PDA

View Full Version : Question for you long time job holders.

SourCandy
05-21-2010, 07:30 PM
I been with this company for going on 7 years. Nothing big,just retail. Been my only major job and it's all I know...till I finish school. I haven't been going to school straight up, just off and on for about 4 years. Anyway I was able to move from cashier to upper management and built up vacation. I just learned a week ago the store will be shutting down. I am a full timer and all the full timers thought they would get transfered to other stores. But turns out no. They will move anyone wanting to keep their job to another store but only if they downgrade to part time. With part time comes the pay cut and loss of any built up paid vacation (I have 4 weeks). So that sounds like a dumb move. The only one getting transfered is the store mrg. None of the assistants or anything. The store mgr tried to soften the blow by saying it could change ...positions at other stores could open but nothing for sure. He told me to just stick it out to the end(hard to do when he already has a transfer to another store and is leaving next week) He said just stay and something might open. When word gets out I take it many will leave at the 1st job opening elsewhere.

My question. Should I stay? Am I fool for staying and helping out a company so at the ready to give it's employees the shaft? Especially employees that have been there 10 plus years. I'd really hate to lose my pay and vacation time. But I don't want to look like the fool who sticks around in hopes to land another job and just end up getting layed off.

Advice would be helpful. Smart ass answers will be ignored.

tlongII
05-21-2010, 07:52 PM
I'm not sure what "stay" means? Do you mean stay as a part-timer and automatically lose your vacation? Or do you get cashed out for your vacation and just continue to work there as part-time? As long as you get compensated for the vacation you earned you may as well stay and look for another job. It's always easier to get a job when you already have one. If you can afford to go to school full-time you might consider quitting and doing that too. Just make sure you get paid for the vacation you've earned. I don't think they can legally keep from paying you.

boutons_deux
05-21-2010, 08:05 PM
"Am I fool for staying and helping out a company so at the ready to give it's employees the shaft"

Companies don't give a shit about employees, they are costs to be minimize. The bigger the company, the less they care.

Sounds like there's nothing to stay for. Going to another store and starting low down the ladder and part-time would take years to move up again.

Start looking around right away. Long-term unemployment is it's highest rate in many decades. 6 job seekers for every job offered.

thedong
05-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Sour Candy, you look like a crack whore-ish, you're exactly my type. IW2FU, fb 4 fb???

50Bestspurever
05-21-2010, 10:56 PM
Do whatever is best for you. The hell with your company.

Blake
05-21-2010, 11:12 PM
But I don't want to look like the fool who sticks around in hopes to land another job and just end up getting layed off.

If you get laid off because of downsizing, you would actually be better off collecting the unemployment checks than working part time.

my advice in the end would be if possible, move back in with mom or dad, finish a degree in something somewhat specific and get the hell out of retail.

PM5K
05-22-2010, 12:09 AM
This is not the places that are closing September 1st is it?

Fat Bones
05-22-2010, 12:37 AM
You could always use your vacation to find another job. Regardless of the economic times, there is always room for a reliable, competent, and motivated employee somewhere. There certainly is no shortage of employed lazy slobs, gross incompetence, and carelessness. It shouldn't take two weeks to find another retail opening around San Antonio, if that's where your from. Or try something different, maybe waitressing downtown. Whatever you do, try to stay positive, stay in school and get your degree. Good luck.

Stringer_Bell
05-22-2010, 09:05 AM
If you can use paid vacation time to find a new job, that'd be your best bet. 7 years in retail is not something you want to continue if you're halfway done with a good degree, get it done asap because loyalty will not give you back your youth.

I'm not sure what unemployment checks are worth, but maybe there's a way to take vacation then get laid off and collect unemployment? Sacrifice until you finish your degree (live with family or find a rich temporary boyfriend) then take on the world yo.

Oh, Gee!!
05-22-2010, 11:55 PM
quit now and get your vacation time paid out to you.

Frenzy
05-23-2010, 01:45 AM
Do whatever is best for you. The hell with your company.

Big Business cares nothing for the little guy.

Wild Cobra
05-23-2010, 10:37 AM
My question. Should I stay? Am I fool for staying and helping out a company so at the ready to give it's employees the shaft? Especially employees that have been there 10 plus years. I'd really hate to lose my pay and vacation time. But I don't want to look like the fool who sticks around in hopes to land another job and just end up getting layed off.

It's hard to say, especially not knowing the character of the company.

I don't know the law where you live, but I think in most places, they must pay you accumulated vacation time. I don't think they can get around that.

Life's a gamble. If you can prove you were a valued employee, above others, maybe you can negotiate a better deal for yourself. Otherwise, it isn't fair to try to take someone else's established position.

If you get laid off because of downsizing, you would actually be better off collecting the unemployment checks than working part time.
That's not necessarily true. Depends on the wages, what the unemployment will be, and the part time hours. Last time I was laid off, max unemployment benefits were about $1000 less a week than my pay. Part time at 11.4 hours a week would have matched my unemployment benefits then.

Duff McCartney
05-23-2010, 11:40 AM
I really don't think they can take your earned vacation time away from you. Period. They can either let you take it, or they must pay you for it. There is no way around that.

I would personally bail on the company. Businesses show no loyalty to anyone anyway, why should you show them any? You worked 7 years and I'm guessing you weren't a dirtbag employee.

You gave them your time and skills, and you were good at it. There's no reason for you to remain loyal to them for not appreciating and seeing that by giving you the shaft.

