PDA

View Full Version : Gentry: "Kobe is not a guy who has ever tanked anything"

21_Blessings
05-21-2010, 08:48 AM
He's right.

Unfounded stigma still following Bryant (http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/columns/story?id=5195953)

The Suns won the game 121-90. But they didn't win because Bryant took just three shots in the second half.

The Lakers, as a team, shot poorly and were routinely beaten by the Suns' pick-and-roll sets on offense.

L.A. decided to switch on the screens, leaving Nash free to shoot over big men who didn't close out fast enough to harrass his shots. Marion, Thomas and Boris Diaw were free to either shoot over smaller Lakers guards or roll all the way to the rim. When the Lakers did close out fast enough, they often over-pursued, leaving Nash and Barbosa opportunities to use their quick first steps to blow by unbalanced defenders. There was even one possession in the third quarter in which Parker was picked and George stayed with Diaw instead of switching, leaving Nash wide open as he traipsed in for a layup.

Lost in the "Kobe tanked" narrative was the fact that Barbosa and the Suns' bench outscored the Lakers' reserves 50-21. And obscured by the idea that Kobe didn't do enough to help his team win was the fact that the Suns shot 61 percent from the field, while no Lakers player (other than Bryant, who finished 8-for-16) shot 50 percent or better.

Current Phoenix head coach Alvin Gentry was a Suns assistant at the time. He was asked about Bryant's Game 7 before the start of Game 1 of the Western Conference finals Monday.

"Kobe is not a guy who has ever tanked anything," Gentry said, providing a view from the other side. "I don't see him as doing that. We played a great game that night and were able to win. I don't see him as a guy who would ever go there. … I would never use the word 'tank' and 'Kobe' in the same sentence."

Kobe's night, his tendency to pass the ball and to not force shots on offense, might have been the headline coming out of Game 7, and ever since.

But don't mistake it for the story.

djohn2oo8
05-21-2010, 08:50 AM
lol damage control, Alvin

da_suns_fan
05-21-2010, 08:52 AM
lol damage control, Alvin

Awesome reading comprehension. He said it before game 1.

And Kobe tanked. Quit. Mailed it in, etc.

Heres hoping he does it again. :toast

21_Blessings
05-21-2010, 08:58 AM
And Kobe tanked. Quit. Mailed it in, etc.

"Lots of people who were critical of me didn't even watch the game," Bryant told Bill Plaschke of the Los Angeles Times this past weekend.

JamStone
05-21-2010, 09:03 AM
I watched that game.

Looked like he tanked it to me.

Bob Lanier
05-21-2010, 09:05 AM
I watched that game.

Giuseppe
05-21-2010, 10:07 AM
I watched that game.

True.

Just like Rodman tanked in the playoffs for the Spurs.

Just like Nash tanked for many, many games for the Suns last season in order to get Porter fired. Inadvertently it got Raja Bell fired as well. Thank, Christ.

Just wanted to make sure all assholes are checked.

Let us proceed...

tlongII
05-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Kobe was showing up his team. I'm not sure that's the same thing as tanking, but he did have a purpose in his actions (or inactions).

TheMACHINE
05-21-2010, 10:20 AM
i almost forgot that Kobe took practically 16 shots for 50% shooting before halftime of that game and was still losing by alot.

Giuseppe
05-21-2010, 10:20 AM
Kobe was showing up his team. I'm not sure that's the same thing as tanking, but he did have a purpose in his actions (or inactions).

Horseshit, t! He quit. He was wrong, not once, but, twice. Once for quitting, and once for not taking responsibility for the act. In the interim he'd confirmed he'd learned nothing from Colorado.

Believe me if he thought he could ring with "his team" he'd a never quit. But, Bryant had nothing tangible to lose by quitting. He was worldly enough to realize he couldn't ring with Brown, Walton and Parker so he figured this was his way to shit where he ate and strike a blow to Buss. But that lie he committed in Game 7 haunts him now years later as he's forced to heap another lie (this silly rationalization) upon it.

