PDA

View Full Version : 5 masterpieces stolen in Paris

lefty
05-20-2010, 01:57 PM
bbc.co.uk

Five paintings by Picasso, Matisse and other great artists have been stolen from the Museum of Modern Art in Paris, French officials say.
The paintings are estimated to be worth just under 100m euros (£86m; $123m).
They were taken overnight on Wednesday and reported missing early on Thursday, officials say.
The museum, across the River Seine from the Eiffel Tower, has been cordoned off by investigators.
Continue reading the main story (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/10130840.stm#skip_feature_02) http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/47886000/jpg/_47886203_picasso_bridgeman_library.jpg In pictures: Stolen Paris masterpieces (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/europe/10133746.stm)
Security camera footage reportedly shows someone entering the museum through a window during the night.
"This is a serious crime to the heritage of humanity," Christophe Girard, deputy culture secretary at the Paris Town Hall, told a news conference.
The theft was committed by "one or more individuals who were obviously organised", Mr Girard said.
He added that investigators were looking into how the museum's security system and several guards were outsmarted by the thief or thieves.
Mr Girard put the value of the stolen paintings at just under 100m euros (£86m; $123m). They had earlier been estimated to be worth some 500m euros (£431m; $618m).
The five missing paintings are Dove with Green Peas by Pablo Picasso (painted in 1911), Pastoral by Henri Matisse (1906), Olive Tree near l'Estaque by Georges Braque (1906), Woman with Fan by Amedeo Modigliani (1919) and Still Life with Candlestick by Fernand Leger (1922).
Broken padlock Museum officials discovered the theft early on Thursday, when they found a smashed window and a broken padlock which had been cut to gain access to the five paintings.
GREAT ART HEISTS

Continue reading the main story (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/10130840.stm#skip_feature_02)

February 2008: Four paintings by Cezanne, Degas, Van Gogh and Monet are stolen from the EG Buehrle Collection, a private museum in Zurich. The Van Gogh and Monet paintings were recovered
August 2004: Two paintings by Edvard Munch, The Scream and Madonna, are stolen from the Munch Museum in Oslo. Recovered two years later
April 1991: Twenty paintings are stolen from the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam. Found shortly afterwards in abandoned car nearby
March 1990: Works by Vermeer, Rembrandt and Manet are stolen from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston. Still lost

It is still unclear why the alarm systems did not alert staff earlier, reports the BBC's David Chazan in Paris.
There has not been anything comparable since the 1990 theft at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston of a Vermeer, several Rembrandts, Degas and other masterpieces, says BBC Arts Correspondent David Sillito.
None of these works has yet been recovered.
Though there is often speculation that works have been "stolen to order" for dishonest collectors, experts in the field say that in reality this is very unusual.
Investigators think that international criminal gangs use art works effectively as a form of currency.
For criminals dealing in drugs or weapon, a rolled up painting is away of carrying very large amounts of "currency", even if it is one tenth of the value at auction, the BBC's arts correspondent adds.
The Museum of Modern Art of the City of Paris, located in the east wing of the Palais de Tokyo building, is separate from the bigger and better-known national collection of modern art at the Pompidou Centre.

ididnotnothat
05-20-2010, 02:20 PM
There is always someone with the right skills to pull off a job like this.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/6FiX7qWUbgA/0.jpg

LnGrrrR
05-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Where in the world is Carman Sandiego?

koriwhat
05-20-2010, 05:19 PM
i will never understand art that is dubbed masterpieces because most if not all are just pieces of shit.

what the fuck? just because some dipshit 100's of yrs ago decided to throw some paint on a canvas it is somehow art or just because some dipshit with no artistic ability down at first friday decides to make another crap dayofthedead piece it's art? wtf!?

i see more real artists on deviantart.com & 3dtotal.com than in any museum.

