PDA

View Full Version : Support Austin's boycott of Arizona

DarrinS
05-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Pathetic.

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/05/20/obama-organizers-attempt-to-rescue-austin-tx-with-astroturf-campaign/

http://media.hotair.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/ofa-austin2.jpg

Last week, the city council of Austin, Texas passed a resolution to boycott Arizona over its new immigration-enforcement law. For those who don’t know much about Texas politics, Austin is as liberal as the rest of the state is conservative. However, in an embarrassing display of just how marginalized the Austin liberals have become, the local newspaper has run 20 letters from readers regarding the council’s boycott — all of them opposed to it.

While the Austin city council has likely not read the bill — and neither has the White House — Barack Obama’s political organizing group has decided to take action to defend Austin’s boycott. Will they actually read the bill? Are they scheduling protests? Not exactly. In an e-mail from Organizing for America that went out last night (and provided to us by a reader), OfA announces an Astroturf campaign to flood the newspaper with letters supporting the boycott:

Wow! Who knew community organizers could be this irrelevant? The Left has seized on letters to the editor just a few years after blogs superceded them for grassroots communication. Further, the message OfA sends is one of desperation. In a town as reliably liberal as Austin, wouldn’t one assume that a few would stand up for the city council — if their action was at all defensible? The fact that no one seems willing to fight for this silly boycott makes it clear just how important it is to the Statesman’s readers.

They’re practically marching themselves into irrelevance at OfA. For that matter, so is the Austin city council. Don’t they have anything better to do?

DMX7
05-20-2010, 03:46 PM
Do you have your Google News Alerts set to "irrelevant"?

George Gervin's Afro
05-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Good for Austin

ChumpDumper
05-20-2010, 03:48 PM
Don’t they have anything better to do?:lol

Drachen
05-20-2010, 03:57 PM
I am glad, stupid boycott.

clambake
05-20-2010, 03:58 PM
i heard mexicans are to blame for this.

DarrinS
05-20-2010, 04:01 PM
When leftists come up with brilliant ideas like boycotting Whole Foods, do they realize they are hurting people that are probably on their same side, ideologically?

jack sommerset
05-20-2010, 04:03 PM
I blame Matthew Mcconaughey therefore I am boycotting him.

DMX7
05-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Lance Armstrong is behind this, I know it.

Sisk
05-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Seriously? This is so pathetic.

koriwhat
05-20-2010, 04:06 PM
fuck austin! and fuck arizona too while we're at it!

TeyshaBlue
05-20-2010, 04:09 PM
lol. Dallas passed on the boycott. Mayor figures we've got bigger fish to fry locally.

rjv
05-20-2010, 04:13 PM
When leftists come up with brilliant ideas like boycotting Whole Foods, do they realize they are hurting people that are probably on their same side, ideologically?

let me see if i get this right.

all leftists are the same.
boycotting whole foods is leftist agenda.
whole foods is leftist.

thus: leftists are boycotting themselves when they boycott whole foods.

that would be a pretty sound conclusion if not for one fundamental flaw: none of the premises are valid.

DarrinS
05-20-2010, 04:15 PM
A Matter of Austin's Character (wtf?)
------------------------------------

20 letters against the City of Austin's boycott of Arizona were published today. None in support. :lmao

Write a brief letter to the Statesman to show community support for our City Council's vote.

(my favorite part)
Here's a brief outline of President Obama's stance. (so you'll know what stance YOU should take)

DarrinS
05-20-2010, 04:17 PM
let me see if i get this right.

all leftists are the same.
boycotting whole foods is leftist agenda.
whole foods is leftist.

thus: leftists are boycotting themselves when they boycott whole foods.

that would be a pretty sound conclusion if not for one fundamental flaw: none of the premises are valid.

You dumb fuck. Do you think there are ANY Democrats in Arizona or that work at Whole Foods that might be negatively affected by a boycott?

clambake
05-20-2010, 04:19 PM
You dumb fuck. Do you think there are ANY Democrats in Arizona or that work at Whole Foods that might be negatively affected by a boycott?

do you think they get any products from arizona?

