PDA

View Full Version : WTF With WOAI

ladiesman
05-11-2005, 01:40 PM
Driving in this morning(around 7:00) I heard the weather followed by the following plug:

"An infection kills people in Houston, now 100's are infected here in SA. More at 10:00" WTF?

If it is something serious(people infected and dying), why not tell us right on the spot?

Gatita
05-11-2005, 01:56 PM
They love to string us along so we can find out it is nothing major. But then again, who knows.

2Blonde
05-11-2005, 02:17 PM
It's usually something like "They are infected with Strep Throat"
BFD

...2Blonde

N.Y. Johnny
05-11-2005, 05:11 PM
fuckin Local news are amazing...WOAI is the worst at this kinda stuff

i like catching KENS 5 though, there's no telling when i can tune in and watch ZStomp combing around a freshly Robbed EXXON or SHELL STation somewhere in town :lol

Faccia di Angelo
05-11-2005, 05:25 PM
fuckin Local news are amazing...WOAI is the worst at this kinda stuff

i like catching KENS 5 though, there's no telling when i can tune in and watch ZStomp combing around a freshly Robbed EXXON or SHELL STation somewhere in town :lol
lol no kidding, I see him on the news all the time! He's a local celebrity! :wow

SequSpur
05-11-2005, 10:18 PM
WOAI has never been good. There newscast is stupid.

AlamoSpursFan
05-11-2005, 10:21 PM
Driving in this morning(around 7:00) I heard the weather followed by the following plug:

"An infection kills people in Houston, now 100's are infected here in SA. More at 10:00" WTF?

If it is something serious(people infected and dying), why not tell us right on the spot?

"Ya know what else I'm sick of? These news journalists...they come on TV and say things like 'Learn how to protect yourself, tonight at 10' What if somethin' happened to me at like 7:30, 8 o'clock?" -- Larry The Cable Guy, Lord...I Apologize

JeffCoyle
05-24-2006, 10:21 AM
Foofida,

Did you ever watch the story? Or did you make your conclusions based solely on a 10 second promo?

The report was based on a National Institutes of Health (NIH) study that found the part of the human brain that weighs risks and makes decisions isn't fully developed until age 25. Senators and Congressman have used the study as justification for raising the driving age. The study was also reported on by numerous media outlets including NBC News and the Washington Post.

Now why exactly is that a reason not to watch WOAI-TV?

Jeff

Vashner
05-24-2006, 10:40 AM
It just sounded like something a news producer would wright.. not something the reporter came up with.

It was bait.. i'll agree this one was not done properly. Considering the bird flu is around the corner. Email teh beamer to complain.

BTW ... I recommend people have at least a box or more of N95 masks lol.
Because once the run is one it will be hard to find them.

Kori Ellis
05-24-2006, 01:35 PM
Foofida,

Did you ever watch the story? Or did you make your conclusions based solely on a 10 second promo?

The report was based on a National Institutes of Health (NIH) study that found the part of the human brain that weighs risks and makes decisions isn't fully developed until age 25. Senators and Congressman have used the study as justification for raising the driving age. The study was also reported on by numerous media outlets including NBC News and the Washington Post.

Jeff

Hi Jeff.

:)

ShoogarBear
05-24-2006, 02:40 PM
Foofida,

Jeff

I'll tell you the problem I have with it, assuming this is an accurate quotation:

Jeff Coyle discovers that drinking and speeding may not be the only problem, it may be their brains. WOAI investigates, tomorrow at 10.

Exactly what did you "discover" and "investigate", as opposed to passing on information that the NIH "discovered" and was being passed on by other media outlets?

Second, you ask if he made his conclusions based on a 10 second promo. Isn't the point of the 10 second promo to make someone decide to watch? If someone decided to watch something based on the promo, that's a good thing, but if someone decides NOT to watch (maybe because they thought their intelligence was being insulted) then that's unfair?

And a little off topic, but in this case I would also be curious to know if anyone pressed the same Congressmen who want to raise the driving age if they also wanted to raise the age before you can serve in the military. If they can't be trusted to drive, then how can they be trusted to operate deadly weapons and defend our country?

BTW, I haven't lived in SA for over 25 years, so I have no ax to grind against any particular station.

ObiwanGinobili
05-24-2006, 03:06 PM
I'll tell you the problem I have with it, assuming this is an accurate quotation:

Exactly what did you "discover" and "investigate", as opposed to passing on information that the NIH "discovered" and was being passed on by other media outlets?

Second, you ask if he made his conclusions based on a 10 second promo. Isn't the point of the 10 second promo to make someone decide to watch? If someone decided to watch something based on the promo, that's a good thing, but if someone decides NOT to watch (maybe because they thought their intelligence was being insulted) then that's unfair?

And a little off topic, but in this case I would also be curious to know if anyone pressed the same Congressmen who want to raise the driving age if they also wanted to raise the age before you can serve in the military. If they can't be trusted to drive, then how can they be trusted to operate deadly weapons and defend our country?

