View Full Version : Coach Pop's Mailbag 5/2010

spursdotcom
05-20-2010, 03:28 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/pop_mailbag_1005.html

:toast

Mel_13
05-20-2010, 03:44 PM
I like what he had to say about the plan for Blair this summer:

We want him to work mostly on shooting. If he can get that mid-range jumper down with his foot speed and ability to drive the basketball it would make him a much more difficult cover. His shooting touch is going to be a real priority over the summer.

Not so happy about what he had to say about bringing Splitter over:

At this point we’re trying to figure out who we want to add to the team and those talks are going on right now, so we don’t know exactly what direction we’re going to take. Tiago Splitter obviously is somebody we drafted and still feel is a very good player. In fact he won an award for being the MVP of his league over there in Spain so he is high on our list, but we’re still not exactly sure at what point he is going to come over.

Bender
05-20-2010, 03:47 PM
I was gonna post the same thought, but I took the time to read the whole mailbag, so... beat again!!

I thought most of the questions were fairly whitewashed and generic... but the discussion about Blair's mid-range shot was nice...

Sisk
05-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Yeah, didn't see to be so confident about Splitter. Hopefully it's CIA Pop

Bruno
05-20-2010, 03:50 PM
Thanks.
And it's Tony Allen not Malik Allen. :lol

spursdotcom
05-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Thanks.

thats a good catch. thanks! :toast

Sisk
05-20-2010, 03:52 PM
Thanks.

I saw that too!

dbestpro
05-20-2010, 03:59 PM
So it seems the solution for next year is simple. We need to play better.

lurker23
05-20-2010, 04:01 PM
I like what he had to say about the plan for Blair this summer:

We want him to work mostly on shooting. If he can get that mid-range jumper down with his foot speed and ability to drive the basketball it would make him a much more difficult cover. His shooting touch is going to be a real priority over the summer.

Agreed, I really like that quote. It's nice to see that the Spurs organization has similar thinking to the fans at times.

Room for improvement
-Short to mid-range jumper: While Blair has shown minor flashes of being able to hit a 5-10 footer, it's not something we've seen consistently from him. As the next step in his offensive development, this needs to be a major focus for the big man. If he can even learn a steady 4-9 foot jumper, much less a 10-15 footer, he'll be extremely hard to stop. While this is far from the only thing Blair needs to work on, it's perhaps the most important one if he's going to go from role player to starter/star in this league. If you have to deal with Blair both under the rim AND 12 feet from the basket...watch out world, and good luck.

Solid D
05-20-2010, 04:13 PM
I didn't know Pop got cut his Soph. year. I also didn't know his favorite player was Hondo Havlicek. The closest thing to Havlicek in today's game is Ginobilli, except Manu has more flair.

Dex
05-20-2010, 05:34 PM
This season is not even over yet and I'm already ready for next season to begin.

Does not bode well for this offseason. :(

silverblk mystix
05-20-2010, 07:06 PM
...well, for me, the best thing about the interview---was that Pop knows that some people choked---(bonner,mason,=entire bench)

so I hope that means he will revamp the entire bench

Chubby_Love
05-20-2010, 07:39 PM
Pops wasn't afraid to admit when the Spurs were beat, but I know for a fact that the Spurs were out of gas in the second round. It didn't matter who had the better talent, it all mattered on who was still fresh, and who wasn't. The Mavs series was our series, but it sucked the life out of us. Still I know Pop will get this team together for next season.:flag:

Cane
05-20-2010, 08:23 PM
...well, for me, the best thing about the interview---was that Pop knows that some people choked---(bonner,mason,=entire bench)

so I hope that means he will revamp the entire bench

Agreed, the bench needs huge improvements.

Fabbs
05-20-2010, 10:44 PM
Dear Pop,

I saw a picture of you gardening today. Do all the amazing skills you possess to win 4 Championships translate into your gardening activities?

You sure are swell. I think you're the best.

taps
05-21-2010, 01:44 AM
Not so happy about what he (Pop) had to say about bringing Splitter over:

I agree with you and remain cynical about Splitter in general b/c of his track record with Spurs.

BUT,

During exit interviews RC said it would be inappropriate for the FO to openly speculate on Tiago's future until ACB championship is over. According to Bruno that is early or mid June and I expect Pop to be on the same page with RC on this subject. Still, I can't shake the feeling Pop worded that answer such that we can brace ourselves for the possibility of disappointment - but it was a neutral answer considering the history IMO

spurs10
05-21-2010, 02:40 AM
What was the deal about "We<3 Coach Pop!"??

namlook
05-21-2010, 04:30 AM
What was the deal about "We<3 Coach Pop!"??

<3 = love

fmedrano1977
05-21-2010, 05:01 AM
If Malik Rose was able to do it so can Blair.

elgato21
05-21-2010, 09:18 AM
Re: Coach Pop's Mailbag 5/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel_13

I agree with you and remain cynical about Splitter in general b/c of his track record with Spurs.

BUT,

During exit interviews RC said it would be inappropriate for the FO to openly speculate on Tiago's future until ACB championship is over. According to Bruno that is early or mid June and I expect Pop to be on the same page with RC on this subject. Still, I can't shake the feeling Pop worded that answer such that we can brace ourselves for the possibility of disappointment - but it was a neutral answer considering the history IMO

Pop is clever, he knows thats is a bidding war for Splitter.
he cannot guarantee something that isnt done...
smart FO!!

spurs10
05-21-2010, 03:46 PM
<3 = love
Thanks....didn't know!:downspin:

lefty
05-21-2010, 03:49 PM
CIA Pop

SenorSpur
05-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Re: Coach Pop's Mailbag 5/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel_13

BUT,

Pop is clever, he knows thats is a bidding war for Splitter.
he cannot guarantee something that isnt done...
smart FO!!

If the Spurs surprisingly go for a big in the NBA draft, whether one falls or not, we'll probably have our answer about Splitter.

Mel_13
05-21-2010, 07:29 PM
If the Spurs surprisingly go for a big in the NBA draft, whether one falls or not, we'll probably have our answer about Splitter.

The Spanish League playoffs will be over before the draft. Splitter has good reason not to announce a decision while his team is still playing, but we should know his intentions before June 24th. If we don't have a legit report that he's coming here by that date, we'll have to accept the reality that he's staying in Europe.

SenorSpur
05-21-2010, 07:37 PM
The Spanish League playoffs will be over before the draft. Splitter has good reason not to announce a decision while his team is still playing, but we should know his intentions before June 24th. If we don't have a legit report that he's coming here by that date, we'll have to accept the reality that he's staying in Europe.

At this point, nothing will surprise me about this guy.

Mel_13
05-21-2010, 07:43 PM
At this point, nothing will surprise me about this guy.

Agreed. The guy will have options. The future of the San Antonio Spurs will only become important to him after he signs with them. None of us know what factors carry the most weight for him, but the future of the Spurs has to be very low on that list.

Agloco
05-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Question: What would you like to continue from this 09/10 season into next one, and what would change?

GP: I just think that some people have to step up and play better. I think we need to prop up our bench. That is really something that has to be a priority. We have to have people who are coming off the bench that can contribute so that’s really what we’re looking at.

Red - Dicky J?

Blue - You get an instant lift on the bench by not bringing Bonner, Mason or Bogans back.

All of this is moot of course if the Spurs don't get a hold of a rotation big this offseason.