PDA

View Full Version : Amare's return to Suns unlikely

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-21-2010, 06:40 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/16104/source-amares-%C2%ADreturn-to-suns-unlikely

I guess at this point the damage is done and things aren't gonna get any better between both sides. Oh well, I can't defend Amare's actions and after the last game I can't criticize Sarver and Kerr for being tired of this guy's baggage. I'm just interested in who gets scapegoated a year from now when Phoenix comes up short and the defense still sucks. My guess is Gentry since he'll be in the last year of his deal.

spursfaninla
05-21-2010, 06:48 PM
He is going to a loser if he bolts, and phx is likely not making the playoffs next year.

4>0rings
05-21-2010, 06:51 PM
He's only hurting himself in these playoffs Don't know if he's getting 17mil plus from someone else.

Kai
05-21-2010, 06:52 PM
I foresee Miami if Boozer doesn't beat him to it.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-21-2010, 06:54 PM
If he leaves I just want Phoenix to tank at that point. Thank god they didn't trade their 2011 pick yet. Hopefully they luck into the #1 pick, draft Harrison Barnes, hope he's half as good as Kevin Durant, and just stock pile athletes around him like OKC did with Durant.

easy7
05-21-2010, 06:54 PM
It is not his fault that whoever plays him from the Lakers is getting lucky.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-21-2010, 06:57 PM
Earl Clark
Robin Lopez
Goran Dragic
Jared Dudley

That's by no means your dream group of young players to build from, but it's better than nothing. If they know Amare is gonna leave, try and pry Evan Turner from Philly via J-Rich's expiring. They are in full rebuld mode if he leaves.

Mark in Austin
05-21-2010, 06:58 PM
Amare is not going anywhere, just positioning himself for the biggest extension he can get.

DJ Mbenga
05-21-2010, 09:22 PM
who will be stupid enough to offer the max?

Trainwreck2100
05-21-2010, 09:37 PM
If he leaves I just want Phoenix to tank at that point. Thank god they didn't trade their 2011 pick yet. Hopefully they luck into the #1 pick, draft Harrison Barnes, hope he's half as good as Kevin Durant, and just stock pile athletes around him like OKC did with Durant.

sam presti>>>>>>>>>>>steve kerr

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-21-2010, 09:40 PM
What would Sam Presti be if he wasn't lucky enough to be able to build around Durant?

Lars
05-21-2010, 09:44 PM
I bet the Rox might if Bosh falls through. You never know though.

ChrisRichards
05-21-2010, 09:51 PM
I think he has 4 possible destinations at the moment.

New York

Doubt it. After what D'Antoni said about Amare's effort on defense.

Phoenix

As the OP has stated, the damage is done. I think A'mar'e wants a fresh start.

Chicago

Good destination. Young talent.

Miami

Great weather, no state tax, Wade, Championship winning management.

I think he'll go to Miami.

Giuseppe
05-21-2010, 09:55 PM
Gambo & Snatch had Amare's longtime business manager (Travis) on this afternoon and he flatly denied the story, but, when the question of percentage of probability to Amare staying was put to him, he said it was 50/50. I found that admission surprising to say the least.

Vertical
05-21-2010, 10:54 PM
He is not as good as his pre-ops days...He is not worth the max...but who knows, a mediocre player guy like Rashard Lewis could get it, may some stupid teams can offer him the same deal.

Capt Bringdown
05-21-2010, 11:06 PM
who will be stupid enough to offer the max?

It's inevitable that someone will. It is a league in which Rashard Lewis gets max money after all. Rashard's the highest paid player on the Magic, unbelievable!

TheManFromAcme
05-21-2010, 11:10 PM
It's inevitable that someone will. It is a league in which Rashard Lewis gets max money after all. Rashard's the highest paid player on the Magic, unbelievable!

So true. There isn't a shortage of suckers in the NBA that's for sure.

duncan228
05-22-2010, 11:57 PM
Stoudemire denies the rumors (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/16124/stoudemire-denies-the-rumors)
By Ramona Shelburne
ESPNLosAngeles.com

Suns forward Amare Stoudemire denied a report that he is reluctant to commit to Phoenix long term when he becomes a free agent this summer.

"It's still 50-50 and it's still going to be that way until a decision is made," Stoudemire said after the Suns practice Saturday morning. "I don't know where this guy [ESPN's Chad] Ford is getting his information from, but it's not coming from my agent, my manager or from myself."

