PDA

View Full Version : It all starts with Tiago

lotr1trekkie
05-15-2010, 10:01 AM
If the Spurs can't get Tiago out of Europe, its over for the Spurs. Splitter's level is somewhere between Gasol and Varego, but that would still be a huge improvement since Timmy can't do 37 and 15 anymore. Splitter would provide that buffer to let the BIG 3 do their jobs. We need a skilled BIG who can help Tim. We need a 3 who can play defense since giving up 110 to Phoenix isn't going to make it. We have scoring power but no stopping power. AN ADD TO THE OFFENSE AND AN ADD TO THE DEFENSE!

MateoNeygro
05-15-2010, 10:09 AM
Would love to see Splitter come on over. He would be an obvious upgrade to our roster at the 5. I don't know a whole lot about him but people are pretty high on him. The Spurs FO seem to be pretty confident that they can lure him over this summer. So here's to hoping!

team-work
05-15-2010, 10:53 AM
First of all, this guy needs to come instead of signing with any team in Europe just like the last time.

I agree that he might bring about major improvement at the 5. The key will likely be how to let him play next to Duncan. I am no genius in basketball coaching. I could only recall the transition from Robinson to Duncan. No disrespect to Duncan (he's the main reason I became a Spurs fan), if Tiago comes, the era of Duncan playing in the low post with the other big man staying out of his way might end. I envision Duncan playing more in the high post like Mcdyess, so as to preserve his legs and concentrate on D.

Of course this is not an overnight process. Duncan's low post skills are still there. Tiago needs to prove he belongs to the NBA. As a fan I just keep dreaming on the best for my favorite team.

Danny.Zhu
05-15-2010, 10:56 AM
If the Spurs can't get Tiago out of Europe, its over for the Spurs. Splitter's level is somewhere between Gasol and Varego, but that would still be a huge improvement since Timmy can't do 37 and 15 anymore. Splitter would provide that buffer to let the BIG 3 do their jobs. We need a skilled BIG who can help Tim. We need a 3 who can play defense since giving up 110 to Phoenix isn't going to make it. We have scoring power but no stopping power. AN ADD TO THE OFFENSE AND AN ADD TO THE DEFENSE!

Agreed. If we cannot get him this summer we are doomed.

BronxCowboy
05-15-2010, 10:59 AM
If the Spurs can't get Tiago out of Europe, its over for the Spurs.

Why? They didn't do bad this year without him. Jefferson should be more comfortable next year, Hill may continue to improve, Blair should be better, and if Splitter doesn't come over, that gives the Spurs the full MLE to do some shopping. Plus there's a fair chance that Parker won't be struggling all year with plantar fasciitis. Whether Splitter is the Spurs big offseason move or someone else is, there is a good chance that the Spurs will be better next year than this year.

J-Wiz
05-15-2010, 12:35 PM
Would love to see Splitter come on over. He would be an obvious upgrade to our roster at the 5. I don't know a whole lot about him but people are pretty high on him. The Spurs FO seem to be pretty confident that they can lure him over this summer. So here's to hoping!
is splitter 7 feet, we need a 7 footer to play center

Russ
05-15-2010, 01:00 PM
It all starts with Tiago

Ain't no maybe so about it.

Better yet, a 7 footer who plays like a 7 footer.

TD 21
05-15-2010, 06:11 PM
First of all, this guy needs to come instead of signing with any team in Europe just like the last time.

I agree that he might bring about major improvement at the 5. The key will likely be how to let him play next to Duncan. I am no genius in basketball coaching. I could only recall the transition from Robinson to Duncan. No disrespect to Duncan (he's the main reason I became a Spurs fan), if Tiago comes, the era of Duncan playing in the low post with the other big man staying out of his way might end. I envision Duncan playing more in the high post like Mcdyess, so as to preserve his legs and concentrate on D.

Of course this is not an overnight process. Duncan's low post skills are still there. Tiago needs to prove he belongs to the NBA. As a fan I just keep dreaming on the best for my favorite team.

I agree. The Spurs need to go back to the twin tower approach, by pairing Splitter with Duncan. If they want McDyess to start until Splitter is acclimated, fine, but ultimately he needs to be become the starter by the stretch drive. Not only would he help Duncan out defensively, but offensively, he'd allow Duncan to play the mid-high post more and not always have to be the lone low post option on the floor. This would help to limit the wear and tear on him. As much as it's about managing minutes, it's about making sure the minutes played aren't too arduous.

