PDA

View Full Version : Will an NBA team ever blow a 3-0 series lead?

Jacob1983
05-15-2010, 12:44 AM
The NBA is the only sport in North America where this has never happened. It's happened once in baseball and three times in hockey. The Bruins just did it tonight making them the third team in the history of NHL to blow a 3-0 series lead. For some strange reason, it just seems like it would be extremely difficult for a team in the NBA to win 4 games in a row in a series when you have lost the first 3. Isn't the number of teams that have forced a game 7 after being down 0-3 in the series really small? I know that the Mavs almost choked a 3-0 lead in the first round against the Blazers in 2003 but they won game 7.

poop
05-15-2010, 12:50 AM
yes it will probably happen, and it will likely once again be the Mavs that set the standard.

afterall the Mavs so far have 3 records (first 2nd seed to lose to a 7th seed in a best of 7first round, first 1st seed to lose to an 8th in best of 7 first round, as well as first *something seed, i forgot* to lose to an *inferior* seed back in '87.

scottspurs
05-15-2010, 01:00 AM
As long as the Mavericks are still a team it can be done.

Baseline
05-15-2010, 01:03 AM
You must be patient, my son.

I have every confidence that the Mavs will accomplish this feat.

BRHornet45
05-15-2010, 01:04 AM

son you took the words right out of my mouth .... as long as Dirk is in the NBA, there is always a chance.

Ghazi
05-15-2010, 01:05 AM
Enjoy your 45-37 years next year Hornets/Spurs fans

lol Paul and Duncan

meanwhile

<----------------

poop
05-15-2010, 01:24 AM

You must be patient, my son.

I have every confidence that the Mavs will accomplish this feat.

son you took the words right out of my mouth .... as long as Dirk is in the NBA, there is always a chance.

bahahahhahahahahhahahaha great posts, epic thread backfire :lmao

4>0rings
05-15-2010, 01:31 AM
this

Jacob1983
05-15-2010, 02:09 AM
I don't see how the thread backfired. I was simply asking a question about 3-0 leads. I know that a lot of people on here orgasm over the failures of the Mavs. Sad but true. I can list some failures of the Lakers and Spurs if this is what this thread is going to be about. Yes, those teams have had failures. It hasn't always been rainbows and lollipops for those spoiled teams.

Giuseppe
05-15-2010, 02:44 AM
It'll happen.

Like I said when the Suns were working the Spurs like a part time job= at first blush it doesn't look that bad. One needs only to asshole Game 5 in order to get back home for Game 6. Game 7 then is a toss up according to conventional wisdom.

The problem is by 3-0 a habit has formulated that is difficult to break for each team. It's not a cyclical problem, but, one of structure, and structure is static.

N4th4n
05-15-2010, 03:11 AM
The problem is by 3-0 a habit has formulated that is difficult to break for each team. It's not a cyclical problem, but, one of structure, and structure is static.

Structure is inherently static.

The failure to come back from a 3-0 deficit is not cyclical. You clearly don't know what cyclical means. It implies both high and low points within a reoccurring system. What you refer to is a repetitive occurrence.

I hope you can come back with something original and meaningful, not a partially digested empty phrase.
If not, I think this becomes the 5th thread I have chased you out of.

Giuseppe
05-15-2010, 03:40 AM

The failure to come back from a 3-0 deficit is not cyclical. You clearly don't know what cyclical means. It implies both high and low points within a reoccurring system. What you refer to is a repetitive occurrence.

I hope you can come back with something original and meaningful, not a partially digested empty phrase.

Echoing me again.

Try this one: O & 41!

LnGrrrR
05-15-2010, 03:54 AM
It could easily happen, much the way my Bruins got humiliated: lose a star player, while the other team gets one back. That really changed the whole series.

ChrisRichards
05-15-2010, 03:57 AM
If teams can lose a 3-1 lead, then I guess this is also possible. My bet is that this happens in Nowitzki's timeline.

Ghazi
05-15-2010, 04:00 AM
Echoing me again.

Try this one: O & 41!

give em hell cubby!

and in 1 week, O & 42!!

lmvicariousao!!

Giuseppe
05-15-2010, 04:02 AM
give em hell cubby!

and in 1 week, O & 42!!

lmvicariousao!!

I'm heartened.

cobbler
05-15-2010, 04:16 AM
0 & 42 is just a chapter in the CLEANSING. Surely you can see it unfolding no? The Lakers are now being lined up to vanquish their last decades deamons all in one swoop on their run to the 16th title. Suns and Celts... How sweet! Well have to save Detroit for some other day when they are relevant again.

The basketball gods do truly love the Lakers. It's nice to be blessed! :toast

Kai
05-15-2010, 04:29 AM

That's not necessarily true. Go look in a dictionary please.

XFactor
05-15-2010, 07:16 AM
The only way I can see this happening is if a team loses its superstar in game 3 or something and then end up losing 4 straight.

pauls931
05-15-2010, 07:35 AM
Suns tried but could only blow 3-1 at best.

resistanze
05-15-2010, 08:29 AM
I don't even think a team down 0-3 has even forced a game 7 ever in NBA history. But it'll happen.

pauls931
05-15-2010, 08:32 AM
I don't even think a team down 0-3 has even forced a game 7 ever in NBA history. But it'll happen.

