PDA

View Full Version : WTF? Sheryl Sculley has nothing better to do?

CosmicCowboy
05-18-2010, 09:59 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7009756.html

SAN ANTONIO — City Manager Sheryl Sculley has declared war on sugar.
Well, at least when it comes packaged in cans and candy bars. Sugary sodas no longer have a home in the city's 250 beverage vending machines and unhealthy foods in the 75 snack machines in city facilities are next.
“I asked the staff to remove the high-calorie soda drinks from our vending machines,” Sculley said. “I'm a fitness person, and I care about our employees, and I want them to be healthy. And I think this is a very small gesture.”
The new city policy is only for vending machines and doesn't ban employees from consuming fatty foods and drinks at work.
“But we don't have to promote it,” Sculley said.
Camille Miller, president and CEO of the Austin-based Texas Health Institute, a public policy think tank, said she's unaware of any other municipality that's adopted similar policies in the state. New York City has similar rules, she added.
‘Just good policy'
“My hat is off to a government employee saying that a government facility shouldn't make it easy for people to be unhealthy,” Miller said. “We know that whatever people have access to, that's what they're going to get when they're in a hurry.”
Making healthy items easily available is “just good policy,” she said.
The beverage machines now contain water, juices and diet drinks.
Sculley said the policy aligns with the city's wellness program, instituted three years ago.
“We know that statistically that people who are overweight or obese have greater health problems than those who do not,” she said. “We're about educating community and we think we can lead by example.”
Purchasing Director Janie Cantu said her department is renegotiating the contract with the city's food vendor to ensure that products meet public school nutrition guidelines set by the Texas Department of Agriculture.
Smaller portion sizes
Those guidelines ban foods of minimal nutritional value, including sodas, popsicles and other “flavored ice,” chewing gum and certain candies.
They also limit portion sizes. Bags of chips, for example, can contain no more than 1.5 ounces.
“Ultimately, that is the goal — we'd like to see people choosing healthier options,” said Bryan Alsip, an assistant director of the Metro Health Department.
To help instill better habits, setting a policy can help, said Lisako McKyer, a professor in Texas A&M University's College of Education and Human Development.
She expects some resistance, but said such regulations can help the health and safety of society. She points to seat belt laws, restricted alcohol sales, smoking bans and sidewalk installations that all have shown to decrease injuries and deaths.
“Any time you want to institute a behavior change, policy changes are really quite effective,” she said.
The health department received a $15.6 million federal stimulus grant in March to fight obesity in San Antonio, known as one of the fattest cities in the country. Sculley launched the vending-machine initiative around the same time.

Dr. Gonzo
05-18-2010, 10:17 AM
I don't see a problem with this. If they go after smokers they should go after the fat asses in this city.

SpursWoman
05-18-2010, 10:22 AM
I don't really see a problem with it ... it's not banned, so the diehard can still bring their own crap to eat if they HAVE to have it. :fro

I wish we had better choices in the machines we have a work.

*shrugs*

desflood
05-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Don't you see it? This is the woman of the house going on a diet and making everybody else in the household do it along with her :lol

As SW already stated, as long as nothing is banned I don't really have a problem with it either.

Richard Cranium
05-18-2010, 10:41 AM
With decisions like this...she is worth every penny of her salary!

JudynTX
05-18-2010, 10:47 AM
I don't really see a problem with it ... it's not banned, so the diehard can still bring their own crap to eat if they HAVE to have it. :fro

*shrugs*

Pffft, I bring my own snacks anyway. :lol

ALWAYS bet on BLACK
05-18-2010, 10:52 AM
You had to go to Chron.com for this shit?
Lollzzz

Richard Cranium
05-18-2010, 11:05 AM
Does Sheryl Sculley have a hot body? I was wondering if her fitness diet is paying off.

Richard Cranium
05-18-2010, 11:07 AM
meh

http://www.wittemuseum.org/images/Game%20Dinner/Event%20Photos%2008/Betty-and-Sculley.jpg

CosmicCowboy
05-18-2010, 12:26 PM
I don't drink sodas so I don't have a dog in this specific hunt but this is how the food police shit starts. It's how it started in California but then it doesn't stop. Hell, didn't they just make it illegal to use lard in tortillas out there on the left coast?

