PDA

View Full Version : Did Cuban Commit Tampering?

Chubby_Love
05-21-2010, 02:49 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=5205952

Cuban goes public with quest for James

By Jeff Caplan
ESPNDallas.com

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has gone public with his quest to acquire LeBron James.

In an interview this week posted on CNNMoney.com, Cuban expressed his interest in James as a free agent and said that the NBA star needs to play in a place where he trusts the organization.

If James does not reach an agreement with the Cavaliers by July 1, he would become an unrestricted free agent.

"Come July 1st, yeah, of course, anybody would be interested in LeBron James, and if he leaves via free agency, then it's going to be tough," Cuban said. "If he does like I'm guessing, hoping he will, which is say, 'I'm not going to leave the Cavs high and dry,' if he decides to leave -- there's still a better chance he stays -- then he'll try to force a sign-and-trade, and that gives us a chance."

Cuban's comments could fall under the NBA's tampering rules. In 2008, the league sent a memo to the 30 NBA teams detailing specific guidelines when discussing potential free agents with the media.

The memo read: "If a member of your organization is asked by the media about a potential free agent prior to the July 1 following the last season covered by the player's contract, or about any other person under contract with another NBA team, the only proper response is to decline comment."

Penalties outlined in the memo could include suspension, prohibition of the offending team from hiring the person being tampered with, forfeiture of draft picks and individual and/or team fines of up to $5 million.

Asked if he believes James will stay in Cleveland or sign with New York or elsewhere, Cuban said:

"I don't know, don't know. What I do know about LeBron in the minimal time I've spent talking to him is he just wants to win. Money's not his issue. He needs to be some place where he trusts the organization. And look, [owner] Dan Gilbert in Cleveland did everything he possibly could, that's just the way the game works. If there was a template that we all could follow, we'd all have championship rings."

Dallas' interest in pursuing a sign-and-trade deal for James has been the subject of speculation for months, but Cuban's comments are believed to be his first public acknowledgment of that plan.

NBA spokesperson Tim Frank said Thursday that the league is looking into Cuban's comments. Cuban did not immediately respond to a request for comment

21_Blessings
05-21-2010, 02:52 AM
If there was a template that we all could follow, we'd all have championship rings."

And that template would be Jerry Buss. A better owner than you'll ever be, Cubes.

Greg Oden
05-21-2010, 02:53 AM
And that template would be Jerry Buss. A better owner than you'll ever be, Cubes.

"Somehow, someway, this thread will be about the Lakers!"

21_Blessings
05-21-2010, 03:00 AM
" this thread will be about the Lakers!"

Nobody else matters right now.

Chubby_Love
05-21-2010, 03:02 AM
Nobody else matters right now. This thread isn't about The Lakers right now. It's about a bumbling idiot of an owner who's about to cost his team alot because he thinks Lebron wants so desperately wants to play for The Mavericks.

21_Blessings
05-21-2010, 03:06 AM
I know Cuban is an idiot. All he has to do is emulate the most proven, successful owner in the game Jerry Buss to finally understand how not to fail year after year.

Chubby_Love
05-21-2010, 03:09 AM
I know Cuban is an idiot. All he has to do is emulate the most proven, successful owner in the game Jerry Buss to finally understand how not to fail year after year.
I gotta give credit where credit is due. Jerry Buss has done alot, and has put out a winning product, but Cuban is obsessed with The Spurs, and trying to outthink, and outsmart Peter Holt. It hasn't worked because they have nothing to show for it, and his desperation for Lebron is making him look more pathetic. I hope The Mavs will be the losers in the end, that way all Mavs fans can shut the fuck up, and live with the fact that Dirk is the man.

21_Dickings
05-21-2010, 03:10 AM
Nobody else matters right now.

Get off that laptop downstairs and come to bed. It's late and we have to be at Marty and Rick's for brunch and champagne by 9:00. You know how they hate fashionably late entrances.

Oh and for those wondering. Marty and Rick are good friends of ours. Once each month, we meet them for brunch at 9:00, then depending on the weather, take a swim or a steam from 10:00 till noon, then have an orgy from noon till 6.

They're good people, Marty and Rick. Some of Tarzana's finest.

sefant77
05-21-2010, 05:32 AM

lol retard

pauls931
05-21-2010, 07:11 AM

Unfortunatetly, I think cuban will have to give up something other than Jason Terry and some picks for LBJ.

easy7
05-21-2010, 07:16 AM
Straight trade Dirk for Lebron

pauls931
05-21-2010, 07:28 AM
Straight trade Dirk for Lebron

I think LBJ wants to go where he can find his 'Gasol'. Who out there would match this criteria? I don't see him functioning on a team with a real point guard. He's more the type that would fit in the mystical triangle* where you have your star handle the ball and everyone else stay out of the way.