BTW, I haven't lived in SA for over 25 years, so I have no ax to grind against any particular station.

May be a little off topic but you raise a valid point - you never see anyone raise those types of questions.
Ok - maybe Stephen Colbert , but he doesn't count.

Also, as far as 10 sec. News Promos go..... WOAI, KENS and KSAT are just about dead even in the race to scare the shit out of you so you'll stay tuned at 6 or 10.
It's incredible. EVERYTHING is a pahetic over exaggeration. EX: if there is a story "warning" us about "x" and the possible side efects/outcomes range from 1-5 with the vast majority being on the low end.. say 2.. ofcourse in the promo the 5 possiblity will be highlighted.

Sometimes WOAI is way over the top, but atleast they are not Catholic news heavy like KENS. Sometimes I swear KENS is the San Antonio Catholic Church Bulletin. Maybe thats just me.

PeterBurns
05-24-2006, 03:16 PM
METEOR HITTING IN 10 Minutes.

More on this topic tomorrow morning, on the Living Show!

ObiwanGinobili
05-24-2006, 03:18 PM
:lmao

ShoogarBear
05-24-2006, 03:19 PM
May be a little off topic but you raise a valid point - you never see anyone raise those types of questions.
To me those types are questions are what separate "investigative" reporting from everything else.

Ok - maybe Stephen Colbert , but he doesn't count.

Sadly, in a lot of ways he makes you think more about what's really going on than the "real" news shows.

katyon6th
05-24-2006, 03:59 PM
The only news I watch is The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

mouse
05-24-2006, 04:02 PM
The bottom-line , your pork skin eating ass was right on the couch at 10:00pm to see what it was all about.

So it worked and when something works? how can you argue with success?

I saw Brett Humes or what ever his name is on FOX news last month talking about this 911 call "you got to hear" coming up next on Fox new. Then the show came back on and he talked to Henry Kissinger for about 8 minutes then he said.. "Next up a 911 call your not going to want to miss!" each time they said that you could hear the call in the background, Then the show came back on and he spoke with some other man about Oil prices. Then he went to another station break and do I have to tell you what he said? This went on until 4 minutes left on the show and he played the 911 tape and it was what you heard in the promo already and it was barely 25 seconds long. To think I kept from going to the restroom for 55 minutes so I wouldn't miss this 911 call and even pissed in an empty Gator-aid container ......................

Talk about feeling like a...........

http://literally.barelyfitz.com/wp-content/jackass.jpg

T-Pain
05-24-2006, 04:05 PM
It was some wierd skin infection.

Here's how to prevent this infection......clean and cover wounds. Also, don't share towels. So basically, don't be a retard.
is that the one where people sweat black sweat and is uncurable?

Vashner
05-24-2006, 04:16 PM
No that's ebola.

Ocotillo
05-24-2006, 06:54 PM
Regarding WOAI TV:

Why do friggin' promos during the news. I just had it on and the troubleshooters or whatever they call themselves have a report on children on wanted posters, they put a bunch out of a producer's son and then sent the kid out to play in a park with the posters up. You have to tune in at 10 to see the story even though you have the 6:00 news on.

Then they go to some fluff crap with Joe Pags asking people in downtown SA who should win American Idol. Great hard hitting news there losers.

Then Tanji Patton comes on and says she got an interview with Joel Osteen. That caught my attention but wait, she isn't going to show the tape, you have to tune in at 10:00 for that.

WTF? is the 6:00 news not really news but an infomercial for the 10:00 news?

JeffCoyle
06-27-2006, 02:04 PM

That's a good point. I did not conduct the study of teen brains; I reported the results to viewers in San Antonio. I agree the language used in the promo was overdone. As you've noted, the point of a promo is to draw the viewer in. Our promotional writers use the language that they believe will most resonate with viewers. Obviously it didn't, in your case.

By the way, that story was a sidebar to an original investigation I did on the Parent Taught Drivers Ed program in Texas. Our state may be the only one in the nation that allows parents to sign a document affirming their child has completed drivers education (as opposed to submitting a certified drivers ed document) and waive the DPS driving test (remember when you had to parallel park, etc. with a trooper in the car?) Since the program was implemented in the 90's, the rate of teen accidents has gone up some 128%. Now, the federal government is investigating.

That was a story in which I "discovered" the information through my "investigation." Viewers who saw the promo for part two didn't have the full context of the series.

Jeff

Das Texan
06-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Foofida,

Jeff

because yall's news is crap.

yall want to run with sensationalism.

your weather is garbage.

T Park
06-27-2006, 02:22 PM
because yall's news is crap.

yall want to run with sensationalism.

your weather is garbage.

well now thats a well written response......

CrazyOne
06-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Jeff, you're getting too close with that last comment about driver's ed... we did that with our daughter (she's now 20). I don't recall if we taught her how to parallel park, but we did make sure we were satisfied that she knew how to drive well. However, we may have fudged a little on some of the technical details of the program... (spank me, I'm a bad boy).

