PDA

View Full Version : How hated will LeBron be?

SomeCallMeTim
05-16-2010, 11:00 PM
If LeBron bails on Cleveland, how hated will he be by Clevelanders, Akronites, and Ohioans in general?

Will he still have a big grass-roots, die-hard fanbase in Ohio?

Will the reaction be overwhelmingly hateful, e.g. "A-Rod Sucks" chants and throwing fake money in Seattle?

What will all of this do to his popularity in general? Right now, aside from having something of a "can't win the big one" stigma, LeBron's image at the national level seems very good. Will bailing on an "underdog" town and his hometown make him less likeable?

Really interested to hear from the local Cavs fans on this one and what the feeling is at ground zero.

D-Wade #3
05-16-2010, 11:04 PM
Why do Laker fans make so many threads about LeBron?

Ghazi
05-16-2010, 11:05 PM
A better question is how hated will the Mavs be?

<------

= :lobt: in 2011, :lobt: in 2012, :lobt: in 2013

= :danceclub

kamikazi_player
05-16-2010, 11:07 PM
Not a Cleveland fan, but I suspect that the Cavs did so much for Lebron James to make him stay. It didn't work out, but hell, I think they tried their best to surround Lebron with a group of players to win a championship. It would have been better if they traded for Amare instead of Jamison like i said all along. If Lebron leaves, i really think it's going to hurt him because management and most of Cleveland fans really want him back. There would really be no reason, except change of scenery if Lebron leaves. He's getting more money if he stays in Cleveland.

NewJerSpur
05-16-2010, 11:10 PM
The backlash would be pretty bad, possibly the worst seen to this point by any player leaving a team they've had great history with (let alone their hometown, so to speak), particularly given his persona.

That said, I think he stays in Cleveland.

D-Wade #3
05-16-2010, 11:10 PM
Not a Cleveland fan, but I suspect that the Cavs did so much for Lebron James to make him stay. It didn't work out, but hell, I think they tried their best to surround Lebron with a group of players to win a championship. .

Antawn Jamison = :lmao
Shaq = Old and Washed up
Mo Williams = Dumb decision maker
Varejo = Flopper with no game
Big Z = Limited
Hickson = Never played
West = Bipolar

and the list goes on

kamikazi_player
05-16-2010, 11:14 PM
Shaq = Old and Washed up
Big Z = Limited
Hickson = Never played
West = Bipolar

and the list goes on
West was pretty good. Mo Williams was decent. Hickson i'm surprised hasn't played much in that series, I think it's due to bad coaching. Varejao was a good low post defender, but i agree has no offensive game. I disagree about Shaq, this guy had 18 points and around 9 rebounds last season, he was still a presence inside in the games. Antawn Jamison is one i would really agree on. I've said it all along, if they had Amare, they would have gone farther in the playoffs and maybe even win the championship. They better hope this Hickson guy becomes something in the future because this will probably haunt them as Jamison's contract doesn't look pretty.

Sisk
05-16-2010, 11:15 PM
I don't think there will be much backlash. the media will be on his nuts and you know what happens when the media loves on someone.. they get elected president.. uhh I mean he'll be fine

but really, I think cleveland kind of expects him to leave at this point

D-Wade #3
05-16-2010, 11:16 PM
You was singing a different song two weeks ago.

The difference is, LeBron took his shitty squad out of the first round, and to the finals some years back, but then again, who on the Cavs could start for a team in the West?

HarlemHeat37
05-16-2010, 11:17 PM
If he goes to NY, fans will hate him even more, not just Cav fans..no doubt about it..

SomeCallMeTim
05-16-2010, 11:19 PM
Why do Laker fans make so many threads about LeBron?

It's a fair question from genuine curiosity. For the record, I like LeBron and I think he's got every right to play wherever he wants. I think hating a player because he goes somewhere else in free agency is pretty silly, myself, but I understand that a lot of fans take this stuff very personally. Given that he's a local guy, it adds a further dimension that didn't exist with A-Rod (or Kobe, when he was making noise about leaving). Wondering if JoeTait or any of the other locals have a good read on what it will really be like if he jumps ship.