Sisk
05-20-2010, 07:03 PM
i will never understand art that is dubbed masterpieces because most if not all are just pieces of shit.

what the fuck? just because some dipshit 100's of yrs ago decided to throw some paint on a canvas it is somehow art or just because some dipshit with no artistic ability down at first friday decides to make another crap dayofthedead piece it's art? wtf!?

:rollin

DJ Mbenga
05-20-2010, 07:41 PM
i dont get these paintings. just somebody throwing up on a canvass. but something like "las meninas". now thats worth the hype

LnGrrrR
05-20-2010, 07:50 PM
In order to "get" these paintings, it really requires you to know the history of the subject. Many of the paintings/artwork we see today are descendants of earlier art. As well, art is historical because it reflects a certain time and place in the world. We take perspective for granted nowadays, but it wasn't always so.

Now, don't get me wrong, alot of things that are termed "art" nowadays are pretty cruddy. But Picasso was a great painter, with wide-ranging influence, and not all of his work involved surreal "eye near the mouth" type paintings.

TDMVPDPOY
05-20-2010, 10:18 PM
this is what i dont get about art

picasso was a fkn nobody all of a sudden the morons needed to market someone so they hype up his paintings?

so whose the next great artist that we see coming out anyway? or do we have to wait another 100 yrs?

CuckingFunt
05-20-2010, 11:08 PM
this is what i dont get about art

picasso was a fkn nobody all of a sudden the morons needed to market someone so they hype up his paintings?

so whose the next great artist that we see coming out anyway? or do we have to wait another 100 yrs?

Pablo Picasso was never a nobody. His work was wildly popular and influential while he was alive and working, especially once he and Georges Braques developed Cubism.

CuckingFunt
05-20-2010, 11:35 PM
Art =/= pretty pictures. Or unpretty pictures. Or pictures, for that matter. Art is many things, good and bad. And recognizing these works as art doesn't take away from the importance of Velasquez' Las Meninas. Or from the stuff people put up on deviantart.com. It can all exist as art.

Ultimately, anyone is perfectly justified to suggest that these and similar works aren't their cup of tea visually. It's a matter of personal taste and wholly subjective. The Picasso and Braque works that were taken are examples of my least favorite form of Cubism, for instance. And I've never been a huge Modigliani fan.

Attempting to deny their importance within the history of art, however, is just flat out ignorant. And indicates not only a lack of knowledge or education on the subject, but also a lack of interest. Which really makes one wonder why you (collectively, not singling anyone out) bothered responding to the thread with such impassioned vitriol.

The argument that there is little talent or thought behind these works is equally ignorant. I'm pretty sure that, if I really put my mind to it, I have the technical ability to make a painting that looks like some of Matisse's work. And I could damn sure crank out a Mondrian, or a Rothko, or an Ellsworth Kelly. We all could. Anyone with enough manual dexterity to operate a computer mouse could. But none of us have. And we likely wouldn't, unless working directly from their influence.

DJ Mbenga
05-21-2010, 02:12 AM
i just dont like the random looking modern stuff inspired by Picasso. he certainly isnt a nobody. seems like spain had some good ass art.
i personally liked Goya's work.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-21-2010, 08:25 AM
The marketing for the upcoming season of Leverage has officially gone too far.

MiamiHeat
05-21-2010, 10:05 AM
http://i12.tinypic.com/2me4zme.jpg

lefty
05-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Pablo Picasso was never a nobody. His work was wildly popular and influential while he was alive and working, especially once he and Georges Braques developed Cubism.
His work was fugly and retarded

Viva Las Espuelas
05-21-2010, 10:53 AM
There is always someone with the right skills to pull off a job like this.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/6FiX7qWUbgA/0.jpg

:worthy:

ms zeta jones, what a fine specimen you are.

koriwhat
05-21-2010, 11:02 AM
:worthy:

ms zeta jones, what a fine specimen you are.

yes indeed she is... i remember watching that scene over and over again.

Fpoonsie
05-21-2010, 11:48 AM

Well, they're no calf tats, butcha can't blame Matisse or Picasso for tryin...