PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Favors

bobby4germany
05-21-2010, 09:29 AM
Derrick Favors: In every draft class there is a kid that comes off as being one year away, and this year its Favors. Derrick is a bright young man, who is a little overwhelmed and nervous about the process. He is soft spoken and tends to blend in – as much as a 6'10 basketball player can.

The biggest part of the Combine process is the individual team interviews, and while any team can request a meeting with a player, sometimes the meeting requests paint an interesting picture.

You would expect that Favors, who is arguably the fourth best talent in the draft class would be talking to the top 8 to 10 teams, and if you looked at his interview list you'd be right. However there was one team that jumped off the page for Favors – The San Antonio Spurs.

The Spurs hold the 20th pick in the first round and have no shot at drafting Favors as they stand, but they met with him yesterday which is sure to fuel the trade speculation.

Sources close to the situation pointed out last night, that while San Antonio meeting with Favors is interesting, they also reminded that the team interview portion of the Combine was designed around this very concept.

If a team has interest in a player, they would want to meet with that player before giving up assets to move up in the draft, and just because a team meets with a player outside of their range, that does not mean they will meet the price tag to move up.

But Derrick Favors meeting with the San Antonio Spurs is interesting, especially when the New Jersey Nets have been floating that they would consider trading the third overall pick for the right kind of veteran – Tony Parker anyone?

the third overall pick for the right kind of veteran – Tony Parker anyone?

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16282#ixzz0oZeqn4Uw
This is from Hoopsworld so take it for what its worth.

MateoNeygro
05-21-2010, 09:38 AM
another one of these? Good lord. Thanks for posting though.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-21-2010, 09:42 AM
Reminds me of last year when it was reported that Blair had had an interview with the Spurs, even though at the time he was projected as a lottery pick. It'd be an even bigger shock if Favors falls to 20th, obviously extremely unlikely.

There's always talk about trying to move up and there are quite a few picks that might be available for the right price but apart from the speculation these things are rarely fruitful, so I don't expect the Spurs to move up, in fact I think it's much more likely that they'd trade out of the 1st round if the players they like are picked early on.

As for the proposed deal, it doesn't make sense for the Spurs to trade TP for a project big, no matter how talented he is. Would make sense for numerous other teams though who are looking to rebuild and NJ's pick is certainly attractive.

rayray2k8
05-21-2010, 09:43 AM
This is definitely gonna fuel some trade talk though. But then again it's hoopsworld. :lol

DBMethos
05-21-2010, 09:45 AM
Swapping a 28-year-old NBA Finals MVP for a rookie? In a year that's Tim Duncan's possible last chance for his 5th ring?

Sign me up, please. :rolleyes

BadMotorscooter
05-21-2010, 09:50 AM
Why would the Nets trade for Parker when they already have Devin Harris?

rayray2k8
05-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Why would the Nets trade for Parker when they already have Devin Harris?

Maybe because Harris might be involved in the trade? If Bonner is included, im all for it. :D

BadMotorscooter
05-21-2010, 09:54 AM
No way the Nets trade Harris and the #3 pick for Parker.

bobby4germany
05-21-2010, 09:56 AM
No way the Nets trade Harris and the #3 pick for Parker.

Are you saying that you would rather have Harris as you starting point over TP?

BadMotorscooter
05-21-2010, 09:57 AM

and the #3 pick....yes. The Spurs would have to throw in either their 1st round pick or another player like Blair.

Chieflion
05-21-2010, 09:58 AM

I think he is saying he would rather have Harris + Favors or Cousins than just Tony Parker.

bobby4germany
05-21-2010, 10:01 AM
I think he is saying he would rather have Harris + Favors or Cousins than just Tony Parker.

You bring in Tony to get Lebron not a rookie.

Ocotillo
05-21-2010, 10:02 AM
R. J. needs a homecoming.

BadMotorscooter
05-21-2010, 10:02 AM
LeBron would rather go play with Derrick Rose than Tony Parker if that was the case.

rayray2k8
05-21-2010, 10:03 AM
This kid is raw as hell, but damn this kid has tremendous upside. Just entertaining the idea.

xO4hLIP6-ic

bobby4germany
05-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Maybe but the nets cant get Rose so this may be there best option.

8FOR!3
05-21-2010, 10:06 AM
If they got Tony Parker they could move Devin Harris to the position he should be playing, shooting guard.

BadMotorscooter
05-21-2010, 10:07 AM
Maybe but the nets cant get Rose so this may be there best option.

But thats the point. Getting Parker wont land LeBron to the Nets. He'll just go to Chicago instead. Plus Tony rhinks he is a max type player and should be paid accordingly. I dont think the Nets would do that. They have other free agent players they want to give that money to first.

venitian navigator
05-21-2010, 10:07 AM
The trade makes sense only if Spurs have decided to start re-building now...and it's not necessary that D. Harris is included.
For New Jersey a back court of Parker - Harris and Williams would be unbelievable quick...three of the quickest players in the world.
Give them two very good rebounders at 4-5 and other teams can already start to run...

BadMotorscooter
05-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Harris would be a very undersized SG. He is 6-3. You look at guys like Manu, Kobe, Roy, ect....they are all 6-6.