Trainwreck2100
05-23-2010, 02:31 PM
I assume your loyalty is to your store and not to your company. But you have to bail, if it's a company like mine you'll take a pay cut and still be expected to do some managerial level work since you know it. First thing I'd do is hit up the unemployment office and try to make my company pay for me to sit on my ass. Also don't sign anything from them when you're let go without reading it.

ploto
05-23-2010, 03:32 PM
As far as I know, the state of Texas does not require your employer to pay you for unused vacation unless your company has that policy in writing.

I would use my vacation time to look for a new job. Surely, you will have to start over, but it is better to do that than to stay with a place that is going under. If somehow they keep you on, you will be left with half the people doing twice the work.

Good luck.

ploto
05-23-2010, 03:34 PM
I don't know the law where you live, but I think in most places, they must pay you accumulated vacation time. I don't think they can get around that.

Not in Texas.

CosmicCowboy
05-24-2010, 10:11 AM
"use it or lose it" is quite common on vacation time.

tlongII
05-24-2010, 10:25 AM
"use it or lose it" is quite common on vacation time.

That sucks. I can accrue up to 360 hours and I will never lose this amount. The company would have to pay me for it if I left.

CubanMustGo
05-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Most states allow companies to take away vacation time at will. My firm, a very profitable Fortune 100 company, just took it away from everyone in the US except those few states which prohibit it (I think CA, NE, MT). You can (in theory) take the time off during the year, but if you don't, it goes away, and there's no pay in your final paycheck representing what you didn't take should you leave for whatever reason.

tlongII
05-24-2010, 10:56 AM
Most states allow companies to take away vacation time at will. My firm, a very profitable Fortune 100 company, just took it away from everyone in the US except those few states which prohibit it (I think CA, NE, MT). You can (in theory) take the time off during the year, but if you don't, it goes away, and there's no pay in your final paycheck representing what you didn't take should you leave for whatever reason.

Yep, you're right. It depends on company policy.

Blake
05-24-2010, 11:01 AM
That's not necessarily true. Depends on the wages, what the unemployment will be, and the part time hours. Last time I was laid off, max unemployment benefits were about $1000 less a week than my pay. Part time at 11.4 hours a week would have matched my unemployment benefits then.

I'm going off him/her working retail. I can't imagine the pay being great enough to that big of a difference to where working part time is really that much greater than taking the unemployment checks for 6 months.

Regardless, best long term solution if possible, again, move back in with mom and/or dad/relative/whoever and finish your degree in something specific and get the hell out of retail.

If you already are living with mom/dad, then you have no business working full time retail if you want to finish school. Just go to school full time.

RandomGuy
05-24-2010, 11:56 AM
I been with this company for going on 7 years. Nothing big,just retail. Been my only major job and it's all I know...till I finish school. I haven't been going to school straight up, just off and on for about 4 years. Anyway I was able to move from cashier to upper management and built up vacation. I just learned a week ago the store will be shutting down. I am a full timer and all the full timers thought they would get transfered to other stores. But turns out no. They will move anyone wanting to keep their job to another store but only if they downgrade to part time. With part time comes the pay cut and loss of any built up paid vacation (I have 4 weeks). So that sounds like a dumb move. The only one getting transfered is the store mrg. None of the assistants or anything. The store mgr tried to soften the blow by saying it could change ...positions at other stores could open but nothing for sure. He told me to just stick it out to the end(hard to do when he already has a transfer to another store and is leaving next week) He said just stay and something might open. When word gets out I take it many will leave at the 1st job opening elsewhere.

Advice would be helpful. Smart ass answers will be ignored.

My dad worked retail most of his adult life. I would rather drive nails through my hand than make a career in that, as I saw the long hours he worked, only to be ultimately thrown away with little thought, just as you are being thrown away.

He ended up with no computer skills and VERY VERY limited job prospects, as he was really tired of the long hours.

Managers typically work a LOT of unpaid overtime, and if you sit down and do the math, that often translates into barely above minimum wage.

Take the cash from the vacation pay, leave and find something with time flexibility and finish college. Take something hard that others don't want to do, such as being an actuary (actuaries have THE highest job satisfaction ratings, if you can hang with the complex math). Anything in science and engineering would be just about as good.

Make use of the college career services office well before graduating.

Good luck and avoid retail, as it is a contracting sector of the economy. There is some good data that suggests we have way "overbuilt" retail capacity, and clinging to a shrinking sector of the economy is not a good way to ensure one's future. Look to the horizon.

SourCandy
05-24-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm going off him/her working retail. I can't imagine the pay being great enough to that big of a difference to where working part time is really that much greater than taking the unemployment checks for 6 months.

Regardless, best long term solution if possible, again, move back in with mom and/or dad/relative/whoever and finish your degree in something specific and get the hell out of retail.

If you already are living with mom/dad, then you have no business working full time retail if you want to finish school. Just go to school full time.
if only it was that easy. Been on my own since I was 17. Work and school full time.

Takes longer cause I have had issues. Has not been clear sailing. I don't plan to stay in retail since I got a little more school to go. But it's not that bad,just depends what company you work for.

Anywho, thanks for all the responses guys

Blake
05-24-2010, 02:26 PM
if only it was that easy. Been on my own since I was 17. Work and school full time.

Takes longer cause I have had issues. Has not been clear sailing. I don't plan to stay in retail since I got a little more school to go. But it's not that bad,just depends what company you work for.

Anywho, thanks for all the responses guys

yeah, retail (at least at the store level) is that bad, no matter what company your work for, imo.

good luck.

Sportcamper
05-24-2010, 02:33 PM
Employers all over the U.S. are doing this to employees…Lay people off, hire them back part time, avoid paying health insurance, sick leave, family leave & vacation time…

My advice is to Keep your job…Keep working, suck up to management & act happy…But constantly look for better opportunities…

Mark in Austin
05-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Regardless of if you quit or take the demotion, it sound like time to take your vacation.