PDA

View Full Version : shaq for vet min?

Darthkiller
05-14-2010, 12:41 PM
cant be worse than what the spurs have right now right?

shaq still averaged 12 and 7 in the playoffs

Mal
05-14-2010, 12:43 PM
not going to happen

SpursRulez4eVeR
05-14-2010, 12:44 PM
yea, he can definitely foul harder than bonner.

:vomit:

DesignatedT
05-14-2010, 12:44 PM
im down.

Dex
05-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Old and busted. No thanks.

Refocus
05-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Couldn't make the team FT% any worse. :P

FalleNxWiZarDx
05-14-2010, 12:48 PM
With the spurs style of play, we need a Center that can Shoot

Cane
05-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Shaq actually shot better than Duncan from the free throw line...66% versus 48%

He won't be coming here though. Rather see him on TNT than in a NBA jersey next year.

SenorSpur
05-14-2010, 12:50 PM
:rolleyes

:drunk

:vomit:

:shootme

sa_butta
05-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Are we really that desparate??

No thanks he is broken.

Darthkiller
05-14-2010, 12:54 PM

pretty sure spurs won title with oberto at center. didnt know he could shoot.

sa_butta
05-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Correction we need a Center that can rebound and play defense.

rjv
05-14-2010, 01:04 PM
he's better than ian at least but that is all i can say about shaq at this time.

Blake
If the Spurs can swing it, I'm thumbs up for it.

SsKSpurs21
shaq and tim would clog the lane...the rest of the guys would end up being jumpshooters. we need a defensive big that can shoot the three (lamar odom type) to space the floor and open the lane on offense and provide weak side help on defense.

Go For Tree
05-14-2010, 01:09 PM
Listen to what hes saying you guys. Of course the Spurs FO should try for this. For the vet min, there is no obligation of how many minutes to invest in him. Theres pretty much no bust factor. His size and exp could be vital. Shaq for 12 - 18 mpg is not a bad filler.

The problem however, is to convince shaq to accept the min... There will be other teams that would willingly pay more.

I am stoned. :smokin

baseline bum
05-14-2010, 01:14 PM
The Spurs need a big to play defense. Not to eat Krispy Kremes.

sa_butta
05-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Can you imagine our FT shooting percentage with the addition of Shaq???
Im sure we could break some kind of record for lowest team percentage.

mogrovejo
05-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Shaq should retire. He's too much of a defensive liability these days. Creates too many poor mismatches for his own team. Hard to build a line-up around a guy with such deep weaknesses. He's a quality 4th big you can play/not play depending on the matchups.

Dex
05-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Reconsidering the question AS POSED....

I would do Shaq for the veteran minimum, but no more. If he's willing to play here for that, then his production is worth it.

That being said, I'd still worry about him breaking down through the season and trying to only show up for the playoffs, thus disrupting the chemistry of the team, just because that is what he has done the past 3 seasons. Secondly, I sincerely doubt Shaq would want to come to the Spurs, and I think many Spurs fans wouldn't want him either.

fivehoursfree
05-14-2010, 01:43 PM
He should go to the Magic and complete the circle of life.

MateoNeygro
05-14-2010, 01:46 PM
For the minimum only. Anything less and I'd say no. It would be bittersweet if they won a championship because I want Tim to end with more Rings than Shaq.

MateoNeygro
05-14-2010, 01:47 PM
For the minimum only. Anything less and I'd say no. It would be bittersweet if they won a championship because I want Tim to end with more Rings than Shaq.

My bad. Correction: ***anything more than the minimum.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-14-2010, 01:51 PM
http://blacksportsonline.com/index/2009/04/11/shaq.jpg
+http://www.funfonix.com/clipart1/pick.jpg
+http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_nvWgMkmFQCE/SA1eZ8BS73I/AAAAAAAAA_8/C80DcGILZp0/s400/Toilet+roll.jpg
__________________________________________________ _______________

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06jadR4edR5Kx/610x.jpg

MateoNeygro
He should go to the Magic and complete the circle of life.

hahahah

guzmangm
Depends on the situation. I could see benefits to having size on the front court in certain matchups. Would play limited minutes and have to accept limited role during season, save him, and situational playoff time. I could see him in playoff roster. Maybe mentor Blair to add to skill set. Couldn't be worse, Tim was by himself under the hoop during the playoffs.