50 cent
05-21-2010, 10:11 AM
I'd be cool with trading Parker + our 1st for Harris and the #3 overall.

xellos88330
05-21-2010, 10:13 AM
This kid is raw as hell, but damn this kid has tremendous upside. Just entertaining the idea.

xO4hLIP6-ic

Wow. That looked like he was playing against a junior high team. Didn't even have to jump to block shots.

He looked like he has nice touch around the basket and a decent jumper, but then again it was against people only half his height it looked like.

bobby4germany
05-21-2010, 10:13 AM
But thats the point. Getting Parker wont land LeBron to the Nets. He'll just go to Chicago instead. Plus Tony rhinks he is a max type player and should be paid accordingly. I dont think the Nets would do that. They have other free agent players they want to give that money to first.

Hmmmm well I guess we will just have to disagree on this one. If I were LBJ and I was considering the Nets I would rather play with a point guard that has proven to carry a team and not one that was just part of the worst team in NBA history.

BadMotorscooter
05-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Hmmmm well I guess we will just have to disagree on this one. If I were LBJ and I was considering the Nets I would rather play with a point guard that has proven to carry and team and not one that was just part of the worst team in NBA history.

Thats why they wanted the 1st pick. They wanted Wall and to try and get Calipari to entice leBron. They would have traded Harris then. But I dont see them thinking Parker is the answer.

Muser
05-21-2010, 10:22 AM

xO4hLIP6-ic

Looks nice, but like someone else said he was playing against chumps.

dbestpro
05-21-2010, 10:39 AM

The new owner of the Nets is the richest owner in the NBA and tosses a million dollars around like its a ten dollar tip. The Nets will be more willing to spend than any other team in the NBA. This guy makes Mark Cuban look like Donald Sterling.

DAF86
05-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Parker isn't going anywhere, I don't think the Spurs would trade him after asking him to not play fot the French NT this summer.

dbestpro
05-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Yi, Harris and NJ number one for Parker and SA number one. Do it!

5in10
05-21-2010, 11:43 AM
parker blair #20 for devin harris and #3?

ffadicted
05-21-2010, 12:02 PM
parker blair #20 for devin harris and #3?

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck nooooooooooo

Bruno
05-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Given Nets new ownership, it should be Karaulov for #3.

cantthinkofanything
05-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Parker isn't going anywhere, I don't think the Spurs would trade him after asking him to not play fot the French NT this summer.

Doesn't that just add to his trade value?

kobyz
05-21-2010, 12:22 PM
i'd better do Parker ,Blair and #20 for Brand and #2, i love Evan Turner!

Yannis Koutroupis
05-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Hey guys,

Me and Steve, who wrote the blurb on Favors, bumped into Derrick here at the Sheraton on the North side of Chicago where everyone is staying for the combine when he was on his way to interview with the Spurs. In my opinion this ultimately leads to nothing because it'd take such a huge move for the Spurs to get up that high and I'm not sure they're ready to do something of that magnitude - especially for a guy that is so young and raw. Getting him would likely mean giving up pieces that would take them out of contention next year and I don't think that's the direction they're trying to go. Internally teams go over so many options and check in on so many avenues, more than anything I think the Spurs are intrigued by Favors and just wanted to get to know him a little better. You never know what can happen down the line, Favors probably won't end up a Spur on draft night, but there's no telling whether or not their paths could cross down the line. The most interesting part of the whole thing though is that we've talked to every prospect here and none of the other top eight guys are willing to talk to teams that high up. It could be nothing more than the Favors' camp having respect for the Spurs and appreciating their interest, but no other players/agents in the lottery are giving that kind of love to teams that high.

ffadicted
05-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Devin Harris for Tony Parker would be a bad move. But if the deal went Harris and the third pick for Parker and the 20th pick? Thats a little more fair.

Down side is that I see the 76ers drafting Favors. Unlikely actually, but knowing the 76ers oganization they would like the athletic ability of Favors over Turner.

The 76ers would be better trading partners for the Spurs if we are talking draft picks.

wtf lol the 6ers get favors, we'd get Turner. Tuner > > > Favors, I don't care who else we have on the wing or athletic ability.

Much pipe dreaming here in this thread though

NFGIII
05-21-2010, 02:02 PM
Looks nice, but like someone else said he was playing against chumps.

All the videos clips I see of players make them look all world. Remember James White, Marcus Haislip and Pops? I'm not comparing those players to Favors since I believe he will be the real deal but not now. Just saying let's not base your opinions on video clips. That is selective video clips.

The new owner of the Nets is the richest owner in the NBA and tosses a million dollars around like its a ten dollar tip. The Nets will be more willing to spend than any other team in the NBA. This guy makes Mark Cuban look like Donald Sterling. :lol

He is the Russian version of Cuban.

wtf lol the 6ers get favors, we'd get Turner. Tuner > > > Favors, I don't care who else we have on the wing or athletic ability.

Much pipe dreaming here in this thread though

Agreed. I would love to have Turner but getting the #3 pick would take some doing and that doing may just lead to blowing the team up, which I think isn't in the Spurs plans.

That will hapeen when TD retires and Pop leaves.

wildbill2u
05-21-2010, 03:00 PM

xO4hLIP6-ic

The guy was playing against an all midget team. Hard to tell much from that.

nbaman99
05-21-2010, 03:18 PM
if anyone, it will be RJ for Farvors.