TheManFromAcme
05-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Horseshit, t! He quit. He was wrong, not once, but, twice. Once for quitting, and once for not taking responsibility for the act. In the interim he'd confirmed he'd learned nothing from Colorado.

Believe me if he thought he could ring with "his team" he'd a never quit. But, Bryant had nothing tangible to lose by quitting. He was worldly enough to realize he couldn't ring with Brown, Walton and Parker so he figured this was his way to shit where he ate and strike a blow to Buss. But that lie he committed in Game 7 haunts him now years later as he's forced to heap another lie (this silly rationalization) upon it.

So cully,

are you saying he's redeeming himself these days for that fiasco of sorts?

Giuseppe
05-21-2010, 01:24 PM
So cully,

are you saying he's redeeming himself these days for that fiasco of sorts?

No. What's he's doing is an act vengeance (Luva called this early), with Fisher by his side. Even though D wasn't there at 3-1/3-4, he empathizes Kobe's torment.

Kobe probably has himself convinced he didn't quit, like he convinced himself he didn't rape. Maybe his mind couldn't/can't stand either truth.

Lord knows we all have our demons.

Medvedenko
05-21-2010, 01:50 PM
Lord knows indeed, only he will judge the pure from the wicked.

Kobe will continue on his path of absolution, retribution and redemption.....

Ghazi
05-21-2010, 01:51 PM
THE TRUCE IS OVER

Yes, yes it is

Medvedenko
05-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Yes, yes it is

I've been on this board for going on 6 years...the truce is over, however it had nothing to do with the Mavs....non-entity.

TheNextGen
05-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Why was there a truce in the first place?

TheManFromAcme
05-21-2010, 02:40 PM
No. What's he's doing is an act vengeance (Luva called this early), with Fisher by his side. Even though D wasn't there at 3-1/3-4, he empathizes Kobe's torment.

Kobe probably has himself convinced he didn't quit, like he convinced himself he didn't rape. Maybe his mind couldn't/can't stand either truth.

Lord knows we all have our demons.

Got it :tu

Medvedenko
05-21-2010, 02:45 PM
Why was there a truce in the first place?

It goes back a few years and my friendship with a few spur fans on this site....the truce was broken and henceforth the emo threads...a long story short no big deal anymore.

SomeCallMeTim
05-21-2010, 03:12 PM
I watched that game.

Yeah.

Reports to the contrary are a bit too Iraqi Information Minister for my liking.

namlook
05-21-2010, 03:13 PM
This is a total non issue. Whether Kobe tanked or not it doesn't matter because nothing Kobe could have done would have gotten a win with the minimal talent around him.

da_suns_fan
05-21-2010, 03:30 PM
I watched that game.

Yep. I wouldnt have missed that game for the world.

He quit.

Giuseppe
05-21-2010, 05:03 PM
This is a total non issue. Whether Kobe tanked or not it doesn't matter because nothing Kobe could have done would have gotten a win with the minimal talent around him.

That's neither here nor there. He should not have quit. And to continue to brazen it out years later is petty & childish & needless. No apology is necessary, just public recognition & condemnation of his act: "I did not act in a professional manner. I quit. I was wrong and I should not have done that. I let my family, my team, the NBA, the public and myself down. I cannot change the past, but, I will assure you it shall never happen again."

It's kinda of what I e-mailed to Kori requesting reinstatement after I quit. tee, hee.

Giuseppe
05-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Yep. I wouldnt have missed that game for the world.

He quit.

You have your own fish to fry, buster. Your Nash Rambler is no better than my Mamba in the Grass, da.

Nash to this day has not been forthright about his dirty deed. But, I'm here to make sure on this Board he will be held to accounts.

Now,

Let us proceed...

Agloco
05-21-2010, 05:18 PM
That's neither here nor there. He should not have quit. And to continue to brazen it out years later is petty & childish & needless. No apology is necessary, just public recognition & condemnation of his act: "I did not act in a professional manner. I quit. I was wrong and I should not have done that. I let my family, my team, the NBA, the public and myself down. I cannot change the past, but, I will assure you it shall never happen again."

