PDA

View Full Version : Buck Harvey: Ginobili vs. his opposite: Manu a mano

Kori Ellis
05-11-2005, 02:16 AM
Buck Harvey: Ginobili vs. his opposite: Manu a mano
Web Posted: 05/11/2005 01:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA051105.1C.COL.BKNharvey.2617a9e28.html

Quit wondering about Ray Allen and Bruce Bowen.

Start wondering about Ray Allen and Manu Ginobili.

Start wondering which off-guard is better. Start wondering how money fits into the equation — and it does for every NBA general manager — and which player is a better value. And start wondering if a classic, smooth shooter is really more valuable than someone who seemingly always finds a way.

Start?

When Ginobili doesn't?

That's one reason this argument sounds ridiculous, especially to those in Seattle. Ginobili has been coming off the bench to begin games since the playoff opener against Denver, and no one could imagine Allen in a similar role.

The numbers show the contrast, too. Allen averaged 23.9 points this season, his sixth-straight season with at least an average of 20, and Ginobili averaged a career-high 16 this season.

Allen also is a star who couples as a character guy, though the SBC Center fans didn't seem to grasp that; Allen was booed nearly as loudly and as often as Ginobili was in Denver. And Allen doesn't have teammates named Tim Duncan and Tony Parker.

As for Ginobili's berth in the All-Star Game: Allen has been an All-Star five times, and this year he received some MVP consideration.

Add it up, and isn't Allen worth the massive contract he's looking for this summer? Isn't he several notches ahead of Ginobili?

Truth is, more than one GM sees Allen as an expensive piece, and some in the Seattle organization have reservations about giving Allen what he wants this summer. The last offer on the table from the Sonics was a 5-year deal worth over $70 million.

That's a lot of money for a guard who will be 30 in July. But that's also a big chunk in the salary cap for someone who doesn't play much defense, and is not known for grabbing a rebound or a loose ball.

George Karl spent the last series slapping his forehead over Ginobili, as well as becoming the first human on record to say he didn't like watching Ginobili play.

But a few years ago, in a Sports Illustrated article, Karl said a few things about Allen, too. Karl would later regret those comments, since he was coaching Allen in Milwaukee at the time, but they summed up his view.

"I call him Barbie Doll because he wants to be pretty," Karl said then. "He's a great player, but he cares too much about having style, making highlights and being cool."

For those looking for a contrast: Isn't Ginobili the opposite of Barbie?

Allen wowed Tuesday night with several jumpers and drives, and he played with a sore ankle nagging at him. But how many times did he go to the floor? Maybe once?

Ginobili can't count how many times he stands up feeling the next bruise. He sacrifices his body because he knows it's the way to get to the line, and he did twice late in the fourth quarter. Then he leaped to the rim, drawing hard fouls.

That's why Nate McMillan says Ginobili is the kind of athlete who will need a hip replacement when he's 50 years old. The way Ginobili is going this spring, he might need one by June.

On this night, though, Ginobili started with Allen's 3-point touch. Ginobili ended with 28 points while missing only two shots. But more telling is a move he made late in the first half.

After the Sonics pulled within nine points, Ginobili caught a pass at the top of the 3-point circle. He was open, and most others — such as Allen — would have stroked up another jumper.

Ginobili instead drove down the middle of the Seattle defense, earning a hard foul and another two free throws, because that was the percentage play.

"I never know what he does," Tim Duncan said later, smiling. "He puts his head down and he goes, and we pray for the best."

The Spurs usually get the best, and for a price that most in the league see as a bargain. The Spurs signed Ginobili — a guard still in his 20s — for $52 million over six years.

So which player would teams rather have?

Start wondering what happens Thursday in Seattle, with the crowd loud, and with Allen ready to bring the Sonics back.

The last time Ginobili came off the bench for a Game 3 on the road?

He carried the Spurs, in Denver, with 32 points.

Kori Ellis
05-11-2005, 02:17 AM
"I call him Barbie Doll because he wants to be pretty," Karl said then. "He's a great player, but he cares too much about having style, making highlights and being cool."

No comment on this quote being in my article from yesterday. I'm sure Buck dug it up on his own. :)

timvp
05-11-2005, 02:23 AM
Buck reads here obviously.

:flipoff

Horry For 3!
05-11-2005, 04:25 AM
Good Article. I rather have Ginobili any day than Ray Cry Baby Allen. Also Ginobili thrives on the road more than home so you know he will help the team out a lot.

T Park
05-11-2005, 08:28 AM
I think Manu wont have a great game thursday, itll be up to Duncan, Parker, Barry, Robinson, and others to pick up a little slack.

Only 1 day off, travel coming off last night???

He will be lucky to have 18.

hendrix
05-11-2005, 08:49 AM
I think Manu wont have a great game thursday, itll be up to Duncan, Parker, Barry, Robinson, and others to pick up a little slack.

Says a guy that previously suggested the OPPOSITE of this article. Obviously you´d jump like this.
He is a lucky guy... all the time. To have YOU as a spurs fan.... pfffffff.. what a lucky lucky player.

Fouled Out
05-11-2005, 08:54 AM
Re: The "crippled" Ray Allen...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, Ray Did give up in Game 1 and was there in all of Game 2 = loser. And some of those calls were going in his favor. The 1st period Bruce already had 2 fouls in less than 5 minutes. Oh, and that dumbass of Thompson, I can't even understand a dam word he is saying. Dick Stockton should just Bitch slap him!!! I know Dick is a spurs fan, he and sean elliot do games together for fox sports SW. He is cool but other idiot is not. Oh yeah, someone did mention earlier about TNT now showing the split screen while waiting for the Spurs game. I have noticed a lot of shit TNT pulls and it is getting to me :pctoss . I hope ESPN does a better job which I doubt cause they are also sellout and only follow the hottest teams that bring in the money and attention. They are not used to seeing a World Class Organization team like the San Antonio Spurs. Oh,by the way we are the only team with a Saint watching over our Spurs, and it happens to be ST. Anthony.. even God himself is a Spurs fan, we have connections. GO SPURS GO!!!!! I'm out. Good Job Kori :princess

Dingle Barry
05-11-2005, 11:03 AM
I can't read an alleged Harvey article that is lacking a question mark in the title. I smell a counterfeit.

Clandestino
05-11-2005, 11:06 AM
thewriter is buck's intern...

waly.mg
05-11-2005, 02:10 PM

THAT´S VERY FUNNY

MANU ISN´T TIRED, HE PLAYED 31 MINUTES AND ATTEMPT 11 SHOTS

When you score 28 points, you would have to be tired, but not in the Manu way