PDA

View Full Version : Will Phil Jackson even consider the Spurs?

Fabbs
05-19-2010, 11:55 PM
With Lord Poppycocks ruination plan for the Spurs in full swing and his desire to not ride off until the ruin is complete, would Phil even consider coming to the sinking Spurs vs some other of the other good and potentially great openings? (Where are you going LeBron? I want you, Bosh, and Phil Jackson on the Brooklyn Nets) Would Holt be too idiotic/attached to Pops ass to give Phil J an offer?

Pay cut involved in Jackson's return
By Dave McMenamin
ESPNLosAngeles.com http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5202910

LOS ANGELES -- Are the Lakers trying to low ball Phil Jackson?

The 10-time title winning coach, in the last year of his current contract with the Lakers that pays him a reported $12.5 million for 2009-10, told reporters Wednesday prior to Game 2 of the Western Conference finals that he has already had discussions with the team's front office about coming back next season and the Lakers want to reduce his salary.

"It's been indicated there will be a salary cut but not ... I'm not going to say 'down,' that's kind of weird to say stuff like that," Jackson said. "It's still a ridiculous salary whatever it is."

The pay cut was first reported by Michael Wilbon when he appeared on Tony Kornheiser's WTEM-AM radio show in Washington D.C. on Monday.

"Jackson's been told that not only will he not be making $12 million next year, it's going to be a $5 million cap on his salary," Wilbon said, citing unnamed sources.

Jackson first mentioned the potential pay cut on Dec. 19 before the Lakers played the Nets in New Jersey.

"A lot of it has to do with the direction the league is going, the direction the ownership wants to go in," Jackson said. "People are cutting costs all around the league, and coaches are obviously going to take a cut too, so they may not even want to hire me. They may want to save some money."

When a reporter followed up Jackson's statement by asking him if he would accept a lowered salary, Jackson responded, "Would you?"

Jeanie Buss, Jackson's girlfriend and the daughter of Lakers owner Jerry Buss, has her own idea of what might happen.

"I think if they win, it's like a no-brainer he'll come back because he'll want to win three in a row," Jeanie Buss, Lakers executive vice president, said Wednesday night. "But [if they don't win], if there isn't that connection, he would understand.

"Plus, my dad has made it very clear he doesn't want to pay him what he's been paying him. So that's kind of hard, too. You could kind of say, in some jobs, well, I'm cutting back your hours. But can you see him cutting back his hours?"

The future of the 64-year old coach has been a mystery surrounding the team all season.

On March 26 in Oklahoma City Jackson said, "No decision and no leaning at all. I'm leaning against the wall and that's about it," after a report surfaced earlier that day that Jackson had made his decision to return.

On April 28, Jeanie Buss told ESPNLA.com's Ramona Shelburne that Jackson would definitely be back on the sidelines for the 2010-11 season, just not necessarily in Los Angeles.

"I know Phil will be coaching next year, somewhere. Whether it's here or someplace else I don't know," Buss said. "There's going to be a lot of good jobs that come up this summer."

On May 4, during the second round against the Utah Jazz, Jackson said, "I'd say it's 90 percent that if I'm coaching it'll be here."

On Monday, prior to Game 1 of the conference finals, Jackson modified the line he used in Oklahoma City, saying, "I'm leaning on a podium, that's about it," when asked about a radio interview with Fox Sports Radio's "The Petros and Money Show" when Jackson's stance seemed to waiver.

"Well I think it's pretty good," he said following a question about his chances of retiring after this season. "It's really about how I feel about getting into another 82-game season. It's a commitment."

Dave McMenamin covers the Lakers for ESPNLosAngeles.com.

bigfan
05-19-2010, 11:58 PM
Jackson is an overrated turd. Lets see him take the Kings or T Wolves and see what he can do.

Fabbs
05-20-2010, 12:00 AM
Jackson is an overrated turd. Lets see him take the Kings or T Wolves and see what he can do.
Playoff series vs Popped: 4-1 Phil.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-20-2010, 12:02 AM
Do the Spurs have the most talented team in the league? Does Holt have a daughter he toss Phil's way?

Well that's settled.

Buddy Holly
05-20-2010, 12:02 AM
http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/2381/popwtf.png

kromediablo
05-20-2010, 12:21 AM
How about Phil to New York?

DesignatedT
05-20-2010, 12:28 AM
phil will join lebron. book it

murpjf88
05-20-2010, 12:46 AM

This should read Playoff series vs Popped: 4-1 Kobe.

Mel_13
05-20-2010, 12:46 AM

And?

The guy has 10 rings. He has a winning record against almost everyone that has coached in the NBA for the last two decades.

Phil vs Hall of Famer and Fabbs Fave Pat Riley: 4-1

Phil vs Hall of Famer Jerry Sloan: 5-0

Look who does have a winning record vs Phil: Mike D'Antoni is 2-0 vs Phil. By Fabbs logic, D'Antoni must be a better coach than Phil.

So, I guess we should get D'Antoni to replace Pop. Except that Mike is 0-3 vs. Pop.

:rolleyes

murpjf88
05-20-2010, 12:48 AM
And?

The guy has 10 rings. He has a winning record against almost everyone that has coached in the NBA for the last two decades.

Look who does have a winning record vs Phil: Mike D'Antoni is 2-0 vs Phil. By Fabbs logic, D'Antoni must be a better coach than Phil.

