PDA

View Full Version : Texas Department of Public Safety Driver Responsibility Surcharge

thispego
05-17-2010, 04:14 PM
WHAT tHE FUCK IS THIS SHIT ALL ABOUT? I'm enraged :wtf:flipoff

Fpoonsie
05-17-2010, 04:17 PM
What exactly is that? An added fee on a ticket or...?

Dex
05-17-2010, 04:17 PM
You're not the first, and won't be the last. My brother has been putting up with this, as well.

http://www.petitiononline.com/TXDRP07/petition.html

thispego
05-17-2010, 04:19 PM
What exactly is that? An added fee on a ticket or...?

yes! those mudda fuckas! stealin my money! :bang

mookie2001
05-17-2010, 04:24 PM
That's rough

How many tickets do you have to get?

How much is it?

CubanMustGo
05-17-2010, 04:28 PM
That's rough

How many tickets do you have to get?

How much is it?

see https://www.msb-gila.com/ePay/FAQ.aspx , that said

POINTS: Points are assessed to moving violations classified as Class C misdemeanors. The Department will assign points to a person's driver license as follows upon conviction:

* Two points for a moving violation conviction in Texas or that of another state. Moving violations are defined by 37 TEX. ADMIN. CODE §15.89 which includes a list of those violations that will be assigned points.
* Points will not be assigned for speeding less than 10% over the posted limit or for seat belt violations.
* Child Safety Seat violations will accrue two points.
* Three points are assigned for a moving violation conviction in Texas or another state that resulted in a crash.

The Department will assess a surcharge when the driver accumulates a total of six (6) points or more on their driver record during a three-year period. The surcharge assessment will be reviewed annually. If the driver record continues to reflect six or more points during the prior three-year period, the surcharge will be assessed.

Therefore, drivers may be required to pay for one or more years if six or more points continue to accumulate on the driver record. The driver must pay a $100 surcharge for the first six points and $25 for each additional point. Point surcharges are cumulative and may vary with each annual assessment if convictions are added or removed from the driver record.

OTHER: Surcharges are also assessed for certain convictions as defined by law. The surcharge amount varies based upon the type of violation committed. No points are accessed for these offenses because the surcharge is automatic upon conviction. The offense information and associated surcharges are listed below:

* Driving While Intoxicated or a DWI-related offense
o First time offense = $1,000
o Second or subsequent offense = $1,500
o DWI with Blood Alcohol Content 0.16 or greater = $2,000
* Failure to Maintain Financial Responsibility= $250
* Driving While Driver License Invalid = $250
* Driving without a Valid Driver License (i.e. No Driver License, No Commercial Driver License, No Endorsement Violation, No Motorcycle License, Operate with License for other Class Vehicle) = $100

Surcharges, which are cumulative, are automatically assessed for these convictions. For example, an initial conviction for DWI will be assessed $1,000 annually, and a subsequent DWI conviction within the same three-year period will be assessed an additional $1,500 annually.

mookie2001
05-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Damn in the last three years I've had like 15 tickets but 1 moving violation

I really rack up the expired tags and inspections, real oak cleff felonies

Mavs_man_41
05-17-2010, 04:41 PM

keep my hood out of your mouth, you fat punk

DarkReign
05-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Old news here in Michigan. There is the cost of the ticket (paid to the city/township/wtfever) and a Driver Responsibility Fee (paid to the state).

mookie2001
05-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Oak cleff is a real hood?

Drachen
05-17-2010, 04:57 PM
How is this news to anyone? I got a DWI 7 years ago and was convicted a month after the cutoff date. Had to pay 3k to have my license in addition to court costs, fees, etc. I would say that including lawyer, and all I paid about 8k and 100 hours of community service. That will learn ya real quick.

thispego
05-17-2010, 05:31 PM
You're not the first, and won't be the last. My brother has been putting up with this, as well.

http://www.petitiononline.com/TXDRP07/petition.html

thanks DEX ..... 4328 Signatures Total

SourCandy
05-17-2010, 05:49 PM
scam.

Leetonidas
05-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Those online petitions don't do shit

ashbeeigh
05-17-2010, 06:36 PM

keep my hood out of your mouth, you fat punk

I stop reading threads by the mookie crew the second oak cliff is brought up. We all know it's ghetto (or not) and in Dallas. Move along.

And start driving right, then you won't have to pay the extra charges. Just sayin'.