*Yes, I think the triangle is a gimmick that oddly enough only works when you have the best players in the league on your team.

Bob Lanier
05-21-2010, 07:30 AM
Just like "playing defense" is a gimmick that only works when you've got the best players in the league on your team, right?

pauls931
05-21-2010, 07:36 AM
Just like "playing defense" is a gimmick that only works when you've got the best players in the league on your team, right?

Yes, look at the Pistons....

tdunk21
05-21-2010, 07:46 AM

any thread comes up regardless of the topic...this clown has to post something about the lakers.....like someone said...y do u post when no one pays attention to u.....:lmao:lmao

21_Blessings
05-21-2010, 08:17 AM
...y do u post when no one pays attention to u.....:lmao:lmao

Yet I was quoted like 7 times in this thread. :lmao

sefant77
05-21-2010, 09:30 AM

lol retard

sefant77
05-21-2010, 09:32 AM
Unfortunatetly, I think cuban will have to give up something other than Jason Terry and some picks for LBJ.

Damp+ Roddy+pick
Butler+Stevenson+pick

It doesnt need more if James plays his cards right. If he does the Cavs are fucked anyway and will choose the smaller "worst case"

duncan228
05-21-2010, 12:15 PM
NBA probing Cuban's statements regarding interest in LeBron (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/nba/05/21/cuban.lebron/index.html)
By SI.com Staff

The NBA is reviewing comments Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban made about LeBron James that could fall under the league's anti-tampering rules.

In an interview with CNNMoney.com this week, Cuban said his Mavericks would be interested in pursuing the two-time MVP should he become a free agent on July 1.

"Come July 1, yeah, of course. Anybody would be interested in LeBron James, and if he leaves via free agency, then it's going to be tough," Cuban said in the interview. "If he does like I'm guessing, hoping he will, which is say, 'I'm not going to leave the Cavs high and dry,' if he decides to leave -- there's still a better chance he stays -- then he'll try to force a sign-and-trade, and that gives us a chance. ... What I do know about LeBron in the minimal time I've spent talking to him is he just wants to win. Money's not his issue. He needs to be someplace where he trusts the organization."

Though Cuban's interest in James is not surprising, his statements may have violated the NBA's anti-tampering policy, which was detailed in a memo to all 30 teams in 2008:

"If a member of your organization is asked by the media about a potential free agent prior to the July 1 following the last season covered by the player's contract, or about any other person under contract with another NBA team, the only proper response is to decline comment."

If the league finds that Cuban crossed the line, it could impose penalties ranging from a fine of up to $5 million to the loss of draft picks to prohibiting the Mavs from bidding on James.

Asked whether his remarks could be considered tampering, Cuban told ESPNDallas.com in an e-mail: "No. It's not tampering. Not even close. Nice try."

sefant77
05-21-2010, 12:45 PM
A fine would be ridiculous, but also typical for that kindergarden NBA.

Its freaking James, of course everyone want him and everyone will look to sign or S&T him. Or next time he should just say "of course we are interested in HIM/you know who i mean"? Thats ok then by the rules? lol

Everybody knew who Mikhail meant mainly with "Gonna meet and talk to free agents".

But Cuban said the forbidden word "Lebron" so lets investigate? :rolleyes

Seriously? Kindergarden....

GuerillaBlack
05-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Damp+ Roddy+pick
Butler+Stevenson+pick

It doesnt need more if James plays his cards right. If he does the Cavs are fucked anyway and will choose the smaller "worst case"

Add in Terry and take out Stevenson. Cleveland would probably want to send back a bad contract, too.

tdunk21
05-21-2010, 01:05 PM

coz evryone thinks u r tard....

CubanMustGo
05-21-2010, 01:42 PM

Its freaking James, of course everyone want him and everyone will look to sign or S&T him. Or next time he should just say "of course we are interested in HIM/you know who i mean"? Thats ok then by the rules? lol

Everybody knew who Mikhail meant mainly with "Gonna meet and talk to free agents".

"If a member of your organization is asked by the media about a potential free agent prior to the July 1 following the last season covered by the player's contract, or about any other person under contract with another NBA team, the only proper response is to decline comment."

Yes, a kindergarten (note the proper spelling) education seems simple enough to understand that rule.

