PDA

View Full Version : if the Spurs trade Splitter for a pick...

mingus
05-22-2010, 12:17 AM
the financial burden of Splitter could cause the Spurs to once again not bring in a guy to be a very good and much needed big. but if they trade him for a draft pick they'd be paying the pick on a rookie contract, which would work out better financially. for Splitter, the team they would trade him to will have the money to bring him over. but before money becomes a question, talent does. so where does Splitter stack up in talent to this draft? what kind of offer can Splitter fetch in terms of a draft pick? i've never seen the guy play.

BadMotorscooter
05-22-2010, 12:20 AM
Spurs learned their lesson giving up on an over seas player and trading him for peanuts(2nd round draft pick) in Luis Scola. It wont happen again. No way the Spurs trade Splitter for a draft pick.

mingus
05-22-2010, 12:30 AM
Scola's success, i think, would up the offers of the hypothetical teams looking to offer a pick to the Spurs for Splitter.

BadMotorscooter
05-22-2010, 12:33 AM
You would think so, but it wouldnt play out like that. The team that traded for him would give a 2nd rounder. Because there still isnt a gaurantee that he comes over here and they dont know what they are getting and if he can play in the NBA. It'd be a 2nd round pick if we traded him....but we wont.

mingus
05-22-2010, 12:39 AM
it's not for certain whether or not he will come over, but the only thing that seems to be a factor in his decision is $, which the Spurs may not be willing to offer him. it would be close to certain he would come over if he was offered the 5-6 mil he's worth. didn't he say he would only leave his league for the NBA. i thought i read that in an interview a while back. if it turns out to be the case (down the road, closer to the draft date) that money will be the only factor in his decision to come to the NBA, teams would definitely be willing to trade mare than a 2nd rounder for him. it would be stupid not to.

mingus
05-22-2010, 12:42 AM
obviously, the Spurs may not have much leverage to deal him for a good pick if they flat out won't pay him the money, but a pick is better than no player. even if it's a late first rounder - as long as he's not being shipped to a contender or anything.

BackHome
05-22-2010, 11:49 AM
I see Tiago comming over the Euro is getting killed and may not even exist in the next few months. Also with Greece economy being flushed down the toilet look at the same thing happeniing to Spain they are a few months at most from dealing with their housing bubble collapse that is going to have a HUGE effect on their economy!

kobyz
05-22-2010, 12:03 PM
trading Splitter for a pick in the 10-16 range would be very interesting idea, this way we could also draft a very good player and will still remain for us the MLE!

rascal
05-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Package Splitter and the 20th pick to get a top pick. Thats if the spurs don't want to pay to get him.

But with the uncertainty if he is even playing in the NBA Splitter doesn't have all that much trade value.

honestfool84
05-22-2010, 12:19 PM
personally i'd rather have an experienced big than a college-aged rookie.

Ditty
05-22-2010, 12:46 PM
trading Splitter for a pick in the 10-16 range would be very interesting idea, this way we could also draft a very good player and will still remain for us the MLE!

that would be nice and getting daniel orton but the team that gets spliiter must be sold that he would go to that team first and be able to help the other team out

ffadicted
05-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Spurs learned their lesson giving up on an over seas player and trading him for peanuts(2nd round draft pick) in Luis Scola. It wont happen again. No way the Spurs trade Splitter for a draft pick.

This, but I have a feeling they would ship him and other pieces for someone like Favors. I do think they stay pat and do their best to get him here though

NFGIII
05-22-2010, 01:43 PM
If they trade Splitter and the #20 for a top pick then they will get someone like Favors. So the Spurs just traded an experienced big for a total rookie. Though it may be the EuroLeague I would stack his team up against any college team now. Even if Favors is a phenom it will take several years for him to be at the level to really contribute to this team. By then TD has retired or is a shell of his former self and the Spurs have just wasted any opportunity of getting TD his 5th ring. That doesn't make sense to me.

Bring in Splitter, draft a SF at #20, shop for some cheap vets, maybe a GM has a brain fart and takes RJ off our hands (don't count on it) for an experienced and serviceable wing + pick(s)/cash and let some of the youngsters compete for a couple of slots in TC.

This team is at the point of adding a few pieces and then competing for a title. Trading Splitter and drafting high is basically admitting that it's over and the Spurs are in the rebuilding mode. If so then encourage RJ to walk - that is opt out, trade Manu, TP and ask TD if he wants to go to another team for a ring. Essentially turn this team into another version of the Thunder by compiling numerous draft picks and moving the older players to make room for the yonger ones.

mingus
05-22-2010, 02:46 PM

you've missed the entire premises of this thread, bud. i'd rather have splitter, too. but that's not what this thread is about.

