PDA

View Full Version : Tough Tim spurs on teammates

Jimcs50
05-11-2005, 11:10 AM
Tough Tim spurs on teammates
By Ric Bucher, ESPN The Magazine

AP
The Spurs are a protective bunch, especially when little Tony Parker is endangered.SAN ANTONIO -- Manu Ginobili had the most points and Nazr Mohammed had the most rebounds, but it would be comical to call anyone other than Tim Duncan the offensive and defensive leader of the Spurs Tuesday night.

When the Sonics futilely tried to avoid a second decisive loss by rattling the Spurs' collective cages, Duncan did more than refuse to back down. He took the fight -- in pure basketball terms -- to the Sonics, putting Jerome James, Reggie Evans and Nick Collison all in foul trouble while letting it be known he wouldn't tolerate any of the other Spurs being manhandled, either.

"The most laidback superstar I've ever seen or played with," as veteran teammate Tony Massenburg describes him, made his presence felt when Rashard Lewis swiped at Ginobili after a whistle already had been blown for a tripping foul on Jerome James in the final minute of the second quarter. Duncan stepped up to Lewis and said, "You don't need to be doing that." When James knocked down Ginobili on a second-half drive, Duncan stepped up to him, too, wordlessly letting him know his foul wasn't OK, either. :smokin

The air was so thick with off-the-ball acrimony that as the teams left the floor for halftime, referee Bob Delaney stood at midcourt and watched the players leave, looking for potential trouble spots to be dealt with in the second half.

Duncan nearly became one of those spots by the end of the third quarter. After Tony Parker picked himself up after a thwarted drive holding his eye, Duncan scored on a driving floater while being sandwiched by James and Evans. He then ran back on defense and yelled at coach Gregg Popovich, "Hey, I'm getting one!" Meaning either a hard foul or a technical, or both. He never got the chance, in part because Evans flopped to draw a foul on Glenn Robinson. Which only steamed Duncan more.

Popovich, understanding his star needed to vent, called for Five-Down, a basic post-up for Duncan. Evans knocked the first entry pass out of bounds. Duncan glared at Popovich and whirled his finger in the air, demanding the play again. This time he got the ball, backed Evans down and wheeled into the paint, scoring on another floater while drawing a foul on Evans that sent him to the bench. Sonics coach Nate McMillan apparently sensed Evans was a marked man and didn't play him the entire fourth quarter, even though he had only four fouls.

James was next on Duncan's to-do list. This time he posted up on the right block, worked his way to the paint and faked the floater. James bit hard and Duncan spun the other way for an uncontested four-footer off the glass.

For what it's worth, Ray Allen tried to lead the Sonics in similar fashion, ignoring the taunts of Spurs' fans who took exception to Allen's publicized complaints about Bruce Bowen's defensive tactics. One woman in a courtside seat held up a sign that read, "REF! REF! BRUCE IS LOOKING AT ME!" with an infant wearing Allen's 34 jersey. The officials, though, had their eyes on Bowen, who was limited to 17 minutes, picking up his second foul on Allen less than five minutes into the game. He logged barely more than a minute in the third quarter before picking up Foul No. 4.

Allen's shooting form is so pristine that he generally only misses long or short, but the ankle he sprained in Game 1 clearly affected him in the first quarter when he repeatedly hit side iron on his jumper and even let Bowen drive by him for a layup.

Allen hung in there, finishing with 25 points, but his cool demeanor in response to the wisecracks from the stands -- "Put on a dress!" -- and his smooth, lightning-quick points couldn't inspire Seattle the way Duncan's glares and bump-and-grind buckets did San Antonio.

"It makes you really glad when an All-Star steps up and defends you," Ginobili said.

Leading in ways that don't show up in the box score is what the Spurs hoped for from Duncan once David Robinson and Avery Johnson left, but a player either has those ingredients or he doesn't. There were doubters for a while, but game by game, season by season, he has let a little more of his fiery side show.

That's why, even though his offensive numbers were at career lows this season across the board, he was more of an MVP in my mind than when he won the award over Jason Kidd three years ago. Great players do what they do best. MVPs do what best meets their team's needs.

