack
05-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Dallas is Cowboys, Cowboys, Cowboys. The only thing I've ever seen like it when it comes to rabid zealotry from the natives is Texas Longhorn football in Austin. Austin is still a hippie dippie town in some ways, but Longhorns football is as huge there as the Cowboys are in DFW.

The Rangers are the second most important franchise locally. They have a solid and loyal core in their fanbase that has stuck with them throughout their history, which is mostly littered with failure. They draw two million even when they suck, which is usually the case. If the Rangers ever actually threatened to do some serious damage in the playoffs, it would be a big, big deal and the bandwagon would fill up quick.

The Mavs and Stars I think only really thrive and draw when they're good. The Mavs are a distant third in importance to the Rangers and Cowboys, but they've outperformed them in meeting fan expectations for the past 10 years.

Don't agree. When I lived in DFW (2006-2009), the Rangers and Mavs were switched. When the Rangers did good last season, their bandwagon filled up and it looks to have stayed.

For Houston, I'd say its Texans, Astros, Rockets, Dynamo. Astros probably have the most loyal fanbase, but the Texans fanbase would explode if the team made the playoffs. Hell, the whole city would. The Rockets have a great following, but people seem to care more after the All-Star Break and into the playoffs. The Dynamo have one of the highest attendance per game in the MLS and easily have the most rabid fanbase out of the bunch...which is weird because you don't hear much about the team. That will change with their new stadium in Downtown.

poop
05-13-2010, 07:05 PM
Portland, Salt Lake, San Antonio, the one-team towns- those are the best NBA cities. Oklahoma City is going to be a great NBA city too.

this :hat

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-13-2010, 07:07 PM
lol has thousands of posts "joking" about racism then calls others hypocrites

Does your dumb ass know what a hypocrite is? I can make as many racial jokes as I want without being a hypocrite since I don't criticize others for doing the same. You on the other hand are a hypocrite.

Daddy_Of_All_Trolls
05-13-2010, 07:19 PM
I am a fan of my team, even though they suck. I enjoy basketball an will always root for whoever wins the west, it doesn't matter who.

On a side note, every team has fans outside of their community, across not only America, but the world.