PBEEZY
05-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Splitter will accept half the MLE and he will like it

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Here, let me help:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124679

spurs1990
05-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Spurs please stop drafting these foreign assholes.

Please.

ducks
05-22-2010, 11:12 PM
trading splitter for the number 2 pick would be smart dumbasses

Blackjack
05-22-2010, 11:24 PM
manu fouled dirk dumbasses

FIFY :toast

MateoNeygro
05-23-2010, 07:04 AM
Splitter better come over or I'm going to be angry and you wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Kindergarten Cop
05-23-2010, 08:02 AM

Please.

Manu Ginobili? Tony Parker?

Supreme_Being
05-23-2010, 08:24 AM

Please.

stfu kthxby

my2sons
05-23-2010, 11:38 AM

Please.

must be in favor of the arizona laws...jk

widowmaker
05-23-2010, 12:27 PM

What's it gonna matter if they trade splitter for a pick between the 10-16 pick? Who ever that player may be will still be a rookie and will not see much playing time based on how pop runs this team.:bang

gospursgojas
05-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Manu Ginobili? Tony Parker?

Robertas javtokas
Victor sandezke
Beno udrih
Ian mahinmi

Sisk
05-23-2010, 03:07 PM

This.

Duncan isn't getting any younger.

I <3 SPURS
05-23-2010, 04:23 PM
The only pick I would trade Splitter for is one of the 1st 4 picks, that way we have a chance of drafting Wall, Favors, etc. Trading him for the 1st or the 2nd is probably never gonna happen so possibly trade him to New Jersey or Minnesota and then draft a guy like Favors.

arodz
05-25-2010, 12:31 AM

You mean like last year, when we drafted Blair...and year before Hill and Hairston?

Dumbass

ynh
05-25-2010, 12:58 AM
The only pick I would trade Splitter for is one of the 1st 4 picks, that way we have a chance of drafting Wall, Favors, etc. Trading him for the 1st or the 2nd is probably never gonna happen so possibly trade him to New Jersey or Minnesota and then draft a guy like Favors.

Yea.. You're not going to get a top two pick for some older guy stuck in Europe but I'm sure you will get the third or fourth pick. While you are at it why don't you guys trade Matt Boner for a pick around 7-10.. Maybe my team would take that? It would be a swell trade for the both of us.

I love trade threads.. they just show you how delusional people are in the value of their favorite teams assets and what it would fetch.. and how eager some other team is wanting those "assets" that you don't want where they will throw top picks out for it.

But hey.. maybe you're right.. maybe Minny would like to make enough trades where eveyone on their roster is over in Europe instead of state side.:sleep

cantthinkofanything
05-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Robertas javtokas
Victor sandezke
Beno udrih
Ian mahinmi

Mengke Bateer

cantthinkofanything
05-25-2010, 12:30 PM
why don't you guys trade Matt Boner for a pick around 7-10

This is dumb. There is now way anyone would trade a first round pick for Bonner. Do you even watch the games? Bonner has almost 0 trade value. You might be able to trade Bonner for Roger Mason Jr. But he is already on the team.

iManu
05-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Mengke Bateer

:nope

kaji157
05-25-2010, 10:05 PM
I canīt believe soem here are argueing this, Splitter would be one of the best bigs if not the best in this years draft if he had no contract in europe entering this draft.
You are talking about a Top2 C in europe, players that made that cut are Bargnani, Scola, the Gasol brothers.
Marcin Gortat, being bigger, didnīt have the accomplishments Splitter had in Europe. The problem is that he is brazilian meaning he is not very commited to groups, but in his defense he is one of the few brazilian players that have shown commitment in the Fiba americas championships.
I donīt think the Spurs are really aware of the player they have, yes, he is not Luis Scola, nor half of what he has been on europe, yet, having half Scola for 3 millions wouldnīt be bad.
I bet Houston will happily give you their 14th pick for him.

