PDA

View Full Version : The best center in the NBA Dwight Howard

JJ Hickson
05-22-2010, 10:37 PM
Another dominant performance tonight. Putting his team on his back to the tune of 7 points and 7 rebounds.

http://takeagamble.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/magic.jpg

Roddy Beaubois
05-22-2010, 10:48 PM
and a dominant -29

TheManFromAcme
05-22-2010, 10:50 PM
outstanding performance by Ike
:rolleyes
Jalen Rose on ESPN talked about how Dwight is Clark Kent right now, not Superman. Ouch...:lol

JJ Hickson
05-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Honest question...

If I start and play the same minutes as Howard tonight, do you think I put up better than 7 and 7?

BadOdor
05-22-2010, 10:56 PM
Honest question...

If I start and play the same minutes as Howard tonight, do you think I put up better than 7 and 7?

Does kobe like raping white women?

JoeTait75
05-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Honest question...

Against Boston? Absolutely. When LeBron is trying you're a tough match-up for that team.

BTW, just because Dewey Howard is the best center in today's NBA, doesn't mean he's all that good. It isn't exactly 1990 anymore as far as big men are concerned. So you can say Dewey is the best center in the league without conceding he's worth a shit on the offensive end.

DJ Mbenga
05-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Honest question...

7 points and 7 turnovers. yes

TheManFromAcme
05-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Honest question...

You just may JJ, you just may....

Lisa Leslie can double those stats!:lol

MaNu4Tres
05-22-2010, 11:01 PM
Well obviously 5 players playing defense> 1 player playing defense.

This ain't on Howard. None of his teammates have showed up on the defensive end.

I don't care how good one individual is, the best team always wins. Not the best player.

Ask Kobe Bryant how life was like when his team around him was pathetic from 2005-2007. No matter how good Kobe was, he didn't even make the playoffs one of those years.

TampaDude
05-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Another dominant performance tonight. Putting his team on its back (with legs spread) to the tune of 7 points and 7 rebounds.

:lol

Cane
05-22-2010, 11:08 PM
The worst "best big man in the league" of all time? :downspin:

DJ Mbenga
05-22-2010, 11:11 PM
did dwight howard have sex with rashard lewis' mom?

Venti Quattro
05-22-2010, 11:13 PM
DJ Mbenga would've shitted on Dwight Howard today.

dbestpro
05-22-2010, 11:35 PM
You would think that the young guns would start to get the message on how hard you have to work to get a ring. The only thing Howard, James, and Stoudamire have in common is excuses and talk. If Cuban were a player he would be right there in the same crowd. Responsibility and preparation are the missing ingredients for these wannabes.

SomeCallMeTim
05-22-2010, 11:43 PM
You would think that the young guns would start to get the message on how hard you have to work to get a ring. The only thing Howard, James, and Stoudamire have in common is excuses and talk. If Cuban were a player he would be right there in the same crowd. Responsibility and preparation are the missing ingredients for these wannabes.

One of these things is not like the other...

Look, Howard is a great player, but I admit that he has not addressed the serious flaws in his game (FT shooting and lack of a reliable/diverse post offensive game) that great teams can exploit.

And of course Amar'e's lack of skill/effort on D is now becoming a thing of legend.

But lumping LeBron in with those two is just ridiculous. His game is so complete on both ends that looking for weaknesses is splitting hairs. His team didn't get it done this year but that is less on him (he does share some responsibility of course) than it is on his teammates.

dbestpro
05-22-2010, 11:47 PM
LeBron does lack one critical ingredient. It's called leadership. He remains where Kobe use to be. The key to a great leader on the floor is that he makes the players around him better. Jordan was as good as it gets at that.

TD 21
05-22-2010, 11:56 PM

This ain't on Howard. None of his teammates have showed up on the defensive end.

I don't care how good one individual is, the best team always wins. Not the best player.

Ask Kobe Bryant how life was like when his team around him was pathetic from 2005-2007. No matter how good Kobe was, he didn't even make the playoffs one of those years.

It's partially on Howard. If you're a true superstar and supposed best big man in the game, then you should be able to punish teams for playing you straight up. I understand Perkins/Wallace play him better than anyone, fine, but still, his performance in this series hasn't been anywhere near good enough. He's supposed to be the best player in this series.

The best team doesn't always win, that's nonsense. Usually the best team wins, but not always. Were the '06 Heat really a better team than the '06 Mavs?

Since when was Bryant the best player in 05-07? Duncan was clearly the best player in the league then. Arguably had the Spurs a single play away (that he couldn't have done a thing about) from three straight championships.

Try as the media might with their revisionist history, the reality is Bryant was never (nor was he ever thought to be at the time in terms of consensus) the best player in the league.

MaNu4Tres
05-23-2010, 12:10 AM
It's partially on Howard. If you're a true superstar and supposed best big man in the game, then you should be able to punish teams for playing you straight up. I understand Perkins/Wallace play him better than anyone, fine, but still, his performance in this series hasn't been anywhere near good enough. He's supposed to be the best player in this series.