Mark in Austin
05-18-2010, 12:59 PM
:lol The slippery slope argument? Really?

Good for the City. I hope the same move has already happened in every school in San Antonio too.

Blake
05-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Sculley said the policy aligns with the city's wellness program, instituted three years ago.
“We know that statistically that people who are overweight or obese have greater health problems than those who do not,” she said. “We're about educating community and we think we can lead by example.”

The city of San Antonio also pays near 100% for city employee health plans.

Healthier employees = long term cost saving

and if the employees or people that have access to the vending machines don't like it, then let them bring their own 30 lb bag of doritos.

It's a good move. :tu

Drachen
05-18-2010, 02:07 PM
I agree with this decision, good job.

lefty
05-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Fight the fatties !

lefty
05-18-2010, 02:16 PM

*shrugs*
Tell me about it

Every night i have to make sure to pack my healthy snacks for the next day

It's annoying (not a complicated thing to do, but I have to do it before I forget) but I have to do it

Fat boy
05-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Sculley can kiss my fat ass.

SourCandy
05-18-2010, 02:33 PM
food police. It's just gonna get worse.

CubanSucks
05-18-2010, 02:36 PM
doesn't ban employees from consuming fatty foods and drinks at work.

But I'm sure they'd love to.
These employees should all be thankful she LETS them eat what they want

man on wire
05-18-2010, 02:47 PM
What is next....these?

http://www.nationalvendingsolutions.com/HEALTHYVENDING5W.jpg

z0sa
05-18-2010, 02:50 PM
If the city is buying, they can do whatever they want. Pretty sad the government can now protect us from ourselves and do it officially.

Dr. Gonzo
05-18-2010, 02:54 PM
What is next....these?

I don't see anything wrong with that.

CuckingFunt
05-18-2010, 02:57 PM
Hell, didn't they just make it illegal to use lard in tortillas out there on the left coast?

No.

Only food bans I've been aware of here in California have been aimed at the use of artificial trans fats.

CuckingFunt
05-18-2010, 02:58 PM

Me neither. I would love it if there were vending machines available with healthy options.

oh crap
05-18-2010, 03:04 PM
she must know all too well that the typical obese people of san antonio are just too mentally weak and undisciplined to make healthy decisions on their own. good for her but very small gesture indeed. i'm sure this will result in alot of city workers just stopping at the gas station on the way to work and loading up on a 42 oz fountain drink to replace their 2-3 sodas a day but you can only control so much i suppose. lots of work still to be done to get #7 in shape.

Fat boy
05-18-2010, 03:12 PM
I'd rather enjoy my short life without another mother.

SpursWoman
05-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Vending machines are only provided as courtesy to begin with, they are not a requirement of doing business. They could just as easily have removed them all.

Duff McCartney
05-18-2010, 03:23 PM
I don't drink sodas so I don't have a dog in this specific hunt but this is how the food police shit starts. It's how it started in California but then it doesn't stop. Hell, didn't they just make it illegal to use lard in tortillas out there on the left coast?

If you don't have a dog in this hunt, then why are you commenting on it? And did they make it illegal to use lard in tortillas? Why don't you investigate before you ask the question..then you can know the answer. Instead of making rhetorical stupid questions.

Duff McCartney
05-18-2010, 03:36 PM
food police. It's just gonna get worse.

In what way? Please elaborate on your generalized comment.

Fat boy
05-18-2010, 03:48 PM

I don't see anything wrong this.

http://11.media.tumblr.com/i2dw5nf19jio1psmdpcMUBtio1_500.jpg

oh crap
05-18-2010, 03:50 PM
a coffee/expresso machine, frozen pizza and red bull machine all side by side. one hell of a trifecta!

CosmicCowboy
05-18-2010, 04:07 PM
If you don't have a dog in this hunt, then why are you commenting on it? And did they make it illegal to use lard in tortillas? Why don't you investigate before you ask the question..then you can know the answer. Instead of making rhetorical stupid questions.

I realize that as a perpetually overweight kid you now feel you were victimized by those nasty profit hungry food companies that sold you all those fatty foods but the truth is you are fat because you fucking ate too much and didn't exercise. Maybe YOU do, but I don't need the government telling me what I can and can't eat.