4>0rings
05-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Those online petitions don't do shitIt makes the people that sign them feel special, like they actually helped. :lol

Scola
05-17-2010, 06:43 PM
TX DPS got me on this, worse thing is the tickets aren't even mine! They mixed up my record with another person and for the past two years they keep suspending my license over this... every-time I have to call back and convince them they're not mine. After a couple of months I'll get a new surcharge letter and I have to repeat the whole process. :|

thispego
05-17-2010, 07:39 PM
Those online petitions don't do shit

better than doing nothing dip stick. Hopefully someone is more pissed than I am and will do somethig with that petition

thispego
05-17-2010, 07:40 PM
It makes the people that sign them feel special, like they actually helped. :lol

:rolleyes

hey, the ocean called... Dumbass :lol

thispego
05-17-2010, 07:47 PM
I stop reading threads by the mookie crew the second oak cliff is brought up. We all know it's ghetto (or not) and in Dallas. Move along.

And start driving right, then you won't have to pay the extra charges. Just sayin'.

noone who wants to have serious, adult conversation clicks on threads that you start. you're about as wise and worldly as a high school kid who thinks they know more about the real world than their parents do. Seriously, when you stop having your mom gives you rides to places you can start talking to me about driving right. Ashbeigh you haven't learned SHIT sitting at your computer all day designing cover letters for your quarter-of-a-page long resume. So stfu please. thank you.

thispego
05-17-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm not saying that I shouldn't get speedig tickets for speeding. I'm saying I shouldn't be charged twice for them. Beyond that, tpds should have done more to to let me know my drivers license was suspended... They sent a letter to my address from FOUR years ago to notiy me, and that's it. I have been drivng w a suspended license for god knows how long and if I had been pulled over? Someone would be dead right now

ashbeeigh
05-17-2010, 08:13 PM
noone who wants to have serious, adult conversation clicks on threads that you start. you're about as wise and worldly as a high school kid who thinks they know more about the real world than their parents do. Seriously, when you stop having your mom gives you rides to places you can start talking to me about driving right. Ashbeigh you haven't learned SHIT sitting at your computer all day designing cover letters for your quarter-of-a-page long resume. So stfu please. thank you.

Okay. :rolleyes

ploto
05-17-2010, 08:58 PM
They sent a letter to my address from FOUR years ago to notify me, and that's it.

Did you notify them of your change of address?

thispego
05-17-2010, 09:01 PM
Did you notify them of your change of address?

No. Did they notify me of the passing ofthis law in 2003? No.

They could hav let me know I needed to pay this fee when I went to the courthouse to pay these last couple of tickets.

thispego
05-17-2010, 09:18 PM
http://news8austin.com/?ArID=270556

Dozens of people testified before the Department of Public Safety to discuss proposed changes to the Driver Responsibility Program (DRP).
The DRP program was passed by the Texas Legislature in 2003. It assigns points to the driver's license for traffic offenses. The points expire after three years.

If a driver has six points, he or she must pay a surcharge of $100 for the first six points and $25 for each point over six. Drivers who do not pay their surcharge within 30 days after a notice will have their driving privileges revoked.

Back in March, new rules were proposed to ease the financial impact on low-income drivers. The changes would extend the time the drivers have to pay their surcharges to 90 days and would reduce the fee.

Several individuals having a hard time paying the surcharges came before the commission to tell their story.
Revenue collected from the Driver Responsibility Program goes to the Texas Trauma Center Fund and the Texas Mobility Fund.

“If this program were to go away it would have a direct impact on the trauma system as we know it and the ability to respond to disasters and emergencies," Texas EMS Trauma and Acute Care Foundation spokesperson Dinah Welsh said.

The executive director for the Texas Criminal Justice Coalition, Ana Yanez Correa, said the program should go away. She said fees are too high on top of court costs already having to be paid by drivers, especially DWI offenses where they can't afford to go to a DWI course to be rehabilitated.

"There's thousands of Texans right now who are struggling to make ends meet and adding an additional charge puts them into a bind that's hard for them to get out of," she said.

A majority of the viewers in our online poll agree with Correa.

"Laws are laws, do not break them and you won't have a penalty to pay," a user named "Wally" said.

However, Wally's comment has been met with disagreement from other viewers.

"This system is ridiculous. You can't keep penalizing someone for a ticket they received. That is what the original fine is for. Surcharges are penalizing people for three years. I am sure people could use the money at this time," one viewer said.

There's no timeline for when the proposed changes could take affect. Public testimony is taken into consideration and the board will most likely address the issue at its May meeting.

thispego
05-17-2010, 09:25 PM
fuck the Texas Trauma Center Fund and the Texas Mobility Fund.

I asked the bitch on the phone if I should expect some sort of "Thank You" letter from these funds for donating to their cause and she was like "meh probebly not". Fuck her and that!

mookie2001
05-17-2010, 09:31 PM
Lawsuit brother

It make take a couple years but then you'll be riding on ashbeeigh street

Believe me

thispego
05-17-2010, 10:09 PM
Not worth it for 100 bucks. I'll just factor the loss in to my 'drive as fast as I want every day fund' and pay a few extra cents a day. :lmao