PDA

View Full Version : So I'm about to graduate.....

BadOdor
05-23-2010, 05:52 PM
How much is getting a 9 to 5 job gonna suck?

Don't spare my feelings.

Sisk
05-23-2010, 06:10 PM
You should probably just be happy if you get a 9 to 5.

BadOdor
05-23-2010, 06:17 PM

Good point:depressed:depressed:depressed

ashbeeigh
05-23-2010, 06:23 PM

I agree. BadOdor probably should have started looking for a job at the start of the Fall semester.

But congratulations on graduating!

BadOdor
05-23-2010, 06:31 PM
I agree. BadOdor probably should have started looking for a job at the start of the Fall semester.

But congratulations on graduating!

Meh, what's the hurry? there's plenty of things to do while I look for a job.

Like writing a blog about how my life sucks and how eating fruit loops is the highlight of my day, you know?

ashbeeigh
05-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Meh, what's the hurry? there's plenty of things to do while I look for a job.

Like writing a blog about how my life sucks and how eating fruit loops is the highlight of my day, you know?

Well, it could be worse. Go for it.

Sisk
05-23-2010, 06:44 PM
What degree did you receive and from where?

Das Texan
05-23-2010, 06:45 PM
What's a 9-5 job?

BadOdor
05-23-2010, 06:46 PM
What degree did you receive and from where?

Got about 2 weeks left before graduation, and assuming everything goes okay(as it should) I would have an accounting degree from the University of California Santa Barbara.

BadOdor
05-23-2010, 06:47 PM
What's a 9-5 job?

Work it out using your texas education. lolz.

Sisk
05-23-2010, 06:51 PM
First tip: get the fuck out of California.

BadOdor
05-23-2010, 06:53 PM

I love California! Bay area is great, imho.

That being said, I probably could not afford to live here right now. Might have to live with my folks for a year or so, save some money for my own place.

Sisk
05-23-2010, 07:04 PM
That being said, I probably could not afford to live here right now. Might have to live with my folks for a year or so, save some money for my own place.

PXLSw_1_nPQ

But seriously, cost of living there is ABSURD.

marini martini
05-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Got about 2 weeks left before graduation, and assuming everything goes okay(as it should) I would have an accounting degree from the University of California Santa Barbara.

For the love of god, do your folks that probably paid your way through college, a favor and GTFO!!!:toast

Congrats if you would graduate!!!:lol

cornbread
05-23-2010, 07:26 PM
Work it out using your texas education. lolz.
California. lolz.

BadOdor
05-23-2010, 07:28 PM
California. lolz.

Sons why the hate? I hear you texans got almost as many queers as we do nowdays.

Now add the fact you are also probably a fat beaner, and it's clearly California>Texas.

jack sommerset
05-23-2010, 07:29 PM
I would have an accounting degree from the University of California Santa Barbara.

You're fucked!

ashbeeigh
05-23-2010, 07:31 PM
Sons why the hate?.

Texas unemployment rate 8.2% California unemployment rate 13 %. We aren't hating. We're just being realistic.

EmptyMan
05-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Sons why the hate? I hear you texans got almost as many queers as we do nowdays.

Now add the fact you are also probably a fat beaner, and it's clearly California>Texas.

lol Cali resident pulling the fat beaner card.

BadOdor
05-23-2010, 07:39 PM
Texas unemployment rate 8.2% California unemployment rate 13 %. We aren't hating. We're just being realistic.

Can you please gtfo my thread? I just think that I'll never get a job if someone like you keeps posting here.....god bless.

cornbread
05-23-2010, 07:39 PM

What hate are you talking about son? Passengers on a sinking ship who are still talking shit on the way down make me lolz.

Have fun living with your parents.

tlongII
05-23-2010, 07:44 PM
Study up for your CPA exam!

BadOdor
05-23-2010, 07:47 PM
Study up for your CPA exam!

That's definitely the plan. :toast

CuckingFunt
05-23-2010, 07:54 PM

I'm a lifelong Californian, love the state, and will probably miss a lot about it when I make the big move in a couple weeks, but... the economy is just atrocious right now, and getting worse.

Probably still better than where I'm headed, though.

BadOdor
05-23-2010, 07:58 PM
I'm a lifelong Californian, love the state, and will probably miss a lot about it when I make the big move in a couple weeks, but... the economy is just atrocious right now, and getting worse.