IronMexican
05-18-2010, 04:08 PM
As long as he has his prune juice, he can eat whatever he wants.

CuckingFunt
05-18-2010, 04:16 PM
I realize that as a perpetually overweight kid you now feel you were victimized by those nasty profit hungry food companies that sold you all those fatty foods but the truth is you are fat because you fucking ate too much and didn't exercise. Maybe YOU do, but I don't need the government telling me what I can and can't eat.

If you're in a situation where you're reliant on vending machines for a quick snack, aren't you already essentially being told what you can and can't eat?

Duff McCartney
05-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Maybe YOU do, but I don't need the government telling me what I can and can't eat.

I don't think anyone does, but the truth is contrary to your belief, that's not what is happening here. They aren't banning any fatty foods from being eaten while at work. They are simply removing unhealthy snacks from the vending machines. If anyone doesn't like the selections they have in the vending machine, then quite simply they don't have to eat from the vending machines.

I find it ironic that you are criticizing the government for what you believe is telling people what to eat, yet you do the same thing when posters ask for recipes and chastise them for buying store bought things instead of making their own.

CosmicCowboy
05-18-2010, 04:18 PM
If you're in a situation where you're reliant on vending machines for a quick snack, aren't you already essentially being told what you can and can't eat?

Heck, just putting yourself in that position sounds like a choice to me.

z0sa
05-18-2010, 04:18 PM

He doesn't have a dog in this hunt, remember?

Seriously, it's stupid. If your employees are too lazy and stupid that they're becoming fatasses, it has little to do with your unhealthy vending machines and everything to do with them being lazy and stupid and ultimately, a fat ass. Hire better employees instead of blaming insurance burdens or whatever other BS.

CuckingFunt
05-18-2010, 04:19 PM
Heck, just putting yourself in that position sounds like a choice to me.

Of course it is.

Which kind of removes the validity from your "oh noes, food police!" argument.

JoeChalupa
05-18-2010, 04:22 PM
He doesn't have a dog in this hunt, remember?

Seriously, it's stupid. If your employees are too lazy and stupid that they're becoming fatasses, it has little to do with your unhealthy vending machines and everything to do with them being lazy and stupid and ultimately, a fat ass. Hire better employees instead of blaming insurance burdens or whatever other BS.

Better employees? Just because one decides to eat healthier that makes them a better employee?
So then you must your weight must be proportionate to your height or you are not hire-able?

CosmicCowboy
05-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Of course it is.

Which kind of removes the validity from your "oh noes, food police!" argument.

Most soda machines (as an example) give you a choice between regular and diet so everyone has an acceptable choice. I just think eliminating the "regular" sodas is a little autocratic.

JoeChalupa
05-18-2010, 04:23 PM
I don't care though since I never pay those outrageous vending machine prices. The price alone is enough to keep me away.

Blake
05-18-2010, 04:31 PM
What is next....these?

actually, the gatorade in that vending machine isn't a whole lot better than soda for a sedentary worker.

z0sa
05-18-2010, 04:33 PM
Better employees? Just because one decides to eat healthier that makes them a better employee?
So then you must your weight must be proportionate to your height or you are not hire-able?

Of course not. What I'm saying is, stop blaming vending machines and blame your employees. Vending machines didn't make them fat. Them sticking their fingers in their pockets for another 85 cents did.

Blake
05-18-2010, 04:34 PM

or just don't contribute to whatever problem they might have and get rid of vending machine items that have little to no nutritional value.

seriously stupid post.

Blake
05-18-2010, 04:36 PM
Of course not. What I'm saying is, stop blaming vending machines and blame your employees. Vending machines didn't make them fat. Them sticking their fingers in their pockets for another 85 cents did.

so cut off their paycheck instead of cutting out the vending machine. got it.

another seriously stupid post.

JoeChalupa
05-18-2010, 04:37 PM

But I still don't see why that makes them "bad" employees.

"Well, Joe, as part of your annual review I've noticed you buying a honey bunn from the vending machines. I'll have to lower your performance rating and although you do awesome work I'm going to have to let you go due to your eating habits. Now don't let the door hit your fat ass on the way out."

z0sa
05-18-2010, 04:39 PM
or just don't contribute to whatever problem they might have and get rid of vending machine items that have little to no nutritional value.