He's 6-10.25 without shoes, 6-11.75 in shoes and listed at 7-0.

dbestpro
05-15-2010, 07:06 PM
He's 6-10.25 without shoes, 6-11.75 in shoes and listed at 7-0.

He's got a quarter inch callous on each foot that puts him at 7 feet.

HarlemHeat37
05-15-2010, 07:13 PM
It's probably better that he isn't listed at 7 feet, maybe Pop will actually play him with Duncan then..

mystargtr34
05-15-2010, 07:20 PM
6'10.25" without shoes is about as 7-foot as any other 7-footer in the league. There are very few true 7-footers in the league, maybe only 9 or 10.

Sisk
05-15-2010, 07:42 PM
If the Spurs can't get Tiago out of Europe, its over for the Spurs. Splitter's level is somewhere between Gasol and Varejao, but that would still be a huge improvement since Timmy can't do 37 and 15 anymore. Splitter would provide that buffer to let the BIG 3 do their jobs. We need a skilled BIG who can help Tim. We need a 3 who can play defense since giving up 110 to Phoenix isn't going to make it. We have scoring power but no stopping power. AN ADD TO THE OFFENSE AND AN ADD TO THE DEFENSE!

?? I haven't heard his name anywhere near Gasol (Pau, I'm assuming) but if that's the case, than :toast

TD 21
05-15-2010, 07:48 PM
Pop will probably try to avoid playing Splitter with Duncan much at the start. Why? Because it makes too much sense too, but he has this idea that Duncan needs a big next to him who can stretch the floor, at least out to mid-range. Who cares about every other responsibility, if you're under 6-10, most immobile, can't protect the rim, but can bag mid-range (or longer) jumpers, then you're a perfect fit next to a 34-year old with bad knees/quad tendonosis and a ton of mileage.

I'd have to see Splitter around the Duncan's, Gasol's and Nowitzki's of the world first, but my sense is he's slightly smaller than all of them. Even if he is, he's in their vicinity and he has fairly good length, so he won't look noticeably undersized. Assuming he signs and the Spurs draft a true SF (not an SG/SF or an SG masquerading as an SF) and the player actually crack the rotation, it'll be nice to see this team not be severely undersized.

You're right, there aren't many true 7-0ers, but it's funny how if you're big and look imposing, you're automatically 7-0. Van Gundy called Perkins and Garnett 7-0ers the other day, even though Perkins is 6-10 and Garnett is (listed, at least) at 6-11. Dudley rightfully called the Spurs smaller and not what you think of when you think of the Spurs. Then he mentioned in the past they had (among others) guys like Oberto and Thomas. As if they're any bigger than McDyess. They're all around the same size, but the perception is those guys were bigger than they actually were because the Spurs were better defensively then.

Sisk, I assume he/she was talking about Marc, not Pau, when they said Gasol. Splitter projects as an excellent third big - an adequate second big; not a top three big in the world.

poop
05-15-2010, 08:33 PM
and the Great White Hope continues....

Spursfan092120
05-15-2010, 08:43 PM
and the Great White Hope continues....
http://www.starz.com/titles/TheGreatWhiteHype/PublishingImages/great_white_hype_the_1996_685x385.jpg

Josepatches_
05-15-2010, 09:02 PM

Marc

NRHector
05-15-2010, 09:15 PM
and the Great White Hype continues....

Fify

cutewizard
05-15-2010, 09:18 PM
Here is my dream Spurs first five:

Spliiter at center

Duncan at power forward

Josh Smith at small forward

Chris Paul at point point

Super Manu at off guard

Wow! Go Spurs go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bigfan
05-15-2010, 10:37 PM
I do hope we get Splitter and I stil think they should try to bring Javtokas over as well. He's only 30 and seems to have talents.

ego
05-16-2010, 04:45 AM
I do hope we get Splitter

Probability = 0.01

1) Splitter has a contract to finish : 2 years with TAU Vitoria (now Caja Laboral )

2) Real Madrid is very interesting by Tiago and Madrid can put a lot of money for the indemnity and the Spurs can't pay an indemnity with NBA's regulation.