But she's been driving for three years now, going back and forth to Dallas (where she goes to school) quite frequently with nothing more than a couple speeding tickets. So we've managed to dodge the bullet. You are right to be concerned, that program is ripe for abuse.

Your weather isn't garbage... it's just a lot of hot air like everybody else in Texas right now. (ok, you can grimace at the poorly done pun all you want - to me it's funny.)

Actually, the voices told me to write that.

No we didn't. We told you to write something humorous. Don't blame your miserable failures on us again. Now go back to your bathtub and play with your hairdryer.

AlamoSpursFan
06-27-2006, 02:37 PM
I'll watch WOAI news when they hire Mrs. Beamer. Until then I'll watch her on KSAT.

:lol

Das Texan
06-27-2006, 02:40 PM
well now thats a well written response......

short and to the point.

i could go into a long disseration, but why bother?

its woai, they like the 'blurbs'

ShoogarBear
06-27-2006, 04:42 PM
I didn't know that about Drivers' Ed. That's absolutely terrible; how do they justify that?

JeffCoyle
06-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Jeff, you're getting too close with that last comment about driver's ed... we did that with our daughter (she's now 20). I don't recall if we taught her how to parallel park, but we did make sure we were satisfied that she knew how to drive well. However, we may have fudged a little on some of the technical details of the program... (spank me, I'm a bad boy).[/i]

CrazyOne,

Thanks for the well-written response. Don't get me wrong: I think there are many parents who can teach drivers ed better than a commercial teacher who doesn't know your kid as well as you do. We had an example in the story of a mother/daughter who were diligently going through every chapter in the drivers ed manuals. But it's not beyond the stretch of imagination that there are some parents who will simply "sign off" on the form.

Either way, the story wasn't about my opinion. It was focused on two facts: that accidents rates had shot up and that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration had commissioned a review of Texas' program.

I appreciate the opportunity to discuss with you.

Jeff

2Blonde
06-27-2006, 05:08 PM
I didn't know that about Drivers' Ed. That's absolutely terrible; how do they justify that?
I wondered that myself. I went to their website last week because I wanted to look up a Texas driving law and couldn't find the manual online, *but found out the parents could teach drivers ed by writing away for a kit and promising to study for 32 hours before teaching their kid how to drive. Also it said they can begin the instruction when the child is 14. The child get a permit after they are 15 and a license after they are 16 or 6 months after they receive their permit, which ever is later. NO FRIGGIN WAY!!! I think my daughter may need to go through 2 official driver's ed courses before I let her get a permit. And I think 15 is too young to be out on the road in a city this big.

*I reserve the right to be slightly wrong on some of these facts since it was last week when I looked at the website. But I am pretty sure I got it right. :spin

JeffCoyle
06-27-2006, 05:13 PM

There were several factors at play. First, most school district dropped drivers ed from their curriculums due to budget cuts. Only NEISD still teaches it in San Antonio. That left parents with only one option, really: commercial driving school. At $300/course, this option might not be affordable for everyone. Second, the vast majority of teens passed the DPS driving test, so the legislature figured it wasn't very useful. Third, this was all tied in to the move to allow parents to home school children in Texas. The home school groups also wanted the right to teach their kids to drive. The legislature decided if they were going to allow some to teach their own children to drive, they had to let everyone. Now, the largest percentage of drivers ed certification forms are issued to parents, not drivers ed instructors.

Jeff

ShoogarBear
06-27-2006, 05:14 PM
Yes, there may be some parents who can do an adequate job of teaching their children how to drive. That doesn't absolve the state of the responsibility of testing the kids before they grant a state-approved liscense.

I'm suprised there hasn't been a huge lawsuit against the state of Texas after some kid they gave a license to based on the parents' say-so seriously hurt someone (or worse) in an accident.

Cool, maybe we can try this system for granting pilots' licenses next.

CharlieMac
06-27-2006, 05:22 PM
foofida got owned.

I did watch that report by the way. I don't remember it now though.

travis2
06-28-2006, 06:31 AM
Interesting story about drivers ed...

My wife and I taught our oldest through the "parent-teach" program. However, we DID NOT WAIVE the drivers test. Not only did we want an outside check of how we did, but we told her "hey...we had to survive the test, so do you"...:lol

However...BECAUSE we had her take the test...the lady behind the counter told us "OK, your test is at 3...when you come back, DO NOT stand in line, come straight here." Then after she took the test, she told us, "OK, now stand in THAT LINE there. Do NOT take a number." She later told me that she does that for people who go through the test...for "parent waivers" she makes them take a number and spend all that time waiting. :lol

JeffCoyle
06-28-2006, 08:22 AM
Wow. Very interesting. They must figure you deserve the special treatment for making sure your teen is ready. Thanks for sharing.

SA210
06-28-2006, 09:10 AM
The Troubleshooters are usually too busy going after mom and pop businesses.

PakiDan
06-28-2006, 01:32 PM
Foofida,

Jeff

Well Jeff,

The person who wrote that Tag should be shot. Where do you all hire from?? the Mail Order school of Journalism?