PDA

View Full Version : Word of the day...Leverage

EmptyMan
05-19-2010, 04:06 PM
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local-beat/Power-Play-Over-Immigration-Law-94251079.html

Power Play Over Immigration Law

LA's boycott resolution sparks a threat over power the city receives from Arizona

:lol

Drachen
05-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Doh! Lol

Drachen
05-19-2010, 04:33 PM
... And now playing the part of Russia: Arizona!

Blake
05-19-2010, 04:56 PM
... And now playing the part of Russia: Arizona!

LA gets 25% of their power from Arizona.

My guess is that when/if AZ cuts off the switch, LA will have to get that 25% from wherever they are getting the remaining 75% from.

It would be interesting to know exactly who would lose out more if this goes down, because right now, I'm not really seeing LA losing all that much in the short term.

DMX7
05-19-2010, 05:00 PM
I'm pretty sure California has the capacity to power itself. However, their mostly unregulated markets mean the price would probably skyrocket.

Wild Cobra
05-19-2010, 05:23 PM
LA gets 25% of their power from Arizona.

My guess is that when/if AZ cuts off the switch, LA will have to get that 25% from wherever they are getting the remaining 75% from.

It would be interesting to know exactly who would lose out more if this goes down, because right now, I'm not really seeing LA losing all that much in the short term.
Well, the Oregon dams are capable of giving them 48.7% of their peak power usage through the Pacific Direct Current Intertie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Intertie). At what capacity we send them power, I don't know. The intertie is capable 0f 3.1 giga-watts. That means the LA area uses a peak power of around 6.4 giga-watts.

How many Delorians is that?

ChumpDumper
05-19-2010, 05:52 PM
So Arizona wants to go without that money as well?

TeyshaBlue
05-19-2010, 06:00 PM
So Arizona wants to go without that money as well?

Nah. Just like LA will find another vendor for that power, AZ will find another buyer...if it even comes to that.

Wild Cobra
05-19-2010, 06:06 PM
Nah. Just like LA will find another vendor for that power, AZ will find another buyer...if it even comes to that.
Thing is, there are limited transmission paths. The longer they are, and lower voltage they are, the greater the loss. The DC Interties is the most effective because it is at 500,000 volts, and DC rather than AC. You lose so much power with AC over long distances because the transmission wires start acting like an antenna, radiating the power out. Lower voltage has more power loss as well as it doesn't overcome the line resistance as well.

If California could make up the difference from the power they would be paying a great deal more in prices.

Blake
05-19-2010, 06:14 PM

even drug cartels need energy to power the police stations they take control of............as long as they are legal immigrant drug cartel warlords of course.....