3) The best friend of Tiago is Pablo Prigioni, a Real's player.

4) Tiago is sure to play a lot of minutes with the Real

5) Ettore Messina is a great coach.

ChumpDumper
05-16-2010, 04:47 AM
Probability = 0.01:lol

Obstructed_View
05-16-2010, 04:55 AM
I'm not sure how realistic it is to think that Splitter is going to come in and contribute, muchless flourish on a team where Ian Mahinmi couldn't get a second look after two years of learning the system. Oberto couldn't get minutes on the floor his first year before Pop got mad at Nazr and Rasho, and only then did he get a couple of minutes here and there.

will_spurs
05-16-2010, 05:25 AM
I'm not sure how realistic it is to think that Splitter is going to come in and contribute, muchless flourish on a team where Ian Mahinmi couldn't get a second look after two years of learning the system. Oberto couldn't get minutes on the floor his first year before Pop got mad at Nazr and Rasho, and only then did he get a couple of minutes here and there.

That's actually my biggest fear: that even if Splitter were to come, he'd get the same playing time as say Blair got this year, which is 10-15 minutes here and there, and of course getting yanked every time he'd miss a rotation against teams we shouldn't even care about. Then in the 2nd year Bonner would still be starting and fans going nuts over this. And maybe in the 3rd year, when there's nobody left, would he be allowed to contribute.

Lukor
05-16-2010, 06:55 AM
You guys are getting way too excited about some roleplayers,i remember the preseason buzz about players like McDyess,Mahimi or even Ratcliff. According to Spurstalk they were going to put the team into another stratosphere than the rest of the league.
I see the same thing happening with Splitter now. If he's that good he will be paying in the NBA sooner or later. If not maybe he's just a semi-stiff playing inferior competition in europe.
I tell you it's easier to keep your hopes low so you don't set yourself up for dissapointment.
Being a Mavfan i should know :lol

Russ
05-16-2010, 11:02 AM
I'm not sure how realistic it is to think that Splitter is going to come in and contribute, muchless flourish on a team where Ian Mahinmi couldn't get a second look after two years of learning the system.

Take a look at Splitter's footwork (and Mahinmi's).

Agloco
05-16-2010, 11:51 AM
If the Spurs can't get Tiago out of Europe, its over for the Spurs.

Why? They didn't do bad this year without him. Jefferson should be more comfortable next year, Hill may continue to improve, Blair should be better, and if Splitter doesn't come over, that gives the Spurs the full MLE to do some shopping. Plus there's a fair chance that Parker won't be struggling all year with plantar fasciitis. Whether Splitter is the Spurs big offseason move or someone else is, there is a good chance that the Spurs will be better next year than this year.

I think what the OP was getting at was that the Spurs title hopes are over if these things don't happen. Sure they didn't do bad, but I think you're making a big leap of faith if you think that the Spurs will be back in the title mix given just your laundry list.

Big P
05-16-2010, 12:12 PM
Splitter would be nice but it would not address the problem of defending the pick and roll IMO. Not sure if the guy is coming over or not best case if he doesnt come is...

Dice calls it quits as he said he may all year. He becomes a great trade chip to a team looking to get another 5.5 mill in cap space.

I think the spurs are gonna reup Ian, they will let him look around a bit and are likely to sign him on the cheap.

I think we target Mike Miller, Channing Frye or Brendan Haywood. If we cant land any of those guys I think Rashual Butler would be a great fit at the 2 or 3. Great defender and shooter and may come cheap.

And who knows we may luck out and get Travis outlaw.

If Splitter does come over I like use looking to grab George from UNLV in the draft or packing our pick with Dice(if hes gonna retire) and looking to do a sign and trade for a wing like Mike Miller.

Dice has guaranteed money next year..$4.86 mil to be exact...then he has a salary of about $5 mil the next but I think that only 1/2 of that is guaranteed...don't see Dice calling it quits before next year..as for targeting mike miller...seriously?

Kafka
05-16-2010, 12:18 PM
I do hope we get Splitter and I stil think they should try to bring Javtokas over as well. He's only 30 and seems to have talents.

Javotkas has no level for NBA.

