PDA

View Full Version : Some cool words from Pop

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-22-2010, 09:27 AM
From an SI article by Ian Thomsen:

The reward

You can't tell for certain which players are focused on winning championships until they've won them.

"Those are the Michaels and the Kobes and the Shaqs and the Duncans and the Ginobilis and all the people who have been there,'' Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "You have to have that attitude to get there because it's hard as hell to win it, a championship. And you know who knows it the most is the people who have been there.''

I asked whether he finds himself obsessing on the four championships his teams have won or those they've failed to win.

"You're a bad, bad person," he scolded for asking. "When the thoughts go through your head, when you're laying in bed at night or you're on an airplane, the things that drift in there more than the wins are the ones you think you gave away."

It says something about your focus, I told him.

"It says you're sick," Popovich said, smiling. "It says you're an immature child and you can't appreciate what you should appreciate in life. It says you should mature a little bit more. And you can write that."

But when you're retired and no longer trying to win every year, I said, then you'll appreciate the good work for what it was.

"Yeah, that's true," he said. "You know what I'm looking forward to? When I do walk away, for the first time I'm going to watch the tapes of those Finals games. I'm going to read some of the articles about the players and the team and all that, because I haven't read a one or watched the films -- unless I'm sitting there and they put on ESPN Classic or whatever it's called, so if something might come on, I'll watch it for five minutes. But I'm saving it as a gift for later, to watch those games and read those articles.

"So for now I don't even think about it. I don't care about them, they don't mean anything. We've got other work to do."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ian_thomsen/05/21/countdown.playoffs/index.html?eref=sircrc#ixzz0ofVMW5jl

ffadicted
05-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Goat

DesignatedT
05-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Goat

TIMMYD!
05-22-2010, 01:43 PM
Goat

honestfool84
05-22-2010, 02:05 PM
goat

goat

goat

+3

duhoh
05-22-2010, 03:05 PM
lol fire pop fags

Blackjack
05-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Goat

Goat

Goat

+3

http://www.vilaszoo.org/uploads/images/54021_goat.jpg

WTF do ya want!?!

Spursfan092120
05-22-2010, 05:18 PM

<b>
WTF do ya want!?!</b>
:lmao

Mel_13
05-22-2010, 05:21 PM

http://www.naturephoto-cz.com/photos/birds/goose-31159.jpg

Blackjack
05-22-2010, 05:38 PM
That's not good news Mel. Your mind's working like this sick bastard's -- I thought to do the same thing after posting. :lol

TheSpursFNRule
05-22-2010, 06:08 PM
Pop is the man. All you fucking idiots who want him fired should go root for the fucking team Lebron goes to you fucking front running morons.

+1!

m33p0
05-22-2010, 07:15 PM
"Yeah, that's true," he said. "You know what I'm looking forward to? When I do walk away, for the first time I'm going to watch the tapes of those Finals games. I'm going to read some of the articles about the players and the team and all that...
... But I'm saving it as a gift for later, to watch those games and read those articles.
Along with the rest of us, Pop. :toast

BadMotorscooter
05-22-2010, 07:48 PM
Pop is a joke. And he is finally realizing it. He wont ever coach without Duncan. He's gonna step down when Timmy does. He knows his meal ticket. He doesnt have the balls to stay on without Duncan. Popm is a scared joke. He said he should be fired if the Spurs dont win after the Jefferson trade. He hade Parker/Manu/Duncan/Jefferson.McDyess...and he still gets swept in the 2nd round...lol. Pop is the most overrated coach in the league. No coach would get swept with that line up.

Fabbs
05-22-2010, 08:21 PM
http://itech.dickinson.edu/chemistry/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/flock_of_sheep.jpg

MaNu4Tres
05-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Pop is a joke. And he is finally realizing it. He wont ever coach without Duncan. He's gonna step down when Timmy does. He knows his meal ticket. He doesnt have the balls to stay on without Duncan. Popm is a scared joke. He said he should be fired if the Spurs dont win after the Jefferson trade. He hade Parker/Manu/Duncan/Jefferson.McDyess...and he still gets swept in the 2nd round...lol. Pop is the most overrated coach in the league. No coach would get swept with that line up.

:lol

Sequ?

Who dares trolling at this hour?

pjjrfan
05-22-2010, 09:26 PM
I watch them all the time during the off season and that's the Spur's gift to me those 4 championships. A fifth one would make me happy but never as happy as that first one.

Blackjack
05-22-2010, 09:53 PM
That first one was special but because where I was in my life at that time, it didn't mean as much as it should've. I had been a much more detached fan during the first couple of Duncan years.

But '03? That one holds a special place in this Texans heart. Seeing the boys get by the Lakers after so much turmoil and misfortune. Seeing Dave go out on top. And really, I just loved that team.

