PDA

View Full Version : Who is in "Charge" of the Spurs??

FalleNxWiZarDx
05-15-2010, 11:47 PM
OOKKAyy, so like pop is a General Manager and Head Coach??

Who is this R.C Buford guy ?? Is "Coach POP" over him?? Who does the firing?

And also, Peter Holt do any work? If not, Who did he put in charge of the team? POP or R.C ?

Libri
05-15-2010, 11:52 PM
RC Buford is the General Manager.

Kori Ellis
05-15-2010, 11:56 PM
Pop isn't the General Manager - RC Buford is. Buford is Spurs General Manager and President of Sports Franchises.

Pop is the head coach and President of Basketball Operations.

Who does the firing of whom?

Peter Holt is just one of the many owners in the ownership group, but he owns a big share.

FalleNxWiZarDx
05-16-2010, 12:06 AM
How long has R.C been with the Spurs?

Kori Ellis
05-16-2010, 12:08 AM
How long has R.C been with the Spurs?

He was an assistant back in like 1988. Then left for a few years, then came back in 1994 as a scout and has been with the team since.

fyatuk
05-16-2010, 12:16 AM
Pop isn't the General Manager - RC Buford is. Buford is Spurs General Manager and President of Sports Franchises.

Pop is the head coach and President of Basketball Operations.

Who does the firing of whom?

Just from looking at the titles, it looks like RC could fire Pop as coach, Pop could fire RC as GM, and RC could fire Pop of Pres of Basketball Ops.

Bleh.

Who cares. They're probably both gone at the same time anyway, and it's not likely either would ever be fired.

SpursTillTheEnd
05-16-2010, 12:21 AM
@ koriellis, What were the spurs like in the 80's and early 90's who was the matt bonner who was the roger mason's of some of those spurs teams, the earliest spur i can remember seeing is vinny del negro i think i was like 8 or 9 in 98.

PreparationH
05-16-2010, 03:53 AM
The 80's and 90's are painful memories to old spurs fans :P

We could never get over the hump of the Jazz or Rockets they were always blocking the path. We fielded good teams but could never advance in the play-offs

The late 80's we suffered till David arrived. The Gervin trade The Alvin antics killed us for a bit. We tried in the mid 90's bringing in different vets to line up with David. Doc Rivers,Vernon Maxwell,Moses Malone,Dale Ellis,Dennis Rodman, and Will Perdue all come to mind. We had rotation of guard/forwards put into the games at different times. BAD History of dieing in the 4th quarter without fail. These guys are so different I can't compare them really. Even David himself was not a big defender till later in the 90's but oh man could he take over a game and put up 50 on any given night. Terry was great till he blew out his knee. After that he slowly declined to become a bench warmer till we traded him. Can't say I miss those days of Malone Elbowing David or trying to take out a leg. For that matter Hakeem schooling David and Mr. Big Shot Rob hitting shots for the other teams to beat us.

poop
05-16-2010, 04:26 AM
everyone with a brain knows that Pop is the end all be all of the Spurs organization.

he has the final word on Everything.

ajh18
05-16-2010, 04:34 AM
David himself was not a big defender till later in the 90's but oh man could he take over a game and put up 50 on any given night.

David won defensive player of the year in 1992 (when he also led the league in blocks at 4.5 blks a game and also put up 2.3 stls per game) and he averaged over 3 blocks a game every year for the first seven years of his career.

Sure, David didn't focus primarily on defense until later in his career, but put it this way... even while he was leading the league in scoring ('94) or leading the league in rebounding ('91) he was a better defensive big man than anyone in the league today, including Howard, Bogut, Camby, or any of the other suppossed defensive stars.

BronxCowboy
05-16-2010, 07:40 AM
Can't say I miss those days of Malone Elbowing David or trying to take out a leg. For that matter Hakeem schooling David and Mr. Big Shot Rob hitting shots for the other teams to beat us.

I've got to say, I always relished those matchups with Hakeem. Of course, I usually ended up wishing they turned out the other way around, but it was a thing of beauty to see two great players dominating on both ends of the floor the way Robinson and Olajuwan did. Never really begrudged Horry, either, even though it was especially painful when he was hitting big shots for Houston. The one player that I'm truly glad is out of the league, that I truly hated, was that gotdam elbow-swinging, chest-kneeing, kicking-while-shooting lousy sunuvabitch Karl Malone. I hope he's having a miserable retirement, that sorry fuck.

ploto
05-16-2010, 08:09 AM
Peter Holt is more involved that people think.

Nathan Explosion
05-16-2010, 04:55 PM
The one player that I'm truly glad is out of the league, that I truly hated, was that gotdam elbow-swinging, chest-kneeing, kicking-while-shooting lousy sunuvabitch Karl Malone. I hope he's having a miserable retirement, that sorry fuck.

I know what you mean. I know a lot of people that wanted Malone to come here in 2004 and I was one of the few that didn't want him here. If he came to the Spurs, I would have actually rooted for the team to NOT win the title because I hated Malone so much and didn't think he deserved a ring, even at the expense of my team losing.

As funny as it sounds, I would have cheered against the Spurs (in a way) because I'm such a huge fan and Malone was such a dirty player.

Hell, I didn't like Stockton the player (dirty ass player too) but could have respected him if he won a title.