MaNu4Tres
05-21-2010, 03:30 PM
if anyone, it will be RJ for Farvors.

Why would the Nets do that?

:lol

ffadicted
05-21-2010, 03:39 PM
I think Turner is the better player as well, however I am positive that Favors is getting a hard look from the 76ers.

Well wouldn't that be even a bigger plus for the spurs and not a downside? I know we don't really need another guard, but Turner is gonna be a huge player in this league soon, and he's very NBA ready.

I've now read/listened in multiple places that the sixers are thinking about actually trading that pick to anyone who will take Brand's contract though. Disastrous

Blackjack
05-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Derrick Favors on his Spurs interview
by Timothy Varner

Derrick Favors does not speak Russian, but he’s willing to learn.

Yesterday Steve Kyler reported (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16282) that the Spurs had interviewed Derrick Favors (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Derrick-Favors-1335/) during this year’s draft combine. The situation is strange so far as the Spurs draft at 20 and Favors is currently the consensus No. 3 pick.

The Favors interview is reminiscent of another unlikely player interview: last year the Spurs interviewed DeJuan Blair as part of the Draft Combine process (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/05/29/digging-for-answers-with-dejuan-blair/).

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/05/21/derrick-favors-on-his-spurs-interview/)

scottspurs
05-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Derrick Favors on his Spurs interview
by Timothy Varner

Derrick Favors does not speak Russian, but he’s willing to learn.

Yesterday Steve Kyler reported (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16282) that the Spurs had interviewed Derrick Favors (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Derrick-Favors-1335/) during this year’s draft combine. The situation is strange so far as the Spurs draft at 20 and Favors is currently the consensus No. 3 pick.

The Favors interview is reminiscent of another unlikely player interview: last year the Spurs interviewed DeJuan Blair as part of the Draft Combine process (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/05/29/digging-for-answers-with-dejuan-blair/).

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/05/21/derrick-favors-on-his-spurs-interview/)

:wow If the 76ers are that desperate to get rid of Brand's contract would they consider a jefferson for brand/2nd pick swap? Doubt it, but it's still interesting that the spurs would interview Favors.

scottspurs
05-21-2010, 04:26 PM
^Nevermind the spurs can't trade Jefferson until after July 1st anyway and the draft is June 24th.

PBEEZY
05-21-2010, 04:33 PM
^Nevermind the spurs can't trade Jefferson until after July 1st anyway and the draft is June 24th.

Well they could just let the 76ers draft for them then do the trade but it ain't happening... anyway if that was the case they should be interviewing Turner, him & wall are clearly steps ahead of the rest of the class

Trimble87
05-21-2010, 05:06 PM
If we trade for Brand and somehow manage the 2nd pick there is no way we take Favors over Turner anyway.

The Nets theory makes more sense, but do Parker and Harris' contracts even match up? I thought Tony was set to make about 5 million more then Harris next year. I know NJ has cap room right now, but I'm not sure how close they are to the max contract money. Would 5 million less make a difference in their FA aspirations? If that is the case then Parker + 20 for Harris + Terrence Williams + 3 would work so they don't lose as much money and we get a young SF. There are two scenarios I can think of in which this trade makes sense for NJ:

A. They think that Lebron or Wade is more likely to come with Parker there.

B. They are assuming that this trade does not affect Lebron or Wade at all, meaning the small chance NJ has of landing one of them wont be affected negatively or positively by this trade. In that case Parker's expiring contract is attractive as trade bait next season or simply as more cap space in 2011. Best case they land Lebron and either make a big trade involving Parker, sign him to play along Lebron next year or just use the extra cap room in 2011. Worst case they miss out on Lebron and Wade and make a run at Carmelo in 2011 with the option of resigning Parker to play with him, as well as another lottery pick (more then likely)

I think, realistically, the chances of this happening are less then 1%. But It's still fun to speculate.

BadMotorscooter
05-21-2010, 05:47 PM
Once again...like I said earlier in the thread this will not happen without the Spurs giving up their 1st or a player like Blair or Hill. No way Jersey does it without that combo of package in return. Jersy can make a front court of Favors/Lopez...and that is gonna be good for quite a few years. They wont give that up...with their starting PG...for Tony Parker alone. Not a chance.

scottspurs
05-21-2010, 05:53 PM
I was under the impression that if the Spurs traded RJ this summer then his early termination clause was no longer an option. I don't really know though.

I tried a trade on trade machine on ESPN and it said players with ETO's or PO's can't be traded before July 1st.

Mel_13
05-21-2010, 06:17 PM
There's probably less than 1% chance of the Spurs acquiring the second or third pick.

If we're going to speculate, I'd say there is zero chance that the Spurs make a trade with Philly if that trade includes taking Brand back as part of the deal. Even if Philly took RJ back in return, the Spurs would be paying over 40M in additional salary to exchange RJ for Turner and whatever basketball Brand has left in him. No way.

Parker and the 20th pick for Harris and the third pick is also highly unlikely, but it does have the advantage of not crippling the franchise financially.

BadMotorscooter
05-21-2010, 07:04 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and lay out what I think what happen if we made this trade. We wont be going for Favors. Its a smokescreen. We want Cousins. We want a bad ass in the paint who can defend and score. A true Center. There is no reason to trade for a guy who would play behind Tim and Blair. Cousins is the guy we want.