Also for the record, my guess about Kobe had he gone to the Bulls or whatever: he'd be booed lustily in LA but would still have a hard-core fanbase (much in the minority). All the things that Laker fans tend to overlook -- the hubris, the phoniness, the selfishness -- would no longer be so easily forgiven and he'd be given the Philly treatment IMO.

Sisk
05-16-2010, 11:24 PM
If he goes to NY, fans will hate him even more, not just Cav fans..no doubt about it..

What if he goes to Chicago or New Jersey?

SomeCallMeTim
05-16-2010, 11:30 PM

This is what I'm thinking. In the list of possible destinations, I'm thinking the "hate factor" from greatest to least would be:

NY
Chicago
Miami
NJ
LA Clippers

I think going to the worst team in the league in the Nets would earn some cred. And going to the worst franchise in the history of the NBA to share the spotlight with the Lakers? Now that would be gutsy to the point of career suicide.

NewJerSpur
05-16-2010, 11:31 PM
I don't think there will be much backlash. the media will be on his nuts and you know what happens when the media loves on someone.. they get elected president.. uhh I mean he'll be fine

but really, I think cleveland kind of expects him to leave at this point

From the rest of the nation/world: no.

From Clevelanders/Ohio-ers,ans,its(?): yes.

oh crap
05-17-2010, 12:07 AM
lebron's already hated.

bostonguy
05-17-2010, 12:10 AM
I will despise him. I now have 3 grand on this son of a bitch to stay a cav. All he has to do is resign, and I break even. Comon Bron stay in Cleveland!

oh crap
05-17-2010, 12:12 AM
you're a horrible gambler.

bostonguy
05-17-2010, 12:14 AM
you're a horrible gambler.

I won't get screwed on this one. No way he bolts Cleveland. He is going to make it very interesting when he is flirting with all the teams going after him. At the end of the day, he resigns. The Cavs will have 1-2 years to put a long term sidekick next to Lebron or he will demand a trade.

JamStone
05-17-2010, 12:29 AM
The way James played the last two games and how the Cavs got eliminated changes things. If James had played hard and put up great performance after great performance and the Cavs still lost, I think more Cleveland fans would be understanding if he left. But now, I think there's probably an ever growing sentiment of either anticipatory hate for LeBron or an apathetic "fuck you, leave then" feeling towards the guy. All of that because of how this season ended and what is perceived by many as LeBron quitting on his team. If he does leave, I think there will be very few Cleveland/Ohio fans that will remain fans of LeBron. I think they're already bracing themselves for it too.

21_Blessings
05-17-2010, 12:35 AM
No one gives a fuck about Cleveland

NewJerSpur
05-17-2010, 12:40 AM
I'm not a fan of LeBron's (i.e. this version of the Cavs), but I've always had a thing for the Browns (especially now that they've got my boy Holmgren running "The Big Show".....Seahawk connections).

LeBron is going to force the Cavs' hand as much as possible prior to making a decision. I think he stays home.

TDMVPDPOY
05-17-2010, 01:09 AM
I will despise him. I now have 3 grand on this son of a bitch to stay a cav. All he has to do is resign, and I break even. Comon Bron stay in Cleveland!

what was odds for that? thats a lame bet man

Sisk
05-17-2010, 01:47 AM

what the fuck is your sig? seriously

TheMACHINE
05-17-2010, 01:53 AM
Shaq = Old and Washed up
Big Z = Limited
Hickson = Never played
West = Bipolar

and the list goes on

lol 60+ wins
lol everyones choice to be champions

ginobili's bald spot
05-17-2010, 06:03 AM

You sick fuck! What the hell is wrong with you putting that shit in your sig!?

admiralsnackbar
05-17-2010, 08:13 AM
Cleveland can't even retain it's workaday joes. LeBron will just be one more person fleeing that decrepit city's borders, and nobody will blame him for it.

