PDA

View Full Version : Mason's Hand Needs Surgery

Shastafarian
05-13-2010, 11:23 AM
I want to punch something. Via his twitter:

Just found out I have to have surgery on my hand :tomorrow. / I tried fighting thru it all season, but it is what it is...smh

Gee maybe you shouldn't have played then smart guy. A player with a torn ligament in his shooting hand who relies on jump shots...sounds like a case for "suck it up and play" to me!

Riverwalkman
05-13-2010, 11:28 AM
That's why he sucked so bad.

duhoh
05-13-2010, 11:28 AM
well, given the results, he should have went for it in the beginning

rjv
05-13-2010, 11:29 AM
maybe they can also operate on his lateral movement, decision making process of his brain and also his court vision.

Shastafarian
05-13-2010, 11:32 AM
well, given the results, he should have went for it in the beginning

They shouldn't have waited for the results. Of course a jump shooter is gonna suck with a torn ligament in his shooting hand. He should've had the surgery when the injury occurred. He and the staff fucked up.

MateoNeygro
05-13-2010, 11:34 AM
Shit happens. Wonder if anybody will want this guy after the year he had.

hater
05-13-2010, 11:34 AM
excuses, excuses

dbestpro
05-13-2010, 11:41 AM
What you bet he gets resigned following a good bill of health. Can't believe no one on the medical staff knew about the hand. I doubt it was a Mason alone decision.

Shastafarian
05-13-2010, 11:46 AM
What you bet he gets resigned following a good bill of health. Can't believe no one on the medical staff knew about the hand. I doubt it was a Mason alone decision.

They knew it was a torn ligament. I'm not a doctor but I'm not sure how they expected it to heal by itself when he continued to strain and stress it by playing basketball.

ElNono
05-13-2010, 11:48 AM
He sure didn't try fighting through screens all season. smh

tmtcsc
05-13-2010, 11:49 AM
So...his hand broke during the 2008-2009 playoffs against Dallas ?

Broken hand or not, he was awful. A broken hand doesn't stop you from staying in front of the guy you are defending.

michaelwcho
05-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Man, you guys are harsh. The guy plays with a painful serious injury and you go after him for it.

Shastafarian
05-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Man, you guys are harsh. The guy plays with a painful serious injury and you go after him for it.

Because he shouldn't have played. It's one thing when an injured player can play through his pain. Mason's 30% shooting in April and 8% in the playoffs proves he couldn't. He should've been honest (if he was then the medical staff is to blame) about his ability to fight through it.

z0sa
05-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Even Mason's body parts are failures.

flacura
05-13-2010, 11:59 AM
he could takes 4 or 5 years free at home to recover ok ok ok ok ;)

Martin R
05-13-2010, 12:08 PM
after this post he did, he also need a brain surgery.....maybe a head one....

Shastafarian
05-13-2010, 12:11 PM
I wonder if one of our insiders might be able to tell us whose decision it was for him to play. I'm not trying to be cynical but Mason did know this was a contract year. Sitting out for months doesn't get the $$$. Then again neither does shooting 8% in the playoffs.

Dex
05-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Well at least that explains why he was shooting like crap. I don't remember when that splint showed up either, but he was wearing that for a while.

Could just be a CYA statement to NBA teams to excuse his crappy play this season.

Honestly though, I don't think you can expect much from a one-dimensional shooter with a busted gun, so if it really is bad enough to require surgery, maybe it does reasonably explain his drastic drop off in productivity.

Shastafarian
05-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Well at least that explains why he was shooting like crap. I don't remember when that splint showed up either, but he was wearing that for a while.

Could just be a CYA statement to NBA teams to excuse his crappy play this season.

Honestly though, I don't think you can expect much from a one-dimensional shooter with a busted gun, so if it really is bad enough to require surgery, maybe it does reasonably explain his drastic drop off in productivity.

Mason has dealt with finger trouble since partially tearing a ligament on February 21st

http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nba/Roger_Mason_Jr./862325

Trainwreck2100
05-13-2010, 12:14 PM
well maybe while he's under theyll throw in a head out of ass removal a a freebie

egtonecity
05-13-2010, 12:18 PM
This tends to happen to guys when the only thing they beat is their meat.

Good luck with switching to your off hand ... it will feel like a stranger at first.

Bender
05-13-2010, 12:32 PM
it's a cover story for his poor performance all season

Quiet Strength
05-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Even Mason's body parts are failures.

:lmao

sammy
05-13-2010, 12:36 PM
Well that explains Mason shooting was horrible. I've always liked Mason and especially when he hit that 3 point shot against the Lakers when Kobe did the nasty dance and thought he won the game and then Mason shot the winning shot and mimicked Kobe LOL!

benefactor
05-13-2010, 12:39 PM
He's not the Spurs problem anymore, so I don't really care.

jjktkk
05-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Without having any expertise on medical issues, it sounds like the Spurs doctors told Mason that he can play with the injury without further damaging the hand. Of course we all know how the results worked out.

cd98
05-13-2010, 01:15 PM
He didn't have the injury in the 2008-2009 playoffs and he missed all his shots then too.

blkroadrunners
05-13-2010, 01:29 PM
I'm really not suprised he's been having hand problems for the 2nd half of the season, due to his shooting slump.