Stump
05-21-2010, 07:10 PM
If Splitter comes over, this trade is not needed.

If he doesn't? Spurs clearly won't be equipped to contend without a big move, so why not roll the dice with Harris and Favors?

BadMotorscooter
05-21-2010, 07:10 PM
Let me give a quick preview of Cousins. He is a light footed, quick and lean Center who could play power forward. Remind you of anyone? Think David Robinson.

safetypickle
05-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Let me give a quick preview of Cousins. He is a light footed, quick and lean Center who could play power forward. Remind you of anyone? Think David Robinson.

he is hardly a lean player, weighed in at 292 with 16.4% bodyfat. favors in comparison is 245 with a bf% of 6.5.
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/

BadMotorscooter
05-21-2010, 07:28 PM
he is hardly a lean player, weighed in at 292 with 16.4% bodyfat. favors in comparison is 245 with a bf% of 6.5.

He's lost 25 pounds waiting for the draft and working out. We'll see what he comes out at.

Mel_13
05-21-2010, 07:30 PM
He's lost 25 pounds waiting for the draft and working out. We'll see what he comes out at.

Those numbers are from today or last night.

BronxCowboy
05-21-2010, 07:42 PM

Not only is he not very lean, from the Kentucky games I saw, "quick" wouldn't be on my list of adjectives, and "lightfooted" is almost a joke.

MaNu4Tres
05-21-2010, 07:47 PM
As much as I value Parker, Spurs would have to consider Devin Harris and the #3 pick in the draft for Parker. It would really be a fair deal. IMO.

In my opinion, Parker has to have an All-Star type season by the All-Star break for the Spurs to really consider giving the extension Parker is looking for(the max-extension). If this scenario plays out then Spurs' future won't be as vulnerable from a talent standpoint.

On the other hand, if he has a so-so year, I don't see the Spurs giving Parker the max deal extension at any point in the season. Which would put the Spurs in a vulnerable position once the Free Agency period begins because of the chances of Parker signing elsewhere and leaving the Spurs empty handed. (This scenario is the most realistic in my opinion. I don't think Spurs are going to want to give Parker the max-level extension. And I believe Parker and his group will demand nothing but the max.)

If Spurs hold on to Parker and lose out on the gamble by him latching on to another team during Free Agency, the Spurs will still have around 15 million in cap space in free agency. Problem with that is top-free agents will no longer see San Antonio as a place to go win a championship. This reasoning and with San Antonio being a small market, makes me believe it will be a long-shot for the Spurs to sign any significant 10-13 million dollar player that's actually worth the money. To be honest they will probably have to overpay marginal talent to win any free agent over.

It's going to be a tough decision for the Spurs as it all unfolds. Hold on to Parker and run the risk of him going elsewhere and be left with nothing in return? Give in and overpay Parker the max level extension, crippling your franchise from a financial standpoint ? Or trade Parker now guaranteeing your franchise talent to replace a player of such caliber and also giving more flexibility to add talent with more finances? Tough decision for R.C and Pop. IMO

IMO. If I'm the Spurs and Net's offered me Devin Harris and the #3 pick in the draft for Parker, after much deliberation I'd have to probably agree.

BadMotorscooter
05-21-2010, 08:28 PM
As much as I value Parker, Spurs would have to consider Devin Harris and the #3 pick in the draft for Parker. It would really be a fair deal. IMO.

In my opinion, Parker has to have an All-Star type season by the All-Star break for the Spurs to really consider giving the extension Parker is looking for(the max-extension). If this scenario plays out then Spurs' future won't be as vulnerable from a talent standpoint.

On the other hand, if he has a so-so year, I don't see the Spurs giving Parker the max deal extension at any point in the season. Which would put the Spurs in a vulnerable position once the Free Agency period begins because of the chances of Parker signing elsewhere and leaving the Spurs empty handed. (This scenario is the most realistic in my opinion. I don't think Spurs are going to want to give Parker the max-level extension. And I believe Parker and his group will demand nothing but the max.)

If Spurs hold on to Parker and lose out on the gamble by him latching on to another team during Free Agency, the Spurs will still have around 15 million in cap space in free agency. Problem with that is top-free agents will no longer see San Antonio as a place to go win a championship. This reasoning and with San Antonio being a small market, makes me believe it will be a long-shot for the Spurs to sign any significant 10-13 million dollar player that's actually worth the money. To be honest they will probably have to overpay marginal talent to win any free agent over.

It's going to be a tough decision for the Spurs as it all unfolds. Hold on to Parker and run the risk of him going elsewhere and be left with nothing in return? Give in and overpay Parker the max level extension, crippling your franchise from a financial standpoint ? Or trade Parker now guaranteeing your franchise talent to replace a player of such caliber and also giving more flexibility to add talent with more finances? Tough decision for R.C and Pop. IMO

IMO. If I'm the Spurs and Net's offered me Devin Harris and the #3 pick in the draft for Parker, after much deliberation I'd have to probably agree.

