PDA

View Full Version : Spurs are still next door to #5

spurspokesman
05-20-2010, 03:38 PM
What's up spurs fans. Just want to grab your opinions. After this season I am still convinced the spurs are a few steps away from #5. Why?

We made the second round despite:
Lack of size and shotblocking upfront, RJ playing arguably the worst basketball of his career, Roger mason as well, injured tony parker, mcdyess inconsistencies,
In my personal opinion(not placing the loss solely on Rj) but if he plays one level better I say its us paying the lakers right now. We have a gem in hill and blair a good draft pick and maybe splitter coming down. Mason and bonner look to be heading out and I doubt tim plays this bad next season. If mason and rj gave us a nickel more picture our spurs. Despite the phx series I'm happy with the spurs season. We just need to get TIM help. The perimeter is fine despite what it looks. The problem is when the perimeter gets beat there's no one physically gifted (that gets playing time)in the paint to discourage shots. The spurs will continue to be a force in the west but won't get there if we don't address our true need. Having a youth on the perimeter 6'8 would be great but honestly if we just had a horse in the paint and a half better RJ we are still playing. We won't be this bad next season and will have the perfect combo with youth athleticism and veteran experience. The spurs are more game for #5 than a lot would thInk. AND HELL NO TO TRADING any of the big 3. They're still capable. We had offense this year and won games. We had no defense and didn't win a ring. What do you think?

jason1301
05-20-2010, 03:44 PM
As long as Hill and Blair continue to improve, we ll be OK, but like last summer -- we have lots of eggs but no chicken yet....

Solid D
05-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Replace Ian Mahinmi, Matt Bonner and Keith Bogans with Tiago Splitter, Channing Frye and Grant Hill and maybe...just maybe, the Spurs get closer to #5 .

temujin
05-20-2010, 04:49 PM
The past two playoffs have clearly shown that Duncun cannot play >30' for 90 games. The knee problem could only get worse.

There is a limit to what you can do in basketball without jumping, even if you have great fundamentals.

Next year, he will not be able to be very productive unless he is down to 25' pg.

Unless the Spurs can find two very productive bigs (and Blair is not a big), THE RUN IS OVER.

No matter who else they bring in.

jason1301
05-20-2010, 04:51 PM
I wouldn't be that pessimistic, it was pretty much Timmy, Manu and a little bit of Tony playing out there. I still feel good about our chances.

cantthinkofanything
05-20-2010, 04:53 PM
Most of the teams in the league are only a few steps away from being a contender.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Robert Horry and Udoka got a place by the AT&T Center?

MaNu4Tres
05-20-2010, 04:54 PM
The past two playoffs have clearly shown that Duncun cannot play >30' for 90 games. The knee problem could only get worse.

There is a limit to what you can do in basketball without jumping, even if you have great fundamentals.

Next year, he will not be able to be very productive unless he is down to 25' pg.

Unless the Spurs can find two very productive bigs (and Blair is not a big), THE RUN IS OVER.

No matter who else they bring in.

Duncan will be fine playing 28-30 mpg as long as it isn't a back to back during the regular season.

What can't happen again is the 38-41 minute games he was playing every other night in the playoffs. We need a stronger bench and stronger pieces around him that can give him more rest in these games to stay effectively efficient. Hopefully our young guys can improve and Splitter is brought over to help this situation.

8FOR!3
05-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Replace Ian Mahinmi, Matt Bonner and Keith Bogans with Tiago Splitter, Channing Frye and Grant Hill and maybe...just maybe, the Spurs get closer to #5 .

lol, you're using your MLE on Tiago Splitter, that makes sense, that's fine. How do you end up with Channing Frye and Grant Hill? Mahinmi, Bonner, and Bogans for Frye and Hill? Yeah, somethin tells me Phoenix isn't going for that.

blkroadrunners
05-20-2010, 05:06 PM

Eh, Frye's softer than Bonner.

Solid D
05-20-2010, 05:07 PM
lol, you're using your MLE on Tiago Splitter, that makes sense, that's fine. How do you end up with Channing Frye and Grant Hill? Mahinmi, Bonner, and Bogans for Frye and Hill? Yeah, somethin tells me Phoenix isn't going for that.

Well, it's not at all likely, of course, but I believe Channing and Grant are both Player-Option Free Agents.

Chubby_Love
05-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Our Spurs can still get that number 5. Just as long as Bonner, Bogans, Mason are gone, and Jefferson decides to opt out. One more big man, and a jump shooter will put this team right back into its rightful place. I know my Spurs will get that 5th title before the curtain comes down on The Duncan Era.

peskypesky
05-20-2010, 09:39 PM
sorry, peeps. not a chance in hell we get a 5th. the window closed. and now it's locked. Empires rise and empires fall....

Manu20
05-20-2010, 09:44 PM
Shell is on the bandwagon! :toast

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h62/cantu5977/gasoline_crd.jpg

peskypesky
05-20-2010, 09:45 PM
Most of the teams in the league are only a few steps away from being a contender.

:lmao

Josepatches_
05-21-2010, 10:22 AM
sorry, peeps. not a chance in hell we get a 5th. the window closed. and now it's locked. Empires rise and empires fall....

This.

You have to accept it.Without big changes our tittle chances are gone.