PDA

View Full Version : Ronnie James Dio dies

JudynTX
05-16-2010, 02:19 PM
RIP Heavy Metal Legend. :depressed :cry

Wendy Dio, wife/manager of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW), has released the following statement to BLABBERMOUTH.NET:

"Today my heart is broken, Ronnie passed away at 7:45 a.m. [on Sunday] 16th May. Many, many friends and family were able to say their private goodbyes before he peacefully passed away.

"Ronnie knew how much he was loved by all.

"We so appreciate the love and support that you have all given us.

"Please give us a few days of privacy to deal with this terrible loss.

"Please know he loved you all and his music will live on forever."

It was only a month ago that Dio, 67, spoke about his battle with cancer with the Artisan News Service on the "black carpet" of the Revolver Golden Gods Awards, which took place on April 8 at Club Nokia in downtown Los Angeles. When asked about how he had been feeling since he was diagnosed with the disease late last year, Dio said, "Well, I feel good and bad at times. It's a long process. Chemotherapy is a... I never realized what a difficult thing it was to go through. It's a real cumulative effect — the more you have, the more it piles up on top and it takes longer and longer to get over it. I find it very difficult to eat. I don't like to eat anyway, so I guess that's OK. But I know I have to. But this makes it very, very hard. But if you're determined to beat it, then you have to go with what you believe is going to beat it for you, and in this case it's that. I go to a great hospital in Houston called M.D. Anderson, which I think is the best hospital in the world, I have the best doctor in the world, Dr. Ajani, who I really trust and I really believe in, so I think I've done all the right things. It makes me feel positive about my life and positive that there is a lot more of it to live."

Earlier this month, HEAVEN & HELL canceled its summer tour plans in Europe due to Dio's treatment for stomach cancer. The band said in a statement that Dio wasn't "well enough to tour this summer. We hope that everyone understands and want to thank fans and industry colleagues for their continuing support at this time."

Ronnie James Dio had performed with ELF, RAINBOW, BLACK SABBATH, and his own band DIO. Other musical projects included the collective fundraiser "Hear 'n Aid". He is widely hailed as one of the most powerful singers in heavy metal, renowned for his consistently powerful voice and for popularizing the "devil's horns" hand gesture in metal culture. He was most recently involved with HEAVEN & HELL, a project which also included former BLACK SABBATH bandmates Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Vinny Appice. Their first and only studio album, "The Devil You Know", was released on April 28, 2009.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=140129

Bender
05-16-2010, 02:23 PM
dang, I didn't know he was that old - 67.

My first exposure to him was the Rainbow Rising LP - great stuff !!

Cant_Be_Faded
05-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Rest In Peace.

Didn't realize he was struggling with cancer. Poor guy. At least now he's in metal heaven.

balli
05-16-2010, 02:34 PM
impossible

dio is immortal

he's just fucking with us!

Correct...

Heavy metal rocker Ronnie James Dio has been hospitalized, he is not dead despite a death hoax that has seemed to plague the Internet. Dio has been battling stomach cancer for over a year now. He is currently in a Houston hospital cancer clinic where he has undergone seven rounds of chemotherapy. Ronnie’s wife Wendy, who is also his manager, released this statement regarding all the rumors surrounding her husband.

I am at the hospital and Ronnie has NOT passed away. He is not doing well, but he is not dead. Let us all hope that this kind of rumors will end.

Thanks to social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook a death hoax regarding Dio was taking over the Internet this morning. Many fans and supporters of Ronnie had written their condolences which is unnecessary at this time. The only truth to these rumors is that Dio is suffering from stomach cancer. Ronnie recently cancelled this summers Heaven and Hell tour because of his ongoing treatments that he is receiving. He reassured his fans that there will be more music, more life and more magic.
http://www.rightcelebrity.com

JudynTX
05-16-2010, 02:40 PM
http://www.ronniejamesdio.com/

JoeChalupa
05-16-2010, 02:46 PM
WTF!?!? Latest news results for ronnie james dio dead keep updating every minute!!

Cant_Be_Faded
05-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Ride tha tiger!
You can see his stripes but you know he's clean!

Fabbs
05-16-2010, 03:07 PM
dang, I didn't know he was that old - 67.

My first exposure to him was the Rainbow Rising LP - great stuff !!
Then you gotta try some Elf -if you haven't already.
Hoochie Choochie Lady, some other very good songs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elf_%28band%29

Cry Havoc
05-16-2010, 03:16 PM
He's still alive.

PakiDan
05-16-2010, 04:09 PM
He's still alive.

He's dead brotha.

LnGrrrR
05-16-2010, 05:28 PM
Dio is the man. Glad I got to see him live in San Antonio... Motorhead, Dio, Iron Maiden. Awesome show.

marini martini
05-16-2010, 06:51 PM
Dead? Alive? Alive? Dead?

BlackSwordsMan
05-16-2010, 08:06 PM
alive

thispego
05-16-2010, 08:38 PM
Someone needs to check on Mr. Dio, make sure he's doing ok with the news.

thispego
05-16-2010, 08:39 PM
He's dead brotha.

and you, shut the fuck up, squeaks.

Zombie
05-16-2010, 09:22 PM
Another rock Icon is gone! I was sure Halford would die of aids before Dio died

Stringer_Bell
05-16-2010, 09:31 PM
I went to the source for info on the internets, only to find the world has lost another hero of metal. We don't have musicians these days that demand our attention with their ridiculous vocals and persona. I miss listening to Dio on KISS and playing Sonic the Hedgehog when I was a kid. ROCK ON IN THE NEXT LIFE BROTHA!