BadMotorscooter
05-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Not a chance. An injuried plagued p;arker for Harris and the #3 pick is fair? Harris put up the same numbers Tony did this year and you want the #3 pick included. Not a chance. lol

Mel_13
05-21-2010, 08:37 PM

I can't see it happening, but I agree that the Spurs should make that trade if offered. Generally, teams only get a top-3 pick by suffering through a 20-win season. Getting a top-3 pick in exchange for downgrading from Parker to Harris is a very good deal.

Still don't know why NJ makes the deal unless the Russian guy really wants to add Paris and Hollywood to the global brand he wants to create.

MaNu4Tres
05-21-2010, 08:46 PM
I can't see it happening, but I agree that the Spurs should make that trade if offered. Generally, teams only get a top-3 pick by suffering through a 20-win season. Getting a top-3 pick in exchange for downgrading from Parker to Harris is a very good deal.

Still don't know why NJ makes the deal unless the Russian guy really wants to add Paris and Hollywood to the global brand he wants to create.

I agree.

I was just stating if the scenario were to play out where the offer was made by New Jersey. IMO The only way I see New Jersey agreeing to such a deal is if the 20th pick and maybe Blair is included and obviously if Parker agreed to a long-term deal with New Jersey(which I don't really see Tony doing).

It was just my opinion on if the offer was made. Spurs have a tough decision on the Parker situation.

Yannis Koutroupis
05-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Spurs requested DeMarcus Cousins for an interview, which he seemed willing to do - but his agent advised him not to. When we told him they brought in Favors he seemed a little surprised, like he wished he would have done it. Overall consensus here in Chicago is that agents have way too much control over the process.

Mel_13
05-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Spurs have a tough decision on the Parker situation.

Indeed. I don't think there is a real appreciation for the complications that surround Tony's contract situation. Much more complicated than Manu's case.

mogrovejo
05-21-2010, 09:15 PM

Really? From an athletic perspective, he reminded me more of a guy like Dampier. Robinson did have elite athleticism, Cousins doesn't. Cousins is very big and very skilled though, he's going to be good.

Favors has tremendous defensive potential. Favors is the light footed, quick and lean one that can play both big man positions.

BadMotorscooter
05-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Really? From an athletic perspective, he reminded me more of a guy like Dampier. Robinson did have elite athleticism, Cousins doesn't. Cousins is very big and very skilled though, he's going to be good.

Favors has tremendous defensive potential. Favors is the light footed, quick and lean one that can play both big man positions.

BadMotorscooter
05-21-2010, 10:04 PM

Cousins is a freshman. Very atheltic. His potential is the sky. And a cornerstone player for a franchise. David played 4 years in college. Cousins has only played 1. If he played 4, he would easily be the #1 noverall pick...everyone and their mother would fight over him. Trust me.

Agloco
05-21-2010, 10:30 PM
Harris would be a very undersized SG. He is 6-3. You look at guys like Manu, Kobe, Roy, ect....they are all 6-6.

George Hill is 6'2". Just FYI.

Blackjack
05-21-2010, 10:40 PM
Cousins is a freshman. Very atheltic. His potential is the sky. And a cornerstone player for a franchise. David played 4 years in college. Cousins has only played 1. If he played 4, he would easily be the #1 noverall pick...everyone and their mother would fight over him. Trust me.

Just curious, when did you start following the Spurs or even the NBA (honest question)?

BadMotorscooter
05-22-2010, 12:00 AM
Just curious, when did you start following the Spurs or even the NBA (honest question)?

I'm to old to remember. Maybe I've become senile....I was going to games when James Silas, Gervin, Gilmore,...were playing. Does that give you a hint?

BadMotorscooter
05-22-2010, 12:14 AM
George Hill is 6'2". Just FYI.

And what does that mean? Hill is a 'tweener. He's a SG with PG size. Plain and simple.

Blackjack
05-22-2010, 12:17 AM
I'm to old to remember. Maybe I've become senile....I was going to games when James Silas, Gervin, Gilmore,...were playing. Does that give you a hint?

I can forgive senile. I'm sure I'll get there soon enough.

BadMotorscooter
05-22-2010, 12:18 AM
I can forgive senile. I'm sure I'll get there soon enough.

Everyone will...unfortunately.

Blackjack
05-22-2010, 12:36 AM
Spurs requested DeMarcus Cousins for an interview, which he seemed willing to do - but his agent advised him not to. When we told him they brought in Favors he seemed a little surprised, like he wished he would have done it. Overall consensus here in Chicago is that agents have way too much control over the process.

Thanks, Yannis. I didn't see this the first time. :tu

I always side with due diligence when it comes to these things but the reality of the Spurs is something that you can't simply scoff when seeing a little smoke like this; the Spurs were pretty much as healthy as could be expected by the time the playoffs rolled around and though they obviously ran out of gas after going through the Mavs and not receiving much of a break from the schedule, you can't truly expect to contend if things outside of injury control your fate -- championship teams usually have the ability to overcome fatigue and unfortunate scheduling.

So if they didn't have what it took last year and they're only able to add Splitter and some lower-level talent as role-players, it's hard to imagine that'll be enough. Tim and Manu will be a year older; Tony's in a contract year (which could go either way depending on how they come out of the gates); Splitter's not guaranteed and will be a rookie; they're going to have to find a way to unload RJ, IMO, for something that just fits better and brings more to their team and system (even if it's a lesser talent that's just more suited to excel as a Spur); and they're going to have to hope for significant growth internally from their young guys: Blair, Hill, their first-rounder (should they keep it) and THG.