Probably still better than where I'm headed, though.

That bad, huh?:depressed

I'm honestly not in a hurry to land the "perfect" job in the area of study(lol ahsleebeigh). For example, I don't mind taking a part time job while studying for the CPA, or start giving out private tennis lessons again.

Another option is to go back to Israel and do my 6 month military service. That might look good on my resume.

Sisk
05-23-2010, 09:18 PM
Ohhhhhhhhh he's jewish

it all makes sense now

BlackSwordsMan
05-23-2010, 09:25 PM
border patrol
seems like an easy job

BadOdor
05-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Ohhhhhhhhh he's jewish

it all makes sense now

accounting is what us jews do:toast

Sisk
05-23-2010, 09:39 PM

The question is: do you know why?

But, the Border Patrol isn't some bullshit. Their training is pretty intense.

mavs>spurs2
05-23-2010, 09:57 PM
don't you have to pretty much have your masters before theyll even let you sit down for the CPA exam? i was intending to be an accounting major not so long ago but that shit fucking SUCKED, i guess it's just not for everyone. i switched to information systems i like it a lot better.

BadOdor
05-23-2010, 10:13 PM
The question is: do you know why?

But, the Border Patrol isn't some bullshit. Their training is pretty intense.

What's the pay like? sure shooting beaners is fun and all, but I want to be able to afford a lavish life style as well.

BadOdor
05-23-2010, 10:14 PM
don't you have to pretty much have your masters before theyll even let you sit down for the CPA exam? i was intending to be an accounting major not so long ago but that shit fucking SUCKED, i guess it's just not for everyone. i switched to information systems i like it a lot better.

Surprisingly enough, anyone with any type of degree can sit for the CPA. However, to get the actual license, you also need 2 years of experience working in the actual accounting field.

Your other option is 1 year with a degree with 225 college units, but I hear they are about to change this one.

Sisk
05-23-2010, 10:16 PM
What's the pay like? sure shooting beaners is fun and all, but I want to be able to afford a lavish life style as well.

I want to say they start at 40 or 60k. Can't remember now.

But you never answered the question of if you know why Jews always work with money

BadOdor
05-23-2010, 10:17 PM
But you never answered the question of if you know why Jews always work with money

For the same reason beaners are lazy and blacks steal.

It's in our blood.

Sisk
05-23-2010, 10:28 PM
For the same reason beaners are lazy and blacks steal.

It's in our blood.

Well, that's wrong. But nice try :toast

eyeh8u
05-23-2010, 11:59 PM

hey i got a screenplay can you give it to one of your uncles

ashbeeigh
05-24-2010, 09:13 AM

A lot of people already answered it already but...a lot of business majors will do a 5 year program where they have the 5th year to prep for the CPA test.

Drachen
05-24-2010, 09:24 AM
BadOdor, I just want you to know that you did say not to spare your feelings, but you got angry when people (rightly) told you to get out of California. However, if you are going to be an accountant, maybe you should stay in Cali, I hear they need all the help they can get with thier budget, you might get a government job out of this. Working for the state government 9-5, and 3 days a week!

tlongII
05-24-2010, 10:05 AM
If BadOdor gets his CPA he should have little trouble finding a job. Even in Cali. Oregon's unemployment is higher than Cali's I believe. I say do your military duty, hunker down and take a CPA Review course, pass the CPA, and then look for a job. If you can pass the CPA exam in one try you're a better man than me.

easjer
05-24-2010, 11:47 AM
I wouldn't go near the Cali gov't right now (nor the Texas one for that matter, given how badly we are getting hit right now). Furloughs galore.

Don't most states have varying requirements for the CPA exam? I'm trying to remember what my accounting assistants (2 MBA students we employ to help us with our financial reconciliations) were talking about in my office the other day; both of them are out of state and do not intend to stay in TX.

stretch
05-24-2010, 01:39 PM
its blows ass

BadOdor
05-24-2010, 02:14 PM
its blows ass

Real talk brah!

Tlong, thanks for the advise. I've talked to people who've taken it, and I hear it basically like studying for the SATx10. I don't know if I wanna do more hardcore studying right after I've graduated.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-24-2010, 02:18 PM

:lol I'm an accounting major as well.

lol Jews

BadOdor
05-24-2010, 02:19 PM

lol Jews

lol stereotypes:(

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-24-2010, 02:26 PM
Are you doing finance as well? At UA it's only 9 extra credits to be an accounting finance double major so that's what I'm doing with a minor in math.