Ford asked a source close to Stoudemire whether the talented power forward could re-sign with the Suns in the offseason despite hearing his name in trade rumors each of the past two seasons.

“I don't think it's going to happen," the source told Ford. "Amare feels like the organization disrespected him. Amare loves his teammates and has really enjoyed playing for the team these last few months, but he's reluctant to commit to Phoenix long-term."

When asked Sunday whether hearing his name come up in trade rumors the last two years would factor into his decision this summer, Stoudemire said, "It does factor in, absolutely.

"It's never easy going through trade rumors. It makes you feel somewhat unwanted. But that changed over the past four months or so. It definitely changed. I feel as if things may work out. We've just figure it out this summer, see if it works."

When deals involving Stoudemire collapsed near the trade deadline, Suns general manager Steve Kerr, owner Robert Sarver, Stoudemire's agent Happy Walters and Stoudemire all went out to dinner to patch things up.

The Suns got on a roll at the end of the season, winning 22 of their last 26 games including six straight playoff games coming into the Western Conference Finals, where they now trail the Lakers 0-2 in the best-of-7 series.

Stoudemire said he now believes the Suns tried to trade him for "economic reasons."

"I think it was all economic reasons," he said Sunday. "I think those were pretty much the main reasons why the trade rumors were coming up. It's one of the reasons why we didn't keep Shaq [Shaquille O'Neal]. Just economic reasons."

When asked whether 36-year-old point guard Steve Nash's timetable on retirement will play into his own decision about whether to re-sign with the Suns, Stoudemire said, "I don't know how much longer Steve has to play. He's been playing well up into his older ages, upper ages. Hopefully he goes out on top and we can get a championship for him before he leaves.

"You always want to play with a point guard. He's the quarterback of your team and every team has to have one in order to be successful. Right now we have Steve and when it's all said and done, Steve retires, hopefully Goran [Dragic] can step up and be that next guy for us. He's done a great job for us, we're trying to train him and get him ready for that position."

pauls931
05-23-2010, 07:29 AM
Sounds like he's playing everyone for max money. What damage has been done in pho? Not beatling LA or the trade fiasco mid season where nothing happened? Frankly I hope he stays so they can build around him, Dragic, JRich, and when nash leaves hopefully pick up a good piece. If he leaves and they don't get Dwight howard, blow it up...

Pelicans78
05-23-2010, 08:20 AM
Phoenix will be fine without Amare. They were good enough to make the WCF a few years ago without him. They can use that cap space to acquire some more pieces.

MateoNeygro
05-23-2010, 08:35 AM
I doubt he leaves but if he does he'll probably go where he can make the most money. Winning doesn't seem all that important to the guy. Money is probably #1 priority.

pauls931
05-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Phoenix will be fine without Amare. They were good enough to make the WCF a few years ago without him. They can use that cap space to acquire some more pieces.

That was with a prime nash though. I think teams have figured out the pick and roll these days minimizing his effectiveness in playoff situations. Also granted being dubbed 'lazy' Boris Diaw did help.

dbestpro
05-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Amare will get the max. Too many teams have put themselves in max money territory verses the amount of players.

Max players: James, Bosh, Wade, Amare, Johnson

Teams to offer max deals: Chicago, NY, NJ, Miami, Clippers, Cleveland, and maybe Memphis, OKC

Pelicans78
05-23-2010, 10:47 AM
That was with a prime nash though. I think teams have figured out the pick and roll these days minimizing his effectiveness in playoff situations. Also granted being dubbed 'lazy' Boris Diaw did help.

Debateable because Phoenix has performed very well in the playoffs despite missing Lopez for two series. They were 3rd seed in a tough conference and swept the Spurs which surprised everyone.

Even if Nash is getting older, they still have some good young pieces. Use the cap space to acquire more pieces.

Pelicans78
05-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Amare would be a good fit in NJ unless they decide to draft Favors.

I was Miami, I would make a run at Amare.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-23-2010, 11:00 AM
If Amare leaves, they should trade Nash and J-Rich, all Nash and J-Rich do without Amare is make the Suns a 30-40 win team rather than a team that can compete for a high pick. Regardless of Amare though Barbosa, Frye and Amundson all need to go. Also if it's a sure thing Amare is leaving, then use the cap space to absord Brand's contract and get the #2 pick in the process. Dragic and Evan Turner would be a good young back court to build around.