MaNu4Tres
05-14-2010, 01:59 PM
cant be worse than what the spurs have right now right?

shaq still averaged 12 and 7 in the playoffs

Wouldn't average that on the Spurs, making your point based on stats irrelevant.

I rather resign Mahimni instead of signing Shaq. He's pretty bad at this stage of his career and would be a liability on both ends of the court.

sananspursfan21
05-14-2010, 02:03 PM
i'd rather see the spurs go with some long term fixes. TD and Manu are getting old yes, but i'm kinda tired of these spare tire type players (McDyess, he's great but he's gonna retire in a year or two). the time has passed to get andray blatche though.

purist
05-14-2010, 02:13 PM
the last two teams that thought Shaq could help get them over the hump, underachieved. Phoenix and Cleveland.

JonNOKC
05-14-2010, 02:14 PM
For Vet min its a no brainer - the problem you have is will he be ok coming off bench - would be perfect backup to TD - but his ego prob wouldn't allow it - think you could limit Duncan's minutes to 32-34 minutes a night and give Shaq 12-18 a night and always have a low post scoring threat on the floor

Arrowch4
05-14-2010, 02:19 PM
:lmao
Couldn't make the team FT% any worse. :P

Muser
05-14-2010, 02:47 PM
pretty sure spurs won title with oberto at center. didnt know he could shoot.

Oberto hit the one shot we needed him to make, clutch motherfucker.

EricB
05-14-2010, 03:02 PM
For the vet minimum? Uh he'll yes.

Amarelooms
05-14-2010, 03:22 PM
He'll sign with Dallas before Spurs...he loves Cuban and the city of Dallas

:elephant

Chillen
05-14-2010, 03:27 PM
http://cache.deadspin.com/images/2006/05/nashmvptrophy.jpg

LMFAO, great pic.

peskypesky
05-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Shaq can't get it done. Offensively he still has a little gas in the tank, but on defense he's just not mobile enough anymore. he was never great at defending the pick & roll, but now he's just a liability.

TheSullyMonster
05-14-2010, 04:21 PM
His size and exp could be vital.

Size, sure. But I didn't realize we were a young team lacking in experience and missing somebody who could tell all the young'uns how to to win a title.:lol

DesignatedT
05-14-2010, 04:23 PM
He'll sign with Dallas before Spurs...he loves Cuban and the city of Dallas

:elephant

ok.

SenorSpur
05-14-2010, 04:43 PM
It amazes me that folks are still buying Shaq's selfish, bullshit act and cannot see him for the team cancer that he really is - and has been at every stop. This is only the fourth team that he's brought down with his negativity and selfishness.

None of this was a big deal when he was the most dominant player in the NBA. Now that he's just a butler, it IS a big deal.

Once Mike Brown is fired, let's check back to see how many stories we get regarding Shaq's lockerroom politicking and coach-killing.

TD 21
05-14-2010, 08:03 PM
O'Neal would be a terrible fit. The Spurs need a mobile, athletic big man; not a guy who makes Duncan and McDyess look mobile. Splitter, theoretically, is a (near) perfect fit. He's not a great shot blocker and can't shoot, but the most basic needs in a big that the Spurs have, he theoretically fills.

If Splitter signs and fits in as well as many suspect he will, the front line should be very good. The pieces may not fit great together, but they should at least fit fairly well at minimum and the talent/depth would be virtually unmatched league wide. Assuming Blair improves (and even if he doesn't), name another team with a fourth big the caliber of Blair? Sure, the Spurs don't have a second big the caliber of Bynum or even Perkins, but two-four they'd be solid.

sabar
05-14-2010, 08:19 PM
No thanks, he has looked terrible the past couple of years. He literally just stands still and does nothing on most plays.

cd98
05-14-2010, 08:44 PM
No thanks. He's a shell of his former and a bad chemistry guy. Every team he leaves he bad mouths: Magic, Lakers, Heat, And Suns. He can't accept that he is no longer a star or even an impact player on the floor.