So cut off healthy people from paying for and eating the delicious snack of their choice because their other coworkers are lazy fatasses.

Seriously stupid post.

EmptyMan
05-18-2010, 04:40 PM
You could say Sculley performed a true....

SNACK ATTACK.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

z0sa
05-18-2010, 04:41 PM
But I still don't see why that makes them "bad" employees.

I never said they are bad employees. The city obviously thinks fat employees are a problem, though.

CosmicCowboy
05-18-2010, 04:44 PM
And sometimes "bad" food aren't that bad. I keep a bowl of M&M's on my desk. When I get a snack craving I will pop 2 or 3 and it goes away. It's not like I'm eating them by the handfuls.

z0sa
05-18-2010, 04:44 PM
so cut off their paycheck instead of cutting out the vending machine. got it.

You definitely don't "got it" :lol

JoeChalupa
05-18-2010, 04:45 PM
I never said they are bad employees. The city obviously thinks fat employees are a problem, though.

My bad, you just mean that thinner, healthier eating employees are better. I think.

Blake
So cut off healthy people from paying for and eating the delicious snack of their choice because their other coworkers are lazy fatasses.

Seriously stupid post.

No, cut off unhealthy snacks because unhealthy snacks are not a God-given right in the workplace. If healthy or unhealthy people want to eat a tub of lard, then let them bring their own to work instead of providing it in a vending machine for them.

Seriously, you are a stupid poster.

CuckingFunt
Most soda machines (as an example) give you a choice between regular and diet so everyone has an acceptable choice. I just think eliminating the "regular" sodas is a little autocratic.

Everyone has an acceptable choice... so long as they want soda.

It's just a dumb thing to freak out about. Sorry. As you yourself pointed out, getting snacks or drinks from a vending machine is always a choice. Always. And part of making that choice is recognizing, and accepting, that you're limited to the options available within those machines -- perhaps you're a Pepsi drinker, but all they have is Coke. Or you want Twinkies, but are only able to get Ho-Hos. All that's changing here are the options.

Vending machines aren't magical Jetson-esque contraptions that will produce any foods or drinks you want with the push of a button. You eat/drink what they have available, or you don't use them. Nature of the beast.

z0sa
05-18-2010, 04:46 PM
My bad, you just mean that thinner, healthier eating employees are better. I think.

That's what the city thinks.

Blake
05-18-2010, 04:46 PM
You definitely don't "got it" :lol

You are stupid.

I definitely got it the first time.

z0sa
05-18-2010, 04:47 PM
No, cut off unhealthy snacks because unhealthy snacks are not a God-given right in the workplace.

But healthy, low calorie ones are.

Seriously, you are a retarded poster.

Blake
05-18-2010, 04:49 PM
But healthy, low calorie ones are.

Seriously, you are a retarded poster.

No. They are a privilege.

Seriously, you are stupid. Seriously.

z0sa
05-18-2010, 04:50 PM
You are stupid.

The level of butthurt you exhibit anytime we have a conversation is the talk of legends.

CuckingFunt
05-18-2010, 04:50 PM
conversation

That what you're calling it?

z0sa
05-18-2010, 04:51 PM
No. They are a privilege.

Just like high calorie, delicious foods healthy people can eat safely without affecting the company's bottom line.

Blake
05-18-2010, 04:51 PM
The level of butthurt you exhibit anytime we have a conversation is the talk of legends.

Seriously, you changing the subject clearly exhibits your butthurtness.

z0sa
05-18-2010, 04:52 PM
That what you're calling it?

I'm sure you have a different suggestion.

z0sa
05-18-2010, 04:52 PM
Just like high calorie, delicious foods healthy people can eat safely without affecting the company's bottom line.

Seriously, you changing the subject clearly exhibits your butthurtness.

Seriously, you are stupid. Seriously. And butthurt. Seriously.

CosmicCowboy
05-18-2010, 04:54 PM
http://www.libertyguys.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/catfight-758695.jpg

CuckingFunt
05-18-2010, 04:56 PM
I'm sure you have a different suggestion.

I was thinking "foreplay" would be more apt.