So much just has to go right for them to find themselves back in the Finals. And though you could say that for most teams that strive to those ends, the Spurs' margin for error is almost as slim as it comes when you're talking about teams that truly aspire to be champion.

The Spurs know it; and that's why their due diligence means more than "not skipping steps" these days.

Spurs Brazil
05-22-2010, 06:24 AM
Georgia Tech's Favors: Spurs are trying to get me
By Jeff McDonald on May 21, 10 08:50 PM

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2010/05/georgia-techs-f-1.html

mogrovejo
05-22-2010, 07:39 AM

I can see Cousins being a franchise player. Very big, very skilled, fairly athletic. But he's definitely a center in the league. No way he can keep up with the more mobile 4s. The problem with Cousins seems to be between his ears anyway.

But he's not light footed, he isn't a big leaper, he isn't particularly fast, he doesn't have elite athleticism. He doesn't come close to Favors in any of those traits.

And both are freshmen. Most elite projects are freshmen these days.

DPG21920
05-22-2010, 09:51 AM
:pctoss

I was going to throw out that a NJ/SA trade would be one of the only trade scenarios I see that somewhat make sense a few days ago, but then I thought I should just let it rest and think on it.

I am not sure if I would do the trade unless we could get a little more from NJ, but it at least seems more plausible than most ideas.

Gino2882
05-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Rod Thorn is calling the shots in New Jersey. He is no dummy (traded Marbury for Kidd a few years back) so swindling Thorn isn't going to be easy.

I see no way in hell the Spurs get the #3 pick and another player back for Tony Parker.

Something like this maybe.

Spurs Get:

#3 pick
Devin Harris

Nets Get:

Tony Parker
Tiago Splitter
Rights to: De Colo

SenorSpur
05-22-2010, 10:58 AM
Rod Thorn is calling the shots in New Jersey. He is no dummy (traded Marbury for Kidd a few years back) so swindling Thorn isn't going to be easy.

I see no way in hell the Spurs get the #3 pick and another player back for Tony Parker.

Spurs Get:

#3 pick
Devin Harris

Nets Get:

Tony Parker
Tiago Splitter

That would be better. However, Nets GM Rod Thorn has a way of being able to smell blood - especially if he knows a team is desparate. He's got a reputation for being very shrewd. See the J-Kidd trade to the Mavs, where he literally fleeced them for their draft picks.

Thorn is no dummy. He knows that if Splitter spurs the Spurs, they will be desparate for a big. Therefore, expect him to also ask for the Spurs #20 pick in return for the other assets mentioned.

That said, that would be a deal-breaker for me. No way would I give that up in this scenario. Parker is a all-star player, former Finals MVP and future HOFer. Spurs should be careful not to give up too much if they're willing to risk giving up Parker in a trade.

The Truth #6
05-22-2010, 11:29 AM
From past interviews it sounded like Parker is expecting to get paid in his next contract. I can't see him in the long range post Duncan team. Especially for Pop who would prefer to build a foundation around defense. I can see the FO pursuing this trade. If they do nothing our realistic goal next year is not a title but getting into the playoffs.

jason1301
05-22-2010, 11:37 AM
The ONLY reason that I wouldn't mind trading TP is the injuries he had this past season, to that add the fact that he turned pro when he was 16. That's way too many minutes under his belt, he may be a bit older than we all think.

MaNu4Tres
05-22-2010, 12:37 PM

Spurs Get:

#3 pick
Devin Harris

Nets Get:

Tony Parker
Tiago Splitter

If Splitter makes it known that his intentions are to make the transition to the NBA, I would try to avoid including him in such a proposed deal. And if they insisted on Splitter, I'd turn them down. Splitter is as just as valuable as any big man in the draft except a lot more polished and ready to contribute IMO. It's hard to come by a skilled 7 footer like Splitter in the first place, which only makes his value that much higher (if he is coming over this upcoming season).

Of course some big men in the draft might have a higher ceiling (Favors), but he would be just as valuable as Splitter these next 2-3 years. Spurs downgrading to Devin Harris and then making a sideways move at least for the next 2 years by trading Splitter for Favors (if Splitter comes over) doesn't improve the Spurs.IMO

When it comes down to it, I don't think Thorn agrees to the deal unless Parker agrees to sign for the long-term. At the same time I don't think Parker signs for the long-term, unless a big name free agent signs there anytime after July 8th. Which makes the trade very unlikely because the trade would have to happen before free agency.

But if we are playing the trade scenario game, I'd be willing to part with Parker, Blair and/or #20 and the rights to Colo.

mfanatic
05-22-2010, 12:59 PM
Tony Parker
Blair
#20 Pick
Rights to De Colo

For

Harris
#3 Pick (Derrick Favors)

----

Harris/Hill
Manu/MLE
Jefferson/Hairston
Duncan/Favors
Splitter/Mcdyess

Mel_13
05-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Tony Parker
Blair
#20 Pick
Rights to De Colo

For

Harris
#3 Pick (Derrick Favors)

----

Harris/Hill
Manu/MLE
Jefferson/Hairston
Duncan/Favors
Splitter/Mcdyess

Teams only get one MLE. Signing Splitter will require all or most of the MLE.

rayray2k8
05-22-2010, 04:36 PM
I think we should settle down a bit on this thread. Nothing is gonna happen until the draft comes and rolls by, so lets just wait.
It's nice to hear that the spurs are active in the combine, but nothing is certain.
I'm use Spiltter will have a hand in this when it is all said and done.