SenorSpur
05-17-2010, 08:22 AM
Not a Cleveland fan, but I suspect that the Cavs did so much for Lebron James to make him stay. It didn't work out, but hell, I think they tried their best to surround Lebron with a group of players to win a championship. It would have been better if they traded for Amare instead of Jamison like i said all along. If Lebron leaves, i really think it's going to hurt him because management and most of Cleveland fans really want him back. There would really be no reason, except change of scenery if Lebron leaves. He's getting more money if he stays in Cleveland.

Let's also not forget, every personnel move the Cavs have made in recent years, has had the seal of approval or disapproval from LeBrick. The Cavs FO and ownership have not made a single move without consulting "his lowness". If he wants to distance from them, ok. Yet he had a hand in it all.

Bob Lanier
05-17-2010, 09:34 AM
Everyone else from Ohio who's worth a tinker's damn has left. You'd think they'd be used to it by now.

mogrovejo
05-17-2010, 10:12 AM

I agree they showed commitment to build a contender around him but when it comes to execution they failed miserably. They were never able to put a top-15 player at his position next to him, with the possible exception of Varejao (and Boozer). They went from a team lacking offensive talent to a team with 3 awful defenders, All-Non D team level, in the starting line-up. They were never able to put another high-level shot-creator along him. It all started with all those crazy contracts they handled to veteran role-players in 2005. It crippled them till this day, especially because they kept trying to do the same thing over and over, instead of just hitting the reset button.

As some guy (Adande?) wrote a few days ago, LeBron was the youngest player in the Cavs rotation 7 years ago... and he still is today.

tlongII
05-17-2010, 10:24 AM
what the fuck is your sig? seriously

That is disgusting!

baseline bum
05-17-2010, 11:48 AM
Cleveland fans already turned on James in game 5. It's obvious he will be a pariah there when he leaves.

picc84
05-17-2010, 12:40 PM
I wonder how the people of Cleveland act when they see Lebron in the streets now.

You talk about an entire city ready to collapse, if he leaves there's really no reason for them to exist. So if they were kissing his ass before, its gotta be disgusting now. He's looking for any excuse to bounce, and they know it.

If Bron goes to get a haircut and the barber even nicks him dude is gonna have a straight up heart attack. Go to Cleveland and it probably feels like the Twilight Zone where the little kid was sending everyone to the cornfield.

Damn, the nick that made a knick. Sounds like a Joe Budden line.

JoeTait75
05-17-2010, 09:07 PM
You talk about an entire city ready to collapse, if he leaves there's really no reason for them to exist.

Cleveland was there long before LeBron got here. Cleveland will be here long after he leaves.

The Cavaliers, by the natural order, are the third team in this city. Browns are first, Tribe is second. If LeBron leaves things will revert back to their normal state. Everyone will care about the Browns, some people will care about the Indians and no one will care about the Cavaliers.

And if the Browns ever do what the Saints did last year, people will forget LeBron ever even existed.

Wondering if JoeTait or any of the other locals have a good read on what it will really be like if he jumps ship.

I would dislike him more than Modell. So will others, though maybe not THAT much.

Others will thank him for the seven years he spent here.

His people in West Akron will still have his back, as they should. He really does love Akron, that's no put-on.

dbestpro
05-17-2010, 09:18 PM
If he bails on Cleveland and goes to NY, I think most will understand except for Ohio fans. If he goes to Chicago or Miami he will replace Kobe as the most hated player in the NBA.

SomeCallMeTim
05-17-2010, 10:24 PM
I agree they showed commitment to build a contender around him but when it comes to execution they failed miserably. They were never able to put a top-15 player at his position next to him, with the possible exception of Varejao (and Boozer).

Wallace. Tough luck with him getting hurt though.

scottspurs
05-17-2010, 10:50 PM
"I don't hate anyone, hate is such a strong word."-Tim Duncan

picc84
05-17-2010, 10:53 PM
Cleveland was there long before LeBron got here. Cleveland will be here long after he leaves.

The Cavaliers, by the natural order, are the third team in this city. Browns are first, Tribe is second. If LeBron leaves things will revert back to their normal state. Everyone will care about the Browns, some people will care about the Indians and no one will care about the Cavaliers.

The Browns...

Does that really refute my assertion?