What I am suprised of is why Pop immediately played him the following game or 2 after he tore his ligament, and continued to do so as the season and playoffs progressed.

jermaine
05-13-2010, 01:32 PM
after this post he did, he also need a brain surgery.....maybe a head one....

I know I need a head doctor right about now! Just give me brains at least & hour. With a big ass, a ponytail I can pull, & some heels on. Why the heels u ask!?! Idk, It jus sounds & look sexy when a hoe wearing em while givin you brains!

duhoh
05-13-2010, 02:07 PM
They shouldn't have waited for the results. Of course a jump shooter is gonna suck with a torn ligament in his shooting hand. He should've had the surgery when the injury occurred. He and the staff fucked up.

that's what i said :downspin:

timvp
05-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Trying to boost free agent stock . . .

Spurs Brazil
05-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Mason is lame. Now trying to explain why he sucks so bad.

Da Spurs
05-13-2010, 02:46 PM
I'm sure he's having hand surgery just to boost his free agency. Might as well scope his knees as well, that might get him even more money.

Shastafarian
05-13-2010, 02:55 PM
that's what i said :downspin:

I know. I was just expounding on your post.

admiralsnackbar
05-13-2010, 02:55 PM
I wonder if one of our insiders might be able to tell us whose decision it was for him to play. I'm not trying to be cynical but Mason did know this was a contract year. Sitting out for months doesn't get the $$$. Then again neither does shooting 8% in the playoffs.

Agreed. The fact that he was lobbying for a trade or playing time suggests he was the one pushing for playing time not the organization. He probably thought he could play through it. Noble.

Stupid, but noble.

Bender
05-13-2010, 03:00 PM

Trying to boost free agent stock . . .
beat you to it, timvp

bigdog
05-13-2010, 03:05 PM
Who cares? He sucked before the injury, too. We all knew he had the torn ligament, but he and the Spurs agreed to let him keep playing, and like others have said, there's no way he has surgery during the season and has to sit out during a contract year.

Dex
05-13-2010, 03:08 PM

Beat you to it, too :p: I think someone probably beat me to it, as well.

Not too hard to read imbetween the lines on this one.

TheProfessor
05-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Don't care. Go away.

Bender
05-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Beat you to it, too :p: I think someone probably beat me to it, as well.oh man, you're right! I didn't see your post before I originally posted... oh well, I'm too slow as usual. :toast

Dex
05-13-2010, 03:14 PM
oh man, you're right! I didn't see your post before I originally posted... oh well, I'm too slow as usual. :toast

Gotta keep your head on a swivel around these parts. :downspin: :lol

CubanMustGo
05-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Maybe he can get a heart transplant while he's at it.

benefactor
05-13-2010, 03:22 PM
He's not the Spurs problem anymore, so I don't really care.

Don't care. Go away.
:tu

crc21209
05-13-2010, 05:19 PM
he's not the spurs problem anymore, so i don't really care.

+1.

MaNu4Tres
05-13-2010, 05:28 PM

He sucked before dating back to the playoffs and he still sucks.

The guy sucks in all phases of the game.

By far the most horrible Spur I've seen in the past decade. Most over-hyped Spur coming into this year.

I'd take Shawnelle Scott over him. At least Shawnelle knows his limits offensively and doesn't try to put the ball on the floor for an easy 2 the other way.

Russ
05-13-2010, 08:13 PM
The Hegelian dialectic analysis:

Thesis -- Mason wants to excuse his poor shooting for pending free agency.

Antithesis -- The Spurs didn't want to lose a guy to rehab that they had no use for past this season.

Synthesis -- The Spurs medical staff is not particularly astute (as the Mahinimi fans claim)?

senorglory
05-13-2010, 09:34 PM

so he says. now. after a dreadful year, and no prospects for next year. i think rather than an injured hand, he has an aggressive agent.

cd98
05-13-2010, 09:40 PM
What's sad is he probably shot himself out of the NBA.

Da Spurs
05-13-2010, 09:54 PM
Spurs medical staff is as good as it gets. So forget that as any reason or synthesis or whatever the hell you want to call it.

greyforest
05-14-2010, 12:20 AM

congrats, mason tricked u

Cant_Be_Faded
05-14-2010, 12:30 AM
You guys are assholes.

If he needs surgery that's pretty serious. I'm not saying his life is in danger, but if his right hand was messed up and he was already a weak dribbler and a jump shooter only, surely this would have been part of the reason he sucked ass.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want him back but I think the guy deserves more than a complete shitheap thrown at him from this board.

Shastafarian
05-14-2010, 12:31 AM
You guys are assholes.

If he needs surgery that's pretty serious.