Dwight Howard is an elite defensive big man. A rare kind, more so than Dikembe and Alonzo Mourning were in their prime. Dwight Howard will never be an elite offensive big man with an array of skills to dominate a Conference Finals or Finals on the offensive end. Sorry he's not and most likely will never be. That's not the type of player he is. For you to put the blame on Howard because he should be punishing the Celtics on the offensive end, since they are playing him straight up isn't fair to him as a player. He's an elite defensive big man and rebounder. He's not an elite offensive player. There's a reason why two other players on his team averaged more points than he did throughout the season. Unfortunately those guys and Lewis haven't lived up to what they've done all year and Howard is to blame?

The best team doesn't always win, that's nonsense. Usually the best team wins, but not always. Were the '06 Heat really a better team than the '06 Mavs?

Since when was Bryant the best player in 05-07? Duncan was clearly the best player in the league then. Arguably had the Spurs a single play away (that he couldn't have done a thing about) from three straight championships.

I'm saying Bryant was the best player in the both Suns' series in 2005-2006 and 2006-2007, when his team lost. He was one of the top 5 players in the league when he didn't even make the playoffs in 2005. That's what I mean by just the best player doesn't win games, the best teams do.

TD 21
05-23-2010, 12:24 AM
Dwight Howard is an elite defensive big man. A rare kind, more so than Dikembe and Alonzo Mourning were in their prime. Dwight Howard will never be an elite offensive big man with an array of skills to dominate a Conference Finals or Finals on the offensive end. Sorry he's not and most likely will never be. That's not the type of player he is. For you to put the blame on Howard because he should be punishing the Celtics on the offensive end, since they are playing him straight up isn't fair to him as a player. He's an elite defensive big man and rebounder. He's not an elite offensive player. There's a reason why two other players on his team averaged more points than he did throughout the season. Unfortunately those guys and Lewis haven't lived up to what they've done all year and Howard is to blame?

I'm saying Bryant was the best player in the both Suns' series in 2005-2006 and 2006-2007, when his team lost. He was one of the top 5 players in the league when he didn't even make the playoffs in 2005. That's what I mean by just the best player doesn't win games, the best teams do.

I agree that that's what Howard is. I'm just saying if you're supposed to be what the league's marketing department and many of the people who cover the league for a living make him out to be, then you've got to perform better than he has on this stage. Criticism is completely fair. I'm not saying that he has to remind people of prime O'Neal/Duncan/Olajuwon, but he shouldn't be this inept either.

Howard is partially to blame, not fully. If he were, if not punishing the Celtics one on one coverage, at least playing significantly better than he is, maybe getting Perkins into foul trouble, overpowering Wallace, etc., then maybe they think about doubling, at least on occasion. That opens up clean looks for their shooters, namely Lewis.

I misunderstood what you were saying about Bryant. In that case, I agree.

ajh18
05-23-2010, 01:16 AM

Which is why it's so ridiculous when people point to that Hakeem/Admiral matchup as evidence of Hakeem "owning" David. That Rockets team was, much like this Celtics team, built for the playoffs. The Spurs' shooters didn't show up, Rodman spent half the series thinking about his next tattoo, and David was left to single-cover Hakeem while he got doubled and tripled. The better TEAM won that series, and was responsible for the discrepency in the two players' stats.

spursfan1000
05-23-2010, 01:29 AM
Okay he had a bad game, no need to make a thread over it.

ajh18
05-23-2010, 01:29 AM
Dwight Howard is an elite defensive big man. A rare kind, more so than Dikembe and Alonzo Mourning were in their prime.

Howard IS a great defensive big man, and a great rebounder, but while I'd give him the edge on Zo I wouldnt put him ahead of Dikimbe defensively. Dikimbe averaged 3.7 blks for the first 7 years if his career. Dwight is at 2.1 for his first 6 years, and has never eclipsed 3 bpg. Mutombo hit 4.5 bpg in '95-'96. Although, Howard is actually better on the offensive end.

Just for comparison, David Robinson was a better man-to-man defender than Howard, and averaged 3.6 blks for the first seven years of his career, while also averaging 26 ppg.

dirk4mvp
05-23-2010, 02:52 AM
Okay he had a bad game, no need to make a thread over it.

uh, why not?

spurs10
05-23-2010, 03:06 AM
Well said.

mogrovejo
05-23-2010, 08:26 AM
Same stuff was said about Jordan and Shaq. They were losers until they win. Heck, same thing was being said 3 years ago about Garnett.

mogrovejo
05-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Honest question...

If you had LeBron to play off, very probably.

If you were playing for Orlando, replacing Howard, you'd probably end the series with a 10/5 or something but the Celtics would score 130 every game.

spursfan1000
05-23-2010, 12:21 PM
uh, why not?

Players have a bad game all the time, are people going to make a thread for every time someone has a bad game?

Bob Lanier
05-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Same stuff was said about Jordan and Shaq. They were losers until they win. Heck, same thing was being said 3 years ago about Garnett.
Well, they were losers, on account of having lost. It's definitional. This apparent argument of yours that having won retroactively confers "winnerness" on them is bizarre.

mogrovejo
05-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Well, they were losers, on account of having lost. It's definitional. This apparent argument of yours that having won retroactively confers "winnerness" on them is bizarre.

So, you agree with me that Jordan and Shaq were losers until they won? Okay... what's exactly bizarre about my argument then?