Probability = 0.01

1) Splitter has a contract to finish : 2 years with TAU Vitoria (now Caja Laboral )

2) Real Madrid is very interesting by Tiago and Madrid can put a lot of money for the indemnity and the Spurs can't pay an indemnity with NBA's regulation.

3) The best friend of Tiago is Pablo Prigioni, a Real's player.

4) Tiago is sure to play a lot of minutes with the Real

5) Ettore Messina is a great coach.

1) Splitter can ship in the States if the Spurs pays 1 million to Caja Laboral

2) Splitter won`t go to Real Madrid.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2010, 01:59 PM
Take a look at Splitter's footwork (and Mahinmi's).

You might need to look up the definition of the term "footwork" because Mahinmi's is excellent. He knows the defense as well as any big on the Spurs team, while Splitter won't, and Mahinmi is an inside player, a shot blocking defender, a post scorer, and a physical specimen, all things Splitter is not.

The only possible advantage Splitter might have is that he'll be paid too much money to be stashed at the end of the bench, and having any tall person next to Tim Duncan is an improvement over smallball.

duncan228
05-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Spurs in Preview: Will Tiago Splitter finally be coming to South Texas? (http://www.kens5.com/home/Spurs-in-Preview-Why-Tiago-Splitter-is-like-a-chupacabra-93713314.html)
by Dan Oshinsky / KENS 5

It seems like every summer in San Antonio, locals go chasing after two creatures of almost mythological status. I speak, of course, of two things that are often rumored but rarely seen.

One’s the chupacabra.

The other is Tiago Splitter.

The Man

Maybe that second name sounds familiar.

Rumors about the Brazilian-born Splitter entering the NBA Draft started in 2004, but it wasn’t until 2007 when he actually put his name in. By then, he’d been playing pro basketball in Spain for seven years. He was a 7-footer with a true back-to-the-basket game and was dominating competition in Europe.

So the Spurs picked him 28th overall. A few weeks later, he was introduced at a press conference in San Antonio. The talk was about (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/MYSA072107_04C_NZ_State_BKN_spurs-splitter_en_2e959d9_html.html) what number Splitter – who wore No. 21 in Spain – would wear in South Texas.

Except that Splitter decided to return to Spain.

A year later, the Express-News wrote (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/MYSA060808_SpurSplitter_en_36e17e2_html.html): “When the Spurs drafted Tiago Splitter…, they were willing to wait one more year to get a player of his ability and size. Now the Spurs' plans to sign Splitter this summer have been put on hold again.”

And they’ve stayed on hold since – as Splitter stayed in Europe, citing the weakness of the American dollar and the fact that the Spurs couldn’t legally offer him more than $970,000. His Spanish team could pay him far more.

But the window has opened again for Splitter to leave Spain, join the Spurs and become an immediate contributor. In San Antonio, the 25-year-old Brazilian would be a starter.

But the same question remains as before. Splitter’s turned down the Spurs twice before. In 2010, will he turn his back on South Texas again?

The Chase

Yahoo! Sports’ Kelly Dwyer breaks down the situation nicely (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/The-San-Antonio-Spurs-Gone-Till-November;_ylt=Ah49mv.puztYUYd9zI5atE6kvLYF?urn=nba ,239977):

“Can San Antonio sign him? They're confident, but Tiago is essentially a free agent that the Spurs have the first, legal, crack at. And because they're over the cap, the most the Spurs could offer Splitter is the Mid-Level Exception, and that's not exactly a prize to jump at, if you're Splitter. It has to happen this offseason, as well, as the big man has an opt-out clause this summer, but a four-year deal overall with Cabo Laborol that he's halfway through.”

The key word in there is ‘Mid-Level Exemption.’ What that means is that the Spurs are already over the salary cap at the beginning of the offseason, but they’re can still sign an additional player. But there’s a catch: that player’s salary must be equal to the average NBA salary. Last season, that amount was $5.85 million.

But what this really comes down to is Greece.

The Fall of Athens

That's not a typo. The Spurs might have a shot to sign Splitter – and if they don’t sign him this year, he’s locked into his Spanish contract until 2012 – because of what's happening across the Atlantic.

If you've been near a TV recently, you've probably seen that the Greek economy is in turmoil. And as the Greek economy drops, the euro has also dropped.

What it means is that the dollar is as strong as it’s been in some time against Europe’s currency. So that massive contract Splitter’s got in Spain suddenly isn’t as large as it once was.