Amarelooms
05-21-2010, 01:44 PM
LOL I love it....everyone is so nervous that the Mavs could pull this off.....best be scared bitches

:elephant

monosylab1k
05-21-2010, 01:46 PM
There's no possible defense of what Cuban did. It was absolutely tampering according to the rule. He pays the fine, and he also gets the media coverage he wanted.

I still say Cuban can't get LeBron interested in Dallas on his own. Jerry Jones has to get involved. Nobody can sell Dallas to LeBron like Jerry can.

djohn2oo8
05-21-2010, 01:46 PM
LOL I love it....everyone is so nervous that the Mavs could pull this off.....best be scared bitches

:elephant

Paranoid and Delusional, you on that PCP son?

Ghazi
05-21-2010, 01:50 PM
<-----------

GuerillaBlack
05-21-2010, 01:53 PM

Look at what you just posted. There is a big difference in what was said by Mikhail and Cuban (when going by NBA rules).

ffadicted
05-21-2010, 01:59 PM
Do Dallas fans honestly think they can get Lebron with Dampier + Scrub + Pick. Do you honestly think you're the only team in the west/league that can come up with a sign and trade deal, thus they HAVE to take whatever you want to give them? LMAO

Oh my god fucking dumbasses, I can't even understand how a human being can have such low thinking potential. Unless ya'll are trolling me, in which case congrats, you got me

Ghazi
05-21-2010, 02:00 PM
DUST chip, nigga.

djohn2oo8
05-21-2010, 02:02 PM
DUST chip, nigga.

Sup, $250?

monosylab1k
05-21-2010, 02:03 PM
Do Dallas fans honestly think they can get Lebron with Dampier + Scrub + Pick. Do you honestly think you're the only team in the west/league that can come up with a sign and trade deal, thus they HAVE to take whatever you want to give them? LMAO

Oh my god fucking dumbasses, I can't even understand how a human being can have such low thinking potential. Unless ya'll are trolling me, in which case congrats, you got me

Do some research on Dampier's contract and how valuable it is as a trade chip. It will be used to get a quality player in Dallas. If not LeBron then somebody else. You fucking dumbass.

djohn2oo8
05-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Do some research on Dampier's contract and how valuable it is as a trade chip. It will be used to get a quality player in Dallas. If not LeBron then somebody else. You fucking dumbass.

Like another Shawn Marion? :lmao

sefant77
05-21-2010, 02:07 PM

hahahaha, what a selfown you clown.

So what other western teams send back? "Real" expirings and picks? Thast means Cavs have to pay 15 mio + potential LT more than with the dustchip.

Talent? Like Kevin Martin and Ariza? Great for Cleveland, but guess what, James will reject such a trade where he goes in a S&T where his new team loses value assets. He want a stacked team and not one that is crippled through his S&T.

So who is the dumbass?

Its still up to James but not realizing how AWSOME the dust is and what huge leverage it is for the "James want Mavs" case.

monosylab1k
05-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Like another Shawn Marion? :lmao

rest assured whoever it is, he won't suck as much ass as Trevor Ariza :lmao

ffadicted
05-21-2010, 02:09 PM

lol dumbass. They'll get salary relief anyway if lebron leaves, why the fuck would cleveland/anyone want any part of sending their hero away just for a scrub and a draft pick.

You're gonna need a lot more then fucking roddy, stevenson and a late draft pick added into it to get anything, wake the fuck up

djohn2oo8
05-21-2010, 02:10 PM
rest assured whoever it is, he won't suck as much ass as Trevor Ariza :lmao

lol jj barea over Beaubois

Originally Posted by Kori Ellis http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/Style_Templates/nba/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4363512#post4363512)
That's just how Mavs' fans roll.

When the Spurs eliminated them (... I take that back... it was after Game 3)... three or four of the "Mav Krew" were crying to me on Skype/IM with quotes like...

"You don't understand...it's over. Another wasted year." :cry :cry :cry
"The series is over. We see the writing on the wall. There's no chance the Mavs can come back." :cry :cry :cry
"I'm never posting on SpursTalk again :cry :cry :cry Actually I'm never watching the NBA again. :cry :cry :cry"
"You don't understand. I can't continue to pour my heart and soul into this team to watch them fold in the postseason. :cry :cry :cry"

Of course, they are still watching the NBA and posting on SpursTalk... and to try to make themselves feel better, they crap all over the NBA forum night and day, day and night.

It's the Dallas way :tu

sefant77
05-21-2010, 02:11 PM
lol dumbass. They'll get salary relief anyway if lebron leaves, why the fuck would cleveland/anyone want any part of sending their hero away just for a scrub and a draft pick.