It's easy to look back and say, "Of course you loved that team. Look at who they had!" But it was such an out-of-nowhere experience. Jack might has well have been Alonzo Gee coming into the season; Manu was a complete unknown and injured before he even hit the floor; and Tony, well, we really didn't know what we had. He was seemingly on his way out of town if they could lure Kidd.

And that's what was so amazing about it. They won in the year that was supposed to set up the title year run in '03-04. That's when they were supposed to come through, after they had added their max free-agent. But it all came together, or, perhaps, Tim Duncan put everyone together, because we saw the best there ever was to play the position at his best. I still contend his best would've lasted a couple years longer had he not played Summer ball and had that bad stretch of health from '03-04 to '06. But it was truly a sight to behold, that 2003 campaign.

All four of the championships have their own special, unique thing about them and I imagine it really is like asking which child you love more. But if the Spurs were to get No. 5 for Timmy and 4 for the Big 3, that one could possibly surpass all of them in my view. To see the greatest collection of stars in franchise history, the group that truly gave us the Golden Age of Spurs basketball go out and do it one more time after everyone's throw the dirt on their grave once again?

That'd be special. The Big 3 getting a send-off once reserved for the Admiral.

duhoh
05-23-2010, 12:35 AM
That first one was special but because where I was in my life at that time, it didn't mean as much as it should've. I had been a much more detached fan during the first couple of Duncan years.

But '03? That one holds a special place in this Texans heart. Seeing the boys get by the Lakers after so much turmoil and misfortune. Seeing Dave go out on top. And really, I just loved that team.

It's easy to look back and say, "Of course you loved that team. Look at who they had!" But it was such an out-of-nowhere experience. Jack might has well have been Alonzo Gee coming into the season; Manu was a complete unknown and injured before he even hit the floor; and Tony, well, we really didn't know what we had. He was seemingly on his way out of town if they could lure Kidd.

And that's what was so amazing about it. They won in the year that was supposed to set up the title year run in '03-04. That's when they were supposed to come through, after they had added their max free-agent. But it all came together, or, perhaps, Tim Duncan put everyone together, because we saw the best there ever was to play the position at his best. I still contend his best would've lasted a couple years longer had he not played Summer ball and had that bad stretch of health from '03-04 to '06. But it was truly a sight to behold, that 2003 campaign.

All four of the championships have their own special, unique thing about them and I imagine it really is like asking which child you love more. But if the Spurs were to get No. 5 for Timmy and 4 for the Big 3, that one could possibly surpass all of them in my view. To see the greatest collection of stars in franchise history, the group that truly gave us the Golden Age of Spurs basketball go out and do it one more time after everyone's throw the dirt on their grave once again?

:toast
respect. couldn't have said it any better. heck, to even send-off pop+duncan would be an amazing way to end their careers.

Danny.Zhu
05-23-2010, 01:20 AM
"So for now I don't even think about it. I don't care about them, they don't mean anything. We've got other work to do."

Like giving away Scola? Like signing Mason and trading for RJ? That really was a lot of work you have done.

D. Nile
05-23-2010, 01:27 AM
Ye need to hae faith in yer coach, muccas. He's the dogs bollocks there is, I dae believe. Sixes and sevens codger he is that much I know. But he'll hae the yobs ready for their next match and thou Spurs will prevail by beating the tom tit out of those poof Lakers or Celtics when the time comes. Cheers to the sixes and sevens olde coach. The dogs bollocks there ever was.

Toodle pip!

spurs10
05-23-2010, 01:35 AM
Wow 2003...seeing David win again on his last night....how unbelievably cool was that???!!!

pookenstein
05-23-2010, 07:51 AM

Man, that made me get my Championship DVD's and instantly watch the 03Finals again.
I neede that after the Champions League Final yesterday.:toast

DynastySpurs210
05-23-2010, 11:16 AM
G-O-A-T

http://adweek.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/goat_1.jpg

Fabbs
05-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Viewing finals game recordings for strategy tips is immature.
It might have snuffed the idea to shun Luis Scola in favor of that Greek guard who wanted to and did leave the U.S., with of course the overplaying of Mike Finley and Matt Bonner. Add recruiting Dick Jefferson for 15 mil Xs2, losing Bowen, etc.

I'll bet Phil Jackson, Pat Riley and staff don't view Finals reviews for strategy tips either. :downspin:

Blackjack
05-23-2010, 12:20 PM
:lol

howbouthemspurs
05-23-2010, 04:16 PM
Pop= Greatest coach in history!

Sisk
05-23-2010, 05:06 PM

WTF do ya want!?!

:lmao:lmao

Sisk
05-23-2010, 05:09 PM
Like giving away Scola? Like signing Mason and trading for RJ? That really was a lot of work you have done.

:rolleyes

cantthinkofanything
05-24-2010, 02:40 PM

You're an idiot. Any time an NBA player, coach, or analyst rates Pop, it is always as one of the greats and the word "overrated" never comes up. I've heard Phil and Pat as overrated but never Pop. You also smell like dookie.