So, I guess we should get D'Antoni to replace Pop. Except that Mike is 0-3 vs. Pop.

Who wouldn't coaching MJ and Kobe. Makes life a little easier.

SpursTillTheEnd
05-20-2010, 12:51 AM
Phil jackson fucking sucks he doesn't even coach all he says is for kobe and mj to shoot , let see what he could do with the oakland grizzlies lets see if he could get them to a ncaa title

Mel_13
05-20-2010, 12:51 AM

Exactly.

21_Blessings
05-20-2010, 01:43 AM
This should read Playoff series vs Popped: 4-1 Kobe.

No it should read like this:

Kobe > Duncan

:flag:

spurs10
05-20-2010, 01:56 AM

Kobe > Duncan

Kobe has won one in the last 7 years without Shaq, Tim has won 3, as the star of the team, so Duncan> Kobe!

NFGIII
05-20-2010, 02:14 AM

Kobe > Duncan

Kobe without Shaq wont get it done in TD's prime. Even with Gasol TD, in his prime, smokes Pau all game long.

Shaq was the reason LA got that 3peat much more so than Kobe.

wijayas
05-20-2010, 04:32 AM
With Lord Poppycocks ruination plan for the Spurs in full swing and his desire to not ride off until the ruin is complete, would Phil even consider coming to the sinking Spurs vs some other of the other good and potentially great openings? (Where are you going LeBron? I want you, Bosh, and Phil Jackson on the Brooklyn Nets) Would Holt be too idiotic/attached to Pops ass to give Phil J an offer?

I am not sure who is more idiotic. Holt or Fabbs?

Phil cannot win without MJ and Kobe/Shaq. Why do yuo want him in SA? :bang

Bukefal
05-20-2010, 04:44 AM
Better: "Will the Spurs even consider Phil? " That's how it is.

And no, the spurs will not consider, because we have a great coach.

Fabbs
05-20-2010, 04:50 AM
I am not sure who is more idiotic. Holt or Fabbs?

Phil cannot win without MJ and Kobe/Shaq. Why do yuo want him in SA? :bang
I'm not sure who is smarter. wijayas or a can of pinto beans?
'Popped cannot win with Duncan/GNob/Parker. Why do you want him in SA?

Fabbs
05-20-2010, 04:56 AM
And?

By Mel_13s logic, Rileys Knick and Heat teams had 3-4 HOFers just like Popped had.
Yeah,

ChumpDumper
05-20-2010, 05:01 AM
How much are you personally going to pay Jackson, Fabbs?

Mel_13
05-20-2010, 06:56 AM
By Mel_13s logic, Rileys Knick and Heat teams had 3-4 HOFers just like Popped had.
Yeah,

So, when Jackson beat Riley and Sloan it was because he had superior rosters and when he beat Pop it was because he was the better coach? Really? :rolleyes

Kindly explain how D'Antoni-led Suns team without Amare came back from a 3-1 deficit and beat a PJ-led Lakers team with a healthy Kobe? :rolleyes:rolleyes

Finally, your 3-4 HOFer bit is among the weakest Fabbisms of all. It is extremely doubtful that any Spurs team ever had 4 players, regardless of stage of their career, that would eventually end up in the HOF (the 2003 team is the only possibility and that team only had one player playing at even an All-Star level, let alone HOF level, and Pop beat a Phil team with two HOFers in their prime). There certainly were no Spurs teams among the four that lost to Phil that had that many players playing at a level one would associate with a HOFer. It is not a serious argument, but one must consider the source.:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes

blizz
05-20-2010, 07:30 AM
this should be locked....stupid stupid stupid. btw....kobe better than duncan? they play different positions you dumbass. kobe hasn't won anything without shaq or a loaded roster.

honestfool84
05-20-2010, 08:12 AM
i figured i'd get this idiocy when i read that the thread was started by Fabbs.

tdunk21
05-20-2010, 08:15 AM

Kobe > Duncan

kobe and duncan play 2 different positions....duncan is the best in history for his position...and kobe is not.....always behind MJ.....kobe was the 2nd option on the 3peat laker team...and kobe needs another superstar type player like gasol to even get noticed by the league....so stfu with ur lame explanations.....i hereby u live upto the expectations of being the clown of spurstalk with ur idiotic comparisons and argument...

lefty
05-20-2010, 08:24 AM
Jackson is going to coach Lebron in Chicago.

Dex
05-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Fabbs just posting the idiocy he is supposed to post. No surprises here.

Blake
05-20-2010, 08:48 AM
Even if the Spurs desperately wanted Phil, I would think the odds of him ever coaching here are just slightly better than the odds of Red Auerbach ever coaching here.

21_Blessings
05-20-2010, 12:29 PM
What's funny is Duncan would Kobe's 2nd option if they were on the same team. :lmao :lmao :lmao

kobe was the 2nd option on the 3peat laker team...

During closing time Kobe was the 1st option and a 1B or 1A depending on the matchup during the final repeat. Repeat. Repeaaaating repeatedly. I love the word repeat. It just rolls off the tongue.

Stringer_Bell
05-20-2010, 12:34 PM
At Phil's age, I would not be surprised if he let Jeanie Buss make the decision. She's one hot tamale. :hat

http://news.about-knowledge.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/jeanie_buss2.jpg

Oh, Gee!!
05-20-2010, 12:43 PM

doug collins and del harris