You're gonna need a lot more then fucking roddy, stevenson and a draft pick added into it to get anything, wake the fuck up

TO CONTROL HIS FUCKING DESTINY (West) and get at least something back than nothing you moron.

James leaves as FA to the Bulls or Nets, Roddy becomes a nice 16PPG player and James kicks the ass of the Cavs the next 6 years in his new eastern conference team. And everyone would laugh their asses off...

God just accept some facts and scenarios...

4>0rings
05-21-2010, 02:16 PM
That's just how Mavs' fans roll.

When the Spurs eliminated them (... I take that back... it was after Game 3)... three or four of the "Mav Krew" were crying to me on Skype/IM with quotes like...

"You don't understand...it's over. Another wasted year." :cry :cry :cry
"The series is over. We see the writing on the wall. There's no chance the Mavs can come back." :cry :cry :cry
"I'm never posting on SpursTalk again :cry :cry :cry Actually I'm never watching the NBA again. :cry :cry :cry"
"You don't understand. I can't continue to pour my heart and soul into this team to watch them fold in the postseason. :cry :cry :cry"

Of course, they are still watching the NBA and posting on SpursTalk... and to try to make themselves feel better, they crap all over the NBA forum night and day, day and night.

It's the Dallas way :tu

sefant77
05-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Look at what you just posted. There is a big difference in what was said by Mikhail and Cuban (when going by NBA rules).

Of course there is.

But at the end everyone knows. I know there is a good reason for this tampering rule, but this summer its kind of really useless because everyone knows whats going on in EVERYS GM head..

ffadicted
05-21-2010, 02:20 PM
TO CONTROL HIS FUCKING DESTINY (West) and get at least something back than nothing you moron.

James leaves as FA to the Bulls or Nets, Roddy becomes a nice 16PPG player and James kicks the ass of the Cavs the next 6 years in his new eastern conference team. And everyone would laugh their asses off...

You are so blind it actually makes me a bit sad. I'll let you keep believing though, stay strong. I'll entertain talks that include players like Iguodala, Johnson and maybe even bosh, along with a combo of players like Terry, Butler, Roddy, picks and dust chip.

just gtfo with shit involving Lebron and Roddy/Stevenson+pick+d.chip lol

sefant77
05-21-2010, 02:23 PM
You are so blind it actually makes me a bit sad. I'll let you keep believing though, stay strong. I'll entertain talks that include players like Iguodala, Johnson and maybe even bosh, along with a combo of players like Terry, Butler, Roddy, picks and dust chip.

You still have no fucking clue about clevelands "options" in their worst case...

You are really dumb....

Basketballgirl25
Of course there is.

But at the end everyone knows. I know there is a good reason for this tampering rule, but this summer its kind of really useless because everyone knows whats going on in EVERYS GM head..

Well if everyone knows what going on in EVERY GM head, then why name anynames this summer, they prob are all thinking the same thing anyway, so no need for anyone to name the player

Lukor

You're gonna need a lot more then fucking roddy, stevenson and a late draft pick added into it to get anything, wake the fuck up

You don't understand the DUST chip.Teams can dump bad contracts on the Mavs and get INSTANT salary relief. Not expiring,INSTANT.
It probably won't get a Lebron, but there's a very good chance the Mavs will land a good player with its help. Nobody in the league has an instant expiring of that size.
For example the Mavs could absorb Elton Brand's contract and take Iguodala off the sixers hands without trading away real talent. The sixers would probably be all over that. There are so many scenarios where the DUST chip can be useful it's not even funny...

greensborohill
05-21-2010, 02:25 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_hSAR4GFIOfM/SNxO9yWss5I/AAAAAAAAAFo/VCANntiCDsY/s1600/jaime.jpg

ffadicted
05-21-2010, 02:26 PM
You don't understand the DUST chip.Teams can dump bad contracts on the Mavs and get INSTANT salary relief. Not expiring,INSTANT.
It probably won't get a Lebron, but there's a very good chance the Mavs will land a good player with its help. Nobody in the league has an instant expiring of that size.
For example the Mavs could absorb Elton Brand's contract and take Iguodala off the sixers hands without trading away real talent. The sixers would probably be all over that. There are so many scenarios where the DUST chip can be useful it's not even funny...

lol there's no way to frequent this forum and NOT know all about the dust chip. I know what it is, I get that it's really valuable, but its value greatly decreases when you're talking about getting a contract that is ALREADY expiring regardless with it. The scenario with iggy and brand is a good example of its potential... getting Lebron/DWade/Bosh for dust chip + roddy is not at all lol

greensborohill
05-21-2010, 02:27 PM

http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=3040

http://img40.imagevenue.com/aAfkjfp01fo1i-7930/loc1089/99060_jai00174_123_1089lo.jpg

sefant77
05-21-2010, 02:32 PM
lol there's no way to frequent this forum and NOT know all about the dust chip. I know what it is, I get that it's really valuable, but its value greatly decreases when you're talking about getting a contract that is ALREADY expiring regardless with it. The scenario with iggy and brand is a good example of its potential... getting Lebron/DWade/Bosh for dust chip + roddy is not at all lol

Of course it is.