CosmicCowboy
05-18-2010, 04:59 PM

:lmao @ makeup sex. Which one do you think is the pitcher?

z0sa
05-18-2010, 05:04 PM

You made CosmicCowboy laugh at least. And yourself.

Blake
05-18-2010, 05:05 PM

Yes it's the same privilege.

Why are you in favor of tempting healthy workers with bad food?

Blake
05-18-2010, 05:07 PM
http://www.libertyguys.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/catfight-758695.jpg

did they give you this img to play with when they issued you your "man-card"?

z0sa
05-18-2010, 05:07 PM

So, you didn't "get it" after all.

Blake
05-18-2010, 05:08 PM
So, you didn't "get it" after all.

No, I clearly get it.

You are seriously stupid.

z0sa
05-18-2010, 05:11 PM
No, I clearly get it.

Whatever you're getting, it's not any of the points I made in this thread, and "you are seriously stupid" won't convince me to help you understand them any better since you obviously need a multi-point, concise explanation.

So, enjoy your ignorance and inability to entertain even the simplest of arguments. You shall be ignored for the remainder of this thread.

Blake
05-18-2010, 05:12 PM
Seriously, you are stupid. Seriously. And butthurt. Seriously.

The anger you are clearly experiencing is strong. Did your boss take your twinkie machine away?

Blake
05-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Whatever you're getting, it's not any of the points I made in this thread, and "you are seriously stupid" won't convince me to help you understand them any better since you obviously need a multi-point, concise explanation.

So, enjoy your ignorance and inability to entertain even the simplest of arguments. You shall be ignored for the remainder of this thread.

I get it. You think you boss should put the twinkies back.

You are stupid if you think he owes you a twinkie machine.

JoeChalupa
05-18-2010, 05:14 PM

Why are you in favor of tempting healthy workers with bad food?

They need to stop tempting us good faithful husbands by hiring young hotties and tempting me with adultery.

z0sa
05-18-2010, 05:17 PM
The anger you are clearly experiencing is strong. Did your boss take your twinkie machine away?

:lol I thought changing the subject was a proof of being butthurt. At least you indirectly admit you are one butthurt person, and I am in your head.

z0sa
05-18-2010, 05:17 PM
I get it. You think you boss should put the twinkies back.

You are stupid if you think he owes you a twinkie machine.

I don't work for the city, Blake.

And before you respond so snarkly about me not ignoring you, no, I won't do you that disservice until 5:30. Sorry I lied.

Blake
05-18-2010, 05:21 PM
:lol I thought changing the subject was a proof of being butthurt. At least you indirectly admit you are one butthurt person, and I am in your head.

there is more than one way of proving you are butthurt.

If removing the machine causes you distress, then there are now two proofs of your extreme butthurt.

Hopefully your boss replaced your twinkie machine with a redass comfort pillow machine.

z0sa
05-18-2010, 05:23 PM
there is more than one way of proving you are butthurt.

So changing the subject is definitely a way of proving your butthurt according to you in this thread.

So you're butthurt.

If removing the machine causes you distress, then there are now two proofs of your extreme butthurt.

Hopefully your boss replaced your twinkie machine with a redass comfort pillow machine.

Repeat, I do not work for the city Blake. If I had a twinkie machine, it would be safe and sound in its dusty corner.

Blake
05-18-2010, 05:23 PM
I don't work for the city, Blake.

And before you respond so snarkly about me not ignoring you, no, I won't do you that disservice until 5:30. Sorry I lied.

I didn't imply you did. I implied that it appears your boss took away your twinkie machine.

I don't care if you ignore me or not. No lie.

z0sa
05-18-2010, 05:26 PM
I didn't imply you did. I implied that it appears your boss took away your twinkie machine.

I didn't say you implied anything. And I don't have one, but it would be safe regardless.

I don't care if you ignore me or not. No lie.

Oh give yourself some credit man. You'd seriously not care if you knew I wasn't reading your posts and getting a good chuckle? Lies, I say.

Blake
05-18-2010, 05:28 PM
So changing the subject is definitely a way of proving your butthurt according to you in this thread.

So you're butthurt.

I didn't change the subject. You did by specifically making a post about me.