SenorSpur
05-22-2010, 04:39 PM
If Splitter makes it known that his intentions are to make the transition to the NBA, I would try to avoid including him in such a proposed deal. And if they insisted on Splitter, I'd turn them down. Splitter is as just as valuable as any big man in the draft except a lot more polished and ready to contribute IMO. It's hard to come by a skilled 7 footer like Splitter in the first place, which only makes his value that much higher (if he is coming over this upcoming season).

Of course some big men in the draft might have a higher ceiling (Favors), but he would be just as valuable as Splitter these next 2-3 years. Spurs downgrading to Devin Harris and then making a sideways move at least for the next 2 years by trading Splitter for Favors (if Splitter comes over) doesn't improve the Spurs.IMO

When it comes down to it, I don't think Thorn agrees to the deal unless Parker agrees to sign for the long-term. At the same time I don't think Parker signs for the long-term, unless a big name free agent signs there anytime after July 8th. Which makes the trade very unlikely because the trade would have to happen before free agency.

But if we are playing the trade scenario game, I'd be willing to part with Parker, Blair and/or #20 and the rights to Colo.

At this point, Splitter is an uncertain. I guess we'll know in about month whether or not he'll be coming. Regardless of that, there no way in hell I would part with Blair - in any scenario. I'd just as soon deal Splitter or his rights. That's not saying that Blair is more valuable or vice versa. It's just the Spurs KNOW what they have in him. Splitter is a virtual unknown commodity.

Marcjg983
05-22-2010, 04:46 PM
If it were possible to make the trade for the third pick without giving up Blair or splitter, why wouldn't it be possible to still have splitter come over? To get lucky and draft favors and have splitter and Blair!? That's one hell of a future front court. I ask cause people make it seem that if splitter comes then this trade wouldn't be necessary. I think no matter what if it's possible then do it.

yavozerb
05-22-2010, 05:02 PM
At this point, Splitter is an uncertain. I guess we'll know in about month whether or not he'll be coming. Regardless of that, there no way in hell I would part with Blair - in any scenario. I'd just as soon deal Splitter or his rights. That's not saying that Blair is more valuable or vice versa. It's just the Spurs KNOW what they have in him. Splitter is a virtual unknown commodity.

I realize these scenarios are 99% BS but blair is a known commidity at this point which means he is an undersized pf, plays hard, great rebounder, below average defense (cause of his size), very little offensive game outside the lane, good passer. You make him sound untradable again, why? Look I love the kid, but if he helps us get bigger and younger at the same time i'm all for it.

SenorSpur
05-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Cousins is fat-16.5% body fat, 3-4 inchs shorter than Drob, not an athlete and does not play hard most of the time. This guy has Eddie Curry written all over him.

No one is fighting over him, dude cant even speak well. They say his interviews are going real bad and that he could see his self fall into the early teens on draftnigth. The guys isnt even as good as Brook Lopez and he went 10th. I think when all is said and done he falls between 8-14

Not surprising at all. This justifies the rumblings about both his motor and his desire. He probably did the Spurs a favor by passing on the interview request.

BadMotorscooter
05-22-2010, 07:44 PM
Cousins is fat-16.5% body fat, 3-4 inchs shorter than Drob, not an athlete and does not play hard most of the time. This guy has Eddie Curry written all over him.

No one is fighting over him, dude cant even speak well. They say his interviews are going real bad and that he could see his self fall into the early teens on draftnigth. The guys isnt even as good as Brook Lopez and he went 10th. I think when all is said and done he falls between 8-14

You're kidding right? I hope so. Cousins is the real deal. Let me give you another center prospect that couldnt speak clearly. His name was Shaq.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Tony Parker
Blair
#20 Pick
Rights to De Colo

For

Harris
#3 Pick (Derrick Favors)

----

Harris/Hill
Manu/MLE
Jefferson/Hairston
Duncan/Favors
Splitter/Mcdyess

There is no way we would give up that much. Stop it, rook.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Georgia Tech's Favors: Spurs are trying to get me
By Jeff McDonald on May 21, 10 08:50 PM

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2010/05/georgia-techs-f-1.html

So, for all you noobs, this means we absolutely aren't looking at Favors at all. CIAPop in effect.

Thompson
05-23-2010, 12:21 AM
Dont be so sure, Doug Collins loves TP and they may wanna get a vet pg to run that team. TP for the second pick and Iggy who Philly wants to dump anyway would work for both teams. Philly would get loads of cap room in 2011 if they wanted to and would get a very good pg who would make them a much better team right now.

Who would run point for us then? I would rather do Jefferson's expiring for Iggy and the #2, but I doubt there's any way the 76ers do that.

ElNono
05-23-2010, 12:30 AM
Maybe plan B or C if Splitter doesn't pan out and Ian is no longer available?
I see this option as unlikely. But you have to explore everything out there.

