PDA

View Full Version : The All-Minimum Team

GSH
05-19-2010, 01:19 AM
How about doing all of our re-building in a single season? We could set our sights on getting a 2011 lottery pick, and field a team next season made (almost) completely of minimum-salary, and rookie scale players. Then in 2011 we could finally sign Splitter, plus our lottery pick, and be ready for our 5th title. It started out as a joke, but I'm not sure it would be the worst thing we could do next season:

Let Tim and Tony claim injuries and take a year off to get all the way healthy. Trade Jefferson for a draft pick and a player to be waived later. That would give us our own first round pick, plus the one we get in the Jefferson trade. Both playing for rookie scale, of course. Bring back Hill, Blair, Hairston, and Garrett Temple. They are all playing for the minimum, or rookie scale.

Then, since we would be planning on having a crappy record, we could pander to sentimental Spurs fans to raise ticket sales. Just bring back all of the players that the fans have bitched about losing for the last several years - all at the league minimum, of course:

First on the list would be Bruce Bowen and Malik Rose.
Devin Brown could get one more home town contract, at the league minimum.
Rasho should be about ready for a minimum contract next year.
Antonio Daniels would probably like to finish his career here, and to get another contract next season.
Ian Mahinmi could get lost of minutes on the All-Minimum team.
To further boost ticket sales, we could sign both Robert Horry and Sean Elliott to a couple of 10-day contracts during the season.

That would only leave a few roster spots to fill. There must be a few more sentimental favorites out there who would sign a single season minimum deal?

A friend and I were joking about fielding an All-Minimum team, and I started thinking about it. The only fly in the ointment would be Manu. He has a big new contract, and he wouldn't take a season off even if it was offered. With our young players, plus Manu, and a little luck in the draft, would we finish with a bad enough record to guarantee a lottery pick in 2011?

Wouldn't it be a cast iron bitch to field an All-Minimum team and finish with an 8 seed? In the East, I don't think it would be out of the question.

Leetonidas
05-19-2010, 01:22 AM
No

FeZZy
05-19-2010, 01:32 AM
HEY! what a stupid idea!

ezau
05-19-2010, 01:33 AM
What the hell?

SpursTillTheEnd
05-19-2010, 01:37 AM
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/8065/aaaaik.jpg (http://img200.imageshack.us/i/aaaaik.jpg/)

bobby4germany
05-19-2010, 07:20 AM
-A-nP5sWjW0

sa_butta
05-19-2010, 08:00 AM
A friend and I were joking about fielding an All-Minimum team, .
Thank God, I thought you were serious....

sananspursfan21
05-19-2010, 12:28 PM
timothy duncan is getting no younger

SPURSCHAMP
05-19-2010, 05:06 PM
no

tdunk21
05-19-2010, 05:07 PM
terrible idea

manu the best
05-19-2010, 05:14 PM
:flipoff ...

GSH
05-20-2010, 12:34 AM
Thank God, I thought you were serious....

The frightening part is that only one person figured out it was just a goof. Damnnnn.

We were just joking around about fielding a whole team with minimum-contract players. But the joke got started because we were talking about how the Spurs are going to have to come up with some minimum contract miracles, because of all the big salaries they already have on the books.

The sad thing was, the more we joked about it, the more painful it made our current situation look - aging players and salary cap hell. Plus a bunch of other teams who have been clearing cap space for this season, who will be going after any of the players we will be considering.

After Tim, Tony, Manu, and RJ, the rest of that all-minimum roster may look a lot more like reality than some of you think.