At least you recognize that changing the thread means you got butthurt.

If I had a twinkie machine, it would be safe and sound in its dusty corner.

I would hire better people than you to keep the place free from dust.

Blake
05-18-2010, 05:29 PM
I didn't say you implied anything. And I don't have one, but it would be safe regardless.

:lol Yes you did. You just said I implied you work for the City.

Oh give yourself some credit man. You'd seriously not care if you knew I wasn't reading your posts and getting a good chuckle? Lies, I say.

I don't care about you putting me on ignore or not.

I like the entertainment level, but I can live without an entertainment vending machine such as yourself.

SpursWoman
05-18-2010, 05:30 PM

We only have one diet option, and it's always sold out. :spin

z0sa
05-18-2010, 05:30 PM
I didn't change the subject.

:lol

At least you recognize that changing the thread means you got butthurt.

I recognized it as your standard, not mine.

I would hire better people than you to keep the place free from dust.

Another subject change. Butthurt much?

CubanSucks
05-18-2010, 05:34 PM

You can become reliant on a quick snack?

ploto
05-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Purchasing Director Janie Cantu said her department is renegotiating the contract with the city's food vendor to ensure that products meet public school nutrition guidelines set by the Texas Department of Agriculture.

What I really want to know is if this is sincere or if it is just a ploy to switch vendors.

tlongII
05-18-2010, 06:12 PM
I want to have cigarette machines at work! Inside!

EricB
05-18-2010, 06:39 PM
"Govt, we know more than you!"

Blake
05-18-2010, 06:41 PM

How exactly did the government come into play here?

EricB
05-18-2010, 06:44 PM
How exactly did the government come into play here?

Is this a private business this is happening at?

Blake
05-18-2010, 06:50 PM
Is this a private business this is happening at?

no, it's a non-profit public entity.

Duff McCartney
05-18-2010, 07:13 PM

What a ridiculous asinine statement. But I expect nothing more from you. Rather than try to disect the issue and bring some substance you make ad hominem statements like this.

Dr. Gonzo
05-18-2010, 07:18 PM
I want to have cigarette machines at work! Inside!

That would kick ass.

mrsmaalox
05-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Did any of you guys go to a college that had beer vending machines in the dorms? My dad told me they existed, but I never saw them.

Drachen
05-18-2010, 07:40 PM
I have purchased beer from a vending machine many times, sadly all while in Germany.

Big P
05-18-2010, 08:43 PM
It's not about healthy snacks, it's about the govt making more decisions for us.

CosmicCowboy
05-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Did any of you guys go to a college that had beer vending machines in the dorms? My dad told me they existed, but I never saw them.

Nope, but a friend of mine's family in high school had one on the back porch. One of those old coke machines for the bottles. Drop a dime and slide the coke bottle over to the place you could pull it up. Only they always had it stocked with Lone Star Longnecks that were so cold the bottle would frost up when you opened it. They were extremely wealthy functioning alcoholics and would always leave us a basket of dimes when they went out. We would think we were real A list party animals till his parents came home. His mom would always want to dirty dance with me.

Duff McCartney
05-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Wealthy yet stocking a vending machine with Lone Star beer. Maybe they got rich by skimping on spending for beer.

EricB
05-18-2010, 11:05 PM
What a ridiculous asinine statement. But I expect nothing more from you. Rather than try to disect the issue and bring some substance you make ad hominem statements like this.

Its a statement that rings more and more true by the day. The government continues to invade our lives and tell us how to live them.

Glass houses on insults pal.

Blake
05-18-2010, 11:15 PM

the closest I came was having a refrigerator with a tap on the side.

Blake
05-18-2010, 11:19 PM
It's not about healthy snacks, it's about the govt making more decisions for us.

if it were a bowling alley changing the snacks in the machine, you wouldn't even open the thread.

don't worry....the big bad govt isn't out to put food in your mouth in this case.

Blake
05-18-2010, 11:20 PM
Its a statement that rings more and more true by the day. The government continues to invade our lives and tell us how to live them.

How exactly did the government invade our lives in this case?

z0sa
05-18-2010, 11:27 PM
if it were a bowling alley changing the snacks in the machine, you wouldn't even open the thread.

