PDA

View Full Version : Cavs' James drops Goodwin as agent (even after rcord deals james I am the boss)

ducks
05-10-2005, 11:43 PM
Cavs' James drops Goodwin as agent
By TOM WITHERS, AP Sports Writer
May 10, 2005

CLEVELAND (AP) -- Cavaliers forward LeBron James has dropped agent Aaron Goodwin, who negotiated about $135 million in endorsement deals for the 20-year-old in the past two years.

James sent a standard letter to the NBA players' association on Monday saying he had terminated Goodwin, union spokesman Dan Wasserman said.

James' surprising decision to drop his agent comes less than two years after Goodwin got him a $90 million landmark deal from Nike -- the richest initial shoe contract offered to an athlete.

ADVERTISEMENT
Goodwin also helped James secure multimillion deals with Upper Deck, Coca-Cola, Bubblicious and Juice Batteries. He also had been in negotiations with McDonald's about another endorsement contract.

Goodwin issued a statement Tuesday wishing James and his mother well.

``For nearly three years, I have had the wonderful opportunity to represent LeBron James as his agent. I am grateful for the chance to have worked with LeBron and Gloria James. Our accomplishments as a team were monumental,'' Goodwin said.

James is expected to turn over some of his management duties to close friend Maverick Carter, a former teammate at Akron's St. Vincent-St. Mary High School currently employed by Nike. Randy Mihms, who serves as James' personal assistant and road manager, and Rich Paul, another James' confidant, are expected to take on more active roles in his representation.

James and his three longtime friends call themselves the ``Four Horsemen.''

Goodwin's relationship with James dates to the All-Star's senior year in high school. Goodwin attended many of James' high school games before adding the young star as one of his clients in 2003.

On the eve of the NBA lottery that year, Goodwin brokered the deal with Nike, which outbid Adidas and Reebok for James.

Goodwin also represents Portland guard Damon Stoudamire, Orlando rookie Dwight Howard, Boston guard Gary Payton and Knicks guard Jamal Crawford.

Obstructed_View
05-11-2005, 12:12 AM
This reminds me of when Mike Tyson fired all his trainers and hired his friends to do it. He got the crap beat out of him by Buster Douglas not long after that.

pooh0406
05-11-2005, 04:14 AM
reminds me of kobe....

Spurminator
05-11-2005, 08:49 AM
He is the boss.

It's his agent.