Suddenly, $6 million American might not be such a bad deal for Splitter.

I’m not advising that Spurs fans openly root for the collapse of the European economic system. But I am saying that it’s probably not hurting San Antonio’s chances of landing an inside presence in 2010.

The Final Verdict

The Spurs will make a very strong push for Splitter this summer. San Antonio needs another body inside, one who can take some of the scoring burden off Tim Duncan, and all indications from Spain are that Splitter can do it. He also gives the Spurs the liberty to draft a project at power forward and give him time to develop.

But Splitter’s decision comes down to two factors: money and ambition. If he’s happy living in Spain, it’s an easy decision, because he’s already making more money there. But if he wants to prove himself in the best basketball league in the world, the Spurs will have a real chance to land a player who probably should have been here three years ago.

And if Splitter comes, well, maybe the discovery of a live chupacabra isn’t too far off.

Mel_13
05-16-2010, 10:05 PM
Dice has said there is a very good chance he will hang it up after this season, his words not mine. Remember a player may have guaranteed money but if he retires he is not paid, so his contract much like Danny Ferrys did becomes a very nice asset.

Dice said he is likely to retire after the 2010-11 season, not after this season.

His actual words from an April interview:

"Next year, definitely," McDyess, 35, said of playing a 16th NBA season in 2010-11. "Then it's really going to be tough (to keep playing). It's been tough on my body just playing. That would be 17 years (if McDyess fulfilled the life of his contract) ... Personally, I don't think I'll have it after next year. Just the get up about myself playing ... My odds are no (about playing beyond next season).''

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/04/11/mcdyess-says-theres-a-good-chance-hell-retire-after-next-seaso/

Also, Danny Ferry's contract was a valuable trade asset because it contained a team option for the 2003-04 season. As such, it could be included in a trade at the full value of the contract in the summer of 2003 but the receiving team (Indiana) was able to waive him and owe him nothing. He retired after he was waived.

twilo73
05-17-2010, 07:24 AM
Tiago named MVP of Spanish ACB btw.

rascal
05-17-2010, 11:26 AM
I have seen some highlights of splitter. Not at all impressed with the level of competition in those leagues.

That league he plays in looks really weak compared to what he will be seeing in the NBA. Not many talented bigs or bigs for that matter in those leagues as compared to the NBA so it is hard to tell if Splitter will be much more than a role player.

JonNOKC
05-17-2010, 11:35 AM
Spurs in Preview: Will Tiago Splitter finally be coming to South Texas? (http://www.kens5.com/home/Spurs-in-Preview-Why-Tiago-Splitter-is-like-a-chupacabra-93713314.html)
by Dan Oshinsky / KENS 5

What it means is that the dollar is as strong as it’s been in some time against Europe’s currency. So that massive contract Splitter’s got in Spain suddenly isn’t as large as it once was.

Maybe someone like Bruno or other can wiegh in on this but I am pretty sure it has been mentioned that Splitter is making about 2 million US$ hardly a massive contract - the issue in past when Spurs attempted to sway Splitter was they were bound by rookie pay scale - I not even sure it will take full MLE $$ to get Splitter here

lefty
05-17-2010, 11:37 AM
The Rockets will be scary next season:

Yao, Splitter, Scola........

JonNOKC
05-17-2010, 11:39 AM
I have seen some highlights of splitter. Not at all impressed with the level of competition in those leagues.

That league he plays in looks really weak compared to what he will be seeing in the NBA. Not many talented bigs or bigs for that matter in those leagues as compared to the NBA so it is hard to tell if Splitter will be much more than a role player.

While the ACB certainly isn't the NBA it is the 2nd best league in the world - bottom line is Splitter would be second best low post scorer behind Duncan and 2nd best defender against true bigs behind Duncan - while you never can say for sure how a euro will translate to NBA - this guy is light years ahead of any collegiate player and don't see any FA for the same $$ that would be better

temujin
05-17-2010, 11:49 AM
The Rockets will be scary next season:

Yao, Splitter, Scola........

Sorry, no more homesick Greek guards to trade.

temujin
05-17-2010, 11:51 AM

Written about Gasol (Pau) 2000.
Written about Scola (Luis) 2007.
Written about Gasol (Pau) 2008.