Your average bowling alley doesn't operate on tax dollars or hire hundreds of employees.

You are stupid.

Blake
05-18-2010, 11:34 PM
Your average bowling alley doesn't operate on tax dollars or hire thousands of employees.

You are stupid.

High calorie snacks in machines provide no positives and can only lead to negatives regarding the city employees whose salaries are paid by tax dollars.

You are a fucking idiot.

z0sa
05-18-2010, 11:37 PM
:lol You don't want to keep the subject on your retarded analogy I see. That's at least the 3rd subject change you've made since you said it proves someone is butthurt.

BTW, high calorie foods can be consumed as part of a healthy diet. "High calorie foods only leading to negatives" is a lie. "High calorie foods provide no positives" is also only your opinion.

Blake
05-19-2010, 12:00 AM
:lol You don't want to keep the subject on your retarded analogy I see. That's at least the 3rd subject change you've made since you said it proves someone is butthurt.

:lol right, it's an analogy.....not a subject change, and it's a correct analogy.
It's an organization that is changing the food choices out of the machines, much like any business can do.

:lol :lol You don't know what changing the subject means.

High calorie foods can be consumed as part of a healthy diet. "High calorie foods only leading to negatives" is a lie. "High calorie foods provide no positives" is also only your opinion.

What city employee that you know of counts on a high calorie snack from a vending machine as part of his/her diet?

Why should it be the city's responsibility to provide high calorie snacks?

z0sa
05-19-2010, 12:04 AM
Why should it be the city's responsibility to provide high calorie snacks?

Why should it be the city's responsibility to provide healthy snacks exclusively?

Blake
05-19-2010, 01:11 AM
Why should it be the city's responsibility to provide healthy snacks exclusively?

It's not the city's responsibility to provide snacks.

If employees don't like the snacks in the machines provided by their employer, then they should bring their own.

Drachen
05-19-2010, 08:41 AM
The government, just like any other employer, doesn't provide amenities/benefits for the sake of being nice or equitable. They provide these things to impact the retention of "good" employees, while at the same time trying to condition out "bad" qualities. The sole decider of what is a good quality and a bad quality is the employer. This is no different than USAA disallowing smoking on their campus, or SWBC making it grounds for immediate termination if anyone sees an employee smoking anywhere (even outside of the hours of work).

mrsmaalox
05-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Nope, but a friend of mine's family in high school had one on the back porch. One of those old coke machines for the bottles. Drop a dime and slide the coke bottle over to the place you could pull it up. Only they always had it stocked with Lone Star Longnecks that were so cold the bottle would frost up when you opened it. They were extremely wealthy functioning alcoholics and would always leave us a basket of dimes when they went out. We would think we were real A list party animals till his parents came home. His mom would always want to dirty dance with me.

I know a guy who has one of those machines in his gameroom. But he keeps it stocked with Miller Lite, which makes an ice cold Lone Star longneck sound even more delicious. I was actually surprised at the Lite, being he's a valley boy I fully expected Bud Light....

SpursWoman
05-19-2010, 10:42 AM
I still don't understand all of the "government stepping in and controlling our lives!!!!!!1111" posts in this thread.

They are not required to provide vending machines AT ALL. That is NOT your right as a City of San Antonio employee to have easy access to Zingers. :lol

So, instead of graciously providing shit-snack options for their employees, they will provide a little bit better options.

The horror!

boutons_deux
05-19-2010, 11:17 AM
"everyone has an acceptable choice"

both choices are unhealthy.

Duff McCartney
05-19-2010, 12:32 PM

Glass houses on insults pal.

Please...where was this outrage from you when the Patriot Act was signed? Or when the W administration was intruding into peoples private lives like the Terry Schiavo case or the likes?

Nowhere. You've done a complete 180 where 5 years ago it was not okay to criticize the Bush government where now it's your patriotic duty to protest against the tyrannical government.

Which by the way is only tyrannical in your mind.

sabar
05-20-2010, 03:22 AM
I'd rather eat the dollar bill than drink a diet soda or $2 water. The machines should just be removed. Frankly, the whole thing makes no sense. Diet machines are going to bring in less revenue and ramming diet sodas down your gullet isn't good for you, it's just a lesser of two evils.

Why not remove the machines?