BadOdor
05-24-2010, 02:28 PM
Are you doing finance as well? At UA it's only 9 extra credits to be an accounting finance double major so that's what I'm doing with a minor in math.

Nah, no such thing here. In fact, to be precise I'm an Business/Econ with an accounting emphasis, but really that's basically an accounting degree.

When you graduating?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-24-2010, 02:33 PM
Nah, no such thing here. In fact, to be precise I'm an Business/Econ with an accounting emphasis, but really that's basically an accounting degree.

When you graduating?

Not for awhile (I'm only 19). I was gonna do Econ but everyone I talked to said the best major was accounting and Finance and anything accounting related gets you a job out of college even in this bad economy. Idk why so many people in this thread are telling you you won't get a job, the business majors who aren't getting jobs out of college right now are the ones who are doing shit like "business management", people I know say businesses almost never hire those majors because it's shit they can already teach people who work for them.

Sisk
05-24-2010, 02:35 PM

lol Jews

wait.. you're jewish?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Yes

The good thing about accounting is that when you're in college, 90% of the kids taking it shit bricks when they try to understand it, so the people who are good at it always get tutoring jobs and sometimes can even make money doing other people's homework and shit.

BadOdor
05-24-2010, 02:39 PM
Not for awhile (I'm only 19). I was gonna do Econ but everyone I talked to said the best major was accounting and Finance and anything accounting related gets you a job out of college even in this bad economy. Idk why so many people in this thread are telling you you won't get a job, the business majors who aren't getting jobs out of college right now are the ones who are doing shit like "business management", people I know say businesses almost never hire those majors because it's shit they can already teach people who work for them.

Sons, you study hard and get a 3.5GPA or higher. If I could go back, I'd definitely get better grades. Those grades get you internships and those internships get you a job straight outta college. I know lots of people from the major with good grades who basically already have a 60k+ job lined up a quarter before they graduate.

La Migra
05-24-2010, 02:41 PM
border patrol
seems like an easy job

Only in Arizona.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-24-2010, 02:46 PM
Sons, you study hard and get a 3.5GPA or higher. If I could go back, I'd definitely get better grades. Those grades get you internships and those internships get you a job straight outta college. I know lots of people from the major with good grades who basically already have a 60k+ job lined up a quarter before they graduate.

Son I'm finally up to a 3.5 after last semester. I'm already pissed at myself for lack luster grades the first two semesters.

BadOdor
05-24-2010, 02:48 PM
Son I'm finally up to a 3.5 after last semester. I'm already pissed at myself for lack luster grades the first two semesters.

Sons you got a long way to go, just stock up on those easy GE's, and make sure your upper division GPA is as high as you can get it.

Mavs_man_41
05-24-2010, 02:58 PM
lol trying to keep a high gpa while studying accounting

BadOdor
05-24-2010, 03:00 PM

sons you niggas as south compton can keep passing cheap booze around the fire, but me and my brotha DoK want a better life style.

Not that there's anything wrong with being poor and uneducated, jus' sayin'.

Mavs_man_41
05-24-2010, 03:05 PM
sons you niggas as south compton can keep passing cheap booze around the fire, but me and my brotha DoK want a better life style.

Not that there's anything wrong with being poor and uneducated, jus' sayin'.

i'm saying that accounting is one of the harder degrees to earn and keep a high gpa in, i guess maybe it's different if you're a jew.

you aint know a brotha is in college too? i've had a couple accounting courses myself brah

BadOdor
05-24-2010, 03:06 PM
i'm saying that accounting is one of the harder degrees to earn and keep a high gpa in, i guess maybe it's different if you're a jew.

sons honestly nothing is very hard if you're willing to put the time to it.

Plus us jews are blessed with intellectuals gifts the rest of you niggas don't posses.

Mavs_man_41
05-24-2010, 03:08 PM
sons honestly nothing is very hard if you're willing to put the time to it.

Plus us jews are blessed with intellectuals gifts the rest of you niggas don't posses.

son after taking managerial accounting, although i made an A i just decided accounting wasn't right for me. I didn't want to struggle through the next several years in order to get a degree in something that bored the shit out of me. i'm pretty sure you have to have at least 150 college hours before you can sit for the CPA exam, which is why many schools are now offering masters degrees for business in only 5 years under an accelerated program cutting out a year of coursework.

