PDA

View Full Version : Who is the starting & back up center next season

carib
05-17-2010, 08:20 AM
Who is the starting & back up center next season?

We looking pretty fragile in that position this season just wondering if it’s going to remain the same next season?

Ocotillo
05-17-2010, 08:27 AM
I was just wondering that last night. On the depth chart I would imagine it would be Splitter than McDyess (or Bonner if brought back). In practice, I imagine it would be Splitter and then Duncan coming back off the bench after his first rest.

21_Blessings
05-17-2010, 08:34 AM
Duncan will be starting at center. The same position he's been playing for most of his career.

carib
05-17-2010, 08:40 AM
Can the Spurs entertain Tyson Chandler?

MaNu4Tres
05-17-2010, 08:46 AM
Duncan will be starting at center. The same position he's been playing for most of his career.

How about no?

From 1997/98'- 2003 there was a man named David Robinson at center. (6 years)

From 2003/2004-2009 there were centers named Rasho Nestorovic, Nazr Mohammed, Francisco Elson, Fabricio Oberto and Kurt Thomas. (6 years)

This past year was the first year Duncan played with a true power forward McDyess.(1 year)

So for you to say he's been playing center his entire career is quite foolish.

carib
05-17-2010, 08:54 AM
Can the Spurs entertain Tyson Chandler?

or Brendan Haywood

ginobilized
05-17-2010, 09:39 AM
Hopefully there will not be 22 different starting lineups next season.
TD will start and, if we are lucky, Tiago Splitter is the backup.

admiralsnackbar
05-17-2010, 09:47 AM
How about no?

From 2003/2004-2009 there were centers named Rasho Nestorovic, Nazr Mohammed, Francisco Elson, Fabricio Oberto and Kurt Thomas. (6 years)

This past year was the first year Duncan played with a true power forward McDyess.(1 year)

All good points, brother, but wasted: he's just baiting, trying to stir shit up.

kaji157
05-17-2010, 12:51 PM
PG Hill-Parker-Temple
SG Ginobili-Hill-Temple
SF Jefferson-Hairston-Temple
PF Blair-McDyess-Draft
C Duncan-Splitter-Veteran

spursfaninla
05-17-2010, 01:11 PM
c/pf in the Spurs system is basically interchangeable anyway, so what does it matter?

More to the point, who gets minutes, and how many?

admiralsnackbar
05-17-2010, 02:01 PM
or Brendan Haywood

Not to say we could afford him either way, but I'm actually very curious about how Haywood's stock will behave after having a fairly unimpressive playoff performance.

Before the trade to Dallas, his value seemed to be going way up such that I could easily see him commanding a really inflated contract. My feeling now, on the other hand, is that he may be coming back to earth.

I also wonder how it could be lost on any GM that he only seems to turn it on in contract years.

DesignatedT
05-17-2010, 02:29 PM
Haywood will get a nice contract still. Way to expensive for us to afford.

NFGIII
05-17-2010, 02:36 PM

^

How about no?

Agreed but I would also add that with the departure of Rasho and Nazr TD did play much more 5 than in past years. Elson played spot duty since he wasn't all that good defensively forcing TD to man the 5 more. Oberto and Thomas both were adequate but TD has been sliding back and forth from the 5 to the 4 since the beginning of the '08 season. Whatever was neccessary depending upon who was out on the court for the opposition.

All good points, brother, but wasted: he's just baiting, trying to stir shit up.

Unfortunately you are correct. Trolling in order to bait ST posters into a meaningless discussion on an issue they could care less about.

dbestpro
05-17-2010, 03:07 PM
It will be a combo interior with rotations from PF to C. So maybe the question sholud be who starts next to Duncan, next year?

As of now it will be either Blair or Dice.
Most likely to be Splitter.
If no Splitter then look for another trade.
If no trade then look for the hope that Blair can improve by leaps and bounds.
Alabi in the draft or a resign of Mahinmi are the long shots probably after a resign of Bonner.

ffadicted
05-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Splitter and Duncan will start, with Dice Blair and someone else (bonner, vet min) off the bench eventually. The season will probably start with duncan and dice though to kick things off though, unless the spurs promise splitter a starting spot as a way to lure him here.

Somehow though, I don't think the spurs would offer something like that, not with their team first mentality

blkroadrunners
05-17-2010, 05:10 PM
I'm expecting McDyess to start alongside Duncan at the start of the season to say the least.

If the Spurs sign Tiago this off-season and he progresses, I'd expect him to be the starting C/PF during the 2nd half of the season onward.

dbestpro
05-17-2010, 05:11 PM
If Splitter is here, he will start from the get go.

ploto
05-17-2010, 05:40 PM
Duncan can't really cover many of the PF's of the NBA anymore, so he needs to be the center. That is part of the issue- finding a good defender who is quick enough to guard the versatile PF's.

ezzizle
05-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Marcus Camby lol

poop
05-17-2010, 07:20 PM
there is no shadow of a doubt whatsoever than Matt Bonner will still be here and still get big minutes.

SenorSpur
05-17-2010, 07:24 PM
It's amazing how many here want or expect Bonner back mext season. As if his penchant for playoff choking isn't enough. Yet at the same time, folks simply dismiss Ian and the possibility of a new contract and roster spot for him.

Josepatches_
05-17-2010, 07:26 PM
PG Hill-Parker-Temple
SG Ginobili-Hill-Temple
SF Jefferson-Hairston-Temple
PF Blair-McDyess-Draft
C Duncan-Splitter-Veteran

Lottery

J-Wiz
05-17-2010, 07:35 PM
He will most likely reup with Dallas but his stock will be at MLE range. Hes long, very good defender and has a post move or two that would look real nice beside TD if Splitter bails on us. I for one believe we need to go back to the days of being a D first team with our Gs forcing shooters into the lane to be meet by 2 7footers!
I agree. we dont need c/pf's or pf/c's, all that means is their undersized. We need a bonifide true center. A 7 footer(heck, even 6'11). I say with either our 1st or 2nd round draft pick we grab a center. there are a decent amount of centers in the draft. I say we draft the best shot blocker available(most likely 6'11,7'0).

Spursfan092120
05-17-2010, 07:40 PM
This is 21_Blessings though..that's could be said anytime spew comes out of his mouth.