For Duncan, on this San Antonio team, it means taking names as much as dishing out numbers.

When asked if he went out of his way to challenge the Sonics for manhandling Ginobili, Duncan said, "Nope. Just being me." :smokin

It certainly looked like it.

TMSKILZ
05-11-2005, 11:16 AM
that's right, instead of popping off & getting T-UP by the Refs, he took it to them bums through his play & made them pay the proper way!

duncan2k5
05-11-2005, 11:24 AM
i remember when he stepped to rashard after he cheap shot gino. and that fake on james was...priceless

nkdlunch
05-11-2005, 11:24 AM
yeah he made the seattle bigs look like useless refrigerators.

LilMissSPURfect
05-11-2005, 11:29 AM
i remember when he stepped to rashard after he cheap shot gino. and that fake on james was...priceless

in the words of Sean Elliot...

"here u go mr james...i found your jock sticking to tim's shoes"

:lol

Dingle Barry
05-11-2005, 11:30 AM
best basketball player alive

duncan2k5
05-11-2005, 11:55 AM
hey dingle berry, the person in your avtar looks like he could be ginobili's father. lol...ummm...yea...I digress...

Manu20
05-11-2005, 12:12 PM
http://espn.go.com/media/nba/2005/0510/photo/a_murray_il.jpg
:lol Nazr looks like he is going to slap somebody.

caŽlo
05-11-2005, 01:43 PM
great read!

good to know our superstar doesnt go low as going public and saying he'll hit someone hard somebody the next game.

very classy indeed!

Ocotillo
05-11-2005, 01:54 PM
hey dingle berry, the person in your avtar looks like he could be ginobili's father. lol...ummm...yea...I digress...

How soon they forget. That was our last import from Italy.....Vinnie Del Negro.

T Park
05-11-2005, 02:20 PM
Vinnie Del Negro.

how soon you forget it was VINNY!

not vinnie.

Vinny with his patened pull up jumper, and hair fake.

themvp
05-11-2005, 02:23 PM
http://espn.go.com/media/nba/2005/0510/photo/a_murray_il.jpg
:lol Nazr looks like he is going to slap somebody.
:lol

samikeyp
05-11-2005, 02:28 PM
The hair fake RULED! :lol

Got to talk to him once at the bar at Howl at the Moon. Great guy.

T Park
05-11-2005, 02:29 PM
Whats funny Mikey, when he used to the post game shows, a friend of mine bought his jersey and would always yell VINNY!!! and be showing him his jersey

well, vinny never turned to him, and would always ghost him.

Him and Perdue.

We always got a laugh out of that them guys thinking they were hot shit.

Dingle Barry
05-11-2005, 02:36 PM
Vinny's patented move was turning around to dribble backwards at halfcourt.

Sonia_TX
05-11-2005, 02:39 PM
I met Vinny once (when Rodman was on the team). I was just a little sophomore in high school and my friend and I were gaga over him. haha I wonder what happened to that autograph... hmm.

Ozzy
05-11-2005, 02:54 PM
One woman in a courtside seat held up a sign that read, "REF! REF! BRUCE IS LOOKING AT ME!" with an infant wearing Allen's 34 jersey.

This literaly sent me ROTFL... :elephant

CosmicCowboy
05-11-2005, 03:30 PM
One woman in a courtside seat held up a sign that read, "REF! REF! BRUCE IS LOOKING AT ME!" with an infant wearing Allen's 34 jersey.

unfortunately they called a foul on Bruce every time she held the sign up...

Ginofan
05-11-2005, 03:38 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/images/2004-2005/BKN0511_spurs11_duncan_bms.jpg
Don't mess with my boys, punk!

SpursWoman
05-11-2005, 03:40 PM

This literaly sent me ROTFL... :elephant

Me, too. :lol :lol

Jimcs50
05-11-2005, 03:43 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/images/2004-2005/BKN0511_spurs11_duncan_bms.jpg

Scarface Tim: "Say hello to my little friend."

SpursWoman
05-11-2005, 03:52 PM
Don't mess with my boys, punk!

