PDA

View Full Version : How is this not travelling?

dav4463
05-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Kobe faked, drove, took two steps, stumbled and fell while clutching the ball like an NFL running back and gets a timeout. Isn't that a travel or is the NBA rule different? Maybe it's just a Kobe rule?

Funny how the Suns have suddenly forgotten how to shoot against the Lakers isn't it? I don't think their defense is that much better than the Spurs!

BadOdor
05-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Lol spur fan is strangely invested in this series.

BadOdor
05-17-2010, 08:41 PM
Funny how the Suns have suddenly forgotten how to shoot against the Lakers isn't it? I don't think their defense is that much better than the Spurs!

lol butthurt spur fan.

Nahtanoj
05-17-2010, 08:44 PM
NBA rules = not travel
FIBA rules = travel

If you're asserting Kobe rules, then yeah you're just sore.

dav4463
05-17-2010, 08:51 PM
All I ask is a simple question and get a smart-ass answer. Yes I am a Spurs fan, but I am also a basketball fan. I enjoy good basketball whether the Spurs win or not.

I watch vintage NBA on youtube. Just watched classic old-school Sonics vs. Bullets for the championship in 79. It was a travel then. Did the NBA change their rule or what? Simple question.

I don't hate the Lakers. I don't hate the Suns. The only thing in the NBA I hate is Mark Cuban! Oh yeah, I also hate the way the Lakers managed to get Pau Gasol and the Celtics got Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen in the most one-sided deals in NBA history (to make sure the Celtics and Lakers remain championship contenders), but I don't hate any of the players. I would love to have Pau Gasol in San Antonio. Who wouldn't?

I did enjoy Boston beating LeBron and ruining Stern's dream matchup of Kobe vs. LeBron! Now he wants a Laker/Celtic final I'm sure. It would be funny if it is Orlando vs Phoenix!.....ratings nightmare! I would enjoy every minute of it.

That being said, I enjoy watching all four of the teams that are left because I enjoy NBA basketball.

Nahtanoj
05-17-2010, 09:00 PM
Go watch vintage NBA on youtube, and tell me if Patrick Ewing, Michael Jordan etc doesn't 'FIBA rule' travel.

dav4463
05-17-2010, 09:04 PM
Go watch vintage NBA on youtube, and tell me if Patrick Ewing, Michael Jordan etc doesn't 'FIBA rule' travel.

True, I just meant when a player falls down with the ball while in possession....I thought that was a travel even today.

Spursfan092120
05-17-2010, 09:22 PM
Lol spur fan is strangely invested in this series.
OK dude..seriously...if you're a basketball fan, you watch the conference finals...how is that strange?

BadOdor
05-17-2010, 09:24 PM
OK dude..seriously...if you're a basketball fan, you watch the conference finals...how is that strange?

that's not the case though, is it sister/wife?

Spur fan is changing bandwagons faster than the speed of light, praying for the lakers to lose.

dbestpro
05-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Its called the Kobe crab dribble.

Spursfan092120
05-17-2010, 09:39 PM
that's not the case though, is it sister/wife?

Spur fan is changing bandwagons faster than the speed of light, praying for the lakers to lose.
The fuck? I'm not even married, dude. And I'm cheering for the Lakers..you're such a fucking idiot...you've got to be a troll..don't know anyone who opens his mouth this big without knowledge.

mavsfan1000
05-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Refs giving the Lakers a blow job.

SomeCallMeTim
05-17-2010, 10:00 PM
I thought for sure this was going to be about Amar'e taking four steps after taking the curl handoff.

duhoh
05-17-2010, 10:34 PM
The fuck? I'm not even married, dude. And I'm cheering for the Lakers..you're such a fucking idiot...you've got to be a troll..don't know anyone who opens his mouth this big without knowledge.

it's all good. he was pinked. enough said.

dav4463
05-21-2010, 12:15 AM
Rondo fell down with the ball and got called for travelling. I guess that answers the question. It is a Kobe rule! Honestly, I don't know how they decide if it is a travel. Sometimes they fall down and get a timeout, sometimes it's a travel.

SomeCallMeTim
05-21-2010, 01:14 AM
Rondo fell down with the ball and got called for travelling. I guess that answers the question. It is a Kobe rule! Honestly, I don't know how they decide if it is a travel. Sometimes they fall down and get a timeout, sometimes it's a travel.

Like a lot of violations, the refs have to interpret call/no-call with some subjectivity. In this case, refs are to call traveling if the falling player gains an advantage in their opinion. In the game where Rondo got called for a travel when falling he also had a fall earlier where he got a no call (and I think they awarded him a timeout).

Personal fouls are obviously highly subjective. Double dribbles, too, since what constitutes a dribble vs. just securing a ball on the catch is open to interpretation. Even kick ball violations require intentionality so that has to be interpreted.

The lesson is: NBA refs have an incredibly difficult job -- most difficult job of the refs in the big 4 North American sports, IMO. Which is why I don't usually crucify them for not being perfect -- good luck on that.

Vertical
05-21-2010, 05:04 AM
You should blame Manu for this bullshit...when they allowed him to shuffle wen driving everybody else followed, Kome, Wade and the crab dribbler

Muser
05-21-2010, 06:08 AM
It's always the gray ones tbh.