LmSt1oEIshE

slacker77
05-16-2010, 09:51 PM
Just saw it on msn.Sux....R.I.P

marini martini
05-16-2010, 10:12 PM
RIP, if he's really dead.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-17-2010, 04:42 AM
Words can't describe...
One of the best live performers ever.Was expecting to see him with Heaven&Hell in a month :( RIP Dio.

Don't be sad such a man has died - be happy such a man has LIVED!

SpursStalker
05-17-2010, 07:16 AM
RIP Ronnie ...

May you rock on and RIP

:depressed

Kermit
05-17-2010, 07:56 AM
I don't get it. Bret Michaels survives a massive brain hemorrhage but Dio dies from cancer? Fuck that shit. YOU GOT THE WRONG GUY ASSHOLES!!!

JudynTX
05-17-2010, 08:09 AM
:toast Ronnie is rocking it out with Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin and Dimebag Darrell to name a few.

romad_20
05-17-2010, 08:18 AM
I don't get it. Bret Michaels survives a massive brain hemorrhage but Dio dies from cancer? Fuck that shit. YOU GOT THE WRONG GUY ASSHOLES!!!

No fucking kidding! First Peter Steele, now Dio.

He was taken to heaven on the backs of wildebeests and angels. RIP Ronnie James.

DBryant88
05-17-2010, 08:55 AM
He was just a Rainbow in the Dark

chrisattsu
05-17-2010, 09:01 AM
He was just a Rainbow in the Dark

or the man on the silver mountain
or a holy diver

RIP DIO

CosmicCowboy
05-17-2010, 09:10 AM
Stomach Cancer. Damn. Second person I've heard of that died of this in a month. The other one was a 40 year old woman. I had never even heard of stomach cancer before that. Revenge of the Junk Food?

desflood
05-17-2010, 10:24 AM
I'm going to go eat a bunch of junk food and rewatch Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny in his honor.

I was going to do that anyway, but now I have a better excuse. It's in his honor.

Strike
05-17-2010, 11:32 AM

Bret Michaels and Jon Bon Jovi: Alive.
Stevie Ray Vaughn and Ronnie James Dio: Dead.

Proof that there is no god.

JudynTX
05-17-2010, 11:56 AM
2 min. silence for RJD at 12:00 pm today.

JudynTX
05-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Non-stop Dio music @ KNAC.com :hat

http://www.knac.com/article.asp?ArticleID=7550

Viva Las Espuelas
05-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Dead? Alive? Alive? Dead?

Estebaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!!

Viva Las Espuelas
05-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Ride tha tiger!
You can see his stripes but you know he's clean!

jump!
jump!

Viva Las Espuelas
05-17-2010, 09:32 PM

dare i say, ozzy outliving dio is a travesty in itself.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-17-2010, 09:34 PM
nobody could say "LOOK OUT!!!" as powerful as ronnie.

JudynTX
02-14-2011, 02:11 PM
According to Joe Siegler from Black-Sabbath.com, TIM “RIPPER” OWENS (HAIL!, YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, BEYOND FEAR, ex-JUDAS PRIEST, ICED EARTH) will be singing in place of RONNIE JAMES DIO (BLACK SABBATH, DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, RAINBOW, ELF) on some unreleased Dio material the Dio band is going to be recording. Apparently bassist Rudy Sarzo and guitarist Craig Goldy were given permission by Wendy Dio to go through Ronnie’s computer looking for music they can record.

In other news, last night (Sunday, February 13th) at the 53rd Annual Grammy Awards, – which took place in Los Angeles at Staples Center – during the photo flashback segment honoring musicians that we lost in the past year, Ronnie James Dio was among them.

http://www.metal-rules.com/metalnews/2011/02/14/tim-ripper-owens-to-record-unreleased-ronnie-james-dio-material/

Viva Las Espuelas
02-14-2011, 02:16 PM
Yeah I was surprised they included him AND Esteban Jordan.

JudynTX
02-14-2011, 02:18 PM

I like Ripper, but I don't think he should be covering Dio's songs. :td

Blake
02-14-2011, 02:23 PM
http://64.19.142.13/www.dio.net/pictures_misc/wwwdionet.gif

Sorry, too lazy to format it myself, but if you turn the picture upside down, it spells DEVIL.

I learned that in Baptist church circa 1983. :tu

Viva Las Espuelas
02-14-2011, 03:31 PM
I like Ripper, but I don't think he should be covering Dio's songs. :td

I honestly haven't heard this ripper fellow. Isn't he a yeller? :lol

Condemned 2 HelLA
02-14-2011, 03:33 PM

Sounds like a dead ringer for Halford actually.

JudynTX
02-14-2011, 03:35 PM

WTF? Have you been living underneath a rock? :lol

Sounds like a dead ringer for Halford actually.

:tu Yes he does.

JudynTX
02-14-2011, 03:41 PM

8I26y4CdNas

Viva Las Espuelas
02-14-2011, 03:46 PM
WTF? Have you been living underneath a rock? :lol
Pretty much. Plus, I'm not too inclined to follow someone named Ripper. Sounds like he farts a lot :lmao

JudynTX
02-14-2011, 03:55 PM
Pretty much. Plus, I'm not too inclined to follow someone named Ripper. Sounds like he farts a lot :lmao

Remember the movie Rock Star? :lol

Viva Las Espuelas
02-14-2011, 04:34 PM
Remember the movie Rock Star? :lol

stand up and shout?

JudynTX
02-14-2011, 04:42 PM
stand up and shout?

Yes!!!!!! :toast

marini martini
02-14-2011, 05:58 PM

Esteban, really????:wow

Greg Oden
02-14-2011, 06:01 PM
judyntx you are an embarrassment to both ST and the human race in general.

Greg Oden
02-14-2011, 06:01 PM
:sleep:sleep

Dr. Gonzo
02-14-2011, 08:38 PM
lol