All it need is one if this guys saying "yeah, let me play with Dirk/Kidd/Marion/Haywood" and thats it.

Its not Mavs fans pushing "James will come here blabla", its just the fact it just need one of these guys wanting to play in Dallas.

All their old teams are in the east, all the max cap teams are in the east, so none of their GMs would be so stupid or proud to let them just go to another east team instead of shipping him west with picks and Roddy.

Now understandable for little retards?

If one of the guys want Dallas, the Dustchip works fine and the old team can pick their poison and will pick the smaller one and that is always Dallas.And it doesnt work with other teams because they dont have the dust. Either Cavs will decline just to get back crap and 15mio real expirings or James will decline the S&T because his new team has to send too much quality back to cleveland

:rolleyes

ffadicted
05-21-2010, 02:34 PM
http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=3040

http://media.photobucket.com/image/jaime%20koeppe/ChopsRock/Hot%20Babes%203/1253766739586.jpg

Already read it before. Trust me when I say as businessmen, the cavs front office will want no part in sending lebron away for low draft picks and an unproven rookie/scrub.

Bump this thread if/when I'm proven wrong

GuerillaBlack
05-21-2010, 02:35 PM

You better hold onto Roddy because the Mavs are about to freefall son. What an old (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/teams/roster?team=dal&sort=null) team.

djohn2oo8
05-21-2010, 02:36 PM
You better hold onto Roddy because the Mavs are about to freefall son. What an old (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/teams/roster?team=dal&sort=null) team.

They aren't that old, I mean they have the second best PG in the league

sefant77
05-21-2010, 02:38 PM

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2007.html

greensborohill
05-21-2010, 02:38 PM
http://img168.imagevenue.com/aAfkjfp01fo1i-29661/loc822/43215_JK_Various_Bikinis_08_123_822lo.jpg

lefty
05-21-2010, 02:58 PM
Cuban doesn't give a damn about Cuban.

He just wants to ge close to Lebron's mom

GuerillaBlack
05-21-2010, 03:00 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2007.html

What does this prove? I'm pretty sure the average age of San Antonio back then wasn't over 30 like the Mavs are now. Hell, Duncan was just turning 30 and Manu wasn't even 30 yet.

sefant77
05-21-2010, 03:08 PM
What does this prove? I'm pretty sure the average age of San Antonio back then wasn't over 30 like the Mavs are now. Hell, Duncan was just turning 30 and Manu wasn't even 30 yet.

Mavs arent that old. Dirk is 31, has proven incredible durability, never injuried and his game will age slowly. Thats 3 years more prime.

Butler, Haywood are 30. Marion 31, Terry 32 but his time and impact should be cut anyway.

Kidd declined allready and should keep his actual level 2-3 years more (run the fastbreak, deliver the ball in the right moment where it should be and hit the open three).

So Mavs have with James a pretty nice 3 years window...at least (who knows further trades).

TampaDude
05-21-2010, 04:36 PM
LOL Mavs fail...

Ghazi
05-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Are people still tossing around age?

Celtics are really old this year... 4 of their top 6 guys are what, between 32-34 years old?

sefant77
05-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Twitter

For those of you who care about these things. NBA just fined me 100k for comments regarding another teams' players.

+100k donation, at least something good

sefant77
05-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Gms need a nickname for him, that gonna be fun

"HIM"

"Dontsayhisname"

That would be funny interviews...

Roddy Beaubois
05-23-2010, 07:39 PM
http://espn.go.com/dallas/video/clip?id=5210724&categoryid=4492070

Mavs now being discussed as a "major player" for Lebron if Cavs want to do sign and trade.
:tu CIA cuban got what he paid for.

Ghazi
05-23-2010, 08:04 PM
CIA Cuban :tu

Roddy Beaubois
05-23-2010, 08:59 PM
Damn ESPN is all over our LebrontoMav nuts right about now.

check the poll:

Assuming the cores remained the same, who would be the favorites in the west next year?

Lebrons Mavs: 65%
Lakers: 35%

Mavs_man_41
05-23-2010, 09:39 PM
we staaaaaaaaaaaaacked :danceclub