PDA

View Full Version : Changing the criteria of the triple crown

JamStone
05-17-2010, 09:37 AM
Caught an interesting suggestion on BBTN yesterday before the game. They were talking with an ABC news analyst (forgot the name), and he suggested that they change the batting average portion of the triple crown to either OBP or OPS.

I think it might be something to look at. I think more and more people view on base percentage as a better indicator of how good a hitter is. Often times, the better hitters get pitched around, have so few quality pitches to hit, end up having to swing at bad pitches because they get frustrated with being walked all the time. And a power hitter who ialso has a great eye at the plate gets that treatment even worse. A great hitter who doesn't have a lot of power won't get pitched around nearly as much because pitchers aren't as concerned with singles than they are the with the damage homeruns can have.

So for example, if A-Rod hits .333, has 45 jacks and 140 RBI. But a guy like Ichiro has a .350 BA, A-Rod can't win the triple crown. But what if A-Rod OBP is something like .425 while Ichiro's is .390? I think there's something to it.

I know in the grand scheme of things, the "triple crown" isn't all that important except for historic significance. But, should batting average really be one of the criteria?

slayermin
05-18-2010, 11:27 PM
It was probably George Will and I'm sure he plays fantasy baseball. :lol