BadOdor
05-24-2010, 03:20 PM
son after taking managerial accounting, although i made an A i just decided accounting wasn't right for me. I didn't want to struggle through the next several years in order to get a degree in something that bored the shit out of me. i'm pretty sure you have to have at least 150 college hours before you can sit for the CPA exam, which is why many schools are now offering masters degrees for business in only 5 years under an accelerated program cutting out a year of coursework.

Sons I hear ya. I don't particularly like accounting myself, but anyone who tells you to "follow your dreams" and get a job you "love" is lying to you. It's a good degree and will most likely you get you a job even in this economic climate.

As for the CPA, I believe you just need a bachelors, although it might be different in your state.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-24-2010, 03:35 PM

sons it's a different story with Jews. A Jew keeping a high GPA in accounting is like a black guy dunking a basketball. It just comes naturally.

eisfeld
05-24-2010, 04:23 PM
If you get a 9 to 5 job - be thankful and enjoy earning money
If you don't get a 9 to 5 job and you start working shifts - get pissed
If you get a flexitime job where you decide when to work or not (like me :P ) you hit the jackpot

Drachen
05-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Starting my MBA/F next wednesday. My first class . . . Managerial Accounting for Decision Making. I may be finding this thread in the coming weeks to ask a Jew for advice. One of my best friends is Jewish, but he is the worst Jew I know. He hates reading, he is bad at math, and he was the first person who I heard say "Bacon is the Cadillac of meats." Still I send him a card every Easter that basically says "Thank you for killing our lord." He generally sends a "thank you" card back that says "No Jews, No Chocolate Bunnies!"

Although I am a Finance major, I find accounting to be extremely boring, which is why I struggle with it, even though math and numbers have been my forte for a very long time (come to think of it, I do have a big nose and curly hair . . . nah, couldn't be).

tlongII
05-24-2010, 05:01 PM
Hey, I was an accounting major as an undergrad too and I'm not Jewish! I never studied though and ended up with a 3.0 GPA. I aced the GMAT and got into grad school with no problem and got my MBA.

DAF86
05-24-2010, 07:57 PM

you aint know a brotha is in college too? i've had a couple accounting courses myself brah

Accountancy isn't that hard imho (at least for now: I'm in the third year). I get good grades giving minimum effort, if you're good with numbers it isn't so demanding. I studied journalism for a year and for me it was way more demanding 'cause I had to read a lot, and I'm not much of a reader.

Mavs_man_41
05-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Accountancy isn't that hard imho (at least for now: I'm in the third year). I get good grades giving minimum effort, if you're good with numbers it isn't so demanding. I studied journalism for a year and for me it was way more demanding 'cause I had to read a lot, and I'm not much of a reader.

man i just always felt lost in accounting, id pass the shit but never felt like i fully understood the big picture.

jacobdrj
05-24-2010, 08:17 PM
I want to say they start at 40 or 60k. Can't remember now.

During the vast majority of the last 2500 years, Jews were forbidden to own land, or join most armies of the Roman, Christian, and Muslim dominated Europe and north Africa. Since Jews were effectively banned from producing their own food, Jews had to find other ways to survive.

Like any other living being, Jews played to their strengths: In this case, a religion and culture that held learning in the highest regard. Judaism is a highly litigious religion. For an orthodox Jew, learning is even an end unto itself!

Accounting, art, architecture, law, and science became rooted in their culture. Anything that did not involve land ownership. Not by choice, but by necessity.

Now, since we live in an information society, some Jews had a bit of a leg up.

Even as recently as 60 years ago, Jews were banned from land ownership in some areas of the US. Hollywood was effectively created by Jews who were effectively unwelcomed on the eastern seaboard.

DAF86
05-24-2010, 08:22 PM
man i just always felt lost in accounting, id pass the shit but never felt like i fully understood the big picture.

You have to like it and it also helps going to a highschool that has an accounting orientation.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-24-2010, 08:32 PM
You have to like it and it also helps going to a highschool that has an accounting orientation.

The problem in America is high school math classes suck for the most part and the requirements for graduation are pathetic. Because of the no child left behind act, math classes in HS are only supposed to prepare students for standardized testing, preparing students for college isn't the priority most of the time. I was lucky enough to go to a school with a great math department, but most students get to college and are mindfucked by stuff students in other countries learned in HS.