TD 21
05-23-2010, 12:45 AM
The Spurs know it; and that's why their due diligence means more than "not skipping steps" these days.

This line reminded me of a Harvey article. :lol

Blackjack
05-23-2010, 12:50 AM
This line reminded me of a Harvey article. :lol

I'm worried I might be his illegitimate, degenerate spawn. I'm literally a sick bastard.

JonNOKC
05-23-2010, 02:50 PM
I think when it is all said and done this will end up another 20 pages of meaningless banter - but the biggest thing I take out if this is the FO is not looking to just hold pat and sign a few cheap contracts to fill out roster - this tells me despite being in a tight money situation they are exploring any/all options to improve this team even those that are very unlikely to ever materialize - If the FO pulls off any type of big move this summer you have to give them kudos even if you don't necessarily like the move personally - given the teams limited window, the cap restraints, and the failed Jefferson experiment - I am extremely happy to hear the FO being active and maybe exploring a few "outside the box" ideas.

JonNOKC
05-23-2010, 02:58 PM
Agreed but I am such a spurs fan I love the what ifs.......I do think the FO knows the window is almost closed and will be active this offseason. I think they need more than one young player to get it done we need a post guy who can not only play with TD but post up and score as well every now and then......and we need a big wing who can shot the 3 and spell Manu and RJ.

Definitely not discrouaging the what if scenario - hey its a long summer and until the draft thats all we really have - next season is too far away - I sincerely hope the FO finds a way to make big splash - even in the worse case scenario its hard to imagine we won't at least have a couple more athletic role players surrounding the Big 3, plus improved Hill and Blair - but without big move it is tough even as a fan to really feel like we can contend for a championship

Agloco
05-23-2010, 02:58 PM
I think Hill runs the point, he did very well with TP out of the lineup, I also think Pops love the Ball in Manus hands in the half court because Manu is such a creator.

Spurs could also look to sign a vet pg in FA or draft one...pg in our system is not that important all you have to do is advance the ball past half court. And while I love TP he does dominate the ball alot and I think that hurts us at times.

Hey RJ for Iggy and number two I would love it but I dont see much in it for Philly

Hill's a shooting guard and limiting him to the point only reduces his overall potential. Also, you simply cant run Manu at the point 30+ minutes a night for an entire season.

TheSpursFNRule
05-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Hi can someone post the Derrick Favors/San Antonio Spurs portion of insider on ESPN..

link is here...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors?&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2ffeatures%2frumors

titled "San Antonio's Plan B"

thanks....

rayray2k8
05-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Dude... Spurs talk IS the insider. :lol

rayray2k8
05-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Hi can someone post the Derrick Favors/San Antonio Spurs portion of insider on ESPN..

link is here...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors?&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2ffeatures%2frumors

titled "San Antonio's Plan B"

thanks....

I'm guessing it has to do with Favors saying that the spurs want him and that he would be Plan B if Splitter doesn't come over.

I am pretty sure it's that. :lol
Look around in the forum, you'll find what you're looking for.

BackHome
05-23-2010, 10:01 PM
Our first options is to get Splitter signed he will be better then any big man in this draft by far. So with him comming over that realy gives us two first round players who can actually be starters on most NBA teams.

I wish and hope though that the Spurs can somehow get another first rounder or move up. I know the Blazers are always just buying a mid to late first round from teams that something I would love to see. Other then that I wouldn't mind signing Bonner and Ian and somehow trading them and getting another first round player.

Man it would be sweet to get Babbitt, and Larry Sanders or Quincy ........you got Babbitt who can stretch the floor and plays the pick and roll to perfection. and then you have Sanders come in when we play the fast tall athletic teams that Blair can't keep up with. Or get Quincy that can play both SG and SF and is athletic.

Then go into second round and draft a PG OR CENTER..OR PF.....

Mel_13
05-23-2010, 10:04 PM
Our first options is to get Splitter signed he will be better then any big man in this draft by far. So with him comming over that realy gives us two first round players who can actually be starters on most NBA teams.

I wish and hope though that the Spurs can somehow get another first rounder or move up. I know the Blazers are always just buying a mid to late first round from teams that something I would love to see. Other then that I wouldn't mind signing Bonner and Ian and somehow trading them and getting another first round player.

Man it would be sweet to get Babbitt, and Larry Sanders or Quincy ........you got Babbitt who can stretch the floor and plays the pick and roll to perfection. and then you have Sanders come in when we play the fast tall athletic teams that Blair can't keep up with. Or get Quincy that can play both SG and SF and is athletic.

Then go into second round and draft a PG OR CENTER..OR PF.....

:wtf

MaNu4Tres
05-23-2010, 10:10 PM
:lol

ducks
05-23-2010, 10:25 PM
I think Hill runs the point, he did very well with TP out of the lineup, I also think Pops love the Ball in Manus hands in the half court because Manu is such a creator.

Spurs could also look to sign a vet pg in FA or draft one...pg in our system is not that important all you have to do is advance the ball past half court. And while I love TP he does dominate the ball alot and I think that hurts us at times.

Hey RJ for Iggy and number two I would love it but I dont see much in it for Philly

hill did not run point when tp was out manu did

rayray2k8
05-23-2010, 10:45 PM
:wtf

Maybe for a late 2nd round pick, but he doesn't know what he's talking about...