PDA

View Full Version : what if ???

Taz1
08-20-2004, 11:41 AM
what would have happened if san antonio's tim duncan would have chozen to concentrate on his swimming career, rather than basketball ?

what do you all think he would've done in the olympics, with that seven foot frame diving into the pool, say competing in the 200 meter freestyle event ?

i, personally don't think that the young man from australia, ian "thorpe-do" would have had some of those events so easy, and thorpe would have had to swim that much harder & faster to win all those medals !

i mean, what do you think you would have ahead of you, when you walk into the olympic pool, and you see that seven-footer lining up with you in your event ?

From Way Downtown
08-20-2004, 11:54 AM
I know that Tim was a good age-group swimmer at 13, and reached national rankings in the 400 free. But being a good age group swimmer is one thing; being an Olympic class swimmer is something else entirely; and being at the top of the Olympic class in international swimming is an amazingly difficult thing to accomplish. But national rankings tend to show a nation's depth more than they show the eliteness of a particular swimmer. I'd be more willing to buy that Tim could have pressed guys like Thorpe if he had reached a point of being #1 in his age group at some point or had set an age group record.

Besides, had Tim stuck with swimming, his competitive days would have likely been over around the time of the Sydney Olympics. Take the 400 free medalists this year -- Thorpe (22), Grant Hackett (24), Klete Keller (22) -- and Tim, at 28, looks like a greybeard.

Frankly, I'm REALLY glad that Tim chose to pursue basketball. Let's leave the Thorpe chasing to Phelps and Keller.

Adrienne18
08-20-2004, 11:56 AM
You never know, he's gifted athletically...whether he focused it on basketball or swimming could have made a difference. No guarantees of course, but he is definately an athlete, and therefore could have been up there in swimming as well.

utsagolfpb
08-20-2004, 11:59 AM
What if my aunt had balls, she would be my uncle.

What if Spud Webb was a jockey, would he be the best ever? Shoemaker be damned?

What if Yao Ming was a ping pong player, could you imagine lining up to a 7'5" power server.

What if Manute Bol continued to play soccer, would he be better than Pele?

What if a Sumo wrestler was an NHL goalie, would he be better than Hasek?

IF there was an advantage, don't you think there would be more 7 footers in the pool. C'mon Taz, think before you type.

08-20-2004, 12:02 PM
Peter

You forgot "What if grasshoppers had shotguns? Then birds wouldn't **** with them."

utsagolfpb
08-20-2004, 12:08 PM
yessssss!

I forgot that one.....

Awesome.

Taz1
08-20-2004, 02:36 PM
all i was attempting to point out was the fact that b4 duncan even started to think about hoops, he was training to be a swimmer, and if that hurricane, i fail to remember which one it was, i think it was andrew, that ripped through the u.s. virgin islands, and, sub sequentially destroyed the training pool where tim trained, hadn't have gone their way, tim might have stayed with his training for swimming !

and, if that was the case, then who knows what duncan's name might be world re-known for, now ?

i was thinking that earlier in this year's olympics, when they were giving the "tale of the tape", on australia's ian thorpe, and they mentioned that he was about 6'5", or 6'7" !

can u imagine "thorpe-do" coming into the swimming venue, thinking he's "barney bad-ass", and then he looks over to the other side of the pool, and sees tim, @ 7' smiling at him with that "i've got ur ass" smile ?

Taz1
08-20-2004, 02:40 PM
p.s. if anybody's aunt did, in fact have balls, she would be their uncle !

i don't think there would be any "what ifs" !

CosmicCowboyXXX
08-20-2004, 02:56 PM
If only...

http://www.regalweb.co.uk/loony/animated/pig2.gif

tlongII
08-20-2004, 03:59 PM
What if Taz made a good post?