It's kinda of what I e-mailed to Kori requesting reinstatement after I quit. tee, hee.

Why did Kori boot you anyway?

And yeah, belaboring the point about Kobe quitting is quite dumb. It's clear that he's on a mission. Someone's gotta take a tire iron to his ass.

Giuseppe
05-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Why did Kori boot you anyway?

Foolishly I asked her to and the darn girl took me serious.

Agloco
05-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Foolishly I asked her to and the darn girl took me serious.

Heh, sounds like she was waiting to pull the trigger. Glad you're back. You and Luva can be entertaining....... at times. :hat

ChrisRichards
05-21-2010, 06:14 PM
Post more under Dnile culby. I think that troll is hilarious rofl.

Giuseppe
05-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Heh, sounds like she was waiting to pull the trigger. Glad you're back. You and Luva can be entertaining....... at times. :hat

I kept pushin' her till finally I pushed her a smidge too far and that was it.

I've never learned the fine art of shutting my mouth.

Giuseppe
05-21-2010, 06:23 PM

I don't have a troll, Chris. It's my religion.

ChrisRichards
05-21-2010, 06:34 PM
My bad sir, religion it is :toast:toast

Hemotivo
05-21-2010, 06:46 PM
I watched that game.

mingus
05-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Gentry is simply saying this not to get Kobe angry.

Kobe tanked that game. as good as Kobe is (i love watching the guy, only behind Manu and Nash), that defines him as much as his greatest accolade. Kobe showed what he's made of when the odds are against him. he quits. he's not a guy i'd like to have on my side when the going gets rough, because he jumps ship.

Giuseppe
05-21-2010, 06:57 PM
Gentry is simply saying this not to get Kobe angry.

Kobe tanked that game. as good as Kobe is (i love watching the guy, only behind Manu and Nash), that defines him as much as his greatest accolade. Kobe showed what he's made of when the odds are against him. he quits. he's not a guy i'd like to have on my side when the going gets rough, because he jumps ship.

True, Ming, but you've no room. Rodman quit on your team in the playoffs and that could very well have you cost you an NBA Title.

mingus
05-21-2010, 07:03 PM
wgaf about Rodman?

mingus
05-21-2010, 07:05 PM
this thread is about Kobe.

Giuseppe
05-21-2010, 07:17 PM
this thread is about Kobe.

That don't mean yer immune to your own piccadillos, Ming, and you know it.

mingus
05-21-2010, 07:21 PM
That don't mean yer immune to your own piccadillos, Ming, and you know it.

i don't know what you're arguing, is my point. i don't know why you compare both players, as if this is a thread to compare the resumes of both players. what Rodman did has no bearing on the way Kobe will be remembered. it's irrelevent.

Giuseppe
05-21-2010, 07:38 PM
Parameters/rules/expectations all the sudden.:rolleyes

Donkeybong
05-21-2010, 08:37 PM
kobe wont be remembered for that game 7 against the suns, on a team that overachieved. He'll be remembered for 2nd greatest scoring achievement in a game, his unparalleled work ethic, and the # of rings on his fingers.

Allanon
05-21-2010, 08:58 PM
If Kobe tanked a game, so did Jordan, so did Wilt.

They're all human; sometimes people do weird shit.

Jordan and Wilt were forgiven, Kobe will too.

Giuseppe
05-21-2010, 09:59 PM
If Kobe tanked a game, so did Jordan, so did Wilt.

They're all human; sometimes people do weird shit.

Al, with the goods.

D. Nile
05-22-2010, 02:34 AM

Well sken here! I don't Adam and Eve it. I've got me a fan. Fine bloke to be sure needn't worry bout a ginger and how ye fancy thou, eh?

Toodle pip!

Jeremy
05-23-2010, 02:03 AM
Alvin Gentry:

"I would never use the word 'tank' and 'Kobe' in the same sentence."

Uh, he just did. :lol