Sisk
05-20-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm just upset that Austin will be getting some of my tax dollars tonight..

rjv
05-20-2010, 04:27 PM

so let me get this straight..you think austin is going to boycott whole foods market? that's very interesting considering that whole foods corporate headquarters is based in austin !

DarrinS
05-20-2010, 04:38 PM
so let me get this straight..you think austin is going to boycott whole foods market? that's very interesting considering that whole foods corporate headquarters is based in austin !

Are you retarded?

Blake
05-20-2010, 04:40 PM

maybe the Austin Whole Foods office will boycott the Arizona Whole Food office.

rjv
05-20-2010, 04:46 PM
Are you retarded?

you first threw up some vague assertion that lefists are going to boycott whole foods and in the process hurt other leftists, which you then later went on to define as being democrats. so you have stated that austin is leftist and that they are boycotting whole foods, even though all their boycott has stated is that they will restrict travel to arizona as well as business with arizona based businesses. how is a corporation that is based in austin an arizona based business?

also, "council member Bill Spelman, a co-sponsor of the resolution, says this will not mean "a dramatic shift in the city's policies."
City Controller Diana Thomas says Austin has no contracts with nor investments in the state of Arizona. Also, 48 city employees took 20 business trips to Arizona over the past year at a cost of $47,908 "
(http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/7004374.html)

how does any of your hyperbole, generalizing and false statments amount to a boycott of whole foods grocery stores in arizona?

rjv
05-20-2010, 04:49 PM
maybe the Austin Whole Foods office will boycott the Arizona Whole Food office.

:lol...or maybe he thinks there is an austin, arizona.

DarrinS
05-20-2010, 05:13 PM
you first threw up some vague assertion that lefists are going to boycott whole foods and in the process hurt other leftists, which you then later went on to define as being democrats. so you have stated that austin is leftist and that they are boycotting whole foods, even though all their boycott has stated is that they will restrict travel to arizona as well as business with arizona based businesses. how is a corporation that is based in austin an arizona based business?

also, "council member Bill Spelman, a co-sponsor of the resolution, says this will not mean "a dramatic shift in the city's policies."
City Controller Diana Thomas says Austin has no contracts with nor investments in the state of Arizona. Also, 48 city employees took 20 business trips to Arizona over the past year at a cost of $47,908 "
(http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/7004374.html)

how does any of your hyperbole, generalizing and false statments amount to a boycott of whole foods grocery stores in arizona?

Do you not remember people boycotting Whole Foods because their CEO, John Mackey, wrote a WSJ op-ed criticizing Obamacare? I realize it has nothing to do with Arizona.

Again, are you retarded?

rjv
05-20-2010, 06:37 PM
Do you not remember people boycotting Whole Foods because their CEO, John Mackey, wrote a WSJ op-ed criticizing Obamacare? I realize it has nothing to do with Arizona.

Again, are you retarded?

so now we are back to your original completely unsound syllogism. which now has nothing to do with arizona but which you decided to post in a thread that you posted specifically about the boycott of arizona.

so as far as i can tell the only thing 'retarded' about any of this are your overblown implications about the boycott as well as your arguments.

ChumpDumper
05-20-2010, 06:41 PM
So you have now spent more time arguing about this than the council took to decide this.

Don't you have anything better to do?

EmptyMan
05-20-2010, 07:47 PM
Don't you have anything better to do?

like ask if he has anything better to do?

Sec24Row7
05-25-2010, 03:48 PM
I fail to see how it violates someone's civil rights to have to provide proof of citizenship...

Weakest fucking argument EVER...

Winehole23
05-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Are you prepared to render proof of your US citizenship anytime authorities ask for it?

One clear, unintended consequence of this law is that US citizens will be harassed. Those so questioned who for some reason lack the requisite proof may be deported in error.

Sec24Row7
05-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Are you prepared to render proof of your US citizenship anytime authorities ask for it?

One clear, unintended consequence of this law is that US citizens will be harassed. Those so questioned who for some reason lack the requisite proof may be deported in error.

I have to give them my DL, concealed carry and insurance already... what the fuck is the problem with giving them proof of citizenship too?

Hell no i don't have a problem with it... they can probably add it to my drivers license...