I came in here to ask just that!

ffadicted
05-15-2010, 08:46 AM

lol there was one already mentioned in this thread....

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-15-2010, 09:21 AM
give em hell cubby!

and in 1 week, O & 42!!

lmvicariousao!!

:lmao now your a Lakers fan Al-Queda?

lol 1st round exit
lol T-Mac

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-15-2010, 09:24 AM
Btw I voted no. Don't think it'll ever happen.

Giuseppe
05-15-2010, 09:36 AM
^I'll alert Reuters.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Sup Cubby?

JamStone
05-15-2010, 10:44 AM
Laws of probability dictate that it's bound to happen at some point.

Hopefully soon against the Celtics. Couldn't happen to a nicer group of guys if it did.

Giuseppe
05-15-2010, 10:48 AM
Sup Cubby?

Nothin'. Just sittin', scratchin', nervous as a queer at a weiner roast.

The wait has been interminable. And three more days of it.

JoeTait75
05-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Sure, why not? It happened in baseball where there was a far longer history than basketball of teams falling behind 0-3 in series. Prior to the Red Sox comeback in 2004 no MLB team had ever come back to even tie a series after being down 0-3 - which has happened in the NBA - and, while I'm not 100% sure of this, I don't think any team had even won two games after being down 0-3, let alone three.

If it happened in baseball, where there was the least statistical probability it could happen- it could happen in basketball.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-15-2010, 12:22 PM
nervous as a queer at a weiner roast.

:lol

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-15-2010, 12:26 PM
I just don't see it happening in basketball because if a team is capable of taking a 3-0 lead on the other team, it usually means the other team is completely incapable of winning 2-3 games in the series, let alone 4, unlike baseball where hot hitting or a stud pitching staff can win against any team. You'll never see a 2006 St. Louis Cardinals type thing where they limp into the playoffs with a .500 record and win the WS in basketball.

JoeTait75
05-15-2010, 12:28 PM
I just don't see it happening in basketball because if a team is capable of taking a 3-0 lead on the other team, it usually means the other team is completely incapable of winning 2-3 games in the series, let alone 4.

It would almost have to be a situation where the better team, for whatever reason, falls behind 0-3. In the case of the 2004 ALCS I think Boston was simply a better team than the Yankees and eventually, although it took some breaks, things played out that way.

picc84
05-15-2010, 12:49 PM

They have.

Against the Mavs.

Portland, I think it was.

JoeTait75
05-15-2010, 12:59 PM
They have.

Against the Mavs.

Portland against the Mavericks in the 2003 first round and Denver against Utah in the 1994 WCSF.

davi78239
05-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Yes it was Portland. Same series that sheed's "both teams played hard" quote became a classic. Hell, they almost came back on the spurs being down 1-3 with Dirk out. Thank you Steve kerr and jaxs for the bail out or else we would of seen a game 7, which clearly would of favored the mavs.

LnGrrrR
05-15-2010, 01:37 PM
I just don't see it happening in basketball because if a team is capable of taking a 3-0 lead on the other team, it usually means the other team is completely incapable of winning 2-3 games in the series, let alone 4, unlike baseball where hot hitting or a stud pitching staff can win against any team. You'll never see a 2006 St. Louis Cardinals type thing where they limp into the playoffs with a .500 record and win the WS in basketball.

Like I said, it could be where one team gets a star player back right as the team leading loses a star player. That's what happened with the Bruins.

Let's say Lakers were up 3-0, and they suddenly lost Kobe, and A'm'a'r'''%e'' had previously been out for the series, coming back after Game 3. It would make a huge difference in the series.

Of course, hockey runs lines so the loss of one player can affect player slightly more than basketball, but the idea holds.

JoeTait75
05-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Like I said, it could be where one team gets a star player back right as the team leading loses a star player. That's what happened with the Bruins.

Let's say Lakers were up 3-0, and they suddenly lost Kobe, and A'm'a'r'''%e'' had previously been out for the series, coming back after Game 3. It would make a huge difference in the series.

Of course, hockey runs lines so the loss of one player can affect player slightly more than basketball, but the idea holds.

Thing about hockey is two-fold: home-ice doesn't matter all that much, and one player, particularly a goalie, can dominate a series.

resistanze
05-15-2010, 02:15 PM
They have.

Against the Mavs.

Portland against the Mavericks in the 2003 first round and Denver against Utah in the 1994 WCSF.

Whoops. My bad. I still think it's a harder feat in basketball than in baseball. At least the stats seem to show that. The Red Sox were the first team to do so in 2004, but that was in 31 attempts. After this round, I think it's 0-91 for the NBA.

Hornets1
05-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Ever is a REALLY long time. It's bound to happen..................

Pelicans78
05-15-2010, 11:01 PM
I doubt it happens. If it would happen, it would most likely be the Mavs and they avoided it against Portland. They were 3-0 and got forced to a game 7, but yet still won the series. But that series definitely foreshadowed future events.

NBA Fanatic
05-16-2010, 09:47 AM
I doubt it would ever happen in the NBA. Too many scoring opportunities and game is played at a pretty fast pace. Baseball and hockey have such low scoring games that once a team takes a lead in a game it is not too easy to overcome it. In basketball there are generally multiple lead changes throughout the game. A 3 run or 3 goal lead in baseball and hockey are pretty tough to come back from. But in basketball a team can overcome a 15 point deficit in 15 minutes or so.