Mavs_man_41
05-24-2010, 08:32 PM

yeah i don't really mind it so much it's just it seems too damn complicated and too many things to remember, and we never had any accounting classes in high school. information systems just seems so much more up my alley so to speak.

Mavs_man_41
05-24-2010, 08:33 PM
The problem in America is high school math classes suck for the most part and the requirements for graduation are pathetic. Because of the no child left behind act, math classes in HS are only supposed to prepare students for standardized testing, preparing students for college isn't the priority most of the time. I was lucky enough to go to a school with a great math department, but most students get to college and are mindfucked by stuff students in other countries learned in HS.

honestly nothing about accounting has to do with math. the computations are all 3rd grade stuff. it's knowing what to do with the numbers, and what to add/subtract from what.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-24-2010, 08:36 PM
honestly nothing about accounting has to do with math. the computations are all 3rd grade stuff. it's knowing what to do with the numbers, and what to add/subtract from what.

There are also things like interest computation. From my experience though, people get so freaked out at having to remember what numbers to subtract from what, almost like numbers are all one big blur in their head and the site of them scatters their brain.

Mavs_man_41
05-24-2010, 08:41 PM
There are also things like interest computation. From my experience though, people get so freaked out at having to remember what numbers to subtract from what, almost like numbers are all one big blur in their head and the site of them scatters their brain.

YES, you just described me exactly

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-24-2010, 08:54 PM
Except for the fact you got an A in the class. The people I'm talking about need to re-take it.

Mavs_man_41
05-24-2010, 09:18 PM
LOL :lmao

Sisk
05-25-2010, 02:28 AM
During the vast majority of the last 2500 years, Jews were forbidden to own land, or join most armies of the Roman, Christian, and Muslim dominated Europe and north Africa. Since Jews were effectively banned from producing their own food, Jews had to find other ways to survive.

Like any other living being, Jews played to their strengths: In this case, a religion and culture that held learning in the highest regard. Judaism is a highly litigious religion. For an orthodox Jew, learning is even an end unto itself!

Accounting, art, architecture, law, and science became rooted in their culture. Anything that did not involve land ownership. Not by choice, but by necessity.

Now, since we live in an information society, some Jews had a bit of a leg up.

Even as recently as 60 years ago, Jews were banned from land ownership in some areas of the US. Hollywood was effectively created by Jews who were effectively unwelcomed on the eastern seaboard.

Well, you are correct. I was more looking for the answer that it was against the Church for Catholics to charge interest on loans and that's where the Jews came in. However, good answer either way :toast

BadOdor
05-25-2010, 07:34 AM
Sons don't stress out about "understanding the big picture" or what not. Once you graduate, you'll see that a lot of the stuff you learned is basically useless. It's all about the experience - you will learn what you need to on the job, really.

Ghazi
05-25-2010, 09:08 AM
Sons don't serve for the Israeli military; supporting terrorism surely wouldn't look good on your resume.

BadOdor
05-25-2010, 09:46 AM
Sons don't serve for the Israeli military; supporting terrorism surely wouldn't look good on your resume.

sons regulating them dirty palis would surely be fun, but imho I don't wanna waste 6 months doing that.

RandomGuy
05-25-2010, 02:22 PM
How much is getting a 9 to 5 job gonna suck?

Don't spare my feelings.

It depends.

If it is just 9 to 5 and they don't make you work unpaid overtime because you are salaried, then having money is a good thing.

Just getting a job in this climate is a good thing.

If you are just getting out of college, you probably should have been looking for a job for the last two years. If you don't have one now, yikes.

If you are just getting out of high school, good luck, your prospects are even worse. I would recommend getting your ass into college ASAFP.

spursfan09
05-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Cool! Is this a thread to gloat?

I'm not jewish so why am I so good at numbers?

I worked 20-25 hours a week as the accounting clerk at a company, went to school full time and managed a 3.5 in my major of accounting.

spursfan09
05-25-2010, 05:29 PM
O and I graduated but the economy sucks right now. I have my job for now at least though.

The Gemini Method
05-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Writing down names for possible tax preparation people...

Thanks y'all...

DJ Mbenga
05-25-2010, 06:03 PM
i regret applying for graduation. i should have stayed in school. now i gotta hope i get into a M.A. program