If it was pretty serious he should have had it done when the injury occurred instead of waiting and further stressing it.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-14-2010, 12:40 AM
If a guy plays hurt and succeeds everyone calls him a warrior and a hero, if he plays hurt and sucks everyone gives him the Mookie Manu treatment.

Cane
05-14-2010, 12:43 AM
Hard to have much sympathy for Mason Jr. especially after he wanted more minutes or a trade. Shame that Miami couldn't follow through since their second round pick expired or some shit.

He does have a pretty good highlight where he sank the game-winning 3 on X-Mas day @ PHX but since last years playoffs to now he's been the worst player on the Spurs.

D. Nile
05-14-2010, 12:54 AM
Ruddy terrible tidings for the lad. He's in the last year of his contract, he played fancy cack, he needs surgery and the lad probably can't even wank the ol' trouser snake. The lad has to be in a hump.

Toodle pip!

kromediablo
05-14-2010, 01:08 AM
Well then maybe you should have given your spot to Malik hairston in the rotation.............seriously

Shastafarian
05-14-2010, 01:48 AM
If a guy plays hurt and succeeds everyone calls him a warrior and a hero, if he plays hurt and sucks everyone gives him the Mookie Manu treatment.

Yeah because playing with a torn ligament in your shooting hand, while only possessing one quality (hint: it has to do with shooting), sets one up for success. I'm pretty sure rational people wanted him to sit out when they heard he had a torn ligament in his hand. I know I did.

mingus
05-14-2010, 02:52 AM
he had a problem with his balls long before the hand injury. RMJ sucked ass before he got hurt. his shit performace this season started long before the hand injury.

it's pretty funny that he's trying to raise his stock. forget it, Roger. go to your nearest book store and pick up a book on how to speak Chinese. that's the only league that can use your services. you're not NBA material.

ploto
05-14-2010, 06:18 AM
Hard to have much sympathy for Mason Jr. especially after he wanted more minutes or a trade.

Do you know how many players do the exact same thing? In this day and age it just gets out to the public more than in the past.

As to his hand, be mad at Pop for playing him.

Riverwalkman
05-14-2010, 07:36 AM
Spurs now lacks for athleticism, so Mason's potential problem becomes real problem.

If this is 02-03 Spurs, Mason may play a Kerr's role.

Riverwalkman
05-14-2010, 07:41 AM
it's pretty funny that he's trying to raise his stock. forget it, Roger. go to your nearest book store and pick up a book on how to speak Chinese. that's the only league that can use your services. you're not NBA material.
Well...I'm Chinese and I think Chinese basketball might not be so bad as you think. We had Stephon Marbury, Bonzi Wells, and Chris Anderson at his prime. Of course, Yao had played in the league before his NBA career.

Chinese NT had achieved 8th spot in Olympics and World Championships, so you should give another example for RMJ.

TJastal
05-14-2010, 07:51 AM
So his hand really was fucked up. Like, seriously fucked up. Yet Pop continued to use him in the rotation all the way to the end. Despite having a guy who played his ass off and was 100% healthy (Garret Temple).

Not really Mason's fault here, IMO.. Most players want to play thru injuries, esp if your minutes are already on ration, like Mason's were. Mason shouldn't have seen the court from about mid-April on. This is totally on the coach. Which doesn't surprise me.

cantthinkofanything
05-14-2010, 04:47 PM
Well...I'm Chinese and I think Chinese basketball might not be so bad as you think. We had Stephon Marbury, Bonzi Wells, and Chris Anderson at his prime. Of course, Yao had played in the league before his NBA career.

Chinese NT had achieved 8th spot in Olympics and World Championships, so you should give another example for RMJ.

All this AND you get to eat dogs!

Bartleby
05-14-2010, 05:12 PM
he had a problem with his balls long before the hand injury. RMJ sucked ass before he got hurt. his shit performace this season started long before the hand injury.

This.

Look at his numbers pre and post injury. They're pretty much the same.

benefactor
05-14-2010, 08:29 PM
So his hand really was fucked up. Like, seriously fucked up. Yet Pop continued to use him in the rotation all the way to the end. Despite having a guy who played his ass off and was 100% healthy (Garret Temple).

Not really Mason's fault here, IMO.. Most players want to play thru injuries, esp if your minutes are already on ration, like Mason's were. Mason shouldn't have seen the court from about mid-April on. This is totally on the coach. Which doesn't surprise me.

Look at his numbers pre and post injury. They're pretty much the same.
:tu

Biggems
05-15-2010, 10:49 AM
we should have traded him when we had the chance, even if for nothing more than a draft pick....at least get something for him.

MaNu4Tres
05-15-2010, 11:26 AM
we should have traded him when we had the chance, even if for nothing more than a draft pick....at least get something for him.

Some people were pointing out that his production would go down considerably with the additions of a healthy Manu and RJ taking up most of the minutes at the wing.

These people then pointed out he should be traded while his stock was high all summer last year and the masses disagreed and argued about how valuable he would be.

Amazing how that turned out.