Not a superstar and not Spurs material for a role player. Move along.

easy7
05-14-2010, 10:09 PM
Snaq will not take the minimum...I would be shocked if he did.

bigfan
05-14-2010, 10:25 PM
For the vet minimum sure, why not? He would be better than Mahimi or whaever that bag of crap is named.

Blackjack
05-14-2010, 10:48 PM
It amazes me that folks are still buying Shaq's selfish, bullshit act and cannot see him for the team cancer that he really is - and has been at every stop. This is only the fourth team that he's brought down with his negativity and selfishness.

None of this was a big deal when he was the most dominant player in the NBA. Now that he's just a butler, it IS a big deal.

Once Mike Brown is fired, let's check back to see how many stories we get regarding Shaq's lockerroom politicking and coach-killing.

Si, Senor. :tu

If it was just about him playing a role off the bench and contributing what he could when matchups dictated, he'd definitely be worth the minimum. There's just two problems with that: 1.) It's not; and 2.) He's not playing for the minimum.

Shaq had little-to-no business playing against Boston. The team could've very well been still playing had Mike Brown's prestige been that of a Riley, Jackson or Pop and had he the credibility and autonomy to tell Shaq, "Sit your ass on the bench and wait for Orlando. That's what you're here for."

That's not to say he couldn't and shouldn't have seen any minutes in the series, but he shouldn't have been playing in front of Varejao, Ilgauskas, and maybe even Hickson.

Shaq's a cancer at this point. He's a great player that's no longer great but he still carries the same pride and expects a certain amount of respect and leeway afforded to him -- he "deserves" his minutes and how the hell is Brown's no-ring-havin' ass gonna tell him different.

mogrovejo is exactly right: It's time to retire Shaq.

hsxvvd
05-14-2010, 11:54 PM
He should retire, he's been done for at least 3 years now.

SenorSpur
05-15-2010, 03:09 AM
Si, Senor. :tu

If it was just about him playing a role off the bench and contributing what he could when matchups dictated, he'd definitely be worth the minimum. There's just two problems with that: 1.) It's not; and 2.) He's not playing for the minimum.

Shaq had little-to-no business playing against Boston. The team could've very well been still playing had Mike Brown's prestige been that of a Riley, Jackson or Pop and had he the credibility and autonomy to tell Shaq, "Sit your ass on the bench and wait for Orlando. That's what you're here for."

That's not to say he couldn't and shouldn't have seen any minutes in the series, but he shouldn't have been playing in front of Varejao, Ilgauskas, and maybe even Hickson.

Shaq's a cancer at this point. He's a great player that's no longer great but he still carries the same pride and expects a certain amount of respect and leeway afforded to him -- he "deserves" his minutes and how the hell is Brown's no-ring-havin' ass gonna tell him different.

mogrovejo is exactly right: It's time to retire Shaq.

Blackjack, you're exactly right, too! :tu

Coach Mike Brown was in a "lose-lose" situation. He was forced to play Shaq because the Big Faker started - and stop me if you've heard this one before -- "grumbling loudly in the lockerroom about his minutes and his touches." By sitting the Big Cactus, the Cavs would've likely stood a better chance at beating the Celtics because they would've been able to play faster.

Unfortunately for Brown, he was backed into a corner by trying to appease Shaq & LeBron, in honor of preserving team chemistry. It was a battle he simply coudn't win and one he'll likely lose his job over it. I heard ESPN's Ric Bucher comment that one of Shaq's common complaints is that "I have rings. How many does this coach have?" Did the same thing in Miami. Same thing in Phoenix. Therefore, it's only logical that he'd do the same thing in CLE.

Meanwhile, Shaq will complain his way out of town and likely into the arms of another sucker GM, who thinks he's got something left. Shaq has become the NBA's answer to Terrell Owens. A once-dominant, great player, who was a selfish, self-centered, lockerroom cancer in his heyday, and one who is even more of a pain in the ass, now that his skills have rapidly declined and his days are numbered. A pathetic, over-the-hill mercenary, moving around from team-to-team, trying to hang on for a paycheck.

Darkwaters
05-15-2010, 05:01 AM
I'd take him for the vet minimum. For a penny over that probably not.

WalterBenitez
05-15-2010, 08:11 AM
Another great body at FTs, defnitely consistent with our skills.