PDA

View Full Version : The Freshness Factor

HB22inSA
05-11-2005, 09:53 AM
The Spurs have obviously gotten quite a bit of rest lately (in the playoffs--no back-to-backs; 3 days rest in between games, etc.).

But look at the minutes the big three are putting in:

Parker 36.0
Duncan 33.4
Ginobili 30.1

Come playoff time, these guys should be playing 40+ minutes per game.

I don't want to hear about the fatigue factor with this team for the remainder of the playoffs.

These guys are getting rest and playing 7-8 minutes less per game than they should be.

And especially if they sweep the Sonics or win in 5, the Spurs will have another long layoff in between series.

Obstructed_View
05-11-2005, 10:02 AM
Who's talking about a fatigue factor?

CosmicCowboy
05-11-2005, 10:09 AM
yeah you are right...lets play our stars 48 minutes in blowouts. We all know players can't get hurt in garbage time.

MadDog73
05-11-2005, 10:13 AM
yeah you are right...lets play our stars 48 minutes in blowouts. We all know players can't get hurt in garbage time.

I think you mis-understood his point. He's not advocating playing them more minutes, he's saying that in the Future, there should be no gripes about Fatigue.

(reading between the lines, I think this a pre-emptive strike against Manu) :(

Obstructed_View
05-11-2005, 10:17 AM
If Manu and Tony are fatigued, it's because they get clobbered so much, and their minutes aren't the determining factor. Go running on a hardwood floor and fall down as many times as they did and then come talk to me. Hopefully they still have another three or four weeks of basketball to play, so keeping healthy and keeping fresh is important.

Summers
05-11-2005, 10:23 AM
The Spurs have obviously gotten quite a bit of rest lately

Come playoff time, these guys should be playing 40+ minutes per game.

I don't think they're being rested so much as Pop likes to take advantage of his bench depth (none of the starters have to put in huge minutes). I agree the starters will play a lot more in the fnals, but I still wouldn't expect anyone to go much past 40 minutes. (There was an article several weeks ago about this, about Pop for the last couple years playing with resting the starters more and giving the bench a lot more time).

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-11-2005, 10:25 AM
At this time of year there is the fatigue factor of having played 100+ games already. A couple of days off between games isn't going to change that.

I'm not sure if your post is saying the starters should play more minutes or that exhaustion shouldn't be an excuse for anything, but either way it doesn't make much sense.

Mr. Body
05-11-2005, 10:39 AM
Handling teams the way they have helps, but it brings odd moments. Last night I nearly freaked when I realized Manu and Parker were playing nearly the entire 3rd quarter, thinking something was wrong. I'm not used to looking like the Suns, who only have 7 players worth a damn.

I also see Pop liking the different looks the bench gives him. They're so talented, it's always helpful to bring in an Udrih or Barry or Horry or Big Dog to change the way a position looks. Robinson for better shooting and more brute strength, Udrih for a slower, more deliberate tempo and a better 3-pt shooter, etc. Stick Horry in there for savviness and a potentially game-changing play. You want to give these guys time on the court.

HB22inSA
05-11-2005, 04:54 PM
reading between the lines, I think this a pre-emptive strike against Manu
Ding, ding, ding, tell him what he's won, Johnny!!!!

Solid D
05-11-2005, 05:04 PM
The Freshness Factor?

As for the Sonics and Ray Allen, aren't there some feminine products at Walgreens that help with that "not-so-fresh feeling"? I believe so.

T Park
05-11-2005, 05:08 PM
if ginobili looks tired, he looks tired.

you can hate, and bitch, and say "no excuses" all you freakin want.