PDA

View Full Version : Spurs in Preview: Why the Krebs Cycle doomed the Spurs in '09-'10

duncan228
05-16-2010, 11:15 PM
Spurs in Preview: Why the Krebs Cycle doomed the Spurs in '09-'10 (http://www.kens5.com/sports/Spurs-in-Preview-Why-the-Krebs-Cycle-doomed-the-Spurs-in-09-10-93901184.html)
by Dan Oshinsky / KENS 5

I don't expect you to know who Hans Adolf Krebs was. I don't expect you to know that he was one of his age's leading minds in the field of biochemistry, or that he discovered a remarkably complex series of chemical reactions known as the citric acid cycle, or that he won a Nobel Prize and was knighted in England for his work.

And I'm not sure that I expect you to grasp this either.

The thing that Krebs discovered has a lot to do with why the San Antonio Spurs failed to win the NBA title this season.

Pounding the Rock

For more than a decade, the Spurs have been Tim Duncan's team. Their offense has run through him, their defense anchored by him. But behind the scenes, there's been a man pulling the strings, keeping Duncan at the center of it all.

Coach Gregg Popovich is the architect of this Spurs dynasty. It's a testament to his abilities that this season was considered a massive disappointment -- and the Spurs still won 50 games and a first-round playoff series.

Off the court, Popovich has the kind of reputation that's rivaled only by, perhaps, Lakers coach Phil Jackson. Popovich is feisty with reporters, and he's legendary in media circles for posting strange things in his locker room.

In one corner of the Spurs locker room, there's a sign from which Popovich once hung a quote from muckraker Jacob Riis. The quote reads:

“When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before.”

In a larger media market, reporters would have hounded Popovich over the significance of the quote. In San Antonio, reporters just left it alone, until one day, word of the sign leaked out. Popovich got mad, and then he got over it. Now, there's even a Spurs blog (http://www.poundingtherock.com/) named after the quote.

This year, a strange new thing appeared in the Spurs locker room. In each locker, the Spurs taped up a single-page printout. At the top of the page were these words: "Spurs' Krebs Cycle." Below it, there's a series of arrows moving in a circle around the page. The sign reads:

Transition D --> Half-Court D --> Gang Rebound --> Push and Fill --> Move Ball Attack --> 4 & 5 Rebound --> Transition D

It would take an advanced degree in chemistry -- or, at least, access to Wikipedia -- to make sense of it all.

Keep Reading... (http://www.kens5.com/sports/Spurs-in-Preview-Why-the-Krebs-Cycle-doomed-the-Spurs-in-09-10-93901184.html)

Tobias
05-16-2010, 11:27 PM
That article really doesn't make sense, have a conclusion or go anywhere.

Pop had a gameplan formula, all pieces had to work or it failed.
It failed. Which pieces failed? I don't know.
The End.

megamanu
05-16-2010, 11:30 PM
I'm not sure what the point of that article was...

Sisk
05-16-2010, 11:31 PM
Pretty condescending and lame

Supreme_Being
05-17-2010, 09:47 AM
Weak.

boutons_deux
05-17-2010, 10:18 AM
"I'm not sure that I expect you to grasp this either"

and I'm sure, Dan, that you don't grasp WTF you're talking about. Krebs cycle is horrible analogy that confuses, not illucidates, your points, if you even have points. This is why you're stuck writing 9th grade English composition articles with grade D for a podunk paper in a podunk town.

temujin
05-17-2010, 11:55 AM
The off-season will mostly be about the Urea cycle (getting rid of waste), than the krebs cycle.

mogrovejo
05-17-2010, 12:00 PM
"I'm not sure that I expect you to grasp this either"

and I'm sure, Dan, that you don't grasp WTF you're talking about. Krebs cycle is horrible analogy that confuses, not illucidates, your points, if you even have points. This is why you're stuck writing 9th grade English composition articles with grade D for a podunk paper in a podunk town.

Why are you blaming the writer for using the Krebs cycle analogy? It was Popovich's idea.

ffadicted
05-17-2010, 04:44 PM
Why are you blaming the writer for using the Krebs cycle analogy? It was Popovich's idea.

lol I was just thinking the same thing... although the article did pretty much fail to have a point/conclusion

duhoh
05-17-2010, 08:35 PM

:lol

someone needs to read better