Oh, damn... kick his ass, Timmy! :makemyday

Obstructed_View
05-11-2005, 03:58 PM
I think Timmy getting into Rashard's grill was my favorite moment in the entire season.

Sonia_TX
05-11-2005, 04:08 PM
I would love to see the look on Rashards face at that exact moment.

Athenea
05-11-2005, 04:21 PM
I'm soooooo happy about this!
Last post-season Malone's elbows got stacked in TD's ribs. And all LAL players took turns to knock TP down. There was no answer in the Spurs emotionally wise.
To see TD and Nazr getting into it due to cheap shots at their teammates is great. :elephant :elephant :elephant

HB22inSA
05-11-2005, 06:48 PM
Isn't it 4 down, and not 5 down?

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-11-2005, 06:51 PM
No wonder LJ tells me I'm wrong all the time, Pop changed the name on the damn play! :lol

Obstructed_View
05-11-2005, 06:52 PM
I'm soooooo happy about this!
Last post-season Malone's elbows got stacked in TD's ribs. And all LAL players took turns to knock TP down. There was no answer in the Spurs emotionally wise.
To see TD and Nazr getting into it due to cheap shots at his teammates is great. :elephant :elephant :elephant
Are you a Spurs fan? Not sure I understand this post.

CosmicCowboy
05-11-2005, 06:53 PM
Isn't it 4 down, and not 5 down?

I think Horry was at the 4 at that time...I do know that I was watching Tims body language at the time and thinking that he was about to hyperfocus and kick some ass...

E20
05-11-2005, 06:56 PM
TIM DUNCAN IS MY BOI!!!
(and a crazy ass mofo)

boutons
05-11-2005, 07:07 PM
How about that Glenn throwing <somebody> on the floor?

and how about John Boy/Beno getting inside Shard's Jersey on defense on the wing. He got a foul, but Beno was bellying up to Shard like Beno was 6'10".

Where TF did this physical toughness by all the Spurs come from? I think somebody made a speech along the lines of "The NBA Title is O U R S to lose, and nobody's gonna take it away from us"

Maybe I'm being to romantic with that, but something is really gotten in the Spurs, even more this series than after Game1 vs Nugz.

Every game the Spurs ratchet up the defensive intensity and focus.

exstatic
05-11-2005, 07:16 PM
If Tim keeps this focus, Seattle won't come any closer to a game at home than they did here.

Good Times.

RobinsontoDuncan
05-11-2005, 07:17 PM
I love remembering what Tim did to Antonio Davis against Chicago, remember them getting double t-ed up because tim was taunting? That was classic.

CajunMan
05-11-2005, 08:09 PM
determinazhion....proteczhion.....aggreszion....

fan satisfaczion...

milkyway21
05-11-2005, 08:18 PM
, but it would be comical to call anyone other than Tim Duncan the offensive and defensive leader of the Spurs Tuesday night.

he wouldn't tolerate any of the other Spurs being manhandled, either.

are you guys referring to this?

see how Tim Duncan protective of his teammates:
http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/SABO118051100_viewer.jpg
San Antonio Spurs' Tim Duncan, right, picks up teammate Manu Ginobili, of Argentina, in the fourth quarter of their second-round playoff game against the Seattle SuperSonics at the SBC Center in San Antonio, Tuesday, May 10, 2005. The Spurs won 108-91.(AP Photo/Bob Owen)

Athenea
05-11-2005, 09:12 PM
Are you a Spurs fan? Not sure I understand this post.
May be coz as u state yourself your view is obstructed :rolleyes .

Horry For 3!
05-11-2005, 10:03 PM
Vinny Del Negro....I remember him, he was a cool guy. He would always eat lasagna at Charlie Parker's house before games.

rwb
05-11-2005, 11:06 PM
That's why I'm proud to be a Spurs fan...Tim never whines, makes excuses or threatens. He just takes care of business on the court like a real pro should. I don't ever want to hear a Spur talk the kind of trash the Nuggets and Sonics have. Just play the game, win and let's have another parade at the Riverwalk.