Mel_13
05-25-2010, 10:06 PM
I canīt believe soem here are argueing this, Splitter would be one of the best bigs if not the best in this years draft if he had no contract in europe entering this draft.
You are talking about a Top2 C in europe, players that made that cut are Bargnani, Scola, the Gasol brothers.
Marcin Gortat, being bigger, didnīt have the accomplishments Splitter had in Europe. The problem is that he is brazilian meaning he is not very commited to groups, but in his defense he is one of the few brazilian players that have shown commitment in the Fiba americas championships.
I donīt think the Spurs are really aware of the player they have, yes, he is not Luis Scola, nor half of what he has been on europe, yet, having half Scola for 3 millions wouldnīt be bad.
I bet Houston will happily give you their 14th pick for him.

:rolleyes

rayray2k8
05-25-2010, 11:39 PM
:rolleyes

You actually understood what he was saying?? Can someone translate what the guy was saying?

Mel_13
05-26-2010, 07:15 AM
You actually understood what he was saying?? Can someone translate what the guy was saying?

:lol

He said Splitter is really good. As good or better than any big available in this year's draft. Yet somehow the Spurs aren't aware how good he is.

Confusing.

Agloco
05-26-2010, 09:35 AM
Yea.. You're not going to get a top two pick for some older guy stuck in Europe but I'm sure you will get the third or fourth pick. While you are at it why don't you guys trade Matt Boner for a pick around 7-10.. Maybe my team would take that? It would be a swell trade for the both of us.

I love trade threads.. they just show you how delusional people are in the value of their favorite teams assets and what it would fetch.. and how eager some other team is wanting those "assets" that you don't want where they will throw top picks out for it.

But hey.. maybe you're right.. maybe Minny would like to make enough trades where eveyone on their roster is over in Europe instead of state side.:sleep

This is dumb. There is now way anyone would trade a first round pick for Bonner. Do you even watch the games? Bonner has almost 0 trade value. You might be able to trade Bonner for Roger Mason Jr. But he is already on the team.

Red - LOL....someones sarcasm meter is broken.

Green - How old is Splitter again? I've got him at 25.

ynh
05-28-2010, 02:48 AM
Red - LOL....someones sarcasm meter is broken.

Green - How old is Splitter again? I've got him at 25.

I have not seen Splitter play.. But unless he is all world I have a very hard time seeing someone giving up a chance to get Turner, Favors, and Cousins who are 19-21 I think.. That is why I brought up age.. 25 year old big compared to a 19-21 year old big is a big difference.

Honestly even with the pistons pick I would be pissed if we traded it for Splitter instead of taking Ed Davis, Uduk (bad spelling on that last name), or Monroe.. Though I will say even though I haven't seen Splitter play I would definitly throwthe pick to you if the only big we had left to pick was the Kansas white boy (whose name for some reason just escaped me).

Just from an outsiders view perhaps you can get something around 15 or so.. but I really don't see you getting a top 14 pick in this draft for him

05-28-2010, 02:56 AM
i thought this was ridiculous at first but then i gave it more thought. since splitter will take up the majority of the MLE, he will practically be the only big addition to the spurs next year. this is not enough. thus, if splitter is traded for a top 10 pick, then things can get a little more interesting. just to throw out a name with no research on availability whatsoever, the spurs offered a contract to Bouroussis last summer, who is a three point shooting big. a top ten pick plus a solid free agent pick up, ideally a relatively young big, would strengthen the spurs and its bench.

Chieflion
05-28-2010, 03:29 AM
i thought this was ridiculous at first but then i gave it more thought. since splitter will take up the majority of the MLE, he will practically be the only big addition to the spurs next year. this is not enough. thus, if splitter is traded for a top 10 pick, then things can get a little more interesting. just to throw out a name with no research on availability whatsoever, the spurs offered a contract to Bouroussis last summer, who is a three point shooting big. a top ten pick plus a solid free agent pick up, ideally a relatively young big, would strengthen the spurs and its bench.

In before KBP.

FeZZy
05-28-2010, 04:22 AM
:lmao

DaBears
05-28-2010, 01:41 PM
maybe possible trade to move up in the draft, for the spurs getting 10-15 pick would not be bad and for those picks you would not have to give up much.. Possible trade involving Bonner and 20th pick in the draft, inroder to move up to the 10-15 pick might be possible.

That way you can keep Splitter option on the table..

If you could pull that off getting 10-15 pick in draft and lucky enough to lure Splitter here i'd say you had a heck of an off season...

ChumpDumper
05-28-2010, 01:43 PM
Possible trade involving Bonner and 20th pick in the draft, inroder to move up to the 10-15 pick might